Physician Assisted Suicide

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would agree, death comes very slowly to some residents - when there is absolutely no hope and the person is in constant pain , then I do believe there is a place for this, however I believe the guidelines and procedure needs to be protected from abuse.
We take life in war - people killed to give us the freedom that so many of us have been blessed with throughout our life times.
So can I presume that you are against that as well?
Rita

Hi Rita,
When I worked in the Hospital, I often wondered why so many take so long to die and suffer continually. I had a thought one day that had to do with what God Himself might be doing in their hearts and minds while they suffer. Is He giving them more time to repent and to believe before their last breath? Just a thought...I thought that of my dad as well...He suffered from early 50's until the day The Lord took him home at 63. He did become saved eventually but, he never made it out of that hospital bed. My mom died 28 days later at the age of 59. She was a very sweet gentle and loving spirit who never stopped praying for her husband and children to come to Jesus. Her prayers were answered but, my dads suffering seemed to morph into her own and she was so very depressed...she seemed to have run out of anything to talk about so she became silent. This life is so hard, so hard. If I thought suicide was acceptable to God, I would have done it long ago, as I'm sure many would have too. It can be seen as a selfish act sometimes yet, if one is out of their mind with chronic pain, is that living? Some might have the faith to get through much suffering but, there are those who are weak in the faith and can, will and do take their lives. This is such a personal thread!

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Rita,
When I worked in the Hospital, I often wondered why so many take so long to die and suffer continually. I had a thought one day that had to do with what God Himself might be doing in their hearts and minds while they suffer. Is He giving them more time to repent and to believe before their last breath?
Exactly , we humans do not know what is in the mind of God and what HE is doing during this passage of death for that individual and what is taking place away from our eyes.

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish I could have took her pain
Instead I turned my head
I suffered while she suffered
And in my heart held her hand

So many things she did wrong
It is all that I could think
The chain and lock and boarded windows
Isolated and alone

But now she is gone
10 years in that home
And I wonder if she felt as he did
As I did
As we all
And I wonder If that extra time
Brought her the peace and forgiveness
That Christ gave me

I hope she no longer suffers
In the end she wanted to die
God had mercy
And I am sure she is well and alive

I wish for God to take my pain
He will not turn His head
He suffered so I don't have to suffer
And He will never let go of my hand

He saw me grow up in my home
He held us all
We were not alone
And as He forgives
I forgive

And as He took her pain
He has taken mine as well

He is a pain taker
A way maker
And a chain breaker

Reactions: Nancy and tzcho2

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imo, it's a little better to want to die when death is inevitable, then not ready to when that time comes. Death is a part of life and is a natural process all in this world must go through, but euthanasia and assisted suicide is not natural but it is man concocted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower
D

Dave L

I was horribly ill back in the 80s and prayed for healing. In this God provided a doctor who knew what it was and treated it successfully. Had God not used him and healed me without the use of means, I would not have known the cause and no doubt, I would have wandered back into the cause and became violently ill all over again. So I always look for healing through means or without means. But never rule out any solution God provides.

B

Butterfly

Hi Rita,
When I worked in the Hospital, I often wondered why so many take so long to die and suffer continually. I had a thought one day that had to do with what God Himself might be doing in their hearts and minds while they suffer. Is He giving them more time to repent and to believe before their last breath? Just a thought...I thought that of my dad as well...He suffered from early 50's until the day The Lord took him home at 63. He did become saved eventually but, he never made it out of that hospital bed. My mom died 28 days later at the age of 59. She was a very sweet gentle and loving spirit who never stopped praying for her husband and children to come to Jesus. Her prayers were answered but, my dads suffering seemed to morph into her own and she was so very depressed...she seemed to have run out of anything to talk about so she became silent. This life is so hard, so hard. If I thought suicide was acceptable to God, I would have done it long ago, as I'm sure many would have too. It can be seen as a selfish act sometimes yet, if one is out of their mind with chronic pain, is that living? Some might have the faith to get through much suffering but, there are those who are weak in the faith and can, will and do take their lives. This is such a personal thread!
There are somethings we just have to leave with God, he understands us so much more than anyone else, and I think his compassion and mercy is based on what he knows, not on what we think we know. My son still battles with suicidal thoughts, it's so much more complex than ' just wanting out of life '. Sorry about you losing both parents so near to one another, and when they were not really old. My mum had a good life, she died at 81 yrs old, we were on the path oh her having tests, she was in pain. I knelt and prayed so deeply one day, wasn't really sure what I was asking, two days later my mum died suddenly- she did not know the Lord, but I am convinced that the Lord did know her.
My views on who will be saved have changed in recent years - but I am still mulling things over !
Rita x

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing. This is very heart wrenching and I have been hurting inside on this subject today. Mainly thinking of my mom. That was a very hard time when we found out she only had like10% of her heart working. She asked the doctor to put her to sleep and the doctor sort of chuckled and said he couldnt do that . But that stuck with me. She got better, even gained some of her heart back. But sometimes I wonder if she did really want to live all those years in a nursing home. Because my older sister ended up visiting her once a week, but I was recovering in in patient programs with my own inner demons. It very much hurts to think my mom spent all that time wanting to die.

And I dont know if it would have hurt more if she were able to take her life or not.

But I understand there are two sides to everything. And your experience has opened my eyes more to why people believe physician induced suicide would be acceptable.

I guess you cant regret a decision when you are dead, but I've dealt with depression all my life. Ive had times I wanted to take my life .And if I got a terminal illness, Id probably feel the same way.

The line is decisions based on feelings and when it is really mercy to let a prson die. That is a very hard decision to put on someone in a lot of pain.

My heart hurts about it. I think more about my mom and those suffering in nursing homes. Before I went I to Teen Challenge I visited the nursing home quite often. I saw older/sick individuals. And I heard a couple moaning all the time. I think I got to leave something like this in God's hands and try not to judge a person's conviction about it. Because it isnt always black and white. At the time with my my mom with dementia in pain...it would have been black and white. It was hard when my mom told me her wishes were not to be resuscitated if something were to happen.

Post-surgery I was left to suffer and I saw, just like in Milgram's Psychological Experiment, that when someone in "authority" orders another to be cruel to another person, some people obediently do it. I suggest you look up this very disturbing psychological experiment. Doctors are being told by the almighty CDC to limit what and who is treated for pain and how long. That's why we have Veterans killing themselves in the parking lots of the VA. Our government was NEVER meant to be this powerful and there are people all over the country fighting the new limits. If Christians truly cared about others as they say then they should get involved in this travesty. Many suicides have already taken place. But if you are ever in physical agony and have a doctor stand there paternalistically telling you that you have to suffer because the CDC commanded it, then you'll know why some have taken their lives. You'll know that sense of hopelessness and all you see are days of grief and pain - there is no human on this earth who has the right to do that to another, and I think "Christians" do a real disservice to those who suffer physically, by making them feel like they're committing a mortal sin by wanting to opt out.

My friend and my cousin both ended their own lives. Instead of feeling it was a tragedy or that they were somehow weak, I felt happy that they were released from the physical suffering they endured. My views have evolved over the years, and after having seen and heard so much. I just hope that everyone would think before imposing their views on another who is suffering. I don't understand God on this one, but I know that I don't ever want to add to the pain of another.

Reactions: Helen

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I may be in the minority I believe assisted suicide is just as wrong as abortion. Both are murder, period. Oh and I am not young either

I think that you have the right to believe as you want; but what I don't believe you have the right to do is to impose your views on another. Neither do I. It's up to each person to decide what they can and can not handle.

Reactions: Willie T and Helen

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good discussion. I'm going somewhere else now. This is depressing. But I just got so angry. I understand both sides. I do lean more towards no physician assisted, just because of this power coming into the wrong hands. But this is why I feel the matter of life and death should be left in God's hands. One day this pain and suffering will be a thing of the past. But I really do pray to not have to experience a sort of suffering like that.

You may feel differently if you are ever forced to suffer - especially with the new heavy-handed CDC rules restricting pain medication. It has increased the number of suicides. I belong to a pain group and it's just a sick sick thing that has been done. I hope all Americans wake up to our dangerous slide towards becoming more like Nazi Germany. We are in very unusual times. I think we would all do well to pray for our country. I for one am looking forward to this world of pain and suffering to end. I just joined a group of intercessors to pray for our country. I urge everyone to do the same.

Reactions: Helen

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You may feel differently if you are ever forced to suffer - especially with the new heavy-handed CDC rules restricting pain medication. It has increased the number of suicides. I belong to a pain group and it's just a sick sick thing that has been done. I hope all Americans wake up to our dangerous slide towards becoming more like Nazi Germany. We are in very unusual times. I think we would all do well to pray for our country. I for one am looking forward to this world of pain and suffering to end. I just joined a group of intercessors to pray for our country. I urge everyone to do the same.

Belgium has death panels where they decide when an elderly should die. Do you really want that power to grow. If doctors from the CDC can limit medicine, they can surely give it with or without consent per government orders...

I don't think anyone has tried to impose their views on others on here. It definitely is a hard subject to think about.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are so much younger than you know. I could still bench press 225 at your age. I can't do 100 today.

I am very old. My disability has aged me quite a bit and I am near a half century old you yougin.

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are y'all fighting over the flinstone car. Both of y'all can have one. Lol.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's me:

b9d7e15fcccd45ab001f6557a86504ea--fred-flintstone-classic-cartoons.jpg

:D:D

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mom asked the doctor to "put her down" and lived ten more years after that! If the doctor was allowed that, she would have missed many more years.[/Q

My Wife was officially diagnosed to be full of Cancer on Oct 5th, she died on Oct 25th, under Hospice care, did I Kill My Wife, or did I administer pain Med's to end Her suffering, until She Passed, She did not commit Self Suicide, but Did I commit Murder!!! this will Haunt Me for the rest of My Life! YOU BE THE JUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are somethings we just have to leave with God, he understands us so much more than anyone else, and I think his compassion and mercy is based on what he knows, not on what we think we know. My son still battles with suicidal thoughts, it's so much more complex than ' just wanting out of life '. Sorry about you losing both parents so near to one another, and when they were not really old. My mum had a good life, she died at 81 yrs old, we were on the path oh her having tests, she was in pain. I knelt and prayed so deeply one day, wasn't really sure what I was asking, two days later my mum died suddenly- she did not know the Lord, but I am convinced that the Lord did know her.
My views on who will be saved have changed in recent years - but I am still mulling things over !
Rita x

Yes indeed, His ways are SOOOOO much higher than ours. It's the waiting and wondering that can take a Christian down the wrong road...like ME! Hahaha. We can have short memories when push comes to shove and the storms hit hard. Thanks for your condolences, it has been since 1990 that they died, my older sister 3 years later...I am convinced as to where they are as well. They all accepted Christ into their hearts and lived their lives with what they knew and understood...and they ALL understood the ONLY way to God is Jesus ♥ It's so hard to hear ones we love beg God to take them :( quality of life or lack thereof is huge. I am with you on the "who" will be saved anymore. Cannot allow it to cause fear or sadness...perfect love casts out fear! :)
This is such an emotional thread!
Blessings aplenty to you!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Of course you did no such thing Truth. You were a COMPASSIONATE husband that did not want to watch his wife live in such pain! You have been through so much in such a short time and, I assume are still reeling. I am glad to see you on here again. Several of us have been keeping you in prayer...I know that seems such a cliche thing to say yet...there it is. My heart hurts for you and your loss.
Now I will be praying that you will NOT have one inkling of guilt, you did what any loving spouse would do.
God bless and keep you in His presence,
In Him,
nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wish I could have took her pain
Instead I turned my head
I suffered while she suffered
And in my heart held her hand

So many things she did wrong
It is all that I could think
The chain and lock and boarded windows
Isolated and alone

But now she is gone
10 years in that home
And I wonder if she felt as he did
As I did
As we all
And I wonder If that extra time
Brought her the peace and forgiveness
That Christ gave me

I hope she no longer suffers
In the end she wanted to die
God had mercy
And I am sure she is well and alive

I wish for God to take my pain
He will not turn His head
He suffered so I don't have to suffer
And He will never let go of my hand

He saw me grow up in my home
He held us all
We were not alone
And as He forgives
I forgive

And as He took her pain
He has taken mine as well

He is a pain taker
A way maker
And a chain breaker

Very heartfelt @Mayflower , did you write that?? Sounds like something you would write. And, if you did...will you put music to it? I know you can sing so, make it yours!!! ♥

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very heartfelt @Mayflower , did you write that?? Sounds like something you would write. And, if you did...will you put music to it? I know you can sing so, make it yours!!! ♥

Yeh I wrote this, but Id take a different format for a song. I may just do that. If I do I will share. Thanks

Reactions: Nancy