Pin the Tail on the Antichrist - How does this popular evangelical "game" help or hurt the cause of

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mar 4, 2011
Hello All,

Happy Friday!

I've been pondering the modern American evangelical propensity to identify and/or speculate as to who might be "The Antichrist", and I would appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

I recently posted a blog poking some fun at this approach to "end times" speculation [link removed] presenting the Antichrist tagging process as a never-ending, ongoing game that is having an impact on the cause of Christ and the perception of His name in our culture.

Satire and/or caricatures aside, this is a serious matter and I would very much appreciate your thoughts as to how helpful or how damaging such popular evangelical "games" are, regardless of your personal eschatological perspective.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Have a good one!

John S

Jun 4, 2013
Pennsylvania
Welcome to the site.

Barack Obama is NOT the antichrist.

If someone would actually point out the antichrist, then it would be helpful. I have NEVER seen a name worth considering.
How hurtful is it? I don't know if it is, except for the person posting incorrect names. It makes that person look pretty foolish.

Mar 4, 2011
John S said:
Welcome to the site.

Barack Obama is NOT the antichrist.

If someone would actually point out the antichrist, then it would be helpful. I have NEVER seen a name worth considering.
How hurtful is it? I don't know if it is, except for the person posting incorrect names. It makes that person look pretty foolish.
Thank you, John!

I appreciate that.

And I agree that BO is not the Antichrist, of course.

I also agree with your noting how foolish the "Pin the Tail on the Antichrist" approach makes people look. My main concern along those lines is that those who call themselves Christians while playing those sorts of game do, by association, have an impact on His name and nature as perceived by the world.

Just another two cents there...

Thanks again and have a good one!

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Thank you folks for caring!

Due to my view of Satan personally being 'bound' having to work through the antichrist and his agencies, any attention drawn to the antichrist and the active 'battle' coming to pass even at this moment is a plus as most could care less anyway compared to decades ago.

The Antichrist in IIThess.2:3 is alive and well as a sequence of persons, only my opinion; however the real power directly behind him is another sequence of men controlling the world's economy and has a lot of spiritual control where I've learned decades ago not to push this issue too much further.

Old limited Jack

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quibbling about the identity of the AntiChrist is vanity. It is also a distraction. Time is better spent loving God and neighbor. Even if the antichrist actually was 1 person, knowing who it is changes nothing.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
aspen said:
Quibbling about the identity of the AntiChrist is vanity. It is also a distraction. Time is better spent loving God and neighbor. Even if the antichrist actually was 1 person, knowing who it is changes nothing.
The Bible wouldn't have warned us about what signs to look for to identify the son of perdition if it weren't relevant to us. Aside from that, as the old saying goes, we can walk and chew gum at the same time. People don't have to choose between loving God and neighbor and being knowledgeable in issues of prophesy.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prophecy? All prophecy points to Christ. The antichrist is mentioned only to show us that Christ's return will be quick. He has been present and will be present until Christ returns. Christ spent a lot of time pointing out the events that were occurring around Him in order to communicate that He was going to return quickly.

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
aspen said:
Prophecy? All prophecy points to Christ. The antichrist is mentioned only to show us that Christ's return will be quick. He has been present and will be present until Christ returns. Christ spent a lot of time pointing out the events that were occurring around Him in order to communicate that He was going to return quickly.
I guess St. Paul was just jerking us around in his 2nd letter to the Thessalonians. Ol' Paul loved to do that kind of thing...waste people's time on nonsense just for his amusement. I bet he even giggled as he thought of how seriously that church was taking his garrulous chatter. He told them about the signs of the antichrist just to give them something to do, so they won't languish in idle diversions.

No, seriously (giggle giggle) do you really think that the Bible pointedly emphasizes things we're just supposed to disregard?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you use mockery as a communication technique? It really is an ugly side of your online voice. I expect it from James White; I am always a bit shocked when I see a Catholic doing it.

Paul spoke about what he knew - just like all the Biblical writers. I could just as easily ask you sarcastically if you really think Paul believed that Christ would be returning after his life time?

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
aspen said:
Why do you use mockery as a communication technique? It really is an ugly side of your online voice. I expect it from James White, I am always a bit shocked when I see a Catholic doing it.

Paul spoke about what he knew - just like all the Biblical writers. I could just as easily ask you sarcastically if you really think Paul believed that Christ would be returning after his life time?
Paul used mockery too.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
FireBreathingChristian said:
Hello All,

Happy Friday!

I've been pondering the modern American evangelical propensity to identify and/or speculate as to who might be "The Antichrist", and I would appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

I recently posted a blog poking some fun at this approach to "end times" speculation [link removed] presenting the Antichrist tagging process as a never-ending, ongoing game that is having an impact on the cause of Christ and the perception of His name in our culture.

Satire and/or caricatures aside, this is a serious matter and I would very much appreciate your thoughts as to how helpful or how damaging such popular evangelical "games" are, regardless of your personal eschatological perspective.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Have a good one!
Interesting subject. Pardon me for asking, though.........what is 'the cause of Christ' mentioned in your lead post?

I could be wrong, but there appear to be as many 'causes' as there are preachers who wish to build their own religious empire.

Nobody really cares about End Times, or the gospel or the second coming (is it second or third or forth? I forget).

Everybody discusses it as though it was an event on another planet or at another time. Not here. Not now. Not us.

Because if it WAS here, if it IS now and if it IS US, then we are in a world of trouble and up trouble creek without a paddle.

Human nature being what it is, we all prefer to stick our heads up our ...... dark corners ..... and refuse to acknowledge that absolutely ANY of this has ANY meaning to ANY of us in terms of real pain and suffering and death. Because if ANY of this stuff is real, well .... its just not....that's all.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
Thank you folks for caring again!

Let's relook at the "lawlessness" in IIThess.2:9 again and see if we need to be concerned in today's time? IIThess.2:9, "..whose parousia (presence - not "coming" per our versions) is according to Satan's working in connection with all power and signs and wonders of a lie and in connection with all deceit of unrighteousness..." Not good!

By ascribing a parousia (presence) to the Antichrist a parallel is drawn between him and Christ yesterday, today, and tomorrows. Satan's working or operation; it's normated by Satan's way of working. What is this norm? Lying, deception, error, and their result, eternal destruction.

Instead of just looking for Christ's Return, I think we need to prepare for His Coming by putting on the full armor of God doing battle with the former this moment.

Old Jack's opinion

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
It should'nt be a matter of pin the tail...satan is the antichrist

Here is a list of some of the other names for Satan in the Bible. Satan plays many roles and by knowing them it will give us a better understanding to his method of operation. The Scripture reference is not a complete list of every time these names are used, it is there to give you an example of how it is used in the Bible.

Name

Reference

Definition

Abaddon

Revelation 9:11

a destroying angel

The accuser of our brethren

Revelation 12:10

against one in the assembly, i.e. a complaintant at law; specially, Satan

The adversary

I Peter 5:8

an opponent (in a lawsuit); specially, Satan (as the arch-enemy)

Apollyon

a destroyer (i.e. Satan)

Beelzebub

Matthew 12:24 Mark 3:22 Luke 11:15

dung-god; Beelzebul, a name of Satan

Belial

II Corinthians 6:15

worthlessness; Belial, as an epithet of Satan

the Devil

Matthew 4:1

a traducer; specially, Satan: false accuser, devil, slanderer.

dragon

Revelation 12:9 and 20:2

probably from an alternate form of derkomai (to look); a fabulous kind of serpent (perhaps as supposed to fascinate)

the enemy

Matthew 13:39

from a primary echtho (to hate); hateful (passively, odious, or actively, hostile); usually as a noun, an adversary (especially Satan)

father of all lies

John 8:44

a falsifier

god of this world

II Corinthians 4:4

god is used generically and refers to Satan

king of Babylon

Isaiah 14:4

confusion; Babel (i.e. Babylon), including Babylonia and the Babylonian empire

king of Tyrus

Ezekiel 28:12

a rock; Tsor, a place in Palestine. Satan is the false rock. Christ is the true Rock.

little horn

Daniel 7:8

a horn (as projecting); by implication, a flask, cornet; by resembl. an elephant's tooth (i.e. ivory), a corner (of the altar), a peak (of a mountain), a ray (of light); figuratively, power

Lucifer

Isaiah 14:12

(in the sense of brightness); the morning star: lucifer (the king of Babylon). Satan is the false morning star. Christ is the true morning Star.

man of sin

II Thessalonians 2:3

Satan was the first to sin. See Ezekiel 28:11-19

that old serpent

old = original or primeval
serpent = (through the idea of sharpness of vision); a snake, figuratively (as a type of sly cunning) an artful malicious person, especially Satan

power of darkness

Colossians 1:13

"shade" or a shadow (literally or figuratively [darkness of error or an adumbration])

prince of the power of the air

Ephesians 2:2

prince = a first (in rank or power)
power = privilege, i.e. (subjectively) force, capacity, competency, freedom, or (objectively) mastery (concretely, magistrate, superhuman, potentate, token of control), delegated influence

prince that shall come

Daniel 9:26

a commander (as occupying the front), civil, military or religious; generally (abstractly, plural), honorable themes. See II Thessalonians 2:3-4 and Revelation 12:7-9

prince of Tyrus

Ezekiel 28:2

a rock; Tsor, a place in Palestine. Satan is the false rock. Christ is the true Rock.

prince of this world

John 12:31

world = orderly arrangement, i.e. decoration; by implication, the world (in a wide or narrow sense, including its inhabitants, literally or figuratively [morally])

rulers of the darkness of this world

Ephesians 6:12

rulers = a world-ruler, an epithet of Satan
darkness = shadiness, i.e. obscurity (literally or figuratively)

Satan

Job 1:6

an opponent; especially (with the article prefixed) Satan, the arch-enemy of good.

serpent

Genesis 3:1

properly, to hiss, i.e. whisper a (magic) spell; generally, to prognosticate

son of perdition

John 17:12

ruin or loss (physical, spiritual or eternal) also to destroy fully (reflexively, to perish, or lose), literally or figuratively

the tempter

Matthew 4:3

to test (objectively), i.e. endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline

the wicked one

Matthew 13:19

hurtful, i.e. evil (properly, in effect or influence) figuratively, calamitous; also (passively) ill, i.e. diseased; but especially (morally) culpable, i.e. derelict, vicious, facinorous; neuter (singular) mischief, malice, or (plural) guilt; masculine (singular) the devil, or (plural) sinners

shturt678s

Apr 16, 2014
n2thelight said:

It should'nt be a matter of pin the tail...satan is the antichrist

Here is a list of some of the other names for Satan in the Bible. Satan plays many roles and by knowing them it will give us a better understanding to his method of operation. The Scripture reference is not a complete list of every time these names are used, it is there to give you an example of how it is used in the Bible.

Name
Reference
Definition
Abaddon

Abaddon = "Perdition," ie, I'm not from the RT camp; however even Mr. Kistemaker's Commentary got this one?

a destroying angel
The accuser of our brethren
Revelation 12:10

Hey, got one anyway, ie, here Satan is displayed as being defeated at the Cross having to work through his agencies till he's personally loosed at Rev.20:7.

against one in the assembly, i.e. a complaintant at law; specially, Satan

The adversary
I Peter 5:8
an opponent (in a lawsuit); specially, Satan (as the arch-enemy)
Apollyon
a destroyer (i.e. Satan)
Beelzebub
Matthew 12:24 Mark 3:22 Luke 11:15
dung-god; Beelzebul, a name of Satan
Belial
II Corinthians 6:15
worthlessness; Belial, as an epithet of Satan
the Devil
Matthew 4:1
a traducer; specially, Satan: false accuser, devil, slanderer.
dragon
probably from an alternate form of derkomai (to look); a fabulous kind of serpent (perhaps as supposed to fascinate)
the enemy
Matthew 13:39
from a primary echtho (to hate); hateful (passively, odious, or actively, hostile); usually as a noun, an adversary (especially Satan)
father of all lies
John 8:44
a falsifier
god of this world
II Corinthians 4:4
god is used generically and refers to Satan
king of Babylon
Isaiah 14:4
confusion; Babel (i.e. Babylon), including Babylonia and the Babylonian empire
king of Tyrus
Ezekiel 28:12
little horn
Daniel 7:8
a horn (as projecting); by implication, a flask, cornet; by resembl. an elephant's tooth (i.e. ivory), a corner (of the altar), a peak (of a mountain), a ray (of light); figuratively, power
Lucifer
Isaiah 14:12
(in the sense of brightness); the morning star: lucifer (the king of Babylon). Satan is the false morning star. Christ is the true morning Star.
man of sin
Satan was the first to sin. See Ezekiel 28:11-19
that old serpent
old = original or primeval
serpent = (through the idea of sharpness of vision); a snake, figuratively (as a type of sly cunning) an artful malicious person, especially Satan

power of darkness
Colossians 1:13
"shade" or a shadow (literally or figuratively [darkness of error or an adumbration])
prince of the power of the air
Ephesians 2:2
power = privilege, i.e. (subjectively) force, capacity, competency, freedom, or (objectively) mastery (concretely, magistrate, superhuman, potentate, token of control), delegated influence

prince that shall come
Daniel 9:26
a commander (as occupying the front), civil, military or religious; generally (abstractly, plural), honorable themes. See II Thessalonians 2:3-4 and Revelation 12:7-9
prince of Tyrus
Ezekiel 28:2
prince of this world
John 12:31
world = orderly arrangement, i.e. decoration; by implication, the world (in a wide or narrow sense, including its inhabitants, literally or figuratively [morally])

rulers of the darkness of this world
Ephesians 6:12
rulers = a world-ruler, an epithet of Satan
darkness = shadiness, i.e. obscurity (literally or figuratively)

Satan
Job 1:6
an opponent; especially (with the article prefixed) Satan, the arch-enemy of good.
serpent
Genesis 3:1
properly, to hiss, i.e. whisper a (magic) spell; generally, to prognosticate
son of perdition
John 17:12

ruin or loss (physical, spiritual or eternal) also to destroy fully (reflexively, to perish, or lose), literally or figuratively
the tempter
Matthew 4:3
to test (objectively), i.e. endeavor, scrutinize, entice, discipline
the wicked one
Matthew 13:19
hurtful, i.e. evil (properly, in effect or influence) figuratively, calamitous; also (passively) ill, i.e. diseased; but especially (morally) culpable, i.e. derelict, vicious, facinorous; neuter (singular) mischief, malice, or (plural) guilt; masculine (singular) the devil, or (plural) sinners

Thank you for your response!

Brother RANDOR aced this one,

Old, keeping score, Jack