"Please Report Heresy"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW....I just went into General Discussions and noticed several threads created by members who are of the Christian faith....I guess they are not aware of the rule regarding threads.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does free speech play a role in expressing one's beliefs? I could quite readily argue that two out of those four statements in the screenshot that are touted as unarguable absolute truths cannot be proved from scripture.
I certain could not embrace all four as many people here do. Unfortunately too many people will not admit even the possibility that something they believe or that their particular church group or that the majority of Christendom holds as truth might be in error.

In John 6 we see where Jesus would have walked on all alone rather than compromise on any point. Compromise to avoid arguments is not right, but the stand of too many that it must be "my way of the highway" is as I see it is as bad or worse.

This forum is not perfect, but it does allow discussion on many points of disagreement rather than simply automatically banning anyone who does not line up precisely with their Statement of Faith.

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This forum is not perfect, but it does allow discussion on many points of disagreement rather than simply automatically banning anyone who does not line up precisely with their Statement of Faith.
And I think that is so very important. If someone does believe in a dangerous error... Dangerous to him and others who may embrace it, it is far better to discuss and offer scriptural evidence of the truth and thus refuting the error, rather than just shelving him. Cancel culture is not acceptable no matter what the circumstances. Sadly, society today is being led by "influencers" and the number of followers one has. And of you dare to disagree with the popular opinion, you are a "denier", or guilty of hate speech. Worryingly I do not see that state of affairs turning around, but rather getting more intense and that directive to "dob in the heretics" is coming from government to neighbors of covid "heretics".
But even worse, is that soon, what is taking place in Christians forums in denying grow Christians a platform to express their views, is going to expand to "dobbing" in other Christians to government for daring to be different... Daring to believe the Bible in the face of secular authority... The final battle will be between brothers, just like the first.
"The time will come when those who kill you will think they do good service".

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Strong's Concordance
hairesis: choice, opinion
Original Word: αἵρεσις, εως, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: hairesis
Phonetic Spelling: (hah'-ee-res-is)
Definition: choice, opinion
Usage: a self-chosen opinion, a religious or philosophical sect, discord or contention.
HELPS Word-studies
139 haíresis (a feminine noun derived from 138 /hairéomai, "personally select, choose") – properly, a personal (decisive) choice.

139 /haíresis ("a strong, distinctive opinion") is used in the NT of individual "parties (sects)" that operated within Judaism. The term stresses the personal aspect of choice – and hence how being a Sadducee (Ac 5:17) was sharply distinguished from being a Pharisee (Ac 15:5; 26:5).

[As a feminine noun, 139 (haíresis) highlights the subjective (individual) nature of a specific (divisive) opinion.]

Word Origin
from haireó
Definition
choice, opinion
NASB Translation
factions (2), heresies (1), sect (6).

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And I think that is so very important. If someone does believe in a dangerous error... Dangerous to him and others who may embrace it, it is far better to discuss and offer scriptural evidence of the truth and thus refuting the error, rather than just shelving him.
That is precisely what many churches [offline physical church organizations] have been doing for a very long time. Most all of them claim to be Christian, but with very inflexible boundaries. Many forums are like that. When a person is young in the Lord, God allows a whole lot of leeway because of his immaturity... still a baby or at least not a mature adult yet.

How long does it take for a baby to become a mature adult in the flesh? We might be able to define that point, but it is certainly not the same in the spiritual. Too often people/churches use carnal logic to define spiritual boundaries. Who among us is qualified to draw the boundary lines and even to exclude a person from fellowship or membership...?

Cancel culture is not acceptable no matter what the circumstances. Sadly, society today is being led by "influencers" and the number of followers one has. And of you dare to disagree with the popular opinion, you are a "denier", or guilty of hate speech. Worryingly I do not see that state of affairs turning around, but rather getting more intense and that directive to "dob in the heretics" is coming from government to neighbors of covid "heretics".
Yes, too many insist on setting up God's Church like they do their own businesses or clubs or teams. Black and white rules based on what someone has decided God has said... or even not according to what He has said, but "common sense" as if God works according to men's common sense.

As to "Covid" that is one area I usually try to avoid, because of the, to me, often very unchristian like behaviors and attitudes so strongly expressed in support of political rather than medical viewpoints. There are a few people on here with some medical expertise, but God forbid if even they should go against what the pro or con person has decided is "gospel" with regard to Covid-19.

But even worse, is that soon, what is taking place in Christians forums in denying grow Christians a platform to express their views, is going to expand to "dobbing" in other Christians to government for daring to be different... Daring to believe the Bible in the face of secular authority... The final battle will be between brothers, just like the first.
"The time will come when those who kill you will think they do good service".
They have already been doing this in a measure which is probably is growing. The opposition on this forum to openness and this very thread confirm it. The majority seem to have their own definition of the word, Christian, and anyone who does not fit that definition are at times blackballed or called names for that reason alone. Never mind evidence!

Just tell someone...

you are SDA, or
you do not embrace the Trinity, or
Jesus is not God, or
you are Mormon, or
you are Jehovah's Witness, or
the Bible is not infallible...
and so forth...

...and someone will attack you with their names [e.g. cult] and cliches instead of discussing honestly actual specific differences of which they believe they are aware.

Last edited:

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When someone approaches a person, a group of people or an idea with good intentions then they shouldn’t be banned or shunned away.
But when they approach with Ill-intent, to troll, to provoke or cause chaos and mayhem then they should be banned immediately.

This exact approach is something that the church also takes. They won’t shun a “heretic” for denying Jesus but they approach with love and humility. But if the heretic comes to church, attacks people personally and starts spitting and breaking the icons, then the police is called.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A lesson from a teacher who have watched over the past several years.

Was made 08/17/2021

Reactions: amadeus

Gregory

Jan 8, 2021
utah
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think any of us completely understands the Lord, so to some degree, I guess we are all heretics.
At least we all do not understand the Lord in the same way. So for any given person, especially a rather fanatical Christian, anyone that does not understand God the way they do is a heretic. I don't think we want to go down that road.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
BTW....I just went into General Discussions and noticed several threads created by members who are of the Christian faith....I guess they are not aware of the rule regarding threads.
Sure they are. Lol Get with it, sister, you're slackin'! Time to get out the old fire'n'brimstone verses. :D

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure they are. Lol Get with it, sister, you're slackin'! Time to get out the old fire'n'brimstone verses. :D
I tried the fire and brimstone verses on a few people, but I think I'm going to stop doing that myself. But yeah:
i-loooooove-fire-and-brimstone-preaching.jpg

Reactions: Truman

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tried the fire and brimstone verses on a few people, but I think I'm going to stop doing that myself. But yeah:
i-loooooove-fire-and-brimstone-preaching.jpg
A couple of years before he was 10 years old, my little son told a neighbor girl his own age: "If you're not baptized in Jesus name, you're going to hell". Her mother came to visit my wife and rebuked her in no uncertain terms.

At close to the same age, my little daughter seeing some Hari Krisnas at the San Francisco airport soliciting offerings told her mother loudly so everyone around us, including the Hari Krisnas, could hear, "They're full of the devil, ain't they mama?" No one rebuked anyone that time but my wife's face turned very red...

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A couple of years before he was 10 years old, my little son told a neighbor girl his own age: "If you're not baptized in Jesus name, you're going to hell". Her mother came to visit my wife and rebuked her in no uncertain terms.

At close to the same age, my little daughter seeing some Hari Krisnas at the San Francisco airport soliciting offerings told her mother loudly so everyone around us, including the Hari Krisnas, could hear, "They're full of the devil, ain't they mama?" No one rebuked anyone that time but my wife's face turned very red...
Reminds me of someone in my family once. I was in line at Costco and she was saying the person in front of us was fat. I said "they can probably hear you". They returned "I tell them to their face". I was so embarrassed. But yeah it's kinda the same thing when people on these forums tell us that we're going to hell for something.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What is heresy? Where can we find a definitive description of what it is or is not?
Heresies are literally "divisions" caused by false teaching. While you may not find it "defined" in Scripture, any departure from Bible truth or Gospel truth may be regarded as heretical. The problem arises when those who themselves are promoting false doctrines call others heretics. Regardless, there is a body of Christian truth that can be and should be maintained by all Christians.

Reactions: Truman and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reminds me of someone in my family once. I was in line at Costco and she was saying the person in front of us was fat. I said "they can probably hear you". They returned "I tell them to their face". I was so embarrassed. But yeah it's kinda the same thing when people on these forums tell us that we're going to hell for something.
Yes, and I can remember too many times as a young man when I was embarrassed but had no words at all to speak.

Do you suppose the following verse is related?

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6

Reactions: dev553344

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heresies are literally "divisions" caused by false teaching. While you may not find it "defined" in Scripture, any departure from Bible truth or Gospel truth may be regarded as heretical. The problem arises when those who themselves are promoting false doctrines call others heretics. Regardless, there is a body of Christian truth that can be and should be maintained by all Christians.
I essentially agree, although the Way one comes to know what is or is not in that body of Truth will vary, will it not?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and I can remember too many times as a young man when I was embarrassed but had no words at all to speak.

Do you suppose the following verse is related?

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
Not sure. I've often related that verse to the peace of the Holy Spirit that these enemies of nature should be together and not indicated that they harmed each other. Kind of a prophecy of peace on earth when Jesus returns.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure. I've often related that verse to the peace of the Holy Spirit that these enemies of nature should be together and not indicated that they harmed each other. Kind of a prophecy of peace on earth when Jesus returns.
While that may so I would say that the verse also relates to what Jesus taught about little children here:

"And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven." Matt 18:3-4

Reactions: dev553344

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think any of us completely understands the Lord, so to some degree, I guess we are all heretics.
That is on you my friend . But paul knew he was no heretic . So do the lambs . THOSE who believe that JESUS ALONE IS THE ONLY WAY
those who believe the gospel and love er word of the LORD , are no heretics . THE ALL INCLUSIVE pile of dung that many churches now
preach , NOW THAT IS HERESAY and those are heretics . But for those who preach JESUS , those are no heretics .

Reactions: Marvelloustime