Pokemon Cards: Hidden occultism or harmless?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
This is a topic that I have experienced firsthand, and so I feel the need to put it out there for discussion. I will admit, I have already formed my opinion on this, but am curious to know what you guys think or if you have experienced something similar..

First, a Google search I did last year and more recently when the topic came up again:

https://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=pokemon+occult&pbx=1&oq=pokemon+occ&aq=1&aqi=g2g-s1g1&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=94l2159l0l4402l10l6l1l1l0l1l269l1086l1.2.3l6l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=d4bbda87bf5c44b5&biw=1366&bih=667

My story:

Ok, well over a decade ago, when Pokemon was new and highly popular, my brother and I were collectors of these cards. Being adolescent siblings, we had the occasional argument and even a small fight here and there. After we collected about 50 of them is when our behavior drastically changed.

I remember clearly, going into a K-mart and actually stealing a "rare" Pokemon card from a magazine. I had never stolen anything in my life up until that point, but that was only the beginning. Soon after that, we started having extreme fights. I'm embarrassed to say but we actually cursed, spat, and after a really bad fight my younger brother even went to the kitchen and got the butcher knife. Something in me told me he was actually going to use it, and I ran to my room and close the door, seconds later I had several knife holes in my door. :eek:

The worse thing in all this is that the Pokemon cards would never have even crossed our minds as the cause, because of how harmless they look. We eventually outgrew them (ran outta money) and got rid of them. Needless to say, the fighting stopped shortly after and we have never fought since.

I didn't come to realize the timing of all this until I stumbled upon a Christian site discussing having items in your home that are displeasing to God. I thought about it and realized how right they were about these cards that we use to own. The cards glorify mysticism and supernatural powers that these "harmless creatures" possess and encourage you to collect (in the cartoon they're "captured") as many as you can to become the ultimate Pokemon master.

My eyes have definitely been opened, what do you all think about this?

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not so sure if it was 'having them in your house that brought on bizarre behavior (your parents didn't act strange did they?) or if it was rather a matter of having them in your heart.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pokeymon does glorify magic and all that, but I had similar problems with my step brothers over women. Before that, we fought over personal belongings like rock androll shirts.

It seems more of a matter of what you percieve is valuable, not necessarily the charm of pokerman. Kids today don't seem as interested inthem. But lust is still there for something else.

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
They were at work when all of this happened. They didn't act out, no, and I wouldn't have remembered words said. We owned the cards and were the only ones that handled them and carried them around. I remember what was said between my brother and I because of the acting out along with it.

While we were physically "saved" and believers, that was the beginning and end of our faith. Basically, we were living worldly lives and didn't really personally know Jesus at all. So, yes, we were more susceptible to outside influences, but this would be extreme even for nonbelievers.

I'm not the type to go around calling everything without Jesus' name on it, evil; But I can't deny the sudden change in our behavior when we had those cards. What caused me to reexamine the cards was discovering other "harmless" devices of the occult aimed at children that I was naive of. (via youtube, salt added )

I don't fear any of it now that I personally know Jesus, but it makes me sick to my stomach, the prevalence of evil, masked as something harmless. I don't want people to be naive, like I was.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see what you are saying, but I work in the public school system (middle school ) and the kids don't seem to care about Pokemon anymore. Now it's skrawny pale vampires! Just like in 1985! Yea, still the occult, but the real demon is marketing to you.g folks.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Piker-chuuuuuuu!
I think there is a lot of stuff like this around.
As a dad myself i have watched shows like this and i give commentary on them to the nippers and they some times don't like what i have to say, ha ha!
One of the worst shows was Twilight, i had to let it run it's course but i was careful in how i went about it and it was so good when they came and said that show was crap now and to hear them bag it..

There is one called big bang theory, now that is a low life show if i ever seen one, the dregs and very destructive to the young mind. when i comment i get back you are ruining it !

Merlin is another to keep an eye on.

Marta

Mar 29, 2011
It's really scary how something that in and of itself can look and seem so innocent but end up causing such strife and trouble. Whew!

I know this isn't the same thing, but reading your post reminded me: I knew a girl who used to read Tarot cards. I knew her in highschool before she ever started doing this and she was such a sweet girl. After she began with the cards (she started it because she was alone and bored while her husband was at work each day, she was living in the country, recently married), it wasn't long until she and her sister were into drugs and she had a nervous breakdown and all kinds of weird things began happening in her house. She almost killed herself, then, thankfully, she became a Christian and destroyed the cards. Her entire life changed for the better. Her husband got saved, too and it's all great for her now. But I'll never forget going to visit her before she became a Christian and her laying those cards out on the table. I didn't want to offend her but I told her up front that that was a dangerous thing she was doing and that she could get hurt. I had a very unsettling feeling while I was visiting, as if I were in the same room with something extremely evil and vile. I'm so grateful she is saved now and free from all that and has a happy life!

Glad that you made it through that experience, Redeemed86. I think when we go through these experiences it can make future potential pitfalls easier to recognize as well as help us by giving us the wisdom to maybe guide a friend away from possible harm if we see them about to go down a wrong road. I know some people won't listen, but I always feel I have to try, and I would want someone to tell me as well.