Poll: Tattoo artist: if a Christian daughter/son of yours worked as one, would you be supportive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo artist: if a daughter/son of yours worked as a tattoo artist, would you be supportive?

• I would only really know what I think if I found myself in the situation described

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I personally don`t like them, (being of an older generation)
@Marilyn C I'm sure there is a lot of truth about it being a generational thing; but this is also changing, I reckon, as others on the forum have testified; FYI:

BeyondET said:
O yea my mother has one..I was a bit shocked really, she is 84 now but it was about 10 years ago, she got a dolphin on her wrist

shnarkle said:
One of the churches I go to has three quite elderly women, all widows, who recently went out and got themselves tattoos. .. There was no doubt they were all first tattoos. All three of them went out and got them together.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I agree, as long as one’s heart doesn’t condemn, may all be blessed in their decision(s)

Onto Him be our all, Not me
@Not me My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area: one can surmise she would have gone to the tattoo parlor joyously following her decision.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Not me My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area: one can surmise she would have gone to the tattoo parlor joyously following her decision.

Let one’s faith be one’s guiding factor….

May we all grow in and to Him for the glory of Him…. Be blessed, Not me :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
i've never seen them in my area of OR but there might be some places here

@shortangel

You would particularly expect to see tattoo parlors in and around places where there are hospitals, military garrisons, etc.

Heart2Soul said:
....part of being in the military. Got to get your tattoo if you're a real man. .. it is becoming a norm with health professionals...It is becoming a tool people are using to let others identify their faith. ..I do like the idea of Christian based tattoos

BluegrassRN said:
On my shift, only three don't have them (of 13 nurses). We have several nurses (including myself) who have visible tattoos; one gal has them on her wrists. ...I've had a few wives tell me of their husbands' tattoos after seeing mine. It's such a sweet, intimate, bonding moment, and I feel so privileged

juliannenw said:
I am a nurse in a cardiac ICU. I am also pretty heavily tattooed. I am a well educated, well rounded nurse, and was raised with strong morals and manners. .. I am an extremely traditional person.
allnurses dot com

It's not of course directly related to acquiring a military or nurse's uniform (but it may in so many cases be closely related). As such, there is likely an increasingly huge potential for faith based designs particularly for believers among those who would naturally acquire tattoos. (When young ppl reach 18, many of them will sign up for military or nursing training, etc., and when fellow trainees ask the young man or young woman a really typical question: 'Let me see your tattoo...I'll show you mine', for the believer a Bible verse/faith based design may well seem to be a frequent testimony opportunity too good to miss.)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It would depend on the art they are willing to put on peoples bodies.
@Ronald Nolette I have anyway talked with young ppl with Bible verses tattooed. (Psalm verse; John 3.16...) And they all would seem to have gone to the tattoo artist with witness tool reasons in mind.

I guess that the young man or woman who has had an arm or wrist tattooed with such Bible verses would instinctively be grateful for the tattoo artist profession and regard it as constructive.

Even believers with regret for past tattoos would be grateful indeed for a tattoo artist who can modify an existing design; e.g., the converted woman with an existing tattoo of an ef-bf's name who strongly desires to have a the name (e.g., 'BILL') changed by an artist to something that better expresses her life now (e.g., 'BIBLE' - a good artist can often work wonders in changing existing inkings). She, too, would likely be grateful for the tattoo artist profession and view it positively in various ways.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Heart2Soul

Your recent comment....

.. part of being in the military. Got to get your tattoo if you're a real man.

...really does tie in also with your earlier comment...

...it is becoming a norm with health professionals...It is becoming a tool people are using to let others identify their faith. ..

When nurses get to receive their first one, it's like they are following the similar thought:
Got to get your tattoo if you're a real man
with
Got to get your tattoo if you're a real nurse

Given the profusion of tattoos among nurses now, it probably means something like this, anyway...

In any case, for Christian nurses (as with Christian military personnel) it does open up a lot of witness opportunities with faith based tattoo designs, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Heart2Soul Thanks for your 'like' just now; and this comment made by BluegrassRN...

BluegrassRN said:
On my shift, only three don't have them (of 13 nurses). We have several nurses (including myself) who have visible tattoos
allnurses dot com

...definitely bears our your comment:
...it is becoming a norm with health professionals...

You are very familiar, of course, with the nursing world today.

It's becoming such an opportunity, anyway, for faith based testimony tattoo designs.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
.....Worth it, would be something the individual enduring the pain and getting the tat could claim. Not me. I am a bystander in that scenario.
:)
@Taken

True indeed, I'm sure.

While today a lot of past bystanders - indeed, conservative bystanders - have inexorably become participants...:

greenvneck said:
I would be hard-pressed to come up with more than a handful of names of my friends who DON'T have at least one tattoo--and we are all suburban homeschooling moms, ages ranging from early-30s to mid-50s, living in conservative North Texas.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

From a faith based witness tattoo perspective, the trend does open up a lot of testimony opportunities.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken

True indeed, I'm sure.

While today a lot of past bystanders - indeed, conservative bystanders - have inexorably become participants...:

greenvneck said:

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

From a faith based witness tattoo perspective, the trend does open up a lot of testimony opportunities.

Sure. And for all kinds of reasons...from advertising they believe, and are approachable as they being a believer....to they believe, and have a reminder to keep them in check.

And numerous reasons in-between.
Personal preferences. :)

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Sure. And for all kinds of reasons...from advertising they believe, and are approachable as they being a believer....to they believe, and have a reminder to keep them in check.

And numerous reasons in-between.
Personal preferences. :)
@Taken

Yes, like you say, very much a personal preference.

But collectively there has been a surge of such personal preferences, as so many are discovering it as a way of expressing oneself and as the demand for the profession's service is escalating very significantly:

Paula Castle took up tattooing after being made redundant from a sales job ..."I really did not want to do it. ...But I’m a bit of an all or nothing person so I said ‘yes’ and really pushed myself and I’ve not stopped...About 97% of my clients are female and that is universal across the board."
James McCarthy, Mirror dot co dot uk

And around those perspectives of belief which you describe rather tellingly, it has been embraced as an opportunity from age 18 right to the mature:

069e95d3dbbbf0a6429a252e115564d2.jpg
pinterest

As 1stCenturyLady said:
I did finally get my ears pierced ... Now my skin is two thin to get a scripture tat, which I wouldn't mind. Probably 1 John 3:23-24. And I don't mind shots and needles. I kinda like it.:cool:

Whereas years ago legalists might have tried to claim that that 'nice Christian ladies don't get tattoos' - supposedly; yet today it has emerged that it's rather wholesome to be a tattooed Christian woman, with all the resultant witness opportunities. As 1stCenturyLady describes it, so many are now saying 'I kinda like it'.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken

Yes, like you say, very much a personal preference.

But collectively there has been a surge of such personal preferences, as so many are discovering it as a way of expressing oneself and as the demand for the profession's service is escalating very significantly:

James McCarthy, Mirror dot co dot uk

And around those perspectives of belief which you describe rather tellingly, it has been embraced as an opportunity from age 18 right to the mature:

fbs.jpg

069e95d3dbbbf0a6429a252e115564d2.jpg
pinterest

I notice. Mimicking is what humans do, to make themselves uniquely different from everyone else.

Sort of like the FBI, unique, secret, and you can spot and identify them a mile away.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I notice. Mimicking is what humans do, to make themselves uniquely different from everyone else.

Sort of like the FBI, unique, secret, and you can spot and identify them a mile away.
@Taken

I think you missed the addendum to the last post:
As 1stCenturyLady said:
I did finally get my ears pierced ... Now my skin is two thin to get a scripture tat, which I wouldn't mind. Probably 1 John 3:23-24. And I don't mind shots and needles. I kinda like it.:cool:
Whereas years ago legalists might have tried to claim that that 'nice Christian ladies don't get tattoos' - supposedly; yet today it has emerged that it's rather wholesome to be a tattooed Christian woman, with all the resultant witness opportunities. As 1stCenturyLady describes it, so many are now saying 'I kinda like it'.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Back a bit
Well bro, I am not really interested in changing my tats to depict something more palatable as a believer. When people ask, I tell them my story and then tell them my new story as a believer. This also is a good talking point. Kinda like an old war scar
@Angelina I see your perspective.

I guess you're still glad to be using your tats in witness conversations as talking points....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Re-reading ...
My daughter is the oldest of my three children and has tattoos of her children's names on her wrists. My son who is the youngest has quite few tattoos - a celtic ring round his arm, 'Only God can judge me' down the other arm and some sort of wings across his shoulders. He was the first to get inked and to be honest I was easy with it. It was his choice.
Nice post there, @Pearl.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
... approachable as they being a believer....

@Taken

Yes, it can be all about approachability as a believer.

Rita said:
..shortly after getting my tattoo done .. the dentist ask me about it - it opened up a conversation that would not have come about at all..I honestly felt OK about getting the tattoo in the first place.( I had weighed everything up , talked to my pastor, reflected on scripture ) ...it did serve as an encouragment at the time. I have had quite a few conversations at work when people notice it.

The young lady with the John 3.16 wrist area tattoo with whom my wife and I spoke was really saying: "This is what I want ppl to talk to me about...."

As was suggested: the faith tattoo experience can serve to be an encouragement all round.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken

Yes, it can be all about approachability as a believer.

Rita said:

The young lady with the John 3.16 wrist area tattoo with whom my wife and I spoke was really saying: "This is what I want ppl to talk to me about...."

As was suggested: the faith tattoo experience can serve to be an encouragement all round.

Sure. Same as certain things signal, for others to Not approach...