Poll: Tattoo artist: if a Christian daughter/son of yours worked as one, would you be supportive?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Tattoo artist: if a daughter/son of yours worked as a tattoo artist, would you be supportive?

• I would only really know what I think if I found myself in the situation described

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...........earrings I do like very much. And also why earnings and tattoos are not similar. Tattoos are a rather more permanent fixture. I can slip in and out of my earring any time I like and choose whatever I like .
@Prim Well, yes and no.... remember that tattoos in cooler climates can disappear under sleeves for the winter and reappear in the warmer months...

Prim

Sep 13, 2022
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Prim Well, yes and no.... remember that tattoos in cooler climates can disappear under sleeves for the winter and reappear in the warmer months...
Very true. But the seasonal weather cycles, be it winter or summer don’t seem to discriminate when it comes to job interviews. Many Tattoos do seem very much to disappear under the long sleeve whatever the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Very true. But the seasonal weather cycles, be it winter or summer don’t seem to discriminate when it comes to job interviews. Many Tattoos do seem very much to disappear under the long sleeve whatever the season.
@Prim FYI: A Tattoo Won’t Hurt Your Job Prospects

The fact is, some demographics are heavily tattooed. For example, many nurses get tattoos that are proven to work as ice breakers and conversation starters with patients and their families:

BluegrassRN said:
More of the nurses that I work with have tattoos than do not. On my shift, only three don't have them (of 13 nurses). We have several nurses (including myself) who have visible tattoos; one gal has them on her wrists. ...I've had a few wives tell me of their husbands' tattoos after seeing mine. It's such a sweet, intimate, bonding moment, and I feel so privileged
source: allnurses dot com

So one can well imagine, then, Christian nurses deciding to use tattoo artists for faith based ink, and indeed going joyfully to the tattoo parlor.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Heart2Soul said:
... But for the sake of this discussion, let's stay on topic please.

...Got to get your tattoo if you're a real man.

@Heart2Soul Yes, you do have your finger on the pulse, so to speak; it really is true that a lot of 18 year olds do seriously think: Now I'm 18 and a real man I got to get my tattoo / Now I'm 18 and a real woman I got to get my tattoo.

@dhh712 points out anyway that this is what a lot of Christians - especially young ones - think:
It seems to be the right choice for a lot of Christians out there.

The strongly ingrained thinking does indeed seem variously to be, I've got to get my tattoo because it's a really effective testimony tool...because I'm now a real adult, etc.

Prim

Sep 13, 2022
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Prim FYI: A Tattoo Won’t Hurt Your Job Prospects
Near the end of the report which is 2016 it says there is still a certain negative evaluation on how a tattoo is perceived not only by management but how ink is also seen by customers and professional clients. But the writer confidently assures the reader that this was 6 yrs ago and things have changed very much. Perhaps the writer is right and times have changed. Farouk the reality still being is that the employee will decide ultimately on how she or he perceives employing someone with tattoos. And you fully know what those negative connotations be when it comes to the stigma of tattoos. Ranging from a lady being a conquered horse and a slut to a mans perspective of being from the bad side of town or a jail bird. The SS had their tattoos under their arm the Jews reluctantly had theirs forced upon them on their arm. Will it be a return to branding everyone with a tattoo you seem to think we will all willingly accept ? The world of tattoos has many meanings. Tribalism, spirituality occult, sexuality, secret meanings and yes also rebellion. That be the other side of the coin when weighing up getting a tattoo its not only a work related matter.

Reactions: Nancy

Prim

Sep 13, 2022
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Prim The article was in response to your comment about job interviews, anyway.
And so it was. But the reality is that a tattoo can affect every aspect of your life. That’s why I went further and explained it more thoroughly.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Reminds me about the 2nd WW when the Nazis put them on people when they entered concentration camps.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have tattoos and don’t care if people like them or not. ...Have thought about getting a new one which is a cross on top of my hand, reminding me of the Lord and to live for him daily which is hard for some even a struggle due to lack of understanding and knowledge.

@MatthewG So did you get any further forward with this plan?

So many Christians get some faith based tattooing done (and many probably have other ink already in any case). It's rather like saying: This is what really motivates me; this is what I feel really strongly about; happy about.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @mailmandan Thanks for your vote; I see that you voted Yes.

Getting some ink done now seems to have become something that so many conservative ppl are drawn to doing in order often to express what really motivates them and lies close to their heart; done sensibly and not addictively, and often faith based.

FHII said:
I was told it was addictive, but for me it was not. .. I don't regret it. .. Probably 75% of the congregation have tattoos, including myself and the Pastor .. I have a tattoo, I am not ashamed of it ..I also agree that it makes a statement of freedom in Christ. .. We got a lot of folks inked in our Church. Myself, the Pastor, his daughter and grand daughter included. Now, even my wife

GodsGrace said:
almost every young girl I know has some sort of tatoo.
Even those very conservative types.

It follows that a very great deal of Christian and conservative ppl would logically regard the tattoo artist profession positively (whatever old connotations of rough sailors/bikers the tattoo scene might once have suggested).

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

@MatthewG Sooner or later, going ahead and doing the faith tattoo thing seems to be something that so many Christians come round to with confidence, eventually.

Lady Crosstalk said:
I have Christian friends who have them. They usually have their favorite Bible verse tattooed on a wrist--sometimes on the lower leg.

Nancy said:
tattoos ... everyone and their grandmothers has them now... what can I say? Pretty much every one I know, and that includes Christians and myself, have a tattoo so...