Pope wants to change the Lord's Prayer

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think he is just telling you that truth333 has been blocked or suspended from the Site...his profile page is now blank. He may even have been banned. Time will tell.
Ahhh - thanks for deciphering bbyrd's post.
I can never quite tell what he's trying to say.

Reactions: Helen

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would have to say I believe he is correct. It makes it confusing for people who dont know God properly. Any one who knows God and the Word. Knows God would not temp anyone. So yeah hes right.

Ally.s.j

Nov 12, 2017
Manchester
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Here is the deal, the only time anybody can claim to represent Jesus is due to the holy spirit, who is the true representative of Jesus on earth. Maybe this is why we have so many different denominations that are all at each others throats for one reason or another, its because they all believe themselves to be God's vicar, not putting the holy spirit first.
You are doing the same here teaching others. So your saying I am right and you are wrong every time you preach here. As are all people here who say this is what it means.

Reactions: bbyrd009

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the deal, the only time anybody can claim to represent Jesus is due to the holy spirit, who is the true representative of Jesus on earth. Maybe this is why we have so many different denominations that are all at each others throats for one reason or another, its because they all believe themselves to be God's vicar, not putting the holy spirit first.
Joint aires we fully represent Him where ever we go. Ambasadors of Christ same thing. so yes we do represent Him
You are doing the same here teaching others. So your saying I am right and you are wrong every time you preach here. As are all people here who say this is what it means.
Since He has said, “I am the vine, you are the branches", why consider that all should be one branch, when He said "branches", meaning many?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would have to say I believe he is correct. It makes it confusing for people who dont know God properly. Any one who knows God and the Word. Knows God would not temp anyone. So yeah hes right.
This subject of temptation, whether it is from God or not, would pit James against Jesus...which is not true. James 1:13 Thus, the pope is not correct, but mistaken, not understanding the word in spirit.

If understood correctly, Jesus did not mean that God is a tempter or the tempter, but rather that He has driven men out from His presence to be tempted. Meaning He alone is in control of what men suffer, and the prayer is an acknowledgement of this, and indicates by what means and by whom a man may be spared.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just to be clear, the Pope does not have the authority to change Scripture.
The headline of the link in the OP is sensationalist nonsense, it has nothing to do with the content.

The current wording that says "lead us not into temptation" is not a good translation because God does not lead humans to sin, he says.

His suggestion is to use "do not let us fall into temptation" instead, he told Italian TV on Wednesday night.

The Lord's Prayer is the best-known prayer in Christianity.

The pontiff said France's Roman Catholic Church was now using the new wording "do not let us fall into temptation" as an alternative, and something similar should be used worldwide.

"Do not let me fall into temptation because it is I who fall, it is not God who throws me into temptation and then sees how I fell," he told TV2000, an Italian Catholic TV channel.

The essential meaning of Scripture is not changed.
Pope wants Lord's Prayer changed

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Do not let me fall into temptation because it is I who fall, it is not God who throws me into temptation and then sees how I fell," he told TV2000, an Italian Catholic TV channel.
And that is where he misspoke, for it is written:

Genesis 2:15-17
15 Then the Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying,Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

Genesis 3:6
6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil; I, the Lord, do all these things.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And that is where he misspoke, for it is written:

Genesis 2:15-17
15 Then the Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying,Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

Genesis 3:6
6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate. She also gave to her husband with her, and he ate.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and create evil; I, the Lord, do all these things.
None of your verses have anything to do with the pope's COMMENTARY on the Lord's Prayer. There is no change in the essential meaning of the Lord's Prayer, no matter how hard the media tries to convince you otherwise; and no matter how gullible you are.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
People come here to teach?
Since when?
I thought we came here to share the word of God.
To talk about God and theology.
To have some fellowship.
Who here has a PhD after their name?
If you don't, don't teach.

I'm not aiming this at you, just taking advantage of your post...
James 3:1

Reactions: aspen

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of your verses have anything to do with the pope's COMMENTARY on the Lord's Prayer. There is no change in the essential meaning of the Lord's Prayer, no matter how hard the media tries to convince you otherwise; and no matter how gullible you are.
You and the pope deny that God put us here in a world where temptations abound, then?

I guess that makes you both atheists.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
People come here to teach?
Since when?
I thought we came here to share the word of God.
To talk about God and theology.
To have some fellowship.

Who here has a PhD after their name?
If you don't, don't teach.

I'm not aiming this at you, just taking advantage of your post...
James 3:1

Well said!
Now if we all believed that, and did just that when we are posting on here. :D

We can all ( and we all do) share what we believe to be correct...yet it is when someone :rolleyes: does the 'angry thing' and declare that they, and they only poses and see truth perfectly ..and everyone else is wrong that people get discouraged at strife and leave.
That is what brings the tone and atmosphere of the Site down and releases the negative energy into the mix.
Trouble is, because most of us can disagree pleasantly , they stand out like sore thumbs. Sad.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Well said!
Now if we all believed that, and did just that when we are posting on here. :D

We can all ( and we all do) share what we believe to be correct...yet it is when someone :rolleyes: does the 'angry thing' and declare that they, and they only poses and see truth perfectly ..and everyone else is wrong that people get discouraged at strife and leave.
That is what brings the tone and atmosphere of the Site down and releases the negative energy into the mix.
Trouble is, because most of us can disagree pleasantly , they stand out like sore thumbs. Sad.
Hi By Grace, I myself don't certainly come here to teach anybody anything. Seems to me we have a nice bunch of very intelligent persons here.

I do get caught up at times by certain topics that are very dear to me.
For instance eternal security. I believe it's possible to lose one's salvation if they abandon God. Some don't believe this. But I'm nice about and use scripture.

Works. People, even you, have been affected by churches they've been to where they're taught that works save. Well, they don't, but we can't carry this so far as to say that we're not required to obey God.

As long as we're civil to each other, I don't have a problem.
There's only one poster here that gives me a headache...

Reactions: epostle1 and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi By Grace, I myself don't certainly come here to teach anybody anything. Seems to me we have a nice bunch of very intelligent persons here.

:D Agree, I try hard to catch up with all the "intelligent" ones ...but, that was a gift I was not given...my dad kept it all...lol
All us kids have my mum's qualities...but not dad's brains. :(

I am running fast to keep up here. :)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
:D Agree, I try hard to catch up with all the "intelligent" ones ...but, that was a gift I was not given...my dad kept it all...lol
All us kids have my mum's qualities...but not dad's brains. :(

I am running fast to keep up here. :)
LOL
God doesn't call those that have ability
He gives ability to those that are called.
You shouldn't cut yourself short...

Reactions: epostle1 and Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You and the pope deny that God put us here in a world where temptations abound, then?

I guess that makes you both atheists.
I'm just getting here, but I can say just from your post that something is misunderstood.

Who said temptations don't abound?
I'm sure @kepha31 didn't say this. Anyone alive and going out the door knows temptations are all over the place --- even if they stay home.

But WHO leads us into temptation?
Is it God Himself?

No? Then it's good to change the prayer.
Know why? Because we are, all of us, being dumbed down and we don't even understand a prayer anymore.

"And lead us not into temptation"

Old English.
Yeah. It sounds like God is leading us into temptation.
I had to explain this to every religion class I ever had.
It needs to be changed and

I wish someone would tell me the NEW wording...

Thanks.
:)

Reactions: Helen

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just getting here, but I can say just from your post that something is misunderstood.

Who said temptations don't abound?
I'm sure @kepha31 didn't say this. Anyone alive and going out the door knows temptations are all over the place --- even if they stay home.

But WHO leads us into temptation?
Is it God Himself?

No? Then it's good to change the prayer.
Know why? Because we are, all of us, being dumbed down and we don't even understand a prayer anymore.

"And lead us not into temptation"

Old English.
Yeah. It sounds like God is leading us into temptation.
I had to explain this to every religion class I ever had.
It needs to be changed and

I wish someone would tell me the NEW wording...

Thanks.
:)
What I said stands: "lead us not into temptation" is accurate.

If you or kepha31 or the pope would have said, the wording should say, "Do not prolong our temptation", then I am sure you would have Jesus' blessing. But, as it is "this is the day the Lord has made" which has a "sufficient" amount of evil...in accordance with His will. To change the wording or the meaning, is against God's will.

Jesus also said, "Not My will, but your will be done." Next, the pope will want to change Jesus' response, to: "Surely Father, you don't want me to drink this cup...so I won't."