Possible antichrist candidate: Emmanuel Macron of France

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
What’s not to understand? You asked me how “I could say Revelation was not for ‘us’”. And I replied that I wasn’t saying that at all. I had never said that. I was saying that that’s what Dispensationals are saying. And then I went on to explain why and how I think that’s what they are doing. Could I be wrong? Possibly, but I think I made sense.

Hmm. Rev 20 mentions the Millennium, sure. But, putting aside the debate on whether or not that timeframe is literal, or whether it’s future...any of that...let’s say it’s exactly as you say it is: something that occurs after Christ’s second coming, but before eternity is ushered in. That’s still pretty much all the info Revelation gives on it. In fact, Rev gives more detail on the new heavens and new earth than it does this “Millennium”. We know Satan will be bound from deceiving the nations, with the express intent to gather them for war against Saints, and that He will be defeated when “fire comes down from heaven”.
We also know that those who take part of the first resurrection will reign will Christ. However...this is a trait given that will also be present in eternity, one wonders if there is a distinction (Matt 25:27).
My point being, it’s all well and good to try and distract those criticising Dispensational teaching by adding the Millennium into the mix, but the Millennium is also “pushed off into the future” according to you. In many ways, it may as well be eternity itself, for those souls in the first century reading Revelation. It doesn’t change the fact that by saying all of Revelation is future, you discount those people from drawing what they clearly did from the book. You are dismissing the historical weight of it, as well as the context!

I’m sorry, now it’s my turn to not understand you.

Well...see...I’m not entirely sure you can back that claim up. Firstly, many, many of the scenes and events happen in heaven. Have you been given a peak into heaven lately? Know what they’re up to?
Secondly, if we look at things like the 4 horseman...the things they represent have been galloping over the earth for some time now. Surely you’ve read of Warlords, Dictators, wars, famines, diseases...you name it. Just because we live in a blessed Country does not mean the majority of the world is not suffering.
When we consider the highly symbolic nature of Revelation, then yes, we can say many things have happened. By all means, not all. Because of space limitations, and ‘cause I’m on holidays and trying to bang this out on my phone, I won’t go into it, but Revelation outright informs us at the beginning that we are to take it in symbols and images. Do try and takes those things literally is to read the book in a manner neither John nor Christ intended.

How can you say that John wrote are Revelation to that generation and to every generation after it, if the events are only for those at the end?
And I ask this because of WHAT the book is written FOR. It is written, specifically, for a Christian audience who is undergoing severe persecution for their faith. It is written, specifically, to SHOW...in images, since these things cannot be put into words, what was happening in heaven, around the throne of God, to show that in everything, God is triumphing and his purposes are prevailing. That his people, though perishing, are reigning with Christ in fine linen, singing joyfully amongst the angels. It shows a battle, between the spiritual forces of good and evil that has already been won.
These are the great themes of Revelation, and they are pertinent for every suffering generation, because this is a battle that takes place every generation. The war will wage until the end. Yes, Revelation describes the end, but it also describes The interim and the beginning.
When Dispensationalist claim that from the letters onward it only speaks of that last generation, you may as well have had John write to those churches (and all the ones after)...’never mind, chin up...or not, God will probably come through in the end. But that’s not now, so carry on.’
No! Even as we struggle there are forces behind us triumphing! And I know Dispensationalist agree with this, I just don’t know why they can’t see Revelation as saying this!

2 Peter 3:10 would sort of disagree with you. Peter tells us that when that day comes, when Christ returns, the heavens and earth will pass away with a roar and be burned up.

Well, I suppose it’s subjective. Because it’s not the Rapture or even “Dispensationalists” that I object to, its the gap-filled logic that fills their doctrine. I know many Dispensationalists, my Grandparents were, and man, they’re all just GOOD people. But they’re all just so locked onto this doctrine and idea, that it’s like they can’t see these holes. They don’t even want to discuss them, and they certainly haven’t been able to answer them. They seem to think repeating their punchlines over and over should do the trick, but they’re fundamentally missing the problem: what they say doesn’t fit with scripture. It’s not there in context, it’s not there grammatically and it’s not there historically and in genre typology.
I would say a key verse for understanding dispensations is 1 Corinthians 10.32.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would say a key verse for understanding dispensations is 1 Corinthians 10.32.

Hi! Could you explain this a bit more, please?

Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, - 1 Corinthians 10:32

I’m not exactly sure how this is key to understanding dispensations.
Thanks.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi! Could you explain this a bit more, please?

Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, - 1 Corinthians 10:32

I’m not exactly sure how this is key to understanding dispensations.
Thanks.
The three groups of people to watch for; not to confuse Israel and the church.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
="Naomi25, post: 492000, member: 7237"]What’s not to understand? You asked me how “I could say Revelation was not for ‘us’”. And I replied that I wasn’t saying that at all. I had never said that. I was saying that that’s what Dispensationals are saying. And then I went on to explain why and how I think that’s what they are doing. Could I be wrong? Possibly, but I think I made sense.

That is false. Cut revelation as for all but Christians will not be in the tribulation.

Hmm. Rev 20 mentions the Millennium, sure. But, putting aside the debate on whether or not that timeframe is literal, or whether it’s future...any of that...let’s say it’s exactly as you say it is: something that occurs after Christ’s second coming, but before eternity is ushered in. That’s still pretty much all the info Revelation gives on it. In fact, Rev gives more detail on the new heavens and new earth than it does this “Millennium”. We know Satan will be bound from deceiving the nations, with the express intent to gather them for war against Saints, and that He will be defeated when “fire comes down from heaven”.

The MK is both literal and future.

The OT gives a lot more information on the MK. The nations that attacked Israel will be required to do annual pilgrimages to Jerusalem. Life Spans will go back to what they were before the flood. Christ will rule the world from Jerusalem.

We also know that those who take part of the first resurrection will reign will Christ. However...this is a trait given that will also be present in eternity, one wonders if there is a distinction (Matt 25:27).

Matthew 25:27 New International Version (NIV)
27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

I don't see any where the church will rule in in eternity. Rule whom?

My point being, it’s all well and good to try and distract those criticising Dispensational teaching by adding the Millennium into the mix, but the Millennium is also “pushed off into the future” according to you. In many ways, it may as well be eternity itself, for those souls in the first century reading Revelation. It doesn’t change the fact that by saying all of Revelation is future, you discount those people from drawing what they clearly did from the book. You are dismissing the historical weight of it, as well as the context!

The MK has always been part of the Mix.

I repeat. Nothing in revelation after the seventh church verses happened in the first century. Nothing.

I’m sorry, now it’s my turn to not understand you.

Well...see...I’m not entirely sure you can back that claim up. Firstly, many, many of the scenes and events happen in heaven. Have you been given a peak into heaven lately? Know what they’re up to?

Which heaven? There will be signs and wonders in the first and second heavens, the sky and outer space. Those things that happen in the third heaven are unmistakably labeled as third heaven.
Secondly, if we look at things like the 4 horseman...the things they represent have been galloping over the earth for some time now.

The first horse is the AC. Has not happened.
Surely you’ve read of Warlords, Dictators, wars, diseases...you name it. Just because we live in a blessed Country does not mean the majority of the world is not suffering.

But not on this scale of revelation.

When we consider the highly symbolic nature of Revelation, then yes, we can say many things have happened. By all means, not all.

You can only make that argument if you dismiss that it is literal.

Because of space limitations, and ‘cause I’m on holidays and trying to bang this out on my phone, I won’t go into it, but Revelation outright informs us at the beginning that we are to take it in symbols and images. Do try and takes those things literally is to read the book in a manner neither John nor Christ intended.

It in his literal. Otherwise it completely loses any kind of understandable meaning.

You're doing this a phone? wow!

How can you say that John wrote are Revelation to that generation and to every generation after it, if the events are only for those at the end?

I've already answered that twice.
And I ask this because of WHAT the book is written FOR. It is written, specifically, for a Christian audience who is undergoing severe persecution for their faith.

Those seven churches then were not going through Severe persecution.

I
t is written, specifically, to SHOW...in images, since these things cannot be put into words, what was happening in heaven, around the throne of God, to show that in everything, God is triumphing and his purposes are prevailing. That his people, though perishing, are reigning with Christ in fine linen, singing joyfully amongst the angels. It shows a battle, between the spiritual forces of good and evil that has already been won.
These are the great themes of Revelation, and they are pertinent for every suffering generation, because this is a battle that takes place every generation. The war will wage until the end. Yes, Revelation describes the end, but it also describes The interim and the beginning.

I disagree
When Dispensationalist claim that from the letters onward it only speaks of that last generation, you may as well have had John write to those churches (and all the ones after)...’never mind, chin up...or not, God will probably come through in the end. But that’s not now, so carry on.’
No! Even as we struggle there are forces behind us triumphing! And I know Dispensationalist agree with this, I just don’t know why they can’t see Revelation as saying this!

It is not the last generation. The earth will continue at least another 1000 years.

2 Peter 3:10 would sort of disagree with you. Peter tells us that when that day comes, when Christ returns, the heavens and earth will pass away with a roar and be burned up.

1000 years after the second coming at the end of the MK.

Well, I suppose it’s subjective. Because it’s not the Rapture or even “Dispensationalists” that I object to, its the gap-filled logic that fills their doctrine. I know many Dispensationalists, my Grandparents were, and man, they’re all just GOOD people. But they’re all just so locked onto this doctrine and idea, that it’s like they can’t see these holes. They don’t even want to discuss them, and they certainly haven’t been able to answer them. They seem to think repeating their punchlines over and over should do the trick, but they’re fundamentally missing the problem: what they say doesn’t fit with scripture. It’s not there in context, it’s not there grammatically and it’s not there historically and in genre typology.

The only problem is you cannot read literally, but figuratively to find what you want to find.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There are Jews, [or more correctly; those who call themselves Jews] citizens of the State of Israel.
There are Greeks, [or more correctly; those who do not call themselves Jews] of every other race.
Then there is the Church of Jesus, that consists of people from every tribe, race, nation and language, Jew and Greek. Ephesians 2:11-18, Galatians 3:26-29, +

So in the eyes of God there are actually just two groups; those who believe in Him and keep His Commandments and those who do not. Your notion of a people, namely the Jews; having any special place with God, is wrong and contradicts the Bible.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are Jews, [or more correctly; those who call themselves Jews] citizens of the State of Israel.
There are Greeks, [or more correctly; those who do not call themselves Jews] of every other race.
Then there is the Church of Jesus, that consists of people from every tribe, race, nation and language, Jew and Greek. Ephesians 2:11-18, Galatians 3:26-29, +

So in the eyes of God there are actually just two groups; those who believe in Him and keep His Commandments and those who do not. Your notion of a people, namely the Jews; having any special place with God, is wrong and contradicts the Bible.

Well, in one post you managed to distort the reality of every human face of the earth God teaches.

Quite the Gordian Knot.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Yes, Paul does distinguish them, so that we may tell the difference between those saved, those unsaved gentiles and those unsaved Jews...
However, when it then comes to salvation, these distinctions break down completely according to the NT. To be saved, all must come to Christ, no exceptions. And once in Christ, we are all the same, all part of the body under his head, all sharing in the inheritance promised to Christ through Abraham. Paul is quite clear about these specifics. That means that once a Christian, there is no “Christian gentile” and “Christian Jew”, with the Christian Jew having different promises and inheritances than the Christian Gentiles. The bible says no such thing. In christ, we are one. To Christ come to promises and the inheritance. Through Christ we share in them.
So, distinctions might exist outside of Christ, but once in him, they disappear.

Reactions: Keraz

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is false. Cut revelation as for all but Christians will not be in the tribulation.

Say what? Now you’re not even making sense within your own end times system. Don’t Dispensationalists say that the “Saints” we see all throughout Revelation are Christians? Just not “Church” Christians. Which, of course, makes zero sense. A person saved by the blood of Christ is a Christian. A Christian, by definition, is someone who belongs to Jesus, and is therefore a member of his body, the Church. So, I just can’t quite nut your logic out there.

The MK is both literal and future.

So you say. But that’s an assumption taking from a small chapter out of a book that’s highly symbolic and used numbers in the same way too.
For example, in Chapter 17:12, we see the beast give power to the 10 Kings, and they rule...for an hour.
Is that it? We cannot possibly be expected to take that literally. There is something more to the timeframe than just 60 minutes of fleeting glory for those kings.
Again and again we see numbers being used in the same way in Revelation, and even Dispensational scholars recognise the fact.
So why, except for a need to keep a doctrine as it is and nothing more, would they insist that the thousand years must be just that?
The symbolic use of numbers throughout the book is so overwhelming and obvious, I simply cannot understand how it can be missed. And I can’t understand how you think seeing them as symbolic takes away the biblical importance of them. Rather than just selecting 7 because he felt like it, 7, all throughout scripture has pictured God’s plan and completion or perfection. Likewise 1000 is often used to encompass the fullness of everything, absolute completeness.
So every time in Revelation that there is 7 seals or bowls or judgements...are there actually 7? Perhaps, but what the book itself is telling us is that once the judgements are finished, God’s will and punishments on the wicked will be completed utterly.
Likewise with the 1000 years. Could it be a literal 1000 years? Sure. But it’s more probable that it’s an idea being conveyed here. That Christ will reign for a complete amount of time...a perfect amount of time. And in that way we can know, fully and with assurance, that when that time is up, all things will be completed; it will be done and there will be no more waiting until we move on into eternity.
I imagine for an audience who is suffering under tremendous persecution, that information would be welcomed. Especially in light of the rather draw out and unexpected revelation of Christ’s first coming. How much more delay? They would have wondered? Would there be many more interludes that we didn’t expect?
This is why numbers are used as they are in Revelation. Not necessarily as time frame markers, because we know that we cannot know times and seasons. But they can give us glorious, big picture ideas. God is reassuring his people by using these images and numbers that means so much. And most of them would have been well aware of the symbolism from the OT, where Revelation draws the majority of its images from.

The OT gives a lot more information on the MK. The nations that attacked Israel will be required to do annual pilgrimages to Jerusalem. Life Spans will go back to what they were before the flood. Christ will rule the world from Jerusalem.

I disagree here. A lot of the passages that Dispensationalists claim talk about the MK, actually begin by telling you it’s talking about the new heavens and new earth! (Is 65:17) But they go on in insisting it’s about the MK anyway! I ask you, is it more likely that the author is using prophetic idiom to describe things beyond wondrous (never-ending life, which, in a day without modern medicine would have seen death fife) after outright stating what time period he is talking about, or lying about the time period and then going on to speak about what will happen in the MK?

In Zechariah 14 it’s a little more complicated, but no less clear. Zechariah 14, specifically is written in the prophetic and apocalyptic genre. And as such, requires the reader to apply appropriate interpretative guidelines.
Zechariah also uses prophetic idiom when describing the Eternal kingdom. He uses phrases, language and a limited frame of reference of the audiences own context...in this case, an Israelite one.

For example, when it talks of the feasts of booths, which was a feast about the harvest and gathering it in, its spiritually and eschatologically looking forward to the final joyful harvest when Israel’s mission on earth should be completed by gathering all the nations of the earth to the Lord.
However, in the light of the NT, we see that this feast is actually fulfilled in Christ. Jesus is the true Israel and John 11:52 makes clear to us that Christ is gathering his people (as does John 4:36, 10:16, Rev 5:9, 7:9). However, Christ’s gathering of his people does not involve a geographical location of Jerusalem, it involves people coming to Him. He said that his being ‘lifted up by his death’ is what would ‘draw all men to Myself’ (John 12:32).
It’s Jesus, not the “promised land” that is the focus of the gathering in Zechariah’s prophecy. As the NT tells us, ALL promises find their yes and amen in him. ALL the prophecies point to him and are about him. Start pointing elsewhere and our doctrines wobble off course.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Say what? Now you’re not even making sense within your own end times system. Don’t Dispensationalists say that the “Saints” we see all throughout Revelation are Christians? Just not “Church” Christians. Which, of course, makes zero sense. A person saved by the blood of Christ is a Christian. A Christian, by definition, is someone who belongs to Jesus, and is therefore a member of his body, the Church. So, I just can’t quite nut your logic out there.

So you say. But that’s an assumption taking from a small chapter out of a book that’s highly symbolic and used numbers in the same way too.
For example, in Chapter 17:12, we see the beast give power to the 10 Kings, and they rule...for an hour.
Is that it? We cannot possibly be expected to take that literally. There is something more to the timeframe than just 60 minutes of fleeting glory for those kings.
Again and again we see numbers being used in the same way in Revelation, and even Dispensational scholars recognise the fact.
So why, except for a need to keep a doctrine as it is and nothing more, would they insist that the thousand years must be just that?
The symbolic use of numbers throughout the book is so overwhelming and obvious, I simply cannot understand how it can be missed. And I can’t understand how you think seeing them as symbolic takes away the biblical importance of them. Rather than just selecting 7 because he felt like it, 7, all throughout scripture has pictured God’s plan and completion or perfection. Likewise 1000 is often used to encompass the fullness of everything, absolute completeness.
So every time in Revelation that there is 7 seals or bowls or judgements...are there actually 7? Perhaps, but what the book itself is telling us is that once the judgements are finished, God’s will and punishments on the wicked will be completed utterly.
Likewise with the 1000 years. Could it be a literal 1000 years? Sure. But it’s more probable that it’s an idea being conveyed here. That Christ will reign for a complete amount of time...a perfect amount of time. And in that way we can know, fully and with assurance, that when that time is up, all things will be completed; it will be done and there will be no more waiting until we move on into eternity.
I imagine for an audience who is suffering under tremendous persecution, that information would be welcomed. Especially in light of the rather draw out and unexpected revelation of Christ’s first coming. How much more delay? They would have wondered? Would there be many more interludes that we didn’t expect?
This is why numbers are used as they are in Revelation. Not necessarily as time frame markers, because we know that we cannot know times and seasons. But they can give us glorious, big picture ideas. God is reassuring his people by using these images and numbers that means so much. And most of them would have been well aware of the symbolism from the OT, where Revelation draws the majority of its images from.

I disagree here. A lot of the passages that Dispensationalists claim talk about the MK, actually begin by telling you it’s talking about the new heavens and new earth! (Is 65:17) But they go on in insisting it’s about the MK anyway! I ask you, is it more likely that the author is using prophetic idiom to describe things beyond wondrous (never-ending life, which, in a day without modern medicine would have seen death fife) after outright stating what time period he is talking about, or lying about the time period and then going on to speak about what will happen in the MK?

In Zechariah 14 it’s a little more complicated, but no less clear. Zechariah 14, specifically is written in the prophetic and apocalyptic genre. And as such, requires the reader to apply appropriate interpretative guidelines.
Zechariah also uses prophetic idiom when describing the Eternal kingdom. He uses phrases, language and a limited frame of reference of the audiences own context...in this case, an Israelite one.

For example, when it talks of the feasts of booths, which was a feast about the harvest and gathering it in, its spiritually and eschatologically looking forward to the final joyful harvest when Israel’s mission on earth should be completed by gathering all the nations of the earth to the Lord.
However, in the light of the NT, we see that this feast is actually fulfilled in Christ. Jesus is the true Israel and John 11:52 makes clear to us that Christ is gathering his people (as does John 4:36, 10:16, Rev 5:9, 7:9). However, Christ’s gathering of his people does not involve a geographical location of Jerusalem, it involves people coming to Him. He said that his being ‘lifted up by his death’ is what would ‘draw all men to Myself’ (John 12:32).
It’s Jesus, not the “promised land” that is the focus of the gathering in Zechariah’s prophecy. As the NT tells us, ALL promises find their yes and amen in him. ALL the prophecies point to him and are about him. Start pointing elsewhere and our doctrines wobble off course.

I do literal and you do figurative.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@CoreIssue ...continued

Matthew 25:27 New International Version (NIV)
27 Well then, you should have put my money on deposit with the bankers, so that when I returned I would have received it back with interest.

I don't see any where the church will rule in in eternity. Rule whom?

His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.' - Matthew 25:21

Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life! - 1 Corinthians 6:3

and if children, then heirs-heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him. - Romans 8:17

Jesus lets us know we will be busy in the New creation. The “rewards” that we are to receive are, in fact, going to be more responsibilities. But, of course, in a world where sin is no more, working for the glory of God will be a joy.

Paul gives us more teases. He tells us we will judge angels. That boggles the mind and I freely confess I don’t truly know what that means. But, as image bearers of God, as randsomed children, we will have a place of authority.
Again, Paul reminds us of this...we are fellow heirs with Christ! Heirs to what? Sitting around strumming a harp? No, what we were tasked with in the garden...ruling over creation, the new Kingdom. Always under God, of course.

The MK has always been part of the Mix.

I repeat. Nothing in revelation after the seventh church verses happened in the first century. Nothing.
And I suppose then I also repeat...unless you can peek into heaven, you can’t really know that, as many of Revelations vision and declarations happen in heaven. And your understanding of the state of the world is confusing. Just what sort of shade of plague, famine, earthquake or persecution were you waiting for before you have it your “Revelation approved” tick?

Which heaven? There will be signs and wonders in the first and second heavens, the sky and outer space. Those things that happen in the third heaven are unmistakably labeled as third heaven.

The first horse is the AC. Has not happened.

But not on this scale of revelation.
I think it’s obvious which heaven I meant, and if you’ve read Revelation it also should be clear. God’s throne room? Angels about the throne singing constantly? Declarations being made?

The first horse doesn’t say who it is. Saying it’s the AC is, once again, a massive leap to assumption town. We’re told the rider is riding a white horse, has a crown and a bow and comes out to conquer. Now...correct me if I’m wrong, but there’s been a lot of people who have done that, and, I suspect, many more who will. One could just as easily say that the horseman is not and actual person, but the personification of mans need to was and conquer each other...constant unrest.
And scale? Sure, I expect it will get worse as we approach the end, but we can actually get that expectation from scripture, unlike some Dispensational notions.

You can only make that argument if you dismiss that it is literal.

It in his literal. Otherwise it completely loses any kind of understandable meaning.

You're doing this a phone? wow!

I've already answered that twice.
“I can only make that argument if I dismiss that it’s literal”.
That’s very astute. Here’s the thing. Revelation IS a symbolic book. You can shake your head at me all you like, but that can’t change the genre of how it was written. I imagine anyone in school demanding a newspaper article was a love poem might have had the same luck.
The first word in Revelation is “apokalupsis” and that indicates, clearly, the apocalyptic nature of the book, as this word (apocalypse, revelation) means “reveal, disclose, bring to light, make fully known). But it then goes further in verse one, by using the word “semaino” (communicate by symbols) and “deichnumi” (show). Put these things together with repeated use of the phrase “I saw” and similar expressions; then to arrive at the conclusion that one must interpret the book “literally” is expressly going against what John and Christ have just told you!

And I’m sorry if you feel that makes it lose all understandable meaning, but you are quite incorrect. It is a glorious book, which makes much sense. In fact, it is soooo much simpler read this way than the Dispensational way.

Those seven churches then we’re not going through Severe persecution.

Ah...excuse me?
Maybe this is one of the reasons you totally don’t get Revelation...your history is dodgy. It can really help to understand what the audience was like, what they were going through, etc.
The Churches in Johns day we’re struggling through intense persecution. They had just endured Nero, and now they were living through Domitian, who continued to persecute Christians terribly. I could write heaps on this, but haven’t the time or space. But sufficient to say...you are most wrong.

I disagree

It is not the last generation. The earth will continue at least another 1000 years.

1000 years after the second coming at the end of the MK.

The only problem is you cannot read literally, but figuratively to find what you want to find.

What possible point could Revelation have for the MK and the people going into it? It’s going to be a time beyond pretty much everything that is described in the book. It’s going to be, according to you, a time with pretty much no sin, very little death with people of God working happily in the presence of Christ. I see little, if any, relevant purpose in Revelation for that time period, apart from the mention that for a time Satan’s influence will be limited.
So, I’m not sure why you keep bringing that up. It’s a small chapter lodged at the back of a large book, full of amazing things. Things you’d like to claim for 1007 years, but in reality, only 7. 7, and then it’s really a “then we’ll see, because we only have vague ideas what this might me like”.

There is a big difference between reading “literally” and “literalistically”.
Ready literally means reading the book as it Was meant to be read. As the author wrote it. In Revelations case, in apocalyptic style. When people read things “literalistically” they discard the original intent of how it was written and bend it to a strict, wooden, ‘real’ interpretation. And, while it may sound super great to say “we read the bible literally”, in actual fact your miles away from where God wanted you. Instead of seeing amazing spiritual truths he’s pointed out to you, you’re holding tight to all these factual things that “have to” happen, missing what’s right in front of your face.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CoreIssue ...continued

There is a big difference between reading “literally” and “literalistically”.
Ready literally means reading the book as it Was meant to be read. As the author wrote it. In Revelations case, in apocalyptic style. When people read things “literalistically” they discard the original intent of how it was written and bend it to a strict, wooden, ‘real’ interpretation. And, while it may sound super great to say “we read the bible literally”, in actual fact your miles away from where God wanted you. Instead of seeing amazing spiritual truths he’s pointed out to you, you’re holding tight to all these factual things that “have to” happen, missing what’s right in front of your face.

Nice invention.

the definition of literalistically

Don't forget to read related forms

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well, in one post you managed to distort the reality of every human face of the earth God teaches.
You like literal? Try posting so we who look at your failed attempts to prove your beliefs, can comprehend what you say.

You have consistently failed to post any scripture proving a 'rapture to heaven' of the Church.
Now, I challenge you to prove with scripture; a complete Jewish redemption in the last days.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do literal and you do figurative.
I do figurative when the bible calls me to do figurative. Other than that I take it all very literally. And even the text I take figuratively, I still hold to be teaching a very important spiritual truth that is pointing to something essential, not just pie in the sky that sounds nice and woo, woo...some lovely story that you can take or leave as it suits your 'inner truth' rubbish.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do figurative when the bible calls me to do figurative. Other than that I take it all very literally. And even the text I take figuratively, I still hold to be teaching a very important spiritual truth that is pointing to something essential, not just pie in the sky that sounds nice and woo, woo...some lovely story that you can take or leave as it suits your 'inner truth' rubbish.

billcat.gif

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Nice invention.

the definition of literalistically

Don't forget to read related forms

Ok, first, I am hardly some little duckling making up phrases to toss at you. That phrase has been used by many theologians who have probably spent more years reading and studying than I've been alive. Just because you've never heard it used, or don't like how it's being used, doesn't change that, sorry. If you'd like, I can provide names.
Secondly, you'll notice the adjective and adverb usages to the "related forms" that change how we understand the usages of those forms, right? If you're a literalist, you take things literally. And if I say you are interpretting something "literalistically" it means, per adverb, that you are taking everything in a literal manner. But here's the thing. As someone who's intimate with autism in various forms, I know that it's not always the correct thing to do to take everything in a strictly literal form. A lot of times people are using idiom, sarcasm, metaphor...what have you. Language is like that. And pretty much everyone agrees on that. Even Dispensationalists will agree there is Jewish idiom happening in the OT, Jewish type and metaphor. So why, all of a sudden, when we get to the NT, does it stop?
William Everett Bell said something that I think fits the context:

"The final test for the meaning of an OT passage is not necessarily its literal meaning, but the meaning given to it by hte NT writers, whether meaning be literal or typical...The dispensationalist practice of deciding the meaning of a concept at its first embryonic appearance in the OT, together with the refusal to expand, restrict or otherwise modify the concept in light of additional and fuller subsequent revelation, must be rejected as an unacceptable hermeneutical method, because it must frequently distort NT revelation in order not to disturb a premature "literal" OT interpretation, and thus it simply does not account satisfactorily for the totality of biblical data."

In fact, there are several instances where Dispensationalists dismiss their own hermeneutic of "literalism" in order to make their system work, leading to inconsistency. Consider these OT promises made to Abraham and his decendants in OT Israel which were to last "forever":
* possession of the land of Canaan (Gen 13:15)
* circumsicion (Gen 17:13)
* the feast of Passover (Exod 12:14)
* the feast of Unleavened Bread (Exod 12:17)
* the lampstand in the tabernacle (Exod 27:12)
* the Sabbath day (Exod 31:16-17)
* the Day of Atonement (Lev 16:29-30)
* the throne of David (2 Sam 7:13)
* the city of Jerusalem (1 Chron 23:25)
* Christ's personal rule in Jerusalem (Mic 4:7)
If dispensationalists were being consistent with their strict "literal" interpretation, these passages would require an unending Jewish national existence in the literal land of Canaan.

But, that's not the case, or so they say, pushing these promises off into the "millennial reign". William Bell also comments on this:
"Whatever else may be said of this interpretation, which seems to be that of the leading contemporary dispensationalists, it is not literal. One thousand years is not forever and the New Jerusalem is not literal Canaan. Once again, it is seen that dispensationalists...modify their literalism in interpreting OT prophecies in order not to contradict openly the plain teaching of the NT...By such an admission, however, it would seem that dispensationalists have actually surrendered their case."

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, first, I am hardly some little duckling making up phrases to toss at you. That phrase has been used by many theologians who have probably spent more years reading and studying than I've been alive. Just because you've never heard it used, or don't like how it's being used, doesn't change that, sorry. If you'd like, I can provide names.
Secondly, you'll notice the adjective and adverb usages to the "related forms" that change how we understand the usages of those forms, right? If you're a literalist, you take things literally. And if I say you are interpretting something "literalistically" it means, per adverb, that you are taking everything in a literal manner. But here's the thing. As someone who's intimate with autism in various forms, I know that it's not always the correct thing to do to take everything in a strictly literal form. A lot of times people are using idiom, sarcasm, metaphor...what have you. Language is like that. And pretty much everyone agrees on that. Even Dispensationalists will agree there is Jewish idiom happening in the OT, Jewish type and metaphor. So why, all of a sudden, when we get to the NT, does it stop?
William Everett Bell said something that I think fits the context:

"The final test for the meaning of an OT passage is not necessarily its literal meaning, but the meaning given to it by hte NT writers, whether meaning be literal or typical...The dispensationalist practice of deciding the meaning of a concept at its first embryonic appearance in the OT, together with the refusal to expand, restrict or otherwise modify the concept in light of additional and fuller subsequent revelation, must be rejected as an unacceptable hermeneutical method, because it must frequently distort NT revelation in order not to disturb a premature "literal" OT interpretation, and thus it simply does not account satisfactorily for the totality of biblical data."

In fact, there are several instances where Dispensationalists dismiss their own hermeneutic of "literalism" in order to make their system work, leading to inconsistency. Consider these OT promises made to Abraham and his decendants in OT Israel which were to last "forever":
* possession of the land of Canaan (Gen 13:15)
* circumsicion (Gen 17:13)
* the feast of Passover (Exod 12:14)
* the feast of Unleavened Bread (Exod 12:17)
* the lampstand in the tabernacle (Exod 27:12)
* the Sabbath day (Exod 31:16-17)
* the Day of Atonement (Lev 16:29-30)
* the throne of David (2 Sam 7:13)
* the city of Jerusalem (1 Chron 23:25)
* Christ's personal rule in Jerusalem (Mic 4:7)
If dispensationalists were being consistent with their strict "literal" interpretation, these passages would require an unending Jewish national existence in the literal land of Canaan.

But, that's not the case, or so they say, pushing these promises off into the "millennial reign". William Bell also comments on this:
"Whatever else may be said of this interpretation, which seems to be that of the leading contemporary dispensationalists, it is not literal. One thousand years is not forever and the New Jerusalem is not literal Canaan. Once again, it is seen that dispensationalists...modify their literalism in interpreting OT prophecies in order not to contradict openly the plain teaching of the NT...By such an admission, however, it would seem that dispensationalists have actually surrendered their case."

Obviously you do not understand all the rules of grammar and semantics concerning literalism figurative.

A figurative phrase with a known literal meaning is literal.

And no, what you cited does not require your claims.

Anymore than the 70 weeks of Daniel require the next week began precisely at the end of the prior.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Obviously you do not understand all the rules of grammar and semantics concerning literalism figurative.
Wait...did you mean to say "literalism AND figurative"? "Literalism vs figurative?"
Or did you say what you mean? Because if that is not a typo, then colour me boggled...and a little giggly, you know...with the irony. Of the grammer...in that sentence. Or lack of it.

A figurative phrase with a known literal meaning is literal.
No one is trying to refute that. When Jesus told his disciples that Lazurus had "fallen asleep" he was clearly using that phrase figuratively to say his friend had died. Paul also uses that phrase to describe literal death. In fact, there are multiple occasions where metaphorical descriptions are outright described for us. And in majority of other occasions with a bit of work from previous OT usages and NT interpretation, we can often find how John has used his images, and yes, they often describe very real things. I have never, ever, said they do not.

I think, perhaps, you are failing to grasp the whole point behind writing something figuratively.
As Jonathan Mann points out, quite excellently, "the problem for such interpreters is that they wrongly think that 'literal' means the same as 'physical' and that the opposite of 'literal' is 'spiritual'. Although many think that what is 'literal' can only be physical, and what is non-literal must be non-physical, the author of Heb 8:1-10:1 gives precisely the opposite definition; the literal sanctuary is the heavenly one and the figurative sanctuary is the earthly. In fact, the opposite of 'literal' is 'metaphorical', not 'spiritual'; 'spiritual' is the opposite of 'physical'."

This is something the Dispensationalists grasp automatically, like we all do, and apply it to the most obvious, but then dismiss it elsewhere without recognizing the call for continuity throughout the text. For example: in Revelation, Dispensationalists, like everyone else, automatically recognise that the Lion and the Lamb are both metaphors for Jesus Christ, and the the Dragon is a metaphor for Satan.
And yes, I am aware that the text tells us who the 'dragon is'. This does not, in any shape or form, change the nature of the genre or how the text is to be read. Let me give an example. If, at a party, I introduced myself and my husband to a group of people, and then, throughout the night, every time I mentioned my husbands name in conversation, I also paused, and reminded everyone that he was also my husband. That's daft, and no one talks that way. A general statement of intent is usually given, then at times throughout the conversation you might drop reminders of 'new characters' or of things you want people to give particular attention to. John very clearly at the beginning (1:1)of Revelation tells us that it is a book that is given in signs and symbols, semaino (communicate by symbols) and deichnumi (show), along with his repeated use of "I saw". He does not need to then, every time he gives a new sign or symbol or image, remind the reader that it is a sign, symbol or image. His statement of intent and genre of the book ought to make that clear to the reader. When John announces the Lion/Lamb, we know, beyond shadow of a doubt, if we are familiar with our bibles, who he is talking about and where he has drawn these images and what these images symbolize. Because there is always a deeper meaning behind the image. Jesus doesn't just appear as a Lion/Lamb because John is on a cool vision quest. No, Jesus is the one who was slain for us, but triumphs because of it. He is might to save and comes in conquest. The wealth of meaning readers can get from one image is asounding and should not be dismissed.

And no, what you cited does not require your claims.

Anymore than the 70 weeks of Daniel require the next week began precisely at the end of the prior.
Well, naturally I agree, it does not require any of that. The point is, the Dispensationalists make a huge dance about taking scripture literally. And yet...time and time again, they don't. They dodge whenever they feel like it. Need a gap? Pop one in, even if the text doesn't have one. Need Israel to reign for a thousand years instead of forever? That's cool too. How about those "reinstated temple sacrifices?" No...don't be silly, they're just for "rememberance", not for actual sacrifices, doesn't matter what Ez 40 actually says.
Dispensantionalists cannot and do not, stand up under their own hermeneutic.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Dispensantionalists cannot and do not, stand up under their own hermeneutic.
Coming from someone who has a very elementary grasp of Dispensationalism. We've already gone through your arguments, and they do not hold any water. And it is probably high time that you started viewing Scripture as do Dispensationalists -- no allegorizing and spiritualizing and fantasizing. Just the Plain Truth, and nothing but the Truth!

Dispensationalists recognize the existence of metaphors and figures of speech in Scripture, but they don't take that to the next crazy level and call everything symbolic, or allegorical, especially when it relates to Bible prophecy.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Coming from someone who has a very elementary grasp of Dispensationalism. We've already gone through your arguments, and they do not hold any water.
Perhaps it is elementary. Perhaps that's why I'm bumping up against all these things that don't add up. But if that's the case, then isn't it your job to answer my questions, rather than dismissing them and simply saying they "don't hold water"? Because simply saying that my objections don't hold water is not a very convincing argument against anything.
Look...here's the thing...the objections I bring forth, I bring forth because I cannot see them in scripture. But if you can answer them, jolly well answer them! I'm not sure how many times i've expressed the notion that I'm full well happy to toss aside the idea of persecution and suffering for the idea of any moment being whisked away to heaven. But only if it's biblical. I will not believe in something becuase I like the sound of it.

And it is probably high time that you started viewing Scripture as do Dispensationalists -- no allegorizing and spiritualizing and fantasizing. Just the Plain Truth, and nothing but the Truth!

Oh goodness. Have you even read anything I've said? Saying that anything I've said is "fantasizing" is just plain misrepresenting me, and I don't appreciate it, as it's about as far from the truth as it can get.
When Revelation says that Jesus is a Lamb, is it saying that it's not Jesus standing there before the throne, just because John uses an image to portray Christ? No...of course not, and nobody would say so. So kindly don't say I would say so.

Dispensationalists recognize the existence of metaphors and figures of speech in Scripture, but they don't take that to the next crazy level and call everything symbolic, or allegorical, especially when it relates to Bible prophecy.
And we don't call everything symbolic either. So...perhaps we're not crazy after all?

Last edited:
Reactions: Keraz

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps it is elementary. Perhaps that's why I'm bumping up against all these things that don't add up. But if that's the case, then isn't it your job to answer my questions, rather than dismissing them and simply saying they "don't hold water"? Because simply saying that my objections don't hold water is not a very convincing argument against anything.
Look...here's the thing...the objections I bring forth, I bring forth because I cannot see them in scripture. But if you can answer them, jolly well answer them! I'm not sure how many times i've expressed the notion that I'm full well happy to toss aside the idea of persecution and suffering for the idea of any moment being whisked away to heaven. But only if it's biblical. I will not believe in something becuase I like the sound of it.

Oh goodness. Have you even read anything I've said? Saying that anything I've said is "fantasizing" is just plain misrepresenting what me, and I don't appreciate it, as it's about as far from the truth as it can get.
When Revelation says that Jesus is a Lamb, is it saying that it's not Jesus standing there before the throne, just because John uses an image to portray Christ? No...of course not, and nobody would say so. So kindly don't say I would say so.

And we don't call everything symbolic either. So...perhaps we're not crazy after all?

The math is not up to you because your lousy at math.