postmillennial?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

freetruth

Mar 31, 2012
Just curious if there are any postmillennialists/preterists on this forum. This particular eschatological view interests me greatly.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Hey freetruth...you know, I don't know if there are! There are quite a few pre-mil...both of the pre-trib and post-trib variety. One or two Amil (that's me!), but I honestly don't know about others! But I'm sure you'll find out soon...they'll pop up and let you know!
Welcome to the board...:)

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
What's a dispensational preterist? Some one who still holds to the different dispensations...but also thinks that most prophecy has already been fulfilled? Just interested! :)

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I think HRFTD meant Dispensational partial-preterist. There are very few true full preterists around.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Thanks! All the labels are a little insane, aren't they? I can't wait for Jesus to return, so we know what God actually meant when talking about those times...but then again, I suppose once he comes, we're not really going to be thinking about it!

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
What's a dispensational preterist? Some one who still holds to the different dispensations...but also thinks that most prophecy has already been fulfilled? Just interested! :)

Dispensational preterism takes truths from both dispensationalism and preterism, discards the errors of both, and avoids the weakness and non-definative quality of the term partial preterism. It maintains that the fulfillment of God's promises to Abraham are manifest in two distinct dispensations: the dispensation of the natural type containing the temporary shadows and patterns, and the dispensation of the spiritual antitype containing the eternal realities. God's adaptation to the sin and rebellion in the dispensation of the natural type that caused the children of Israel to become the natural kingdom of Israel, was a temporary parentheses until the inauguration of the time of eternal restoration at Pentecost, which continues to the end when the lord returns.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Dispensational preterism takes truths from both dispensationalism and preterism, discards the errors of both, and avoids the weakness and non-definative quality of the term partial preterism. It maintains that the fulfillment of God's promises to Abraham are manifest in two distinct dispensations: the dispensation of the natural type containing the temporary shadows and patterns, and the dispensation of the spiritual antitype containing the eternal realities. God's adaptation to the sin and rebellion in the dispensation of the natural type that caused the children of Israel to become the natural kingdom of Israel, was a temporary parentheses until the inauguration of the time of eternal restoration at Pentecost, which continues to the end when the lord returns.

Thanks for the info. "Preterism" gets a bad rap because of those who think Jesus returned in 70ad, but I do think you're right...when you look carefully at scripture, they can be no doubt that a lot of what Jesus spoke of occurred at the time the temple was destroyed. But I think it's also clear that much is still yet to occur. In fact, with the amount of foreshadowing going on throughout the whole bible, I'm a bit surprised that more people don't see how Matt 24 is speaking of both 70ad and of a future time. It's hardly beyond the realms of possibility when we see just how many times God uses one thing to illustrate a greater fulfilment.

Cooter

Jun 14, 2011
N E Ohio
Just curious if there are any postmillennialists/preterists on this forum. This particular eschatological view interests me greatly.

Not a Postmillennialist but I have always wanted to be one. It is the most positive of all the different views - but just I can't see it in scripture. It believes that over time the spreading of the Gospel would cause the world system to get better and better - culminating in the return of Jesus. I wish it were so.

This view was very popular in the late 19th century and the early 20th century. Then WWI happened and people determined that things were getting worse and worse instead of better and better. Then WWII happened and this reconfirmed their beliefs - the Postmillennial view fell completely out of vogue. It shows how people's contempary social perception influences their Eschatology. After 1948 with the founding of modern day Israel the popular view then became dispensational (Futurist) because this event was seen to be prophesy fulfilled. So the doctrines of Futurism became very popular as you can see from all of the Christian forums like this one. However the Futurists have not yet realized that not one of their speculations have come to pass since that time over 60 years ago.

Larry