Predestined to be saved or lost?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's God's desire that we turn from our sins and not perish in hell.

New Testament
2 Peter 3
[9] The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Old Testament
Ezekiel 33
[11] Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world,”

Calvin was a devout heretic who Twisted the Cross into his own heresy.

Why did he do that?

its because Calvin could not comprehend that God knowing everything before it happens...>"FOREKNOWLEDGE".... is not the same as God causing everything to Happen.

Calvin defines "God knowing what is going to occur before it happens" as "God pre-determined it to occur".

“Ephesians 1:4
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world,

The Key here is ...."chosen us IN HIM">

As that is how we are REDEEMED......so, "chosen" means. "Accepted". "Redeemed"...."justification" based on being "IN HIM">

In other words, being "In Him". 'In Christ" is how we are Chosen.

How do you do that?

You are born again. and that happens when you give God your faith in Christ and then God gives you the "new Birth" in the Spirit.
Your Faith is given to God, and God puts you "in Christ".......as Chosen.

= Your Faith elects you to be Chosen....then God saves you.

And God knew you would before you were born.= "Foreknowledge" of the "Chosen".

Calvin teaches this as "God chooses you to believe"......but the verse means that God foreknew who would be Chosen, because He knows in advance (Foreknowledge) = ALL who was going to believe and become "in Him" = 'In Christ"

So, once again, this is not God causing....>its God KNOWING in advance. = Foreknowledge. = " God'srevelation knowledge of it, BEFORE it happens".

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

Selah

May 15, 2023
heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

- 1 Peter 1:1-2 (KJV)

———
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

- Ephesians 1:3-6 (KJV)

———
In 1 Peter 1:1-2, Peter is addressing God’s Elect, His chosen. We see that some, called Elect, were chosen according to the foreknowledge of God. So then, one can deduce that Peter is saying that there was a time a long, long time ago when God chose those He knew. But what is it He knew about them? ….that they were trustworthy? ….that they were faithful? In Jeremiah 1:5, it’s certain that God knew Jeremiah and ordained him a prophet. So did Jeremiah exercise his free will then and choose to love God? IMG_3673.gif

Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child. But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.

- Jeremiah 1:5-7 (KJV)

Last edited:
Reactions: WillTell

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

- 1 Peter 1:1-2 (KJV)

———
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

- Ephesians 1:3-6 (KJV)

———
In 1 Peter 1:1-2, Peter is addressing God’s Elect, His chosen. We see that some, called Elect, were chosen according to the foreknowledge of God. So then, one can deduce that Peter is saying that there was a time a long, long time ago when God chose those He knew. But what is it He knew about them? ….that they were trustworthy? ….that they were faithful? In Jeremiah 1:5, it’s certain that God knew Jeremiah and ordained him a prophet. So did Jeremiah exercise his free will then and choose to love God? View attachment 32806

Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child. But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.

- Jeremiah 1:5-7 (KJV)
The dimension of DIVINE FOREKNOWLEDGE is featured throughout the Bible, particularly in the writings of the Prophets. Obviously the things prophesied hadn't yet happened in real time but their eventualities were known before hand, these being the result of the Will of God intersecting with the wills of His creations.

Reactions: Selah

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In full Calvinism every single thing that happens, and every single thought anyone has is decreed by God, making every sin ever committed and every evil act ever committed, caused by Gods decrees.

This makes god the author of sin, lies, and evil, and the only real sinner in the universe.

That is a vile insult of Gods very character and nature.
And calvinism teaches double predestination. Not only are the elect saved from eternity past but the non elect condemned from eternity past without ever having a chance or a choice to believe the gospel. So in calvinism the reality is the gospel is only for the elect whom God regenerates first so they can believe and respond to the gospel. The non elect God does not regenerate so they can believe the gospel.

Its really a very unloving god who could of saved all sinners but chose to only save some by predestination.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've noticed in debate that if I bring up how it implies that God predestined for Satanists to rape and murder little children on their altars, this never gets a response.
Interesting view, actually.
It implies that the very acts that lead up to the end, and not just the end is predestined.
How did you arrive at that conclusion?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before the foundation of the world, the laws of physics (chronological time) did not exist. All knowing God knew the future before the foundation of the world, so he already knew everyone who was yet to exist and the decisions they made via their free will. Hence, everyone lived their lives making decisions according to their free will, and those that chose wisely were entered into the Lamb's book of life before the foundation of the world.
There's no point in predestination then.
Foreknowledge makes it a moot point.

So, according to you ONLY those who "choose wisely" will be saved?
Did everyone have a choice?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The plan and it’s outcome is what is purposely predetermined. Not who will participate in that plan. But God knows ahead of time who will choose to participate in the plan.
Does the idea of foreknowledge negate predestination?
What's the point?

Why say we were predestined, if it ONLY means God foreknew?

And what about the term "the Elect"?
An even stronger word than predestination, I think.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems to make more sense of Hell - that people who do evil end up having evil things done to them - then that God designed it so that torturous evil is done to others in this life, and then torturous evil is done to them in the next. Not a theology I could ever embrace. Nor does the concept that "we can't understand God" ever float with me. If we can't understand Him, why did He give us a Bible? :confused:
Here's a thought.
Jesus taught us to LOVE our enemies.
That this is godly behavior. Scripture below.

If Jesus expects this of us, what should we expect of God?
Does he operate at a lower standard than we are expected to?

Some make God out to be worse than a pagan, or tax collector. (traitor) - LOL

Matthew 5:43-48 NIV
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My position on this topic, is that there is good and bad in all of us: the good is predestined for Heaven, the bad will eventually be lost in Hell.

The point is, that we each have to choose - not the moment we die, but with time for the belief we form (about Heaven or Hell) to take effect.

If we are holding on to Hell, when we go to Heaven, we will be cast out; if we are in Hell and defame Heaven, then our guilt will hold us back from Heaven - this is just a matter of consequence.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Does the idea of foreknowledge negate predestination?
What's the point?

Why say we were predestined, if it ONLY means God foreknew?

And what about the term "the Elect"?
An even stronger word than predestination, I think.

In the "time of the Gentiles'

= Faith Elects.
God then Saves.

"faith is counted"

"Justification BY faith"

"Grace through faith"

Tomorrow

Aug 14, 2023
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think if God determined all are born condemned as sinners and later sent his son to redeem people of that condition that it was all God's doing.

In the first testament people made blood sacrifices for their sins. But God was the ultimate judge over their redemption. I don't think that changed even in the 2nd new testament. We all stand before judgement according to Revelation. Sinner and saved alike.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think if God determined all are born condemned as sinners and later sent his son to redeem people of that condition that it was all God's doing.

In the first testament people made blood sacrifices for their sins. But God was the ultimate judge over their redemption. I don't think that changed even in the 2nd new testament. We all stand before judgement according to Revelation. Sinner and saved alike.
Welcome to the forum.
A dozen posts already for your first day? Pretty impressive.

Do you believe that the Elect are predestined?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the title or designation, Elect, implies that. Do you?
Yes, it certainly does.
Here's the problem with predestination...
If God only predestined SOME to be saved, then he also predestined everyone else to "destruction".
Or at least that is the obvious conclusion. Unless God intends to save everyone, which is his will.
Yes, a few posts already. I'm between jobs and have time on my hands.:)
Careful!
You know what they say...
Idle hands are the Devils' workshop. - LOL

@Patrick1966

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the title or designation, Elect, implies that. Do you?

Yes, a few posts already. I'm between jobs and have time on my hands.:)
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Please Be Very Richly Encouraged And Edified In The
Lord Jesus Christ And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided ( I and II ). PG rated "Approved" *

Grace, Peace, Mercy And Love

Study to Be APPROVED Open Bible.png