Proof that Jesus is God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly, I do not know why you are allowed to post Anti-Christ material.
This is a Bible study forum where people can discuss the Bible, with the aim of sharing their understanding of the Bible and of learning new things from the Bible, so that we may all grow in our knowledge and understanding of God's word to us. If you start dsallowing people to share their understanding of the Bible then you are defeating the object of the forum and are censoring free speech - neither of which are good things.

Reactions: Wrangler

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Of course Isaiah isn't God. He said Jesus is "Mighty God".
Similar logic - of course Jesus isn't God because he said "my Father" and "my God", and "my Father is greater than I", and "the Father hath sent me", etc..

Sure I do. I read the Bible. Only God is "equal with God". Unless you think Jesus was nuts. Or maybe you think Paul was nuts?

Philippians 2:5-6 (NKJV)
5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
This has been covered before (e.g. four replies ago - #757). That is a badly translated verse which gives the opposite meaning to what it should. Try another translation, e.g.:

(ESV) who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,

If Jesus was God, then why was he even thinking about being equal with God?

Last edited:

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Similar logic - of course Jesus isn't God because he said "my Father" and "my God", and "my Father is greater than I", and "the Father hath sent me", etc..
John 1 The Word was God and became flesh.

Yep, still there!
This has been covered before (e.g. four replies ago - #757). That is a badly translated vers which gives the opposite meaning to what it should. Try another translation, e.g.:

(ESV) who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
Same thing!

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Yep, still there!
John 20:17 - Jesus said to her, “Don’t hold me, for I haven’t yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brothers, and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

Yep, still there! And here's me thinking that "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16), and therefore should all be in harmony with itself. I wonder if this means that we've misinterpreted some verses? :confused:;)

Same thing!
Actually it's the opposite meaning - you obviously didn't read it carefully enough.

Reactions: Wrangler

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 20:17 - Jesus said to her, “Don’t hold me, for I haven’t yet ascended to my Father; but go to my brothers, and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

Yep, still there! And here's me thinking that "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16), and therefore should all be in harmony with itself. I wonder if this means that we've misinterpreted some verses? :confused:;)

Actually it's the opposite meaning - you obviously didn't read it carefully enough.
Still doesn't say Jesus isn't God.

John 5:21 (NKJV)
21 For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.

Jesus is God!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly, I do not know why you are allowed to post Anti-Christ material.

Christ will return as the ultimate warrior. Deception is a tool of war and make no mistake, we are engaged in Spiritual warfare. So, stop pretending he is something he’s not. Good titles are Son of God, the Liberating King, Savior of the World.

He’s just not other things, like the eternally unchanging God almighty. You should be sophisticated enough to know his parables were intended to deceive unbelievers.

There is nothing anti-Christ about identifying properly the nature of my beloved Lord and Savior.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still doesn't say Jesus isn't God.

John 5:21 (NKJV)
21 For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.

Jesus is God!

You are attempting to shift the burden of proof. If you claim Jesus is God you have not proved it.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If Jesus was God, then why was he even thinking about being equal with God?

Great question! I look forward to an intelligent response from our trinitarian friends. But I won’t hold my breath.

Reactions: NayborBear

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great question! I look forward to an intelligent response from our trinitarian friends. But I won’t hold my breath.
John 5:18 (NKJV)
18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Still there!

Right, still not even referring to or mentioning Jesus.

And I noticed you just continue to ignore John 20:17 where Jesus talked about going to his God. For any objective person, this is proof Jesus is not God.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No response to the verse in question. Gotcha!

Just sweep verses aside that don’t align with your doctrine, pretending only the other side as to defend its doctrine. Your doctrine cannot be scrutinized because it cannot hold up to scrutiny as posts like this show.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, still not even referring to or mentioning Jesus.
Then who? You don't have a clue.
And I noticed you just continue to ignore John 20:17 where Jesus talked about going to his God. For any objective person, this is proof Jesus is not God.
DOES NOT PROVE THAT JESUS IS NOT GOD!

John 3:13 (NKJV)
13 No one has ascended to heaven but He who came down from heaven, that is, the Son of Man who is in heaven.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No response to the verse in question. Gotcha!

Just sweep verses aside that don’t align with your doctrine, pretending only the other side as to defend its doctrine. Your doctrine cannot be scrutinized because it cannot hold up to scrutiny as posts like this show.
Isaiah 40:3 (NKJV)
3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness: "Prepare the way of the LORD; Make straight in the desert A highway for our God.
Matthew 3:3 (NKJV)
3 For this is he who was spoken of by the prophet Isaiah, saying: "The voice of one crying in the wilderness: 'Prepare the way of the LORD; Make His paths straight.' "

Jesus is the Lord!

theQuestioneer

May 16, 2021
Seattle, WA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"robert derrick:

Lets question these by reading the context, shall we?

1. Jesus is the true God (I John 5:20) - To believe otherwise is idolatry

1 John 5:20- And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, to know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.

5- Who is it that overcomes the world but he who believes that Jesus is the son of God? Do you see "Jesus is God", or "1/3 God", or "God-the-Son"?

9- If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater; for this is the testimony of God that he has borne witness to his son. Do you see "God has born witness to Himself? Themselves?

11- And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 - He who has the son has life; he who has not the son of God has not life. This explains the reference to "eternal life", in the scripture in question.

13- I write this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. Ditto

20- And we know that the son of God has come and has given us understanding, to know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and Eternal Life. All Christians are "in" Him who is true, as well as his son Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Brakelite

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No. The true God is the Father in 1 John 5:20. Compare to John John 17:3.

The idolatry is what you are advancing; that there is any God besides Jesus’ God. See Ephesians 1:2

Reactions: theQuestioneer

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, John 20:17 proves Jesus is not God. That is the only explanation for him saying he is going to his God.

People do not use language to say they are going to themselves.
Then Who did God become in the flesh? Answer: Jesus! Jesus is God.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"robert derrick:

1 John 5:20- And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, to know him who is true; and we are in him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life.

5- Who is it that overcomes the world but he who believes that Jesus is the son of God? Do you see "Jesus is God", or "1/3 God", or "God-the-Son"?

9- If we receive the testimony of men, the testimony of God is greater; for this is the testimony of God that he has borne witness to his son. Do you see "God has born witness to Himself? Themselves?

11- And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 - He who has the son has life; he who has not the son of God has not life. This explains the reference to "eternal life", in the scripture in question.

13- I write this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. Ditto

20- And we know that the son of God has come and has given us understanding, to know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and Eternal Life. All Christians are "in" Him who is true, as well as his son Jesus Christ.
I said in an earlier post in this thread (can't be bothered to search through 700 odd posts to find it) that the greatest evidence we have in scripture that Jesus is God, is that He is the Son of His Father.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then Who did God become in the flesh? Answer: Jesus! Jesus is God.

I've answered this a dozen times. God does not change. God does not 'become' anything. He already is existing, the great I AM. His word became flesh just as my word now becomes written. It is not I who is written. Words are not beings.

So, you know you are being deliberately obtuse with this figurative prologue, pretending it is any different than the other Gospels introducing the reader to the ministry of Jesus - starting at the beginning of his ministry. This is not unlike a Tale of Two Cities. Or if one were to talk about the beginning of Trump's Presidency, they may talk about the escalator ride. That does not make Trump an escalator.

Again, let's review yesterday's devotional reading, also from the Gospel of John. We learn explicitly that Jesus is a man who heard from God, in his unitarian nature, and that the Father is God, in his unitarian nature. Can you acknowledge this verse and its significance in destroying any claim that Jesus is God or will you just ignore such verses and pretend only verses you like exist?

40 As it is, you are out to kill me, a man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Avraham did nothing like that! 41 You are doing the things your father does.” “We’re not illegitimate children!” they said to him. “We have only one Father — God!”
John 8:40-41 (CJB)

Status
Not open for further replies.