Question about the Pope

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi...so, I'm really hoping this is not going to start a war of words. But...I came across a really interesting article today about the current Pope. And, not being a Catholic, I don't know much about him, so I thought I would see what the Catholics on this board thought.
The article discusses a book written by Ross Douthat, called "To change the Church". And it discusses the idea that Pope Francis is actually liberal and is subtly (or not so) changing the RCC from the top.
Even not being Catholic, that's pretty huge. So...Just wondering about it. I'll try posting a link to the article...

What If Pope Francis Isn’t Catholic?

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
12016589_708594692609444_1807243571_n-300x300.jpg

The article is silly, IMO. It implies the Pope is a left wing liberal that makes changes like he changes his socks. The Pope is neither left nor right. He follows Catholic social teaching as he is bound to do. That's why all these conspiracy theories about a one world religion and/or a one world government are so STUPID.

The Pope cannot change any doctrine. It's impossible. What he can change are things that are not doctrinal, like the circumstances for those receiving the sacraments. It used to be that if a person was divorced and in another marriage without an annulment, they could not receive holy communion. That's not a punishment, it's for the persons protection. see AMORIS LAETITIA, that's what the fuss is all about. It was hotly debated for months. Contrary to the opinions of psychotic anti-Catholics, the Pope is not a dominating dictator.

But the Church does not want to starve her members who need nourishment the most. Keep in mind the media is at war with the Church, stay clear of catchy misleading headlines, like What If Pope Francis Isn’t Catholic? I strongly recommend double checking "fake news" up against reputable sources. Here's 2:
ZENIT – English – The World Seen From Rome
L'Osservatore Romano

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, I'd have to agree with you about the one world religion. I'm not sure I "see" it. I can't imagine anything that would be able to bring mankind together that way, anyway...we do tend to argue.

As for the other issues...let me mull this out a little, if you will? You say the Pope is "bound to follow Catholic social teaching". And yet that link sent me to a place that says that: "No official list of documents exists" of such teachings and that "Clearly, the expression CST is elastic."
I'm not saying this to attack Catholicism, but because I struggle to see how anyone, even the Pope, can function adequately within a set of rules that are obviously broad, vague, elastic and not clearly written. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this...I'm only going off the page you linked me to.

But that does bring me to the communion issue...let's use that as our case in point that perhaps the article that kicked off this thread may not have been 'silly'.

Pope Francis, I believe, has been suggesting that allowing people who have been divorced and remarried to receive communion should be a matter of conscious. He has not made it a doctrine. He did promote Cardinal Kevin Farrell, who agrees with the Pope, and described the reception of communion by the divorced and remarried as a "process of discernment and of conscience.”

Now, being a Protestant, I agree! And I don't even suppose I'd mind a few bits of 'discernment and conscience' working their way into the Catholic Church. But the point of the thread and what I truly was wondering, is if Catholics see these things as "liberal changes" or not. I suppose, clearly you do not, while the author of the book (whom I take to be Catholic) does.

And as for "fake news". The Gospel Coalition is eminently trustworthy, just not Catholic.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, I'd have to agree with you about the one world religion. I'm not sure I "see" it. I can't imagine anything that would be able to bring mankind together that way, anyway...we do tend to argue.

As for the other issues...let me mull this out a little, if you will? You say the Pope is "bound to follow Catholic social teaching". And yet that link sent me to a place that says that: "No official list of documents exists" of such teachings and that "Clearly, the expression CST is elastic."
Sorry, I have no idea what you are referring to.[/quote]
I'm not saying this to attack Catholicism, but because I struggle to see how anyone, even the Pope, can function adequately within a set of rules that are obviously broad, vague, elastic and not clearly written. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this...I'm only going off the page you linked me to.[/quote] It must be a bad link. I regret posting it.

But that does bring me to the communion issue...let's use that as our case in point that perhaps the article that kicked off this thread may not have been 'silly'.
Catchy tabloid type headlines are always silly, and rarely does it reflect the content of the article.

[/quote]Pope Francis, I believe, has been suggesting that allowing people who have been divorced and remarried to receive communion should be a matter of conscious. He has not made it a doctrine. He did promote Cardinal Kevin Farrell, who agrees with the Pope, and described the reception of communion by the divorced and remarried as a "process of discernment and of conscience.”

Now, being a Protestant, I agree! And I don't even suppose I'd mind a few bits of 'discernment and conscience' working their way into the Catholic Church. But the point of the thread and what I truly was wondering, is if Catholics see these things as "liberal changes" or not. I suppose, clearly you do not, while the author of the book (whom I take to be Catholic) does.
[/quote]
And as for "fake news". The Gospel Coalition is eminently trustworthy, just not Catholic.[/QUOTE]
'discernment and conscience' have been in the Church for a long time., depending on the circumstances. Some books belong on the bottom of a bird cage. Douthat is a sensationalist column writer, and not a papal expert.
And there is no reason a liberalized Catholic Church would be any different from the Episcopal, Presbyterian, and Lutheran churches in demographic freefall.
Yes, we know. That's partly why contraception is so dangerous.

Little girls do not grow up dreaming of hopping from bed to bed and contraception. They dream of a man who will sweep them off their feet and love them forever, and of having his many children. A cynicism born of the sexual revolution has brought emptiness to the hearts, wombs and lives of far too many modern women. This emptiness and pain can be avoided or redeemed and healed by the love of Christ and adherence to His teachings. The Catholic Church believes in such dreams because God wrote them on the human heart. And there are men who long for such a woman to love and cherish.

Real lovers want to give without reserve in God's own superabundance creating more hearts and lives to love. Contraception is like kissing through a screen door and real love cannot tolerate obstacles. Contraception breeds selfishness and separation that drives a wedge between husband and wife that kills love. Real lovers want their love to explode into the posterity of future generations for all eternity. This is the kind of passion and fulfillment God wants for His children. Contraception limits what should be boundless. It spits in the face of this glorious passion and love's true abandon; and that is why it is a sin. It seeks to "tame" love, thus killing it. The Catholic Church is the last bastion on earth of true romance. The modern world has suffocated love and made sex a thing of deadness.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm sorry....that is the most bizarre, hard to make out post, I've ever come across. The first half I follow, even though there seems to be quotes within quotes.
But for the love of...what and where did the last half come from? Because if it came from this conversation, then clearly I am on another page entirely.

Reactions: Helen

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's jut a statement that says we stand alone.
Getting back on track, I think some Catholics will see AMORIS LAETITIA as liberal, I don't. It's part of a growth process.