Question about the whore of babylon

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
At first I thought the whore of babylon was the Roman Catholic Church but after doing lots of research I discoveredidn't alot of evidence that it's actually ancient pagan rome, the one thing that has me still questioning if the whore of babylon is the catholic church (specifically vatican) is the fact that babylon is identified as a spiritual whore, in the bible a spiritual whore is someone who was in a relationship with God but then went after other gods and ancient pagan rome never had a relationship with God, can anyone help me with this confusion
Andrew, consider that there are two woman we are given details about in Revelation. One is pure and the other corrupt.
Gods people (church) are referred to as his bride represented in simplicity and purity. From his people came the Messiah and salvation.
The whore, the corrupted woman lures the multitudes that have no real interest in righteousness although they give lip service to it with all the things their itching ears want to hear. There is a form of Godliness but its power is denied. Revelation calls her 'Babylon The Great' The corrupted church which you correctly identified as the RCC which leads the whole world astray. Its image are the Protestant churches which are presently denying their roots and apologising for their protest and going back to Rome. This is happening in our day.

Of course there is much more to say about this.

Reactions: brakelite

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At first I thought the whore of babylon was the Roman Catholic Church but after doing lots of research I discoveredidn't alot of evidence that it's actually ancient pagan rome, the one thing that has me still questioning if the whore of babylon is the catholic church (specifically vatican) is the fact that babylon is identified as a spiritual whore, in the bible a spiritual whore is someone who was in a relationship with God but then went after other gods and ancient pagan rome never had a relationship with God, can anyone help me with this confusion

The whore of Babylon is Evil World Empires.
The Last Empire and its "king/ruler" is yet to be revealed "in the flesh"... yet implied as Satan himself...with the "supposed" Spiritual advisor of sorts...ie "the false prophet"...perpetuating Spiritual Adultry...ie Against Christ...in favor of the Beast/Satan himself.

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In the old testament everyone who is called a whore was once in a spiritual relationship with god, since the whore of babylon is called a whore doesn't that mean the whore was once in a relationship with God, please help me i'm confused and terrified
The passage itself should provide the answers starting with the last verse:

THE WHORE SYMBOLIZES A CITY
And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth. (v 18)

Now we know that the Antichrist will sit in a future temple of God in Jerusalem claiming that he is God, while blaspheming God (2 Thess 2:4). And we also know that Satan and the Antichrist will have total control of the kings of the earth and the inhabitants of the earth for 3 1/2 years (42 months). So this is about the idolatrous and blasphemous ONE WORLD RELIGION which will be practiced by the whole world during that time, and will bring God's judgments upon the earth.

THE WHORE IS MYSTERY BABYLON
And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. (v 5)
Ancient Babylon under Nimrod is where idolatry first began. Idolatry is spiritual fornication. And "Mystery Babylon" signifies all the ancient pagan and idolatrous religions which have ever existed from South America to China called "the abominations of the earth". The culmination will be "the image of the Beast" which will sit in the future temple at Jerusalem, called "the Abomination of Desolation".

Last edited:
D

Dave L

Would you please make sense of what you're saying, is the whore of babylon the vatican or not?
If you are a Historicist in your views of Revelation, yes, I agree. Since I believe Revelation recapitulates (history repeats itself) I agree that it is the Vatican too. But not confined to it. We saw Antichrist in Nero, in the Papacy, and in any other totalitarian government that demanded allegiance of its sinful laws over God's laws. It is looming again in the Papacy and in Islam.

Andrew Kind

Oct 14, 2018
Allentown
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
In the old testament everyone who is called a whore was once in a spiritual relationship with god, since the whore of babylon is called a whore doesn't that mean the whore was once in a relationship with God, please help me i'm confused and terrified

Please answer my question I'm desperate

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't want to stop being catholic

Greetings, Andrew, and peace.

Listen, what you suspect is actually correct; Catholicism will eventually unite together with many of the mainline Protestant denominations to oppose the true prophets and saints of God. But completely unlike what Dave L teaches, it IS set in the future. That means Rome is not yet "the mother of the harlots," although she will become this some day. That having been said, there are some things that Catholicism teaches already which are false, so I don't know that I could be one in good conscience.

Why are you so disturbed about not being Catholic?

Andrew Kind

Oct 14, 2018
Allentown
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
All right the truth is this, i'm not a Catholic the real reason I'm obsessed with this is if the whore of babylon is the Vatican it means the bible really is the word of God which I don't want it to be

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All right the truth is this, i'm not a Catholic the real reason I'm obsessed with this is if the whore of babylon is the Vatican it means the bible really is the word of God which I don't want it to be

Ok. So then how have you come to this realization?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This my friend is foolishness. What it is, is what it is. No one's explanation, right or wrong, is going to change what the Bible is.

The Bible is NOT the Comforter so the Bible alone is no comfort to anyone. But then Jesus came and brought Comfort and when he left he sent us another Comforter. This is what we all need. This is what you need.

"So I returned, and considered all the oppressions that are done under the sun: and behold the tears of such as were oppressed, and they had no comforter; and on the side of their oppressors there was power; but they had no comforter." Ecc 4:1

David of old in this psalm speaks of his search for comforters:

"Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none." Psalm 69:20

Finally through the prophet, Isaiah, the Lord speaks as the one who comforts:

"I, even I, am he that comforteth you: who art thou, that thou shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man which shall be made as grass;" Isaiah 51:12

And then Jesus telling us to come to him to receive rest or comfort... but Jesus is to leave them but no longer forever comfortless:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matt 11:28

"And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." John 14:16-18

Those verses are the real answer to your needs if not your questions, but considering your questions:

As someone else already inferred, Babylon is a place of confusion.
A whore is a woman who sells herself for material profit.
So the whore of Babylon is a woman in a place of confusion selling herself for material gain.

A woman is one to whom we marry ourselves and become one. The woman is the Church and Jesus is the Head and the Bridegroom who marries the Bride, but if the Bride makes herself a whore moving instead being one with the Bridegroom to a place of confusion, there you have the whore of Babylon. Who fits the definition?

Are you afraid that it is the Vatican or the Catholic Church? Ask of God according to what you know and what God shows you if they are described by that definition. The only black and white answer comes from God. Lots of people will say it is the Catholic Church, but don't blindly follow. Ask of God the only one who can always be trusted to know and to tell the truth.

Andrew Kind

Oct 14, 2018
Allentown
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I have a new question,,was jezebel from revelation 2 always a false prophetess or was she once a devoted follover of god

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Whoaaaaa, one minute you're Catholic the next you're not. How can you expect people to take you seriously if from the outset you are not truthful. Lack of self honesty delivers lack of honesty with others.

If this subject interests you as much as you claim, make the effort and checkout this presentation.
973 - Conflict to Communion / Darkness Before Dawn - Walter Veith Amazing Discoveries • 37K views

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have a new question,,was jezebel from revelation 2 always a false prophetess or was she once a devoted follover of god
The context makes it crystal clear that she was always a minion of Satan, just like the original Jezebel.