Question for truther

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the commandments

not the content

but from scripture alone how do you know which is the first commandment and the second etc?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words how do you know from scripture what is contained in each command? Remember even chapters and verses were added later and are not scripture

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Answer for theefaith

Chapters and verses weren't added later. Their numbers were added.

The sequence of information, chapters and verses, has not changed.

Besides that, The First Commandment is still the first that was written by the hand of God in stone.

That order was faithfully recorded in the Bible.

The order of the Commandments has never changed, but the Catholic Church has changed the order for their teaching.

Isn't it shocking that they've changed the order of the Fourth Commandment and switched it with one of the others?

But that's a point of contention for another thread.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Answer for theefaith

Besides that, The First Commandment is still the first that was written by the hand of God in stone.

The order of the Commandments has never changed, but the Catholic Church has changed the order for their teaching.

Isn't it shocking that they've changed the order of the Fourth Commandment and switched it with one of the others?

the Bible does not say what is the first commandment
It has all the content but no specific order
Have you read dan ch 13 the faith story of Susana?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Bible does not say what is the first commandment
Attacks on the Bible are getting more and more ridiculous every day. The first of the Commandments is presented in Exodus 20:3. It doesn't have to specifically state "This is the First, This is the Second..." They are ordered just as they were presented by God.

This is just like arguing that the cross was not really a cross but more of a 'T', or just a tall 'l' stake and that the nails were not in Jesus' hands, but in His wrists.

These type arguments are the work of the devil and have his signature all over them. The way he attacks Truth is to first present some level of doubt or question, just like he did with Eve, i.e., "Did God really say...?" He then makes tiny, incremental adjustments, changes to Truth, over a period of time until those changes become commonplace - just like the changing of the Saturday Sabbath to Sunday. He only had to move it one day in succession to mis-align it with scripture and God's Holy Commands.
It has all the content but no specific order
Of course it has an order. Everything has an order, and EVERYTHING God does has an order.

The order of the Commandments matters, just like everything that God has done, and the Commandments are ordered just as they are presented in scriptrure.
Have you read dan ch 13 the faith story of Susana?
Yes, I've read all the Apocrypha and just about all the Pseudepigrapha I've been able to find and access.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Answer for theefaith

All scripture is inspired but not chapter and verse
We accept them but they are completely arbitrary
Same with the content of each commandment

Ex 20:

1 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

13 Thou shalt not kill.

14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

15 Thou shalt not steal.

16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

there is nothing saying which commandment is which or what is the content of each

any list of the Ten Commandments is only a summary

have you read dan 13?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the commandments

not the content

but from scripture alone how do you know which is the first commandment and the second etc?
Those that are concerned about the commandments are likely under the Law.

Saints are free from the Law, the unsaved are not.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we are Spirit filled and led, the OT Laws have no significance in our lives.

They cannot be used to please God, nor can they be used to obtain righteousness(or even judge us).

They are moot.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those that are concerned about the commandments are likely under the Law.

Saints are free from the Law, the unsaved are not.
The church is still subject to the moral law! The ceremonial law was nailed to the cross and the apostles received the jurisdictional law or authority from Christ

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church is still subject to the moral law! The ceremonial law was nailed to the cross and the apostles received the jurisdictional law or authority from Christ
No, there is no division in the Law. Man made that whopper up.
It is called “partial Law” teaching.
Totally unscriptural

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, there is no division in the Law. Man made that whopper up.
It is called “partial Law” teaching.
Totally unscriptural

no there where three parts to the law

Moral law still in effect
Example

Ephesians 6:2
Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise;

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The law was never divided. Law was added to.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Numbering the Ten Commandments.

The Bible does not number the Ten Commandments (or 10 Words as the Jews call them). And there are actually more than ten commands in the two places where they occur - Ex 20:1-17 and Dt. 5: 8-21).

As a result different groups of Christians and Jews number them differently.

Take Exodus first below (the numbering is mine)
1 "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
2 “You shall have no other gods before me.
3 “You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
4 you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
5 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
6 “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labour, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.
7 “Honour your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which the Lord your God gives you.
8 “You shall not kill.
9 “You shall not commit adultery.
10 “You shall not steal.
11 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
12 “You shall not covet your neighbour's house;
13 you shall not covet your neighbour's wife, or his manservant, or his maidservant, or his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbour's.”

In DT 5:21 the phrasing of 12 & 13 is different and splits into two commands
13a “‘Neither shall you covet your neighbour's wife;
14a and you shall not desire your neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbour's.’

Regarding the line "I am the Lord your God…." might seem odd but the Jews take it as the first commandment or word. Most Christians do not.

In order to reduce these to ten some have to be concatenated. Some Christians do it one was and some another.

Catholics and Lutherans treat 2,3 and 4 as one commandment. Catholics include 1 as well.

Protestants (excluding Lutherans) and Orthodox treat 3&4 as one commandment.

All Protestants and Orthodox treat 12 & 13 as one commandments. Catholics, following Augustine, and using Deuteronomy, treat 13a and 14a (instead of the Ex 12 & 13) as two commandments.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Numbering the Ten Commandments.

The Bible does not number the Ten Commandments (or 10 Words as the Jews call them). And there are actually more than ten commands in the two places where they occur - Ex 20:1-17 and Dt. 5: 8-21).

As a result different groups of Christians and Jews number them differently.

Take Exodus first below (the numbering is mine)
1 "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
2 “You shall have no other gods before me.
3 “You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
4 you shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, 6 but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
5 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
6 “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labour, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your manservant, or your maidservant, or your cattle, or the sojourner who is within your gates; for in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and hallowed it.
7 “Honour your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land which the Lord your God gives you.
8 “You shall not kill.
9 “You shall not commit adultery.
10 “You shall not steal.
11 “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.
12 “You shall not covet your neighbour's house;
13 you shall not covet your neighbour's wife, or his manservant, or his maidservant, or his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbour's.”

In DT 5:21 the phrasing of 12 & 13 is different and splits into two commands
13a “‘Neither shall you covet your neighbour's wife;
14a and you shall not desire your neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or anything that is your neighbour's.’

Regarding the line "I am the Lord your God…." might seem odd but the Jews take it as the first commandment or word. Most Christians do not.

In order to reduce these to ten some have to be concatenated. Some Christians do it one was and some another.

Catholics and Lutherans treat 2,3 and 4 as one commandment. Catholics include 1 as well.

Protestants (excluding Lutherans) and Orthodox treat 3&4 as one commandment.

All Protestants and Orthodox treat 12 & 13 as one commandments. Catholics, following Augustine, and using Deuteronomy, treat 13a and 14a (instead of the Ex 12 & 13) as two commandments.
Paul called the law, the law. Jesus called the law, the law. It is phony teachers that call the law, partial law.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Show me in Scripture where the laws divided into three parts?

I just did

and the jurisdictional law the keys of the kingdom and authority of the king are taken from Israel and given to the church

Matt 21:43
Matt 16:18

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just did

and the jurisdictional law the keys of the kingdom and authority of the king are taken from Israel and given to the church

Matt 21:43
Matt 16:18
James even taught the law is the law. None of those I describe ever said that there are certain segments to the law that are done away and certain segments of the law to keep. That is a modern theology . James said it is all or nothing.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James even taught the law is the law. None of those I describe ever said that there are certain segments to the law that are done away and certain segments of the law to keep. That is a modern theology . James said it is all or nothing.

then why are the commandments the moral law still in effect in the new covenant and New Testament
Cos there is the eternal moral law

1 Corinthians 11:2
Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

or

Colossians 2:14
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinancesthat was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

apart from the “works of the law”

the ceremonial law
Washings etc are not the same as the moral law or the jurisdictional authority

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then why are the commandments the moral law still in effect in the new covenant and New Testament
Cos there is the eternal moral law

1 Corinthians 11:2
Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

or

Colossians 2:14
Blotting out the handwriting of ordinancesthat was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

apart from the “works of the law”

the ceremonial law
Washings etc are not the same as the moral law or the jurisdictional authority
I see what you think now. You think that if the priest skipped the tabernacle part of the law that it was not morally wrong. Lol