Questions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question. What does the word Scripture refer to in the book of Galatians?

In Galatians 3 He says:
8. *And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.”*

I am sure someone can give how "scripture" is defined in Galatians. For me, this verse reveals how salvation would come by faith in the work of the Lord, and not by our own doing. Abraham saw Him; the Lamb slain.

Ephesians 1:4 KJV
[4] According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Hebrews 4:3 KJV
[3] For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Scripture meaning "the Old Testament" preached the gospel, or: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." preached the gospel to Abraham.

It is baffling how Jesus Christ is throughout the Old Testament; yet He was hidden until God opened scripture to reveal the Lamb prepared from the foundation. I have realized that just because I do not see something within His word; doesn't make it any less true. The truth of God is there. It His truth and doesn't change. His truth is not dependent on my seeing it to make it true. Like Paul said, we see things dimly. One day, I am sure, we will see clearly; even the New Testament and all the things we question "why did the LORD command it to be a certain way" and we will fully understand why.

For instance. Why A woman is to remain silent in church, and the scriptures pertaining to a woman's role. One day I will fully understand how every aspect of my life as a female demonstrated Him. It will make perfect sense. I will undoubtedly mourn that I didn't do as He commanded more often when I see how my life prophesied and proclaimed His name.

I hope this helped. Something I am unsure of: when was the Old Testament written and placed into the hands of the people? Adam didn't have a bible. Maybe that is a stupid question. Did it begin with Moses coming down with the commandments? Was that the beginning of the OT?

Isaiah 16 KJV
[16] Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord God , and his Spirit, hath sent me.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thank you. Some parts that stood out:

"...but the forms of the witnesses, though silenced, still in silence witness against evil. At no time are they hid away out of sight. Even in an age of religious and social anarchy the silent tokens of a better order remain."

"Where there is guilt, there is fear; and a persecuting spirit, though cruel, is a cowardly spirit."

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the advent of Christ overcoming the world and then sending the Holy Spirit unto all truth.

You do mean future tense(for us), right?: What about: fear not for I have overcome the world?

The seventh angel in revelation is clearly Christ? No other matches the description. And when He shall begin to sound: the mystery of God should be finished. Interesting that He sets His right foot upon the sea; and His left upon the earth. He tells John to eat the little book and that he(John) must prophesy again before many people.

In chapter eleven: again scripture tells us when the seventh angel sounded and: the kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of the Lord...and He shall reign forever.

Daniel 2:44 KJV
[44] And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sure someone can give how "scripture" is defined in Galatians. For me, this verse reveals how salvation would come by faith in the work of the Lord, and not by our own doing. Abraham saw Him; the Lamb slain.

Ephesians 1:4 KJV
[4] According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Hebrews 4:3 KJV
[3] For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Scripture meaning "the Old Testament" preached the gospel, or: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." preached the gospel to Abraham.

It is baffling how Jesus Christ is throughout the Old Testament; yet He was hidden until God opened scripture to reveal the Lamb prepared from the foundation. I have realized that just because I do not see something within His word; doesn't make it any less true. The truth of God is there. It His truth and doesn't change. His truth is not dependent on my seeing it to make it true. Like Paul said, we see things dimly. One day, I am sure, we will see clearly; even the New Testament and all the things we question "why did the LORD command it to be a certain way" and we will fully understand why.

For instance. Why A woman is to remain silent in church, and the scriptures pertaining to a woman's role. One day I will fully understand how every aspect of my life as a female demonstrated Him. It will make perfect sense. I will undoubtedly mourn that I didn't do as He commanded more often when I see how my life prophesied and proclaimed His name.

I hope this helped. Something I am unsure of: when was the Old Testament written and placed into the hands of the people? Adam didn't have a bible. Maybe that is a stupid question. Did it begin with Moses coming down with the commandments? Was that the beginning of the OT?

Isaiah 16 KJV
[16] Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord God , and his Spirit, hath sent me.

Thanks. I get an inkling, then the answer escapes me. So, maybe later I can answer my own question.

Reactions: Helen

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

GINOLJC, VJ, correct, as I have been saying before, the OT is the NT hidden, and the NT is the OT revealed. let me make it simple. the Lord Jesus is the Word, so in the OT he is the scriptures hidden, and in the NT he is the scriptures revealed. supportive scripture, 1 Peter 1:10 & 11 "Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow". Christ is the OT for he is the Spirit who created everything including us.
well VJ, who said that? not the scriptures, not the apostle Paul. so who said "A woman is to remain silent in church". I believe we need to examine this. 1 Corinthians 14:34 "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law". #1. the apostle by this scripture is not speaking to women in general at all. he is speaking to husband of wives here in the Corinthians church who spoke out of turn. how do we know that he is speaking to wives? the very next verse tells us, verse 35 "And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church". here clearly, the only woman who have a husband is a married one, a wife. listen to the definition of woman, here in the scripture.
G1135 γυνή gune (ǰ ï-nee') n.
1. a woman.
2. (specially) a wife.
KJV: wife, woman
by knowing verse 35, we know for sure that the word "women" in 1 Corinthians 14:34 mean wife. so the apostle was not speaking to women in general, but wives ONLY. now if the Holy Spirit by the apostle would have use the word, G2338 θήλυς thelus (thee'-lïs), then we could close shop and go home because that would have included every woman in the church. but he didn't used the word.
G2338 θήλυς thelus (thee'-lïs) adj.
female.
[from thele (the nipple)]
KJV: female, woman

so by not using G2338 θήλυς thelus women in general can speak in church.

#2. as said, the apostle was not speaking directly to women/wives at all. he was speaking to husbands. listen, "let YOUR, your, your, women/wives". if I said to you, "let YOUR children be quite in church". who am I speaking to? you or your children. YOU About your children. so the apostle was not speaking to women at all. he was was speaking to men who had wives. and it was their responsibility to teach their wives at home how to conduct themselves in church.

hope this helps.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Often I come upon scripture that greatly puzzles me; scripture I would like to get feedback from others on. I could post new threads every day. Instead of flooding the board with questions that may be easily resolved, I am creating one thread to discuss open questions.

If anyone else has scripture they want to present before the brethern for feedback yet they don't want to begin a new thread, this is the place. This thread is open to any topic; open to any scripture that causes questions.

I have a question that pertains to:

Revelation 11:8 KJV
[8] And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Why is: the great city referred to spiritually as Sodom and Egypt, then also referred to as the place our Lord was crucified? Does anyone have wisdom concerning this verse?

I agree that this is Jerusalem, this is after the Abomination of Desolation, after the Alter is shut down again as it was when Antiacus, the Greek General over-through Israel, read the Maccabees, this is what Jesus referred to to His Disciples when He Quoted Danial, The alter will be active again, then shut down by the Anti-Christ. In the prier verses the outer Courts are have been given to the Gentiles, and they will Tread the Holy city under foot, for 42 months. These Gentiles are not Believers, they are with the Anti-Christ, so this City becomes as Sodom and Egypt! I am sure that the two witnesses are Elijah and Moses and they will Prophecy to the world until God lets them be killed. I base what I claim about the two witnesses on the Transfiguration, It was Moses and Elijah.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do mean future tense(for us), right?: What about: fear not for I have overcome the world?
No, not at all. Hence, He said "I have" "overcome the world" (past tense).
The seventh angel in revelation is clearly Christ? No other matches the description. And when He shall begin to sound: the mystery of God should be finished. Interesting that He sets His right foot upon the sea; and His left upon the earth. He tells John to eat the little book and that he(John) must prophesy again before many people.

In chapter eleven: again scripture tells us when the seventh angel sounded and: the kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of the Lord...and He shall reign forever.

Daniel 2:44 KJV
[44] And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.
Christ is not a spirit per se, but has ascended, which says that He now is [spirit]. This is the distinction made by Jesus in claiming to be the "Son of man", when it is evident that He is also the Son of God, and God (God with us). Meaning that He is not an angel. It is this distinction that separates His ministry before the cross (that time of overcoming the world), and His ministry after the cross. If He had only done His work before the cross, He would only be the Last of those born under the old covenant. But He is also the Firstfruits or those, the Firstfruits [born again] of the spirit of God. Which makes Him the First as well as the Last. It is in that spirit (the spirit of Christ) in which the seventh angel acts in His behalf, a ministering spirit. This the reference to one foot on the sea and the other on the land, meaning: God with us.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is not a spirit per se, but has ascended, which says that He now is [spirit].
can you elaborate on "Christ is not a spirit per se", but has ascended, which says that He now is [spirit].
thanks in advance.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sure that the two witnesses are Elijah and Moses and they will Prophecy to the world until God lets them be killed.
not saying that you're right or wrong, but you base this on the Transfiguration?. please note, both Elijah and Moses died natural death. and it's appointed unto man to died once, then the Judgment, (see Hebrews 11:22). remember there are only two death. and if one made the first, and die again, that's the one of no return. so I know we're not putting Elijah nor Moses in that situation. so we can safety eliminate Moses and Elijah as the two witness.

peace in Christ Jesus.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
not saying that you're right or wrong, but you base this on the Transfiguration?. please note, both Elijah and Moses died natural death. and it's appointed unto man to died once, then the Judgment, (see Hebrews 11:22). remember there are only two death. and if one made the first, and die again, that's the one of no return. so I know we're not putting Elijah nor Moses in that situation. so we can safety eliminate Moses and Elijah as the two witness.

peace in Christ Jesus.

If you are correct: Wouldn't that also elimate John the Baptist and Jesus Christ also? The only two I can think of that didn't die a natural death was: Elijah? Enoch?

I have always heard: Moses and Elijah. Heard; as in I don't know. Why do you say, John the Baptist and Jesus?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
can you elaborate on "Christ is not a spirit per se", but has ascended, which says that He now is [spirit].
thanks in advance.
God is spirit. Thus, Christ having ascended, has reentered the spiritual realm, and like God the Father, He is now spirit also. Although, for a season, He lowered Himself to live in the flesh as a sacrifice for sin.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is spirit. Thus, Christ having ascended, has reentered the spiritual realm, and like God the Father, He is now spirit also. Although, for a season, He lowered Himself to live in the flesh as a sacrifice for sin.
Thanks for your point of view.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are correct: Wouldn't that also elimate John the Baptist and Jesus Christ also? The only two I can think of that didn't die a natural death was: Elijah? Enoch?

I have always heard: Moses and Elijah. Heard; as in I don't know. Why do you say, John the Baptist and Jesus?
No, not at all, because they gave their witness, and was killed "AFTERWARD".
error, both Elijah and Enoch died natural death. first Enoch, read Hebrews chapter 11, starting at verse 1 through 13. take note of verse 5 "By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God". that word "translate" here, means to transport,
G3346 μετατίθημι metatithemi (me-ta-tiy'-thee-miy) v.
1. to transfer.
2. (literally) to transport.
3. (by implication) to exchange.
4. (reflexively) to change sides.
5. (figuratively) to pervert.
[from G3326 and G5087]
KJV: carry over, change, remove, translate, turn

now here's the kicker, verse 13 of Hebrews 11, "These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth". see, God moved or transported Enoch to another part of the planet where he wouldn't see death. meaning, someone who might kill or take his life at the place where he was. this is nothing new in scriptures. Philip baptize the Ethiopian Eunuch and God moved Philip to another place. scripture, Acts 8:38-40 "And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea". see it now.

what about Elijah, same thing he was transported also. how do we know this, because we have a letter from him after his transport. A few years into Jehoram’s reign, which is after Elijah’s removal, Jehoram received a letter from Elijah warning the king of his sins. This letter is recorded in 2 Chronicles 21:12-15 "And there came a writing to him from Elijah the prophet, saying, Thus saith the LORD God of David thy father, Because thou hast not walked in the ways of Jehoshaphat thy father, nor in the ways of Asa king of Judah, But hast walked in the way of the kings of Israel, and hast made Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem to go a whoring, like to the whoredoms of the house of Ahab, and also hast slain thy brethren of thy father's house, which were better than thyself: Behold, with a great plague will the LORD smite thy people, and thy children, and thy wives, and all thy goods: And thou shalt have great sickness by disease of thy bowels, until thy bowels fall out by reason of the sickness day by day". this is after Elijah went into the sky/heaven. research this out, or google it.

so the two witness still stand. John the baptist, and the Lord Jesus. VJ, study and compare the two, Moses, and the Lord Jesus, Elijah and John the baptist. one will find parallel lives. understand the two witness is signified in Moses and Elijah, but NOT Moses and Elijah.

hope this helps.

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, not at all, because they gave their witness, and was killed "AFTERWARD".
error, both Elijah and Enoch died natural death. first Enoch, read Hebrews chapter 11, starting at verse 1 through 13. take note of verse 5 "By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God". that word "translate" here, means to transport,
G3346 μετατίθημι metatithemi (me-ta-tiy'-thee-miy) v.
1. to transfer.
2. (literally) to transport.
3. (by implication) to exchange.
4. (reflexively) to change sides.
5. (figuratively) to pervert.
[from G3326 and G5087]
KJV: carry over, change, remove, translate, turn

now here's the kicker, verse 13 of Hebrews 11, "These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth". see, God moved or transported Enoch to another part of the planet where he wouldn't see death. meaning, someone who might kill or take his life at the place where he was. this is nothing new in scriptures. Philip baptize the Ethiopian Eunuch and God moved Philip to another place. scripture, Acts 8:38-40 "And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing But Philip was found at Azotus: and passing through he preached in all the cities, till he came to Caesarea". see it now.

what about Elijah, same thing he was transported also. how do we know this, because we have a letter from him after his transport. A few years into Jehoram’s reign, which is after Elijah’s removal, Jehoram received a letter from Elijah warning the king of his sins. This letter is recorded in 2 Chronicles 21:12-15 "And there came a writing to him from Elijah the prophet, saying, Thus saith the LORD God of David thy father, Because thou hast not walked in the ways of Jehoshaphat thy father, nor in the ways of Asa king of Judah, But hast walked in the way of the kings of Israel, and hast made Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem to go a whoring, like to the whoredoms of the house of Ahab, and also hast slain thy brethren of thy father's house, which were better than thyself: Behold, with a great plague will the LORD smite thy people, and thy children, and thy wives, and all thy goods: And thou shalt have great sickness by disease of thy bowels, until thy bowels fall out by reason of the sickness day by day". this is after Elijah went into the sky/heaven. research this out, or google it.

so the two witness still stand. John the baptist, and the Lord Jesus. VJ, study and compare the two, Moses, and the Lord Jesus, Elijah and John the baptist. one will find parallel lives. understand the two witness is signified in Moses and Elijah, but NOT Moses and Elijah.

hope this helps.

So you believe the two witnesses in Revelation is John the Baptist and Jesus?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So Jesus Christ will in fact appear twice?
Hebrews 9:28 "So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What most Christian fail to understand is that there are two DEATH's. one natural whom our Lord rose from. and there's the second death, which is no man return from. our Lord died and rose, he lives now by the power of the Spirit with a flesh and bone body, no blood. supportive scripture, Luke 24:39 "Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have". Oh yes, he's real, and he will come back, supportive scripture, Revelation 1:7 "Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen".

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 9:28 "So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

The second time:
(Revelation 11:3-7) "And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth. {4} These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth. {5} And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed. {6} These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will. {7} And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them."

The third time????:
(Revelation 19:11-16) "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. {12} His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. {13} And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. {14} And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. {15} And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God. {16} And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS."

(Matthew 24:23-30) "Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not. {24} For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. {25} Behold, I have told you before. {26} Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not. {27} For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. {28} For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together. {29} ¶ Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: {30} And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

I'd rather believe Jesus when he stated on no uncertain terms that his return will not be a quiet one, and to dismiss anyone stating otherwise.