Racism on parade

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Well, if you are white, and it has come to your own home, that answer will not suffice. You and your family will be killed because you are white.

If you are not white, then yes it is better to keep silent. You probably will survive.

Stranger
he who seeks to save his soul will lose it

but hey at least you will prolly survive right

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Recognizing our tendency to be tribal is the first step. We need to stop feeling guilt and shame about it because it leads to hiding and ignoring the problem. Instead of being angry when it is pointed out, we can listen to feedback and change our behavior. We should be talking about our history of racism and learning different ways to interact with each other.

One thing we do know, based on research, is that the older we get, the more we want to be with our own race/culture (this applies to all people) because older people like predictability - so we need to start changing attitudes early in life. By the time we get older and seek to be around people who share our values/race/culture we will hopefully remain respectful and loving towards people of other cultures.

Racism like poverty will always be with us, which is why we need to be aware of it and actively work against it.
Hi Aspen,

You said that Trump has a dysfunctional frontal lobe. What do you mean by that?

Being "tribal" has been around since the beginning of time. So has poverty. So has racism. There is nothing we can do to get rid of racism and poverty and there is nothing wrong with tribalism; as long as we still love the other tribe.

Please don't lump Mary into your "this applies to all people". That statement is NOT factual.

Mary

tribalism defined: strong loyalty to one's own tribe or social group

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i bring that up because i was completely unaware of it until some, many Jewesses mentioned it. I guess the general belief is that it is kept out of the news, but i can't read Hebrew. It is a way to provide some context for those with this idealized picture of the state of Israel, imo. I stay with Jews there, and imo Jews are just people too, like anybody else.

Of course to us they mostly seem like Muslims, hard to even tell much difference on the street, which for me completed the strangest...triad? that i have ever seen on the planet; that being that one between the three religions, where each one has a relationship to the other, that the third perceives...ha, don't guess i will be able to explain much better,

but a clue might be that to Jews, Christians are in general perceived to be = Muslims, although this is usually occluded to us also, and i would say more prevalent among the older generation. Of course many Jews and Muslims get along fine, but mostly younger ones.

So, We don't really recognize this Christian=Muslim thing to Jews--if you ever heard some of Bibi's early rantings, trust me you would demand that all aid to Israel be stopped tomorrow; to him we are dogs to be eaten--but Muslims do.

Add to that that we are completely oblivious of our relationship with Muslims--or our similarity, i guess, i'm not really putting this right--as both religions accept Christ, even though some minor semantics are used to keep us apart. And we give Jews--whose leadership mostly consider us dogs--billions of dollars a year in aid, not that we don't give Muslims aid too, but let's admit that Israel is pretty much a satellite of US in a way that Egypt just is not, the point being that our aid to Muslim leadership is mostly cooperation money or whatever.

Thank You for your response! I know only Two people in Israel, One A Kariaite Jew,and the other a Mesianic Jew. the Messy onic has expressed the liberal ways in which the Secular Jews live today, of which they out number any others that hold to a belief in God.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Thank You for your response! I know only Two people in Israel, One A Kariaite Jew,and the other a Mesianic Jew. the Messy onic has expressed the liberal ways in which the Secular Jews live today, of which they out number any others that hold to a belief in God.
i find it significant that all three mono religions are hopelessly fractured

not sure what sect the Jews i know belong to, something pretty mainstream i guess

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
sorry but wrong - Jesus called us to love each other as He loved us - so guess how He loved us and why - twinc

sorry but you are wrong and this is what keeps happening when we quote ourselves and not the Church or bible that tell us what love is viz "greater love has no man but that a man lays down His life for His friends" - for this is love that whilst we were enemies of God Christ died for us - twinc

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Dying for us was not the only way Jesus loves us. He loved us through service towards His neighbor - healing, washing the feet of his disciples, multiply the loaves and fishes; he met our needs during his earthy ministry and even more so today.

sorry but you are wrong and this is what keeps happening when we quote ourselves and not the Church or bible that tell us what love really is viz greater love has no man than that a man lays down his life for his friends and this is love that God loves us in that whilst we were still His enemies Christ died for us - twinc

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
well wth twinc have you just started some new meds or what lol
Recognizing our tendency to be tribal is the first step. We need to stop feeling guilt and shame about it because it leads to hiding and ignoring the problem. Instead of being angry when it is pointed out, we can listen to feedback and change our behavior. We should be talking about our history of racism and learning different ways to interact with each other.

One thing we do know, based on research, is that the older we get, the more we want to be with our own race/culture (this applies to all people) because older people like predictability - so we need to start changing attitudes early in life. By the time we get older and seek to be around people who share our values/race/culture we will hopefully remain respectful and loving towards people of other cultures.

Racism like poverty will always be with us, which is why we need to be aware of it and actively work against it.
wow, i'm struggling to see why this post is so controversial. Also. i guess.

Reactions: aspen and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
There is nothing we can do to get rid of racism and poverty
two diff subjects, but you can get rid of racism in yourself, can't you?
there is nothing wrong with tribalism; as long as we still love the other tribe.
um, i think 'tribalism' means "not liking the other guys" Mary

Reactions: aspen

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The discussion is about instituinlized racism and poverty. Not us as individuals.

No....that is not not what tribalism means. You should have put your famous IMO after your statement.

Let me help you: Dictionary by Merriam-Webster: America's most-trusted online dictionary

Mary

1. Tribalism: tribal consciousness and loyalty; especially: exaltation of the tribe above other groups.

2. Dealing with our own tendencies towards tribalism and racism and poverty is the best way to deal with the issue - we can only influence others; we can change ourselves.

3. IMO is implied in every post - every word posted on this board is opinion - even scripture, because of how it is applied.

4. Based on Trumps impulsivity, poor judgment, disorganized thinking and anger/vengefulness; it appears that his executive functioning is impaired. Executive function is associated with the prefrontal and frontal cortex of the brain. It appears that Trump suffers impairment in this area of the brain.

5. Yes. I agree that Jesus loves Trump. However, I doubt he loves his abhorrent behavior.

Please don't lump Mary into your "this applies to all people". The statement is NOT factual.

Well.........since you asked in the third person, I'll exclude you from everyone

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. Tribalism: tribal consciousness and loyalty; especially: exaltation of the tribe above other groups.

2. Dealing with our own tendencies towards tribalism and racism and poverty is the best way to deal with the issue - we can only influence others; we can change ourselves.

3. IMO is implied in every post - every word posted on this board is opinion - even scripture, because of how it is applied.

4. Based on Trumps impulsivity, poor judgment, disorganized thinking and anger/vengefulness; it appears that his executive functioning is impaired. Executive function is associated with the prefrontal and frontal cortex of the brain. It appears that Trump suffers impairment in this area of the brain.

5. Yes. I agree that Jesus loves Trump. However, I doubt he loves his abhorrent behavior.

The frontal lobe executive functions is responsible for things such as planning for the future, judgment, decision-making skills, attention span, and inhibition.

You are saying that President Trump is IMAIRED in all 5 of those areas?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The frontal lobe executive functions is responsible for things such as planning for the future, judgment, decision-making skills, attention span, and inhibition.

You are saying that President Trump is IMAIRED in all 5 of those areas?

Indeed

1. Based on assessments by world leaders and congressmen on both sides, Trump has a 15 minute attention span.

2. His judgement is poor, based on his willingness to act on his own, without the guidance of the courts (pardoning sheriff Joe); botching the healthcare plan by not working with congress to promote it to the American people; choosing to create drama rather than get his work done (promoting his agenda and republican agenda); and relying on executive action to promote his disorganized attempts to undo everything Obama put in place.

3. It appears that his pattern of decision making is based on his perspective, and over-identification with his ego. His pattern seems to include picking fights and seek vengeance.

4. His lack of inhibition is legendary and pervasive in every conversation he engages in, but most evident in his relationship with his Twitter account.

5. 'Making America Great Again" is a slogan, not a plan for the future, but it is the closest Trump has gotten to presenting the American public with an organized plan or goal of his presidency.

Frontal lobe dysfunction does not have to include all five impairments or equal dysfunction in all areas - Trump just happens to be a five star general

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed

1. Based on assessments by world leaders and congressmen on both sides, Trump has a 15 minute attention span.

2. His judgement is poor, based on his willingness to act on his own, without the guidance of the courts (pardoning sheriff Joe); botching the healthcare plan by not working with congress to promote it to the American people; choosing to create drama rather than get his work done (promoting his agenda and republican agenda); and relying on executive action to promote his disorganized attempts to undo everything Obama put in place.

3. It appears that his pattern of decision making is based on his perspective, and over-identification with his ego. His pattern seems to include picking fights and seek vengeance.

4. His lack of inhibition is legendary and pervasive in every conversation he engages in, but most evident in his relationship with his Twitter account.

5. 'Making America Great Again" is a slogan, not a plan for the future, but it is the closest Trump has gotten to presenting the American public with an organized plan or goal of his presidency.

Frontal lobe dysfunction does not have to include all five impairments or equal dysfunction in all areas - Trump just happens to be a five star general
Hi aspen,

The pardoning of Sherrif Arpio (because no President has ever been controversial in their pardons) shows true mental impairment.

The Republicans haven't been able to repel and replace the healthcare bill BEFORE Trump or with Trump so that shows ALL of them are mentally impaired. But we already knew the Republicans are mentally impaired.

Relying on executive action to reverse all of Obama's executive actions is the clearest sign of mental impairment. Because anyone that uses executive action is CLEARLY impaired.
Executive Orders

That stupid slogan. I hate it. I like something with meat like like ummmm, "Change we can believe in"and ummmm, let's see, something that really says I have a plan for the future: I got it, "Yes we can".

Of course what does all this matter? It doesn't. He OBVIOUSLY has a mental impairment and we should pray for him. Right? Isn't that what you would do for a close friend or family member with a mental impairment?

Mary

Reactions: Helen

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi aspen,

The pardoning of Sherrif Arpio (because no President has ever been controversial in their pardons) shows true mental impairment.

The Republicans haven't been able to repel and replace the healthcare bill BEFORE Trump or with Trump so that shows ALL of them are mentally impaired. But we already knew the Republicans are mentally impaired.

Relying on executive action to reverse all of Obama's executive actions is the clearest sign of mental impairment. Because anyone that uses executive action is CLEARLY impaired.
Executive Orders

That stupid slogan. I hate it. I like something with meat like like ummmm, "Change we can believe in"and ummmm, let's see, something that really says I have a plan for the future: I got it, "Yes we can".

Of course what does all this matter? It doesn't. He OBVIOUSLY has a mental impairment and we should pray for him. Right? Isn't that what you would do for a close friend or family member with a mental impairment?

Mary
Wow, you really are throwing around the "mental impairment" accusations - like it is a projection.

And the irony. First you bad mouth our duly elected President because of his use of executive orders. Then you say that Trump reversed "all Obama's executive actions." Then you say, "anyone that uses executive action is CLEARLY impaired." Then you say sarcastically, that we should pray for him.

I think we need to pray for you...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  1. We must repent for complicity in systemic sin.White folks must repent for histories of slavery, subjugation, segregation, and a racialized criminal justice system. While the structural nature of racism has long been recognized, the way that white theological presuppositions marginalize others is not often explored. This means that white folks must also repent for viewing our own traditions as universal. We must recognize that our own theological convictions are particular appropriations of faith in another people’s God: the Father of Abraham revealed in Jesus Christ.
  2. We must learn from cultural and theological resources, not our own.
    Rather than gravitating toward books and sermons from “white” sources, white folks must listen to other interpretive trajectories on those tradition’s terms. We have to approach texts in a non-defensive manner, seeking to read “with” and “under” non-white modes of thought rather than “apart from” or “over” them.
  3. We must locate our lives in places and structures in which we are necessarily guests.
    Christian theology and ecclesial practice has often understood itself as being “host” to the world. White Christians often enter unfamiliar places not as guests, but as self-appointed arbiters of divine hospitality. How different it would be if white folks practiced withholding judgment about what is “needed” in specific places and structures. White Christians can no longer lament that there is “no diversity” in their own contexts when they have chosen where they live and work based on market factors and cultural comfort.
  4. We must tangibly submit to non-white church leadership.
    White folks often retain positions of power and control for themselves and then lament the non-inclusion of people of color in their activities. White Christians desiring to practice reconciliation must not unilaterally start churches, plan worship services, design cultural events, and organize community activities and then invite “others” to them. Rather, white folks must join churches or ministry associations in which they are a minority and which are led by non-white folks.
  5. We must learn to hear and speak the glory of God in unfamiliar cadences.
    If white folks practice being guests and submitting to non-white leadership, we will begin to hear God spoken about in ways with which we are not familiar. Rather than jumping to evaluation of previously unfamiliar modes of discourse, white folks must learn to “sit with it” for a while, to join in and experience the praises of Jesus in ways that may be initially uncomfortable. As with any other practice, it is only through participation over a sustained period of time that humans can begin to appreciate previously unfamiliar aesthetic experiences. Unfortunately, white Christians often casually assess other cultural experiences as “fun” or “interesting” but not worthy of sustained involvement. It is only within mutuality and vulnerability that we will learn to hear and speak the diverse tongues of the Spirit.
Article on reconciliation from Fuller Theological Center