Ramifications

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is a bit disheartening to see all the heresies arising from private interpretations of the scriptures:

1. Mixing up the terms soul and spirit

2. Rejecting the foundational Christian doctrine of the Trinity

3. Rejecting the divinity of Christ

4. Rejecting the personages of the Father and Holy Spirit

5. Idolizing the Bible

6. Mixing up the Word (scripture) with the Word (Jesus)

7. Mixing up the word 'religion' with Jesus's condemnation of the Pharisees.

8. Creating entire doctrines from no scripture (Dispensationalism)

9. Over-empathize and fixation on pet scriptures (Sabbath, Rapture, Homosexuality, end-time prophecy)

10. Over identification and hyper-literalism of scripture.

Just this short list reminds me how important Tradition is for safe guarding scripture! Rejection of Tradition opens the door to private interpretation of scripture, Relativism, radical individualism, and all of the post modern fears that Protestants see, but have no idea where it comes from.

Seriously guys - the lack of understanding and raw knowledge of Church history is killing your theology.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interpreted... You guys are not Catholic.

Well... You are right!

Reactions: Groundzero

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Tradition is what gets man into trouble.

Mark 7:10-13 (NLT)
For instance, Moses gave you this law from God: ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and ‘Anyone who speaks disrespectfully of father or mother must be put to death.’ [sup]11[/sup] But you say it is all right for people to say to their parents, ‘Sorry, I can’t help you. For I have vowed to give to God what I would have given to you.’ [sup]12[/sup] In this way, you let them disregard their needy parents. [sup]13[/sup] And so you cancel the word of God in order to hand down your own tradition. And this is only one example among many others.”

Colossians 2:8 (NKJV)
Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.

1 Peter 1:18 (NKJV)
knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers,

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interpreted... You guys are not Catholic.

Well... You are right!

Ha! Yeah I guess you are right about that.....

I think my Catholicism is showing :eek:

Tradition is what gets man into trouble.

Mark 7:10-13 (NLT)
For instance, Moses gave you this law from God: ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and ‘Anyone who speaks disrespectfully of father or mother must be put to death.’ [sup]11[/sup] But you say it is all right for people to say to their parents, ‘Sorry, I can’t help you. For I have vowed to give to God what I would have given to you.’ [sup]12[/sup] In this way, you let them disregard their needy parents. [sup]13[/sup] And so you cancel the word of God in order to hand down your own tradition. And this is only one example among many others.”

Colossians 2:8 (NKJV)
Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.

1 Peter 1:18 (NKJV)
knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers,

Context is everything - Jesus was speaking to a Jewish audience.

So is Jesus asking us to participate in an alter call every morning so that we can start all over in our relationship with Christ?

There is a big difference between the doctrines of men and God - and it is not the difference between Catholicism and Protestantism. It is the difference between orthodoxy and heresy.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Don't use that argument..it doesn't work. Jesus is speaking to you and me. Everything He has ever said reaches through time and space to our hearts in 2012. Spiritual truth is timeless and is ALWAYS RELEVANT.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But seriously.....what is to be done about this drive to interpret the Bible privately? I think it has become rampant. And I realize I like to speculate on scripture, but rejecting the doctrine of the Trinity - common!

Don't use that argument..it doesn't work. Jesus is speaking to you and me. Everything He has ever said reaches through time and space to our hearts in 2012. Spiritual truth is timeless and is ALWAYS RELEVANT.

Of course it is relevant. God doesn't have grandchildren - we are called to strip away the religion of our parents for examination - and then, after making our own decisions, we can respond to Christ on our own.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
But seriously.....what is to be done about this drive to interpret the Bible privately? I think it has become rampant. And I realize I like to speculate on scripture, but rejecting the doctrine of the Trinity - common!

Who is rejecting the Trinity???

Of course it is relevant. God doesn't have grandchildren - we are called to strip away the religion of our parents for examination - and then, after making our own decisions, we can respond to Christ on our own.

I agree. Everything that Jesus spoke to His disciples is meant for us today.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
11. Confusing the term Catholic with Roman Catholic (of which I hope we're all the former.)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is rejecting the Trinity???

Several people who are currently posting.

I agree. Everything that Jesus spoke to His disciples is meant for us today.

11. Confusing the term Catholic with Roman Catholic (of which I hope we're all the former.)

Right - I forgot the RCC had to change it's name from 'Catholic', used for 1500 years until the schism of Protestantism decided to redefine the term to include themselves.