Refuting soul sleep, aka dirt nap doctrine

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
“And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.” (Revelation 20:10)

@Aunty Jane

Can you see these words and hear them?
Ummmmm.....yep...loud and clear.....the devil is cast into "the lake of fire".....read it again....can you cast the invisible devil into a literal lake? The lake of fire is called “the second death”, so it is not a literal place where literal things are literally tormented...it is the second place where the dead go if they mess up their relationship with God and abandon him.

Who is the "beast" and the "false prophet"? Because the devil joins them in that lake....What is the fire a symbol of in the Bible?
Why does Jesus say that what goes into Gehenna is "destroyed" (Matthew 10:28)....look up the meaning of that word.
In Greek it is "apollymi" which means....
"to destroy
  1. to put out of the way entirely, abolish, put an end to ruin

2. render useless

3. to kill".

Reactions: BarneyFife

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you guys even understand this verse and understand what was going on in Eden?
I am beginning to wonder what on earth you think it means?
Was there any other cause of death in Eden except disobedience? Where did God tell Adam that he would go if he disobeyed?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How about this statement:

“And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.” (Jeremiah 13:14)
There is that word again....."DESTROY"...the death penalty does not need to have suffering attached to it, in fact in most cases of capital punishment, death is swift.....stoning, beheading, hanging, firing squad, lethal injection....all are a lot kinder than illnesses that leave people suffering for sometimes years. The good people suffer that kind of suffering along with the wicked, so how is it that God is only punishing bad people with suffering? For some, life in this world is a punishment all by itself....But God did not cause it. This is the devil's world and he is its ruler. (1 John 5:19)
Put the blame where it lies.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
can you cast the invisible devil into a literal lake?

Oh, I see now.

Sooo….

Is heaven a “literal” place? Keep in mind, you cannot SEE heaven. So in your logic is heaven just a symbol too?

If you deny the lake of fire as a literal place you must deny heaven as well! Be consistent!

Take this verse and call me in the morning:

“While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.” (2 Corinthians 4:18)

The lake a fire is an eternal place (you cannot see it now).

Heaven is an eternal place (you cannot see it now).

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh, I see now.

Sooo….

Is heaven a “literal” place? Keep in mind, you cannot SEE heaven. So in your logic is heaven just a symbol too?

If you deny the lake of fire as a literal place you must deny heaven as well! Be consistent!

Take this verse and call me in the morning:

“While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.” (2 Corinthians 4:18)

The lake a fire is an eternal place (you cannot see it now).

Heaven is an eternal place (you cannot see it now).
It is apparent from the scriptures that living beings inhabit heaven...we have that on good authority...even Jesus said “Our Father who art in heaven”....and he said that he had “come down from heaven”....but I have yet to see anything alive in Gehenna. Whatever is in there is DESTROYED......

See definition of “DESTROYED”....:)

Last edited:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is truth.

I find it quite bizarre that a question from a heretical point of view is “insightful” to you.

Heresy is only a view that opposes your own.

While the Bible is true, it is not truth for there are truths not contained in the Bible. @BarnyFife's question reveals the truth the heretics attempt to hide by not answering but instead engage in personal attacks and call names like heretical.

If you want to call me and others who have different views of Scripture, it changes nothing. I've been called worse by others more self-righteous than you.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heresy is only a view that opposes your own.

While the Bible is true, it is not truth for there are truths not contained in the Bible. @BarnyFife's question reveals the truth the heretics attempt to hide by not answering but instead engage in personal attacks and call names like heretical.

If you want to call me and others who have different views of Scripture, it changes nothing. I've been called worse by others more self-righteous than you.

“And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.” (Mark 9:43-44)

“Different views”?

Truth is the same. Those who refuse the truth are the ones with a heretical view which you call “different”.

It’s best if a faithful Bible reader stay away from “Christians” lest he be corrupted by them these last days:

“many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.” (Matthew 24:11)

INDEED!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.” (Mark 9:43-44)
That's an interesting quote. I presume that the highlighted bit are those that you wish to bring to our attention, so let us deal with them shall we.
First, I assume the reason you quoted that particular verse is because you think it defends your position that God is
A. intending to torment living creatures forever in fire or
B. Has already begun.
To that highlighted portion of scripture...
Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.. That says two things.
A. There's a worm that doesn't die.
B. No-one can put the fire out.
What it doesn't say is that I or anyone else is a worm, nor does it explain what that worm is and why it's there. Do you know what it is and why it's there... From scripture?
Second thing it doesn't say is that the fire doesn't eventually go out. I could build a beautiful big fire in my back yard, stand at the gate with an M16 and shoot every fireman and potential hose man so that the fire cannot be quenched. But that doesn't mean the fire won't go out of its own accord once it runs out of fuel.

You are reading into that verse a heck of a lot of stuff that ain't there, and making some mighty assumptions based on half understood presumptions and only superficial reading. That verse simply does not say what you think it says... What you want it to say. Like I said earlier, I cannot understand why Christians who profess to love God are so intent on defaming His character with so little evidence.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Different views”?

Yes, different views. And you sadly equate yourself with the almighty in referencing who is offended so as to cut off your arm, etc.

I don’t think God is the least bit offended at my embrace of doctrines like Soul Sleep.

Steve Ciocolanti, from Discovery Ministries of Australia, said Christians should be more tolerant of fellow believers and stop categorizing all doctrinal differences as Heresy.

He said Heresy should be reserved for a teaching that prevents one from obtaining salvation. I agree with this.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Steve Ciocolanti, from Discovery Ministries of Australia… He said Heresy should be reserved for a teaching that prevents one from obtaining salvation. I agree with this.

Yet in this case (quoted below) Paul taught to get away from those who would dispute his teaching on masters and servants, and he even describes them with words that this delicate and weak generation would characterize as “insulting”:

“Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed. And they that have believing masters, let them not despise them, because they are brethren; but rather do them service, because they are faithful and beloved, partakers of the benefit. These things teach and exhort. If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.” (1 Timothy 6:1-5)

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot understand why Christians who profess to love God are so intent on defaming His character with so little evidence.

Allow me to hazard a guess. Advocating endless torture encourages the masses to be easier to control due to fear.

We are seeing the same thing with vaccines ... A little logic:
1. if the vaccines work, the unvaccinated pose no danger.
2. If the vaccines don’t work, why is the push for them?
3. The answer is money and control/power.

Likewise, if you don’t believe in what we say is orthoxy, we will huff and we will puff and coerce you with stories of being tortured by fire for all eternity.

Reactions: Brakelite

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet in this case (quoted below) Paul taught to get away from those who would dispute his teaching on masters and servants

No you didn’t!

You didn’t just compare AS EQUAL Scriptures directive on how we should interact with one another in our SOCIAL roles to your heretical view on Soul Sleep?!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Allow me to hazard a guess. Advocating endless torture encourages the masses to be easier to control due to fear.

We are seeing the same thing with vaccines ... A little logic:
1. if the vaccines work, the unvaccinated pose no danger.
2. If the vaccines don’t work, why is the push for them?
3. The answer is money and control/power.

Likewise, if you don’t believe in what we say is orthoxy, we will huff and we will puff and coerce you with stories of being tortured by fire for all eternity.
It also pairs very nicely with the eternal security doctrine.

Reactions: Brakelite

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No you didn’t!

You didn’t just compare AS EQUAL Scriptures directive on how we should interact with one another in our SOCIAL roles to your heretical view on Soul Sleep?!

Soul sleep???

What are you talking about?!

Got the right thread?

We’ve been debating the lake of fire and everlasting punishment.

HELLO?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, so the thread’s OP is regarding Soul Sleep (which I agree with), but my latest postings were about everlasting punishment.

Excuse me.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Soul sleep???

What are you talking about?!

Got the right thread?

We’ve been debating the lake of fire and everlasting punishment.

HELLO?

Oh. In that case, your heretical views on the lake of fire and everlasting punishment.

Neither are EQUAL to Scriptures directive on how we should treat each other in our SOCIAL roles.