Regarding the Holy Spirit and His gifts I believe...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rearding the baptism of the Holy Spirit, spiritual gifts and some other things I believe;

• 1. Yes, I know this is for today and all gifts including tongues, are yet given to believers.

• 2. There is no secondary experience from God once you truly become a Christian.

• 3. Those who speak in tongues are completely deceived, this is not from God at all.

• 4. Spiritual gifts, including tongues passed away after the time of the apostles ended

• 5. Those lacking baptism in the Holy Spirit lack God's anointing and power

• 6. My denominations teaching on this is true. Baptism in the Holy Spirit is not for now.

• 7. Jesus no longer speaks directly to believers, only through the scripture

• 8. Miracles of healing are not for today, modern medicine and doctors are our means of healing

• 9. Much of the bible is allegorical and never really happened.

• 10. I am a Christian but Jesus Christ is not God Almighty

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Dave L

A little weak. Each of the hearers at Pentecost recognized that other foreigners present there were hearing the sermons in their own known tongue...… but the sounds being made by the speakers were "unknown" to all of them, even the ones speaking them. One voice was not speaking all 15 languages represented by the visitors, yet those visitors each heard in their own, esoteric, native tongues.... at the very same moment. (That is what they expressed such amazement at...…. NOT that the speaker was speaking in their language; that kind of thing would not have been rare, at all.)
Most mistakenly think the Apostles spoke in human tongues. They did not. They spoke in a heavenly tongue to God and those who understood also received the gift of interpretation. Others without the gift of interpretation dismissed it as gibberish.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most mistakenly think the Apostles spoke in human tongues. They did not. They spoke in a heavenly tongue to God and those who understood also received the gift of interpretation. Others without the gift of interpretation dismissed it as gibberish.
The Bible doesn't say they understood a heavenly language, and interpreted it, translating that language into their own native language. The Bible plainly says that each of them actually, individually and directly, "heard" their own language.... no interpretation necessary, nor involved, at all.

D

Dave L

The Bible doesn't say they understood a heavenly language, and interpreted it, translating that language into their own native language. The Bible plainly says that each of them actually, directly, "heard" their own language.... no interpretation necessary, or involved, at all.
If you compare Paul in 1 Corinthians with Acts 2, that is how it comes out.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no interpretation necessary, nor involved, at all.

Isn't The Interpreter the Spirit of God? "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."

Reactions: Mayflower

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Your interpretation of the Scriptures is as baseless as your comprehension of them. Those rejecting and denying of God's gifts are become self appointed teachers, attempting to instruct those of good hearts that readily accept God's generous gifts.

10After a first and second admonition, have nothing further to do with any one who will not be taught; 11for, as you know, a man of that description has turned aside from the right path and is a sinner self-condemned.

I do not understand your presence here. You refuse our beliefs and deny being denominational yet all your arguments fly in the face of scripture.

You make blanket assertions that are contrary to scripture.

What are you doing here? You neither receive the truth or have any edification to offer. You are only attempting to provoke. You fight against God trampling His word under your denominational feet.
A false cloak of independent standing will not conceal your denominational indoctrination. Somewhere, some time frame, you sat before other denominational
teachers and the ought into their anti-Christian rhetoric and doctrine.

Who did this to you? You try to hide your origins but a denominational elephant's trunk prevents disguise as a sheep. Who did this to you? Your beliefs have been to your personal harm.

Reactions: Willie T

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't The Interpreter the Spirit of God? "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."
Why would you take a verse speaking about "PROPHISIES", and try to make it about something else? Your verse says that the old Prophets didn't just invent the words they told people. It has nothing to do with "tongues."

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul says the tongue speaker edified himself. And that edification is the result of understanding what was said. This is why they interpreted tongues so the whole church could be edified.

The bolder is where you yourself have “added to” the scripture....that is not what it actually says.
And once again , like other who do not understand ....One type is for the church meetings , which has interpretation ...and one type of tongue is for private use in prayer, worship, intercession, or spiritual warfare.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would you take a verse speaking about "PROPHISIES", and try to make it about something else? Your verse says that the old Prophets didn't just invent the words they told people. It has nothing to do with "tongues."

But it does...God is the same today and yesterday and tomorrow. Are you saying the interpreter is NOT the Holy Spirit?

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Corinthians 12:10 KJVS
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

The Holy Spirit speaks the interpretation into the heart of the one chosen by God to speak out the words of the message. This is synonymous with the scripture;

Luke 21:14-15 KJVS
Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer: [15] For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.

Matthew 10:27 KJVS
What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.

The above scripture is a wonderful picture of interpreting a message in tongues.

I prophesy and have prophesied in assemblies and standing quietly in worship the urging of the Lord's Holy Spirit will give you the first few words in a pressing manner. In faith you speak them out and as you do the words flow from God through your pirit to your mouth. This is how the prophets of old received the Canon of old testament scripture.

VIJ original question.

Isn't The Interpreter the Spirit of God?

See 1corinthians 12:10

The Interpreter is a man or woman given the gift of interpretation. The original speaker is God.

Like any interpreter you stand and speak the words of the original speaker as they are spoken into your spirit.

These things are by the spirit. The natural mind of men not baptized in the Holy Spirit are caught in the web of denominational doctrines, and fail by trying to apply natural reasoning to them.

Does not th
e scripture plainly tell us this? Yes, very plainly.

1 Corinthians 2:14 KJVS
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them , because they are spiritually discerned.

Simple eh?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But it does...God is the same today and yesterday and tomorrow. Are you saying the interpreter is NOT the Holy Spirit?
That is exactly what I am saying in the case you bring. People don't "hear" a strange sound (either in their head or their hearts) and have to sit there confused, thinking "I wonder what all that odd noise means?", until The Holy Spirit comes to them and says, "Here it is in English, so you have an idea of what was said."
No, if a thought comes to us, it comes in a language (if language is the message, and not just an impression) that is our own, and that we understand.

Reactions: Frank Lee

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is exactly what I am saying in the case you bring. People don't "hear" a strange sound (either in their head or their hearts) and have to sit there confused, thinking "I wonder what all that odd noise means?", until The Holy Spirit comes to them and says, "Here it is in English, so you have an idea of what was said."
No, if a thought comes to us, it comes in a language (if language is the message, and not just an impression) that is our own, and that we understand.

Willie, please dab my brow with a cool cloth!

I realize VIJ ignores me but that's OK.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The word MADE flesh is dead without the
resurrection of life which is raised in God. Spirit. 1 Corinthians 12:4
[4] Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

“...but the same Spirit.” Same Spirit as the Prophets of God. Acts 13:27
[27] For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him .

2 Peter 1:20-21
[20] Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. [21] For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Same Spirit. The claim here of tongues is a separate baptism of the Holy Spirit. Who distributes the gifts? Who determines the gifts? Who performs the gifts for the body of Christ? The separate baptism of the Holy Spirit that fills until it spills over and you can’t contain it and start speaking in an unknown language....if it is the Holy Spirit ...then why not give Him credit also as interpreter?

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After awhile I kicked myself for ever having started this thread. But now I see there are some such as VictoryinJesus, that are honestly seeking. Others like Dave, are just here, as straight up adversaries. Either way it exercises the spirit baptized believers to pray and search the Scriptures and thoughtfully answer those truly seeking. Amen

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word MADE flesh is dead without the
resurrection of life which is raised in God. Spirit. 1 Corinthians 12:4
[4] Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

“...but the same Spirit.” Same Spirit as the Prophets of God. Acts 13:27
[27] For they that dwell at Jerusalem, and their rulers, because they knew him not, nor yet the voices of the prophets which are read every sabbath day, they have fulfilled them in condemning him .

2 Peter 1:20-21
[20] Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. [21] For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

Same Spirit. The claim here of tongues is a separate baptism of the Holy Spirit. Who distributes the gifts? Who determines the gifts? Who performs the gifts for the body of Christ? The separate baptism of the Holy Spirit that fills until it spills over and you can’t contain it and start speaking in an unknown language....if it is the Holy Spirit ...then why not give Him credit also as interpreter?

The Holy Spirit is the preacher. The gifted (by the same Holy Spirit) stands, as I carefully explained previously, and listens to the Holy Spirit, speaking what He says.

The 12th chapter of first Corinthians is the definitive guide.

1 Corinthians 12:10 KJVS
To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

Berean Study Bible
to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in various tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After awhile I kicked myself for ever having started this thread. But now I see there are some such as VictoryinJesus, that are honestly seeking. Others like Dave, are just here, as straight up adversaries. Either way it exercises the spirit baptized believers to pray and search the Scriptures and thoughtfully answer those truly seeking. Amen
Often I just shake my head in puzzlement, and go watch some TV, or go to the gym. I get tired of people trying their best to sound so "Holy", that they no longer even make any sense.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Often I just shake my head in puzzlement, and go watch some TV, or go to the gym. I get tired of people trying their best to sound so "Holy", that they no longer even make any sense.

I have cringed at denominational preachers as they cloaked themselves with that false, whining, faux crying voice attempting to work up in their flesh what only the Holy Spirit can truly, faithfully, honestly manifest. That is, heartfelt love.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have often said that if a verse really means something to us, we should easily be able to tell someone else what the verse means in everyday English that the person we are talking to can fully understand. But, it so seldom seems to be the case. That is where this came from...…

Typical Bible Class

Instructor: "Brother Jones, will you read Verse 1?"
Brother Jones reads it.
Instructor: "Brother Smith, can you tell us what that verse means?
Brother Smith: "Just what it says!"
All the Class: "AMEN!!!"
Instructor: "Thank you. Now, Brother Brown, will you read verse 2?"

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
that Paul said would end

You need to read the rest.
You'r posting out of context.
You cannot pick and choose a few words.

The coming of the "perfect" in verse 10 refers to the second coming of Christ.
My understanding of the text is that the gifts will continue until Jesus comes.

Last edited:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am unsure if you saw what I had wrote, but I felt lead to write it, so Ill bump it.

I find that when I can't let a subject rest, like tongues as a prayer language, there is truth to it. So I am reading this thread. But I realize that no, I do not understand the subject well enough to speak. But I think it is good stuff on both sides.

Is there a main list of scriptures that talk about tongues as a prayer language?

Reactions: Nancy

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lee, I use anyone for My purpose. I humble the prideful and bring honor to the humble. The storms come, and those upon the rock stand firm. Those who do not have their foundation on the rock are hewn down. They are washed away by the tide. Focus on Me and feed My sheep. Do not be distracted by the world, for I am Your Life. Every good and perfect gift comes from Me. And My desire is to share My gifts with many.

Here it is...I was asking about interpretation. I don't think that is it, but God was saying something. I can't say what is from God and what is from me, but I like it! I just want to be careful saying what is from God and what isn't why my second guess on tongues until I have a better understanding.

Reactions: Nancy