Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the day believers as an assembly, wanted to honor and glorify the Lord in fellowship on, because He had risen on that day of the week.

You can’t find the above statement anywhere in Scriptures. It is only your opinion.

Matthew 28:1In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

The translation above is incorrect. Firstly, the word “Sabbath” is the Greek word “sabaton” which is a plural word. Secondly, the words “day” and “week” are omitted in the original manuscripts.

Note that the word “day” is italicized meaning the translators are warning the reader it is not in the original manuscripts, and the word “week” is the same Greek word “sabaton” (“Sabbaths”), which is a plural word.
While "week" is a singular word it cannot be transliterated as a plural word nor vice versa from a plural to a singular word in any rules of any language.

The text therefore should read thusly: “In the end of the Sabbaths, as it began to dawn toward the first of the Sabbaths...

Doesn't it make sense now?

I hope this helps

To God Be The Glory

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I love the Lord Jesus Christ because I am blameless for profaning the sabbath day because I recognize Him as Lord of the sabbath as He is able to make me stand by His righteousness alone apart from the law. That is my faith in Him.

So then, If another loves the Lord Jesus Christ because he is blameless for profaning the Sabbath Day because he recognizes Him as Lord of the Sabbath as He is able to make him stand by His righteousness alone apart from the law, that is not faith in Him?!

But tell me, how do you '~recognize Jesus Christ as Lord of the Sabbath~' but don't 'recognise', the Sabbath He is Lord of?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
There is nothing in the NT suggesting the Sabbath is abolished,

Christ Jesus the Son of God was abolished, that is, was KILLED, taken out of the way, the Lamb of God. Don't you understand it, man? No you don't; that's why you deny the New Testament is NOTHING than the Good News of the Law of God his Eternal WORD of "the Hand of God Engraved Law AGAINST us, taken out of the way WITH its ordinances" "IN HIM" OR HE NEVER ROSE FROM THE DEAD AGAIN!

HOW was the Son of Man Lord of the Sabbath?

By having raised from the dead ON IT "and God the day The Seventh Day from all his works, RESTED".

Last edited:

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom_5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Who was that man, Adam, when did teh law come.

From Adam to Moses was about 2500 years, and in that time was sin,

Rom_5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
]
so you see, sin was around ling time before we had the law, the law brought condemnation So many love walking around condemned.

There was laws in the Garden, Adam was instructed to take charge over the Garden , to tend to it, God also Commanded Adam to not eat of the Tree in the Midst of the Garden. So If God Command's is it not a Law? Adam broke the Law, and the Death Penalty was issued. Disobedience is Sin!
God gave mankind law's to teach them how to live, before God and among others, If you kept them you would be Blessed, and if you rejected them you would be Cursed, Life or Death, Choose Life.
It is also written that there are those that have not the Law, but through their own form or way's do the thing's pertaining to the Law, like not killing one another, or stealing from one another, or taking another's wife, or livestock, so even without the Law specifically they keep the Law.
I know that there is no Scripture that states that the Sabbath was Changed, by any Authority. Not in the NT, nothing that Specifically refers to the Sabbath being changed by anyone.
But if you look up the Counsel of Laodicea, Cannon 29. You will find out where and when the 4th commandment went South, It was with great Authority that it was Changed!!! Constantine the Great passed a LAW, with the penalty of death, Constantine was the Emperor of Rome, you know where they fed Christians to the wild Beasts, burned them alive, had them hacked to death by Gladiators, ROME, powerful Rome!! Historical proff that the Early Believer's were still keeping the Sabbath! for it reads- We will no longer Judieze by keeping the Sabbath, we will work on that day and we will keep the Lord's Day and rest if at all Possible. Sad thing is! the lord Constantine was referring to was Mithra the Sun god, also aka the lord, History also states that this was enforced within Rome proper, there were many Early Believer's still keeping the Sabbath in out laying areas.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suggest you read John 7:23-24.

God, although is Sovereign, does not do things nonchalantly. He does everything with a purpose and does it perfectly.

Romans 14:4-8 is self-explanatory. It is NOT, however, is speaking about the Sabbath. I think you have in mind Colossians 2:16-17, but here, the Sabbath is but a shadow and the reality is Christ.

1 John 1:3 reads:
That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you,that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

Can a believer alone have fellowship with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ outside of the church? Most certainly!

Sunday, according to Matthew 28:1 has been designated by God to be the worship day and assembly of the church in the New Testament.

Yes, I am regarding (as well as God) that Sunday is the new Sabbath for the New Testament Believers. You can’t get around Matthew 28 and Acts 13:42,44.

To God Be The Glory

Creation sets when the day starts for the Jewish people and that is at sunset and ends at sunset and so when it says this about being late towards the end of teh sabbath, it was approaching sunset when the next day, the first day of the week begins in Matthew 28:1. That verse was not testifying that the first day of the week was the sabbath when it was ending before the first day began at sunset.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Direct contradiction and opposite of what is really WRITTEN, sorry... rejectable with due disrespect.

Then it is hypocritical to say that the church was giving their liberality to Jerusalem if it was because of an order from Paul. That is not liberality.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It mentioned Paul's order to all the churches which is inconsistent when applying it to the church's liberality in giving the bounty to Jerusalem
SO Paul's order to all the churches for the collection FOR the saints and bringing the church's liberality to Jerusalem are two different subjects, and why such gatherings was done on Sunday, the Lord's Day, because He had risen on that day.
Paul did not order all the churches, but only the churches of Galatia (1 Corinthians 16:1). There were many more churches than those few in Galatia, yet they were not ordered to make collections.

The reason I referenced 2 Corinthians was to show what that order was, which then by going back to 1 Corinthians 16, you may see that the order for the collection for the saints ( those in ministry outreach as 2 Corinthians 9th chapter explains ) was setting a portion aside from the bounty collected for the gathering for the saints in ministry.

It cannot be a liberality of that church to give to Jerusalem if it was an order. The liberality was the bounty collected and what the church wanted to give to Jerusalem since 2 Corinthians 9th chapter specified the giver wanting to give and not having to give in God raising up cheerful givers for that bounty to come about. Then whatever collection of the bounty was for as the bounty was for the church to give for their liberality ( as their liberality was not always for Jerusalem when it was at the time of Paul's writing when there was a famine ) but for spreading among the members of the church & for the poor in need among them; the church had agreed to the order to set a portion of the bounty aside for the support for the saints in outward ministry.

If you note in 1 Corinthians 16, Paul wasn't sure he would be going with those saints to bring their liberality ( not necessarily the whole bounty ) to Jerusalem as he did mentioned that he may winter there from which the order to provide for him and other saints in the ministry would come in handy.

Indeed, earlier in 1 Corinthians 9th chapter, Paul did declare he would preach the gospel without charge after contending why the church should support the saints in the ministry as within the church as well as those in missionary outreach outside the church.

So I believe you are applying the order for the collection FOR the saints wrongly towards their "liberality" wince the church was willing to give from the bounty collected for Jerusalem because then, their liberality would be contrary if their giving to Jerusalem was an order.

Every church service has a collection given. In Acts, when a community of new believers all spoke with one accord when after having received the Holy Ghost, it was then that they gave and shared everything so that no new believer lacked anything. This was the purpose for the bounty collected from those willing to give. This was the purpose for the order that the church agreed to in setting aside a portion of the bounty collected each church service so that there will be no gatherings when Paul or any saint in the ministry come for a visit or be in need of provision for their next missionary outreach. That way the church provides to avoid the church and the missionary looking to each member of the congregation to provide, thus giving them a compelling reason to give; a necessity which then would be hard to avoid the appearance of covetousness.

2 Corinthians 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

SO Paul's order to all the churches for the collection FOR the saints and bringing the church's liberality to Jerusalem are two different subjects, and why such gatherings was done on Sunday, the Lord's Day, because He had risen on that day.
I think you are reading the setting aside of support for missionary outreach into the texts concerning the collection for Jerusalem.

You are not seeing why He is Lord of the sabbath. He is not Lord of adultery. He is not Lord of murder. He is Lord of the Sabbath for a reason. Is not all those other ten commandments are what Jews were NOT to do? But keeping the sabbath day is an ongoing thing. Jesus gives them rest from that in becoming His people in obtaining righteousness by the law when they could not keep the commandments under the Old Covenant to be saved.
All Ten Commandments are an "ongoing thing". The New Covenant with its inwardly written Torah and the indwelling Holy Spirit empowers a person to obey the law, not to be saved, but as a fruit of salvation. Obedience to any command of YHWH or Yeshua is a fruit of salvation.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Christ Jesus the Son of God was abolished, that is, was KILLED, taken out of the way, the Lamb of God. Don't you understand it, man? No you don't; that's why you deny the New Testament is NOTHING than the Good News of the Law of God his Eternal WORD of "the Hand of God Engraved Law AGAINST us, taken out of the way WITH its ordinances" "IN HIM" OR HE NEVER ROSE FROM THE DEAD AGAIN!

Am I supposed to understand this? What, exactly, am I denying? :confused:

HOW was the Son of Man Lord of the Sabbath?
It means the Sabbath does not rule over him, but that he rules over the Sabbath; that he has the power/authority to interpret the commandment as to how to keep it holy. It certainly does not mean he has the power to abolish it or change it.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I know you can’t see it, nor understand it, and is spiritually blind to it, but I did give you Matthew 28:1 and Acts 13:42, 44. And, these are not my words but God’s. It is not only a matter of understanding what these scriptures are saying, they must also be obeyed.
Matthew 28:1 are God's words, but your interpretation certainly is not of God.

I assure you there are many, many other children of God who believes Matthew 28 as I do.
They are probably all in your church having been taught by you.

gadar perets said:
Are you now saying all who don't accept your view of Matthew 28:1 are accursed?
Yes, most definitely and it is not I but Paul (Galatians 1:8-9)! Matthew 28:1 is a command of God and must be obeyed! Of course, if you or anyone does not obey, just look to the story of Adam and Eve.

To God Be The Glory
You are a sadly deceived man.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Not all is Fulfilled yet, only Half is Fulfilled, He came the first time as the suffering Servant, When He Returns He will Fulfill the other Half!

This is who, speaking, OK? You, not Jesus, not The Truth, but you speaking the lie! For it is WRITTEN --that is, it is The Law, speaking--, "RAISING CHRIST FROM THE DEAD, GOD ... rested Him up again His Heavenly The Most Holy Place ... CHRIST THE ALL in all fulfilling FULLNESS OF GOD."
When God raised Him up from the dead, the Great Shepherd of his sheep and gave Him to the Church as Head!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Fall Feast's starting at verse 24 Have not yet been Fulfilled. One and only one Question? According to Scripture

The fall feasts clearly are the passover in the small, a 'micro-cosmic' passover so that all year round Israel was reminded of God's GREAT ACT of deliverance "in the beginning of time (months) for you" with the passover.
Note the first week from the 10th to the 14th day of the month shortened into the 9th and 10th of the 7th month;
and note the following "eight" days feast of "branches of palm trees" gathered on the 14th day of the Seventh Month (just like the first sheaf of winter harvest was cut and gathered on the 14th day of the First Month), in order to stay in booths from the 15th day of the month (in lieu of the seven days ulb from the 15th day of the First Month and fifty days to Pentecost),
based on and for reason of:
"That your generations may know that I made the children of Israel to dwell in booths WHEN I BROUGHT THEM OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT".
And yes, notice the "branches of palm trees" so characteristic of the passover and of Jesus' fulfilment of the passover! Ezekiel 40.
Also note the stress on repentance for the 'day of judgement' which at the passover and exodus was required of Pharaoh, now required of the nation of Israel in the 'fall feasts'!

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
All Ten Commandments are an "ongoing thing". The New Covenant with its inwardly written Torah and the indwelling Holy Spirit empowers a person to obey the law, not to be saved, but as a fruit of salvation. Obedience to any command of YHWH or Yeshua is a fruit of salvation.

...is an always rotten, '~fruit of salvation~'. ALWAYS! If not for FORGIVENESS of the sins of the saved, they would be LOST.

How many times have we heard this to one billionth diluted version of forgiveness which is as synergistic as is forgiveness to one billionth contaminated with any saved person's good acts or good intentions. God forbid!

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
It means the Sabbath does not rule over him, but that he rules over the Sabbath; that he has the power/authority to interpret the commandment as to how to keep it holy. It certainly does not mean he has the power to abolish it or change it.

I asked, to state, "HOW was the Son of Man Lord of the Sabbath?"

And I meant, to answer, BY THROUGH WITH AND IN HAVING RESURRECTED ON IT FROM THE DEAD.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Mar_12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Mar_12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

So keep it and you will be without condemnation.

So keep it or don't keep it, without forgiveness you will be under condemnation still and nevertheless.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes, I have been keeping the Feasts for 32 years. They are the highlight of our family's year, especially Passover and Sukkot. We had our seder last night. It is such a blessing to remember and proclaim the great work of YHWH in delivering the children of Israel out of Egyptian bondage and to teach about how YHWH delivered us out of the bondage of sin through His Son Yeshua, the true Passover Lamb. It sure beats coloring Easter eggs and eating chocolate bunny rabbits!

GE sure dislikes this.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
He became our rest from sin and from seeking to be justified by our own works. He did not become our Sabbath rest as it relates to physical labor. Our bodies were not designed to work hard seven days a week with no rest. Neither were animals designed to do that. Not only does working seven days a week rob us of a Sabbath rest, but it does not allow us time to worship the Almighty in a congregational setting as He commanded. It does not allow us time to commune with Him or study His Word or to fellowship with brethren of like faith. Satan would gladly rob believers of those things. Christians think they have all those things on Sunday, but their is NO blessing of a Sabbath rest on Sunday. That blessing was ONLY put on the 7th day of the week.

Excellent post, just sad that the grand reason and substance of its excellence, Christ's Resurrection from the dead "on the Sabbath", so that "God the Seventh Day from all his works, RESTED", is silently obliterated.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Yes I Agree, It is a Delight, our Passover was probably in My opinion the Best yet, and the Best is yet to Come. It is just my Wife and Myself, and reenacting through Scripture, feeling as though we were part of that Great Day of Salvation is always a blessing, knowing that these are only a Shadow of thing's to Come. The Scripture say's that How do we know any man least we are of the Same Spirit, I know now that you are a Believer that truly Love's Our Savior! May YHWH Bless your Complete Family, in the Name Of Yashua!

'~These~' you're writing about, '~are~' not, '~a Shadow of things to Come~'; THEY HAD BEEN! So, for what you are '~reenacting our Passover~', 'feeling' you are 'part of that Great Day of Salvation~', cannot be 'through Scripture', while it can only be what it is, your 'feeling' to the depredation of "Christ the Substance of Feast of Sabbaths" NOW that "God hath RAISED Him from the dead (and) Christ in it hath TRIUMPHED".

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wow this thread sewed up 34 pages in just a little over a month, all by hand too, someone must be a fast sewer.