Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it holy

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It amazing how you can take verses out of context. You will be judged for the way you exclude brethren from salvation.
Bretheren, who are our bretheren,

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

As for out of context , yes it happens by quiet a lot, too many smart men around for God.

God bless

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
And that is why they are not listening to you.

Joh 10:4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
Joh 10:5 And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

God bless

For me to say '~God bless~' in the same breath one places JUDGEMENTS upon another person for whom the Almighty Merciful gave his own Life is just audacious arrogant taunting BLASPHEMY.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Bretheren, who are our bretheren,

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

As for out of context , yes it happens by quiet a lot, too many smart men around for God.

God bless

Blasphemous claims one after the other by you esteeming yourself Judge and God.

If you cannot stay on topic, stay away!

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
If I had been a brand new believer or someone searching for Jesus, when I first looked at this forum, I would have run a mile......such hardness of hearts, it is almost unbelievable !......I am more than happy not to write you again, as indeed I had already suggested to you a couple of posts back....

Please. I dare you, don't just talk, DO what you threaten to do!

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
He was CRUCIFIED AND DIED on Thursday, He was NOT '~in the tomb prior to sunset ... on a Thursday~'. Check Mark 15:42 Matthew 27:57 John 19:31,38 Luke 23:50!
What occurred before Joseph had even arrived in the story of Jesus.... crucifixion??? NO! arrived in the story of Jesus' BURIAL AND DAY OF BURIAL, JESUS' "BONE-DAY" "on the fifteenth day of the First Month" and "first day ye shall seven days EAT ulb" -- not "on the fourteenth day of the First Month ye shall KILL the passover" and "REMOVE leaven" (the life of the sacrifice), making "The Preparation which is the Fore-Sabbath" -- Friday, '~the first day in the tomb~'. So yes, He was put in the tomb prior to sunset, but prior to sunset of "That Day (that) was the Preparation mid-afternoon the Sabbath (Seventh Day) approaching / nearing / dawning", Luke 23:54! Verse 54, 3 hours prior to sunset on The Preparation and 27 hours after "the ninth hour" Jesus breathed his last breath on the day before.
As I understand it, Yeshua was crucified, died and was entombed on a Friday (Abib 14, the same day the Passover lambs were to be killed). The next day was the weekly Sabbath which was also called a "high day" because the annual Sabbath of Abib 15 fell on the same day. Luke 23:54 takes place on Abib 14 sometime between his last breath at 3:00 pm and sunset before Abib 15 began. If you disagree with a particular point, I will give you the necessary Scriptures to verify it.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The text is, "ON THE SABBATH Sabbath's-time Sabbath" - 'opse de Sabbatohn'. READ!
Which text?

The sealing of the tomb took place on Saturday, "the morning after The Preparation" Matthew 27:62-66; "but ['de'] Sabbath ['Sabbatohn'] there suddenly occurred a great earthquake k.t.l." and the Resurrection occurred -- THE SAME DAY, "the third day that deceiver said He would rise".
The entirety of Matthew 27:62-66 took place on the weekly Sabbath which was the second day. The first day, the day of his death and burial was the preparation day of Abib 14, Friday.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I understand it, Yeshua was crucified, died and was entombed on a Friday (Abib 14, the same day the Passover lambs were to be killed). The next day was the weekly Sabbath which was also called a "high day" because the annual Sabbath of Abib 15 fell on the same day. Luke 23:54 takes place on Abib 14 sometime between his last breath at 3:00 pm and sunset before Abib 15 began. If you disagree with a particular point, I will give you the necessary Scriptures to verify it.

I do rely care about all of Ya! But what Happened to the ONE sign, Yeshua stated? for as the Prophet Jonah was THREE day's and THREE night's in the Belly of the Great fish. ONE sign then Three days and three nights!!

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I do rely care about all of Ya! But what Happened to the ONE sign, Yeshua stated? for as the Prophet Jonah was THREE day's and THREE night's in the Belly of the Great fish. ONE sign then Three days and three nights!!
I believe that phrase is an idiom meaning "three days". If we take it to literally mean 72 hours, then Yeshua died on a Wednesday which would conflict with Luke 24:21.

In Luke 24:13-35, we read of the encounter between Cleopas, his companion, and Yeshua. The meeting takes place on the same day the women came to the tomb and found it empty. Verse 29 shows it was late in the day, therefore their conversation must have taken place during the daylight hours of Sunday, or as Luke 24:1 states, "the first [day] of the week."

The conversation with Yeshua begins in verse 17. "And he said unto them, What manner of communications are these that ye have one to another, as ye walk, and are sad? And the one of them, whose name was Cleopas, answering said unto him, Art thou only a stranger in Jerusalem, and hast not known the things which are come to pass there in these days? And he said unto them, What things? And they said unto him, Concerning Yeshua of Nazareth, which was a prophet mighty in deed and word before Yahweh and all the people: And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have [impaled] him. But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, today is the third day since these things were done."

The last sentence is very important. The day they were speaking was the third day since the things they were speaking about took place. What were they speaking about? Cleopas began his account of past events with the arrest of Yeshua and ended them with Messiah's death. Cleopas said "today is the third day since these things were done." Therefore, Sunday was the third day or day 3; Saturday was the second day or day 2; and Friday was the first day or day 1. Referring to Yeshua's understanding of counting days in Luke 13:32, we see that day 1 was counted as one day regardless of how much time remained in that day. That Friday was Abib 14, Passover. Yeshua was killed at the same time the Israelites were killing their Passover lambs, 3:00 in the afternoon. Even though only about three hours remained in that day, it was still day 1.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

First I'll point out what you say you understand of yourself; then I'll point you to what the Scriptures actually say.

What you say without and contrary Scripture:
'~Yeshua was crucified, died and was entombed on a Friday~'
'~Friday (Abib 14~'
'~entombed the same day the Passover lambs were to be killed~'
'~the weekly Sabbath which was also called a "high day"~'
'~the annual Sabbath of Abib 15 fell on the same day...the weekly Sabbath~'
'~Luke 23:54 takes place on Abib 14~'

What the Scriptures actually say:
'~his last breath at 3:00 pm and sunset before Abib 15 began~'

Therefore:
Jesus was crucified, died and was left forlorn on the cross while "everyone that came to that sight, heart-beating, fled" Luke 23:48,49.
The next day was 'Friday', Abib 15. It started Thursday night Luke 23:50 -- 23 verse FIFTY when "Joseph had come there", "evening having come / already being evening" Mark 15:42 Matthew 27:57 John 19:31,38.
The day AFTER Jesus had been crucified and had died, was 'Friday', Abib 15 on which his body would be and was taken off the cross (and they would have eaten "the flesh with unleavened bread" "At That Night" John 19:39), and would be and was "prepared" for the following "daylight mid-afternoon" 3 p.m. "the weekly Sabbath nearing" Luke 23:54, to be "laid there" in the tomb on "this that selfsame Whole-Day BONE-DAY" the passover lambs after sunset at its beginning, had to be eaten.

Now the passover was supposed to be EATEN in John 19:39 "At That Night" FOLLOWING the crucifixion and sacrifice of Our Passover who "in the daylight" following after "That Night", would be and was "placed" / "laid" / 'entombed' "mid-afternoon" 3.p.m. "by reason of the Jews' preparation(s) having had begun" John 19:42 on "THAT DAY The Preparation the weekly Sabbath nearing" Luke 23:54, viz., 23 verse FIFTY FOUR to 56a and the women would have had and had "begun to rest the weekly Sabbath" Luke 23:56b.

So '~the annual sabbath of Abib 15~' in that year of the Passover of Yahweh our Lord, fell on "this that selfsame Whole-Day BONE-DAY", "in That Night, the flesh with ulb" had to be EATEN but never were eaten because it was the once for ever and all Passover-of-Yahweh. Both Luke 23:50 and 54 therefore took place on Abib 15 "The Preparation which was the FORE-SABBATH", Friday, the Sixth Day of the week Thursday sunset to mid-afternoon to sunset Friday.

...because the Scriptures actually say the same as you, '~his last breath at 3:00 pm and sunset before Abib 15 began~'

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

No such Scripture as 3 days and 3 nights in the Belly of the Great fish '~what Happened to the ONE sign, Yeshua~' saying, explains everything.

Last edited:

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Therefore:
Jesus was crucified, died and was left forlorn on the cross while "everyone that came to that sight, heart-beating, fled" Luke 23:48,49.
The next day was 'Friday', Abib 15. It started Thursday night Luke 23:50 -- 23 verse FIFTY when "Joseph had come there", "evening having come / already being evening" Mark 15:42 Matthew 27:57 John 19:31,38.

The day AFTER Jesus had been crucified and had died, was 'Friday', Abib 15 on which his body would be and was taken off the cross (and they would have eaten "the flesh with unleavened bread" "At That Night" John 19:39), and would be and was "prepared" for the following "daylight mid-afternoon" 3 p.m. "the weekly Sabbath nearing" Luke 23:54, to be "laid there" in the tomb on "this that selfsame Whole-Day BONE-DAY" the passover lambs after sunset at its beginning, had to be eaten.

Now the passover was supposed to be EATEN in John 19:39 "At That Night" FOLLOWING the crucifixion and sacrifice of Our Passover who "in the daylight" following after "That Night", would be and was "placed" / "laid" / 'entombed' "mid-afternoon" 3.p.m. "by reason of the Jews' preparation(s) having had begun" John 19:42 on "THAT DAY The Preparation the weekly Sabbath nearing" Luke 23:54, viz., 23 verse FIFTY FOUR to 56a and the women would have had and had "begun to rest the weekly Sabbath" Luke 23:56b.

So '~the annual sabbath of Abib 15~' in that year of the Passover of Yahweh our Lord, fell on "this that selfsame Whole-Day BONE-DAY", "in That Night, the flesh with ulb" had to be EATEN but never were eaten because it was the once for ever and all Passover-of-Yahweh. Both Luke 23:50 and 54 therefore took place on Abib 15 "The Preparation which was the FORE-SABBATH", Friday, the Sixth Day of the week Thursday sunset to mid-afternoon to sunset Friday.

...because the Scriptures actually say the same as you, '~his last breath at 3:00 pm and sunset before Abib 15 began~'
Now I understand the mistake you are making. You believe that "evening" means the sun set beginning Abib 15. However, the Greek word "opsias" can mean late afternoon or nightfall depending on the context (See Strong's or Thayer's). In this case it was late afternoon on Friday, Abib 14. It was not only the preparation for the Sabbath, but the preparation for Passover as well because both days fell on Abib 14 that year.

John 19:31 The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.
You say the "preparation" in this verse is Friday, Abib 15 and that the bodies had to be taken down before the Sabbath on Abib 16. Correct? If so, then why was that Sabbath "an high day"? I say it was because the annual Sabbath of Abib 15 and the weekly Sabbath coincided that year. Others erroneously say that all annual Sabbaths are called "high Sabbaths" and therefore, it was the "high Sabbath of Abib 15". What do you say?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The entirety of Matthew 27:62-66 took place on the weekly Sabbath which was the second day. The first day, the day of his death and burial was the preparation day of Abib 14, Friday.

The entirety of Matthew 27:62-66 to 28:4 was what took place on the weekly Sabbath, and it is in Matthew 27:62-64 where it is stated that the grave had to be "secured for the third day" to which Jesus often referred during his ministry.

The weekly Sabbath was not the second but as referred to twice, "the third day".

The first of "the three days" was the day of his death, but not of his burial. This is the "BONE" of the matter! The HISTORIC "THREE DAYS THICK DARKNESS" of the ninth and tenth plagues were Abib 14, 15 and 16 INDISTINGUISHABLE because in the historic event of the exodus due to impenetrable darkness for the Egyptians and inextinguishable light for Israel, Abib 14, 15 and 16 were "SUBSTANTIALLY" experienced "the fourteenth day of the First Month BONE DAY", austere "day of substance, oneness and strength', 'ETSEM yom' of the LORD GOD.

The second of the "three days" therefore was the day which started in Exodus 12:8 where Israel had to "eat the flesh with ulb, late", after sunset, and "the next daylight" had to "burn with fire that which remained" of the sacrifice -- so as to foreshadow the Burial of Our Passover the Lamb and Anointed of the LORD "on the fifteenth day of the First Month".

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The entirety of Matthew 27:62-66 to 28:4 was what took place on the weekly Sabbath, and it is in Matthew 27:62-64 where it is stated that the grave had to be "secured for the third day" to which Jesus often referred during his ministry.
The Sabbath was already ended according to Matthew 28:1.

The first of "the three days" was the day of his death, but not of his burial. This is the "BONE" of the matter! The HISTORIC "THREE DAYS THICK DARKNESS" of the ninth and tenth plagues were Abib 14, 15 and 16 INDISTINGUISHABLE because in the historic event of the exodus due to impenetrable darkness for the Egyptians and inextinguishable light for Israel, Abib 14, 15 and 16 were "SUBSTANTIALLY" experienced "the fourteenth day of the First Month BONE DAY", austere "day of substance, oneness and strength', 'ETSEM yom' of the LORD GOD.
Huh? The three days of darkness took place in Exodus 10:22. Afterwards, they spoiled the Egyptians. Then Abib 14 took place. Are you also saying there was three days of darkness when Yeshua died even though the gospels say three "hours"?

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Now I understand the mistake you are making. You believe that "evening" means the sun set beginning Abib 15. However, the Greek word "opsias" can mean late afternoon or nightfall depending on the context (See Strong's or Thayer's). In this case it was late afternoon on Friday, Abib 14. It was not only the preparation for the Sabbath, but the preparation for Passover as well because both days fell on Abib 14 that year.

Even if '~"opsias" can mean late afternoon or nightfall depending on the context~', the context still demands the division of the dated days of the 14th, 15th and 16th for respectively the Crucifixion and Death on the 14th, the Burial on the 15th, and the Resurrection on "the third day according to the Scriptures" 1Corinthians 15:3,4, the 16th.

However, the INCIDENCES of use of 'heh opsia' in its totality without exception in Greek literature in its entirety, rules out any other meaning than "the evening" or dusk after sunset.

Now I am more than anyone aware of each and every of the claimed exceptions to historic usage and rules of averages or exceptions or whatever: There are NO exceptions! All claimed exceptions you can check up, suddenly began to appear in lexicons and dictionaries and commentaries or whatever as glaring changes and or more recent 'improvements', but exceptions of INCIDENCES which nowhere ever in new or old, original and authentic compositions / documents / writings call it what you like will be found.
And you can check, the sudden appearances began to appear in no documents of learning before the 20th century, which fact tells its own, inadvertent story. So you can check the Strongs and Thayers new editions and compare them with the first ones nowadays buried in archives, and never any longer even looked at.

gadar perets

Jan 16, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Even if '~"opsias" can mean late afternoon or nightfall depending on the context~', the context still demands the division of the dated days of the 14th, 15th and 16th for respectively the Crucifixion and Death on the 14th, the Burial on the 15th, and the Resurrection on "the third day according to the Scriptures" 1Corinthians 15:3,4, the 16th.

However, the INCIDENCES of use of 'heh opsia' in its totality without exception in Greek literature in its entirety, rules out any other meaning than "the evening" or dusk after sunset.

Now I am more than anyone aware of each and every of the claimed exceptions to historic usage and rules of averages or exceptions or whatever: There are NO exceptions! All claimed exceptions you can check up, suddenly began to appear in lexicons and dictionaries and commentaries or whatever as glaring changes and or more recent 'improvements', but exceptions of INCIDENCES which nowhere ever in new or old, original and authentic compositions / documents / writings call it what you like will be found.
And you can check, the sudden appearances began to appear in no documents of learning before the 20th century, which fact tells its own, inadvertent story. So you can check the Strongs and Thayers new editions and compare them with the first ones nowadays buried in archives, and never any longer even looked at.
How do you explain John 20:19?

Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
This "evening" was late afternoon on the first of the week (Sunday). The second of the week (Monday) had not started yet.