Repeated dreams of my deceased grandmother's house

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay.

Normally I would ignore this but same theme keeps happening over and over and it has been multiple times now.

Backstory: I lost my grandmother and my exhusband in the same week. He stopped coming home to go elsewhere, I officially left after three days, and for other reasons, and then my grandmother passed away from pneumonia. This was in a span of a week less than 10 years ago.

Her home was my home and my safe space. It was probably my only real home growing up and she partly raised me. I was upset it didn't stay in the family so I guess that bothered me. It was the one place I could go if I needed to. Doesn't exist now.

The dreams:
Every once in a while I have the same theme to dream. I'm at her house. It is cold feeling, dark, cluttered, low saturation for color, and I'm angry that it isn't kept up. It is dark, depressing, isolated. I get the feeling something is wrong with her and she is there but always "off" or sick. But the home is not homey and it is very stale and uncomfortable.

Last night I had the same kind of dream but I was trying to plug in her lamp and I couldn't because the cord was half cut and replaced with a piece of long thin celery looking thing. So I was like "what is this!" and mad because people were not taking care of it.

And then tonight, in real life, my lamp stopped working because the cord was weird. (You know, like a charger that has to turn a certain way to work) but then it just stopped working.

Just curious what you guys think. What is going on in my brain that makes my late grandmother's house so weird? It wasn't like that when she was alive. It was eclectic and homey.

I feel like there must be some emotions behind this. I never really dealt with my grandmother's death because too much was going on, I couldn't cry, because everyone else was or fighting over "stuff" so I took a couple trivial items nobody else wanted like an ice cream spoon and a heating pad (no idea why, it was just not wanted- I wanted to "rescue" it and then I had to take care of the rest of my family.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that freaked me out because someone asked me my favorite movie YEARS ago and for some reason I said that, even though it hadn't been in years but I had no control over it. It just came out.

You are a different human being, Fluffy : )
Her home was my home and my safe space. It was probably my only real home growing up and she partly raised me. I was upset it didn't stay in the family so I guess that bothered me. It was the one place I could go if I needed to. Doesn't exist now.

The dreams:
Every once in a while I have the same theme to dream. I'm at her house. It is cold feeling, dark, cluttered, low saturation for color, and I'm angry that it isn't kept up. It is dark, depressing, isolated. I get the feeling something is wrong with her and she is there but always "off" or sick. But the home is not homey and it is very stale and uncomfortable.

Ok, I'm gonna make an attempt at this, because on the surface it seems pretty straight forward. In short, you miss when you felt like you had a real home and someone who cared for you. I get from reading a lot of your posts that it's like you feel like you are too much on your own, and almost like no one cares for you so you have to fend for yourself a lot, and this is being expressed in the dreams. I think the anger is from wanting to know why a "home" (and by extension someone that cares for you) isn't there for you anymore, i.e. why it has not been "kept up"...

Can I say this? I know you were prophesied over when you were younger, and I think what is happening is this: The Lord is using circumstances in your life to force you to make Him the One you lean on now to care for you...
Last night I had the same kind of dream but I was trying to plug in her lamp and I couldn't because the cord was half cut and replaced with a piece of long thin celery looking thing. So I was like "what is this!" and mad because people were not taking care of it.

I think the cord being cut represents that she passed away, and thus the connection between the two of you was lost. And in a way she was like the "light" of your life, so you wish you could get that back still. The chord replaced with celery is interesting... and possibly represents the meager lifestyle you have to lead now, which is also upsetting to you (I'm guessing here).
I feel like there must be some emotions behind this. I never really dealt with my grandmother's death because too much was going on, I couldn't cry, because everyone else was or fighting over "stuff" so I took a couple trivial items nobody else wanted like an ice cream spoon and a heating pad (no idea why, it was just not wanted- I wanted to "rescue" it and then I had to take care of the rest of my family.

Yep. Emotions are the primary thing involved. You cared for her, whereas others seemed to care more about the inheritance. So you just took a few things that were sentimental to you. It means you have a good heart.

That's my first try. Let me know if it witnesses to your spirit any.
- H

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I often hear that certain types of dreams have meanings or interpretations behind them. I remember many years ago when I attended a Catholic school (from 4th grade to 8th grade) I constantly had dreams that I could fly. Someone told me that means I was wanting to escape from something, which makes perfect sense because I hated attending that school! I was much better off once I went back to public school in 9th grade and once I left the Catholic school, having dreams that I could fly stopped almost immediately. These days I am constantly having dreams that I'm on vacation. :cool:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s actually a shared dream to dream about houses we live in or have lived in, except something is different. I believe you don’t have to figure the dream out. I think this shared dream happens when God is impressing something into us as we sleep. He instructs us in our sleep and I don’t think we need to tinker with or figure it out. God is walking through the rooms of our house. The house is us.

As just an interesting aside, one of these “house” dreams I had years ago, the bathroom was different. It was much, much larger than the actual bathroom in my house. There was a huge soaking tub and it had murky water in it. I reached down into the water to try to let the dirty water out and I felt what was clogging the drain and gave a yank and it was a bag of celery that had been clogging the drain. So I laughed when you described a celery looking thing.

God was unclogging something in me and He was working on fixing something in you that He wanted to address that will make you more suitable for Him. We all tend to see a house when God is walking around in us...

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s actually a shared dream to dream about houses we live in or have lived in, except something is different. I believe you don’t have to figure the dream out. I think this shared dream happens when God is impressing something into us as we sleep. He instructs us in our sleep and I don’t think we need to tinker with or figure it out. God is walking through the rooms of our house. The house is us.

As just an interesting aside, one of these “house” dreams I had years ago, the bathroom was different. It was much, much larger than the actual bathroom in my house. There was a huge soaking tub and it had murky water in it. I reached down into the water to try to let the dirty water out and I felt what was clogging the drain and gave a yank and it was a bag of celery that had been clogging the drain. So I laughed when you described a celery looking thing.

God was unclogging something in me and He was working on fixing something in you that He wanted to address that will make you more suitable for Him. We all tend to see a house when God is walking around in us...
I was wondering why celery. Lol I like this. Thank you :D why celery!!

But I'm still upset about the lamp, there's no way to fix that cord.:rolleyes: Now it's just unplugged and doing nothing.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay.

Normally I would ignore this but same theme keeps happening over and over and it has been multiple times now.

Backstory: I lost my grandmother and my exhusband in the same week. He stopped coming home to go elsewhere, I officially left after three days, and for other reasons, and then my grandmother passed away from pneumonia. This was in a span of a week less than 10 years ago.

The dreams:

And then tonight, in real life, my lamp stopped working because the cord was weird. (You know, like a charger that has to turn a certain way to work) but then it just stopped working.

Just curious what you guys think. What is going on in my brain that makes my late grandmother's house so weird? It wasn't like that when she was alive. It was eclectic and homey.

I'm not sure feelings matter (not being cold, but to understand the dream...) and could probably get in the way in a prophetic dream understanding. If a dream repeats then it may be a prophecy. See

Genesis 41:32 "And for that the dream was doubled unto Pharaoh twice; it is because the thing is established by God, and God will shortly bring it to pass."

I've been also having a repeat dream about my ex-wife and I'm not sure what it means or if it's in fact a prophecy. In fact I didn't realize it could be a prophecy until I reviewed this thread. Now I'm thinking about it. So what to do?

You should bring it to the Lord and ask him regarding the dream. This is my opinion. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mmm...don’t know if this might help you to know. When God is working on something like this and doing it while we sleep, it’s because the parts of us that would argue with Him can’t argue or try to “help.” It can feel in our waking hours that something weird is going on but we don’t know what and it can make us sort of...antsy? Emotional? Uneasy? There’s no reason we should feel this. Our Lord is walking around in His garden and there is no blessing greater than that He is seeing to it!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But I'm still upset about the lamp, there's no way to fix that cord.:rolleyes: Now it's just unplugged and doing nothing.

Trust Him. He knows how to fix the lamp.

I don’t know why celery but it’s amazing we both thought celery at whatever spiritual thing we were seeing...

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
now I feel like what I thought God would do for me he didn't, yet anyway, so I'm also bitter because I am stuck between "Okay, am I working on these things because I'm going to be alone forever or am I doing things so I can eventually be seen as good enough?"

Because if its the second that just makes the progress painful.

This feels about right. I thought I would be able to fully rely on a husband at some point but ended up thrown out in the cold in bad situations instead. So I guess that is where I am at.

I do feel failed.

Ok, but now this may actually be the lesson right here. The Lord may actually have a good man for you, but you may not be ready for another husband just yet because the Lord knows you would lean on him too heavily. Because of your past, you would be carrying a lot of baggage into the relationship, and I think maybe He knows this, so He is trying to get you to learn to depend on Him first and foremost, and become more whole first before you try entering into marriage again.

What do you think?

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What I remember about celery from somewhere is that it is primarily cellulose not really rich in anything good for or digestible by or people as it would be for animals like cattle that eat grass. It does not hurt us but for the most part passes right through leaving us as waste. People, myself included, do like celery especially with cut in halves and filled with peanut butter or other tasty additives, but there is little help for us from the celery itself.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, Devin! I feel like it is kind of figured out now. I explained on #4 in response to Hidden.

I have had dreams with a theme to it with a person but I get the impression they are just to "hold" me in a situation.

I don't know why I'm telling this story but I'll tell it-

When I was 22 or so, I had a dream where part of it was that I was by the railroad tracks and I met a guy there with a hat. I was HEAD OVER HEELS like in love with that dude. (I will shamefully say I tried multiple times to go back in my dreams just to be in that fantasy.)

Anyway somewhere along the line, we were talking and walking along the beach together and then he lets go of my hand and he said, "You can walk with me, but you'll have to walk alone for now." He walked straight up ditched me on the beach.

Rude. It took me years to just figure out that one sentence.

So I started writing a sort of dream journal and I named him John. Then I think I might have named him Luke later when I started changing the story. I'll have to look at it later. Im pretty sure I still have it.

That's been in my head for 11 years and I thought about the names being different parts of the gospel and tried to compare it to my walking away from my faith, but then I realized Christ never left me.

Sure. And if it keeps coming back then perhaps time to rethink it.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have had dreams with a theme to it with a person but I get the impression they are just to "hold" me in a situation.

Yes. I remember you saying something about that, and I think what I said in Post #12 above might be why. Maybe whoever your potential husband is might be needing some healing still as well, so that he is fully prepared to be in a better position to give and not need so much.

Again, this is just conjecture, so I'm not saying, "Thus saith the Lord" here. But from what I know about both you and your dreams, that all would seem to make sense.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

:)

Let me show you a trick. This is a little prophetic-oriented thing that I will do sometimes. I think it may not be an accident that the real life lamp went out - I think it could be a real life reflection and reminder of the dreams - and what I do in situations like this is a go about trying to fix the real life lamp in reflection of going about trying to fix what it symbolizes in my spiritual life.

Now, maybe the real life lamp isn't fixable. But that doesn't mean you can't believe God for a new and better lamp, just as maybe you can believe God for a new and better "light of your life." But that Light would be HIM ultimately, so maybe pray about finding a new lamp that will remind you always that the Lord loves you and will take care of you like no other.

After all, He is the Word of God made flesh, and scripture says that God's word is "a lamp unto our feet." So start praying the Lord sends you the best darn lamp you've ever had, LoL.

Just a little advice, similar to what I was telling you with the orange tree in my backyard. It's in the ground, btw. Lost a bunch of leaves with the replanting, but there's some very good soil it's in now, so I think the future is bright. :) Lord knows it's getting enough rain right now. Good Heavens!!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow FYD....

In those dreams where we walked beside each other, I never did see His face. Curious if you did...

He was making you walk in the darkness of trust and beginning to practice you in trust. It does feel like walking alone but that’s only how it feels. It’s narrow, it’s confining, it feels like abandonment, it feels like He’s being so cruel to you and if your temporal circumstances go downhill at the same time like mine did, it seems like He has stripped you of everything and will never allow you any good, any relief. You don’t know until later that He was stripping you to lift you up closer and if anyone tried to tell you that’s what He’s doing you wouldn’t believe them anyway until Later. If we only knew what good He was working, we would immediately submit to the stripping, but we don’t know so we think He’s being very harsh and cruel with us.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I worked harder he should pick up the slack and stop ripping me off LOL

I didn't just sit around a long time, I pulled an Eve with no Adam, lost my mind, literally had to learn how to fight demons according to scripture because I kept falling under attack.

You don't want to think about any of that, Lol.

You want to get your eyes focused on the Lord, on HIS provision for all you need, on HIS love for you even when no one else seems to, on HIS ability to make things right and bless your life at the proper time, and then just rest in that peace as He helps you to get stronger in all things spiritual.

Men are a mess, trust me, Lol. They need Jesus too. I am very thankful that God gave me this spiritual colossus of a woman to live with, because I honestly don't know who else could tolerate me. But she is strong, so strong that I have to remind myself not to take it for granted or take advantage of her.

But don't focus on anything along the line of "poor little old me." It may be true that you've been dealt a really tough hand, but it doesn't do you any favors to think on it. The way you get built up in hope and faith is by thinking on that which is of good report (Philippians 4:8). So set aside thinking on anything sorrowful or negative or worrisome or angry, and focus on thinking on the good things; you have friends, you have a community you can talk to, you have a brother who is surprisingly good at interpreting dreams (ok, had to throw that one in there, LoL), you have your youth still, and your looks, and you have twice the Likes as you do posts, which means a lot people in general tend to like you, and that's probably true in the real world as well (at least with those few you see).

Just think on positive stuff. This is how we walk in Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness.... you can't walk in those things if you think on the negatives, and you can't grow spiritually and get stronger either.

Ok, sermon over, Lol.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It ends and we have more space and room to breathe as soon as we insist that no matter what it feels like, we believe Him that He works all things to our good and we submit to the circumstances He has placed us in. We actually begin to say, okay, whatever Your will is, Lord.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow FYD....

In those dreams where we walked beside each other, I never did see His face. Curious if you did...

He was making you walk in the darkness of trust and beginning to practice you in trust. It does feel like walking alone but that’s only how it feels. It’s narrow, it’s confining, it feels like abandonment, it feels like He’s being so cruel to you and if your temporal circumstances go downhill at the same time like mine did, it seems like He has stripped you of everything and will never allow you any good, any relief. You don’t know until later that He was stripping you to lift you up closer and if anyone tried to tell you that’s what He’s doing you wouldn’t believe them anyway until Later. If we only knew what good He was working, we would immediately submit to the stripping, but we don’t know so we think He’s being very harsh and cruel with us.

I might have thought it was her future husband because of the words "For now you will have to walk alone," but you are right. :) He will do this sort of thing depending on where we are, because it trains us to develop a deeper dependence upon Him. And walking with the Lord is VERY common imagery. Makes more sense that it would be the Lord than a mere man.

Reactions: DuckieLady

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had a dream once with my deceased grandmother and she was crying and talking about an abortion. I had no idea what she was talking about. In waking life I found out that I had impregnated a girl during a one night stand. She didn't tell me and had an abortion. I believe that dream was absolutely from my deceased grandmother. She was very upset and crying about it. This confirms to me that God absolutely cares for the unborn.

I have no idea what your dreams mean but it is vert interesting to me that your lamp stopped working.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I might have thought it was her future husband because of the words "For now you will have to walk alone," but you are right. :) He will do this sort of thing depending on where we are, because it trains us to develop a deeper dependence upon Him. And walking with the Lord is VERY common imagery. Makes more sense that it would be the Lord than a mere man.
I’m confused as to her timeline but...I know He didn’t say to her she had to walk alone, though she might have felt like that’s what He was saying. It almost begins to look like the witchcraft thing was a fit of hurt and anger, like...she said, no, I don’t have to walk alone, I’ll find someone or something else since You just dropped me cold...it’s pretty amazing.

it’s like when we think back to the stupid things we did in childhood and say, it’s amazing I lived and didn’t kill myself...!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m confused as to her timeline but...I know He didn’t say to her she had to walk alone, though she might have felt like that’s what He was saying. It almost begins to look like the witchcraft thing was a fit of hurt and anger, like...she said, no, I don’t have to walk alone, I’ll find someone or something else since You just dropped me cold...it’s pretty amazing.
Its a LONG story. Lol

Reactions: stunnedbygrace