Request prayer for my stepson.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought he was home now :( I guess there were more complications and they kept him there?
Thanks, Nancy. He's been in the hospital 3 weeks now for a secondary infection. He just wants to come home. He says he really misses the dog. Chkl:

When his doctor said he needed to undergo a "debridement" procedure on the infected skin, I googled it and found this:

Biological debridement. This is sometimes called “ maggot therapy” or “larval therapy.” Doctors can apply larvae of certain insect types to a wound. The larvae consume only dead tissue and leave viable tissue intact. The treatment is effective, but the psychological aversion to it may make it less desirable than other methods.

Source: https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/what-is-debridement
Ahh, the wonders of 21st century medicine. Do they still do leech therapy too? But no, they didn't do a biological debridement; they just did a standard surgical procedure.;)

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, Nancy. He's been in the hospital 3 weeks now for a secondary infection. He just wants to come home. He says he really misses the dog. Chkl:

When his doctor said he needed to undergo a "debridement" procedure on the infected skin, I googled it and found this:

Ahh, the wonders of 21st century medicine. Do they still do leech therapy too? But no, they just did a standard surgical procedure.
Oh man, poor kid. Debridement is very painful :( I do so hope he will get to come home soon! Have you read that little booklet and, if so...what did you think? I know it's a simple little booklet but, it just reminded me of Rob.
Hugs!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh man, poor kid. Debridement is very painful :( I do so hope he will get to come home soon! Have you read that little booklet and, if so...what did you think? I know it's a simple little booklet but, it just reminded me of Rob.
Hugs!
The book was supposed to arrive Thursday, but according to Amazon, the package was last seen Friday somewhere in Pennsylvania. hmmx1:

I had also ordered a portable wheelchair ramp, a decision that turned out to be prescient because his case manager called last week and said he'll be coming home in one. They've got home physical therapy scheduled, so hopefully the wheelchair will only be temporary. :pray:

Next week, the Sweet Lady and I go in to be trained to administer antibiotics intravenously at home through a PICC line. That should be fun. :hmhehm

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book was supposed to arrive Thursday, but according to Amazon, the package was last seen Friday somewhere in Pennsylvania. hmmx1:

I had also ordered a portable wheelchair ramp, a decision that turned out to be prescient because his case manager called last week and said he'll be coming home in one. They've got home physical therapy scheduled, so hopefully the wheelchair will only be temporary. :pray:

Next week, the Sweet Lady and I go in to be trained to administer antibiotics intravenously at home through a PICC line. That should be fun. :hmhehm
Oh please, "somewhere in P.A." Pshaw! Oh well, it will hopefully be there soon.

This is the first time he will be needing a wheelchair? Good discernment brother!
The PICC line will be easy, don't worry about that.

:pray::pray::pray::pray:

Reactions: Lambano

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My younger stepson was having trouble forming sentences. Fearing a stroke or TIA, we called 911. Now it's looking more like brain cancer. I learned a new term: "Glioblastoma". It's as nasty as the name sounds. Your prayers would be appreciated.
Sorry to hear this….I have a friend who has a two year old with this awful thing……so sad.
I guess we have to ask why these cancers take so many lives especially the young ones who haven’t really lived yet. There is a common denominator in all of them….our consumption of sugar…..apparently it feeds cancers like nothing else….and the western world is addicted to it. There should be warning labels on everything we eat on how much sugar it contains.

I hope he will receive the right treatment……

Reactions: TheHC and Lambano

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Brother, I'm so sorry. I don't know HOW in the world I missed this. My son had glioblastoma. I am praying!! :praying: :praying::praying:

Have you looked into the ketogenic or carnivore diets? We had my son on keto and several supplements and they did help. He chose not to do chemo after the first round and I believe that contributed to his being a lot less prone to getting sick. Carbs/sugars do feed cancer.

Anyway, I am praying.:praying:❤️

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Found this tonight on a fluke--I wasn't looking for it--it popped up on my phone from a a local ABC affiliate--may be a God send

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Found this tonight on a fluke--I wasn't looking for it--it popped up on my phone from a a local ABC affiliate--may be a God send

Thank you, Cassandra. We meet with his oncologist the week after next. I may want to bring this to her attention.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a common denominator in all of them….our consumption of sugar…..apparently it feeds cancers like nothing else

Brother, I'm so sorry. I don't know HOW in the world I missed this. My son had glioblastoma. I am praying!! :praying: :praying::praying:

Have you looked into the ketogenic or carnivore diets? We had my son on keto and several supplements and they did help. He chose not to do chemo after the first round and I believe that contributed to his being a lot less prone to getting sick. Carbs/sugars do feed cancer.

Anyway, I am praying.:praying:❤️
Thanks, T. I'm so sorry about your son.

My wife heard the same thing about sugars when she had breast cancer. We'll have to keep him off the sweet stuff when he gets home. Funny thing, though: Even before this hospital stay, his glucose levels were down at the low end of normal.

Last edited:

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am so very sorry Lambano as I missed your post for your stepson xxxx
I had no idea how long he has been unwell xxxxx

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Praying for your stepson and your family.xx

Is he able to get outside the hospital?

I was just thinking as he misses his beloved pet, you could take his dog to the hospital, they can be reunited at the entrance of the hospital ?....maybe they could wheel him down in a wheelchair, if you explain the situation to those in charge...just a thought,xx

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My son is just heading to the hospital for his next IV -He still has a temp and tried to eat something but it just made him feel sick. His leg has gone down in one area, but increased in another. Will know more after blood culture tests come back today and also they will do other blood tests as well.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am so very sorry Lambano as I missed your post for your stepson xxxx
I had no idea how long he has been unwell xxxxx
Please don’t worry about that @Lambano - Your step son sounds in a much more difficult place than mine is, how awful. Will they be able to save his leg after all this time of infection ?
To have cancer and deal with this - I am so sorry xxxxx
Prayer threads should never be exclusive xxxxxxxx
How old is your step son, can we know his name so we can lift him, and the family, in prayer xxxx
Thank you, Rita, and I apologize profusely for diverting attention away from your son's difficulties. Not that God can't handle prayers for both, but that was terribly selfish of me.

The cancer was discovered on Robert's forty-eighth birthday. This latest complication started back in December as an allergic reaction to a new chemo drug. A legion of evil microbes apparently saw the skin rash as an opportunity to invade an already weakened body, and it's taken multiple antibiotics (one of which had its own nasty side-effect) to knock it out. (Your description of Mark's symptoms sounded dreadfully familiar.) We hadn't thought of possibility of losing a foot or a leg (and I'm glad we didn't think of it), but he did have to have a skin graft over one of the ulcers on his feet. The swelling in his legs and feet has completely subsided for the first time in months (thank you, Lord), but he is terribly weak and is having to learn to walk again. He is also in a dark, dark place spiritually, which I hope and pray Mark is NOT experiencing.

• Wow
Reactions: Debp and Nancy

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My son is just heading to the hospital for his next IV -He still has a temp and tried to eat something but it just made him feel sick. His leg has gone down in one area, but increased in another. Will know more after blood culture tests come back today and also they will do other blood tests as well.
Is it confined to his leg, or has the swelling gone to the foot also?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, Rita, and I apologize profusely for diverting attention away from your son's difficulties. Not that God can't handle prayers for both, but that was terribly selfish of me.

The cancer was discovered on Robert's forty-eighth birthday. This latest complication started back in December as an allergic reaction to a new chemo drug. A legion of evil microbes apparently saw the skin rash as an opportunity to invade an already weakened body, and it's taken multiple antibiotics (one of which had its own nasty side-effect) to knock it out. (Your description of Mark's symptoms sounded dreadfully familiar.) We hadn't thought of possibility of losing a foot or a leg (and I'm glad we didn't think of it), but he did have to have a skin graft over one of the ulcers on his feet. The swelling in his legs and feet has completely subsided for the first time in months (thank you, Lord), but he is terribly weak and is having to learn to walk again. He is also in a dark, dark place spiritually, which I hope and pray Mark is NOT experiencing.
Bless his heart, praying to the Lord that he regains his strength, that he will come through this dark place spiritually....it’s a horrible place to be, I was in that place ,when I was bed ridden for 3 yrs, with post viral fatigue syndrome......very much in our thoughts and prayers Robert......xx

Reactions: Debp and TLHKAJ

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praying for your stepson and your family.xx

Is he able to get outside the hospital?

I was just thinking as he misses his beloved pet, you could take his dog to the hospital, they can be reunited at the entrance of the hospital ?....maybe they could wheel him down in a wheelchair, if you explain the situation to those in charge...just a thought,xx
And an excellent thought it is. Last week we were able to take advantage of some superb early spring weather and wheel him around the hospital grounds. On one such trip, we ran into a man walking his basset hound who allowed Robert to pet his dog. That made Rob light up.

The hospital staff had okayed these forays into the great outdoors. Unfortunately, the regular staff was not on duty on the weekend, and a "Regulation Charlie" type noted that patients with Infectious Diseases (as he is classified) are under No Contact orders and may not leave the floor without staff supervision. The weather has since turned a bit too cold for a patient wearing nothing but a hospital gown. He's scheduled to come home Friday, so he'll have his reunion with the Sneaky Labrador then. When he's back walking again, we'll have to keep the cats (OJ and Lardbutt) away from him as cats seem to have an innate desire to get underfoot and be a natural trip hazard.