Research on New Media and Churches

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lywbeverly

Sep 25, 2008
Hi!I am a PhD student from Nanyang Technological University School of Communication and Information (Singapore), and am doing a paper on how media convergence has established a new sphere for religious participation for churches, and the future potential of using new media as a new sphere for religious communication.I hope that you could help me by answering a few essential questions that will be very useful for the research.These are the questions:1. In your knowledge, what are the different media platforms that your church has used to spread teachings, deliver viewing of rituals or services, or conduct prayers/learning sessions? (Examples of media platforms are mobile device, cable TV, satellite TV, IPTV, and the Internet).2. Does your church provide live video/audio streaming of religious activities or engage interactive media to engage member’s participation? Please elaborate.3. What do you think of the idea of conducting service, rituals and blessings over the Internet through different media?4. What do you think of the idea of having religious participation facilitated by media (Examples are online participation of rituals or attending a service by viewing a TV screen)?5. Have you ever viewed any live webcast/broadcast of rituals? If so, do you consider yourself as an observer or participant of the rituals? And, why?6. Do the senses of taste, smell, touch and feelings of the environment play an important role in the practice of the religion? And, why?7. Do you think it is possible to perceive energy such as blessing and healing power via media platforms (An example is receiving healing power from them by putting a hand on a TV screen)? Have you experienced that before? Please elaborate.8. Do you think it is possible for followers to perceive the "charisma" of religious leaders via media platforms? Have you experienced that before? Please elaborate.9. In your opinion, what are the strengths/limitations of using media as a sacred/holy space for religious participation?Name (Optional):Age (Optional):Gender (Optional):Country:Name of church (Optional):Role/Position in the church:You can post your answers here, or email the answers to my email at [email protected] . Thank you for your kind assistance!Warmest Regards,Beverly Low