Resurrection

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does it matter how we are buried? Are we raised? Body? Spirit? Wnere do we go? Judgment?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Hey Aspen, nice topic!
I would say I don't think it matters at all how we are buried. In the history of mankind I would say that those who are saved have died, been buried or lost in every manner possible. And that when it comes down to it, God can and will call those souls to Him.
I believe the Bible teaches that when we die we are with Jesus immediately, but until the resurrection it will be in spirit form. Paul goes into the resurrection in 1 Corinthians 15:12-58. He is clearly talking of the time when Christ returns to this world and human history comes to a close.

So, if we receive our new, perfect body at this time, how do we spend our time with Christ after our death?

2 Corinthians 5:4 talks of, I believe, this very thing. It says "in order to not be found naked or unclothed", which likely refers to the intermediate state in which believers’ spirits are with God but they do not yet enjoy their resurrected bodies.

So, I believe that when we die we are with God (who is Himself Spirit!) as souls or spirits. And then, when it is time for Jesus' second coming, we are all given new resurrection bodies!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tend to believe that it is important to be buried in one marked place. Nosure if that is just superstitioos or not.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think it matters how or where we are buried. Well, not always. Clearly it mattered in Jesus' case as well as in Elisha's case (remember his dead bones raised gave life to a soldier who died when he landed on them.... If you need a Bible reference for that, let me know....). Also, one of the Patriarch's (Joseph, maybe???) wanted his bones carried out of Egypt. However, for Enoch and Elijah it didn't matter.

Many saints who were victims of the Roman Empire as well as the Holy Roman Empire (not picking on Catholics, here), and even the reformation didn't receive a proper burial, and were burned at the stake. They were reduced to ashes.

My belief is that funerals aren't for the dead, but for the living. I know that sounds cold hearted, but if you really believe that when they die that their with Christ, I figure they really don't care. They are probably focusing more on that Joy of being with Christ, then the funeral. They are for us to remember them as people and spiritual warriors, and to give thanks. Perhaps they are in heaven and appreciating us giving thanks... But that would be the extent of it.

Nonetheless, Aspen said that it's important to be buried in a marked place. If I were in charge of Aspen's funeral (and by no means am I wishing that comes soon), I'd honor that request to the best of my ability.

So does anyone here believe in Ghosts? It seems that superstition says that ghosts of past people haunt because they were done wrong in their death, they have unfinished business, or that they are missing something that they can't move on without. Personally, I think that if there are ghosts (and I believe in them) that they are damned spirits. But I'm on the fence with that. I plead ignorance to it as I don't know all there is to know. But I believe in ghosts because Saul (not Paul) concured up Samuel, and Peter saw Moses and Elijah talking to Jesus, so much as he wanted to build alters to them.

Just some thoughts.... I am open to persuasion on this subject.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think it matters how or where we are buried. Well, not always. Clearly it mattered in Jesus' case as well as in Elisha's case (remember his dead bones raised gave life to a soldier who died when he landed on them.... If you need a Bible reference for that, let me know....). Also, one of the Patriarch's (Joseph, maybe???) wanted his bones carried out of Egypt. However, for Enoch and Elijah it didn't matter.

Many saints who were victims of the Roman Empire as well as the Holy Roman Empire (not picking on Catholics, here), and even the reformation didn't receive a proper burial, and were burned at the stake. They were reduced to ashes.

My belief is that funerals aren't for the dead, but for the living. I know that sounds cold hearted, but if you really believe that when they die that their with Christ, I figure they really don't care. They are probably focusing more on that Joy of being with Christ, then the funeral. They are for us to remember them as people and spiritual warriors, and to give thanks. Perhaps they are in heaven and appreciating us giving thanks... But that would be the extent of it.

Nonetheless, Aspen said that it's important to be buried in a marked place. If I were in charge of Aspen's funeral (and by no means am I wishing that comes soon), I'd honor that request to the best of my ability.

So does anyone here believe in Ghosts? It seems that superstition says that ghosts of past people haunt because they were done wrong in their death, they have unfinished business, or that they are missing something that they can't move on without. Personally, I think that if there are ghosts (and I believe in them) that they are damned spirits. But I'm on the fence with that. I plead ignorance to it as I don't know all there is to know. But I believe in ghosts because Saul (not Paul) concured up Samuel, and Peter saw Moses and Elijah talking to Jesus, so much as he wanted to build alters to them.

Just some thoughts.... I am open to persuasion on this subject.

Thanks for your thoughts - i liked what you said about funerals being for the living. I not sure why i get hung up burial stuff.....i know it really doesnt matter in the big picture, but then - it does matter to me.

Thanks Rach and FHII for your posts....your thoughts on this subject are comforting.

On another note - i think church abuses regarding this topic are horrible......i would have been frighten if i lived in the past and was sentenced to be buried in unconsicrated ground.....

I agree with you about ghosts.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Some men who have died in the worst of places will have the most glorious of resurrections! It is not where we die, but how we die! :)

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
it doesnt matter to me how im buried... but if i was to bury my child i think i would want a marked grave too

My belief is that the resurrection will be a returning to life in the flesh. I know some are resurrected to heavenly life, but i dont think everyone is. Jesus told the criminal who died beside him that he would be in paradise... so was jesus telling him that he would be resurrected to live in heaven with Christ as a king and priest to God? I dont think so. 'paradiso' is a word which means 'garden' or 'park'...that is an earthly place.
I think Jesus was telling him that the man would be resurrected at a future time in the coming paradise on earth
Matthew 5:5 “Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth

and there is mention of a 'first' resurrection...if there is a first resurrection, then there must be another resurrection afterward and as this scripture shows, there are two different resurrections
Revelation 20:And they came to life and ruled as kings with the Christ for a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Happy and holy is anyone having part in the first resurrection

and the fact is that Jesus said that good and bad people would be 'resurrected'... so why would bad people be resurrected to heaven if heaven is only for good people?
Acts 24:15 and I have hope toward God, which hope these [men] themselves also entertain, that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous

John 5:28 Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life (the first resurreciton?), those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment (the 2nd resurrection?)

it stands to reason that these unrighteous ones will not be resurrected to heavenly life because the ones who recieve heavenly life are described as 'the ones that keep following the Lamb no matter where he goes. These were bought from among mankind as firstfruits to God and to the Lamb, 5 and no falsehood was found in their mouths; they are without blemish" at Revelation 14:4-5

Anyway, in the resurrection it wont matter where you are buried because God will recreate you with a new body and it will be as if you never died at all.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Does it matter how we are buried? Are we raised? Body? Spirit? Wnere do we go? Judgment?

What matters is what the Bible says. Judgment? It all depends on who you are talking about and what one mean my judgment. Judgment does not always mean to be condemned and the Bible says that judgment has began with the house of God......we are being judged now, not when Jesus returns.

Does it matter how we are buried? Are we raised? Body? Spirit?

We will have a body.....we will not be spirit.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I think where and how we are buried is more for those who remain than for the person who has passed.

If I die before Christ returns they can do whatever whatever they wish with my body. I am already signed up to be an organ donor.

My friend says that since he is going to be with Christ when he dies, they can bury him with his butt sticking out so people can use it as a bicycle rack for all he cares.

I don't think our new forms in Christ will be affected in any way, shape, form, or style by how we die or what happens to our earthly bodies.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
I saw the title and thought someone was going to try telling us that Christ did not raise from the dead also, just like they tried to say He was not God and man.

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
The Judgment of the Dead

Revelation 20

[sup]11[/sup] Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. [sup]12[/sup] And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. [sup]13[/sup] The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. [sup]14[/sup] Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. [sup]15[/sup] Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

I think this scripture answers that question. I wouldn't imagine bones being anything but completely eroded in the ocean.

I admit that the idea of cremation use to scare the heck out of me. I had this idea of ending up like Humpty Dumpty, lol. Now I just think back to what Adam came from and stop pitting my finite mind against God's omnipotence.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
The Judgment of the Dead

Revelation 20

[sup]11[/sup] Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. [sup]12[/sup] And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. [sup]13[/sup] The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. [sup]14[/sup] Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. [sup]15[/sup] Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

I think this scripture answers that question. I wouldn't imagine bones being anything but completely eroded in the ocean.

I admit that the idea of cremation use to scare the heck out of me. I had this idea of ending up like Humpty Dumpty, lol. Now I just think back to what Adam came from and stop pitting my finite mind against God's omnipotence.

Human beings are not just body, we have a spirit. And the body without the spirit is a dead body. The spirit goes back to God at death, saint and unbeliever alike.

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
Human beings are not just body, we have a spirit. And the body without the spirit is a dead body. The spirit goes back to God at death, saint and unbeliever alike.

I know, I was just adding to the point that whether our body is intact or not, God can and will call our bodies back to us for judgement.

I don't believe unbelievers are spiritually with God at death though. I will leave it at that to avoid hijacking the thread.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I tend to believe that it is important to be buried in one marked place. Nosure if that is just superstitioos or not.

I didn't read all the posts on this..........

If I understand correctly, the Jews also believe that the body should be burried whole in one place. I'm not sure why though. So, your idea isn't that uncommon.

A preacher once explained that he believed the body should be burried. His idea came from ancient times where cremation was used for the "lower class" of society. Because we're Christians we're part of the highest kingdom and therefore worthy of a "prince" type burrial. In some way, I guess he believed it was honorable to burry someone and disrespectful to the person to cremate them.

I personally don't care what happens to my flesh after I die. Well, to an extent. I want to be cremated because it's cheap. I don't believe in spending lots of money disposing of waste, which is what my body will be when I die. On top of it, if my wife honors my whishes, she's going to just dump my ashes on the curb outside the memorial and toss the box in the trash. I hope she does this, because it would be hilarious!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
I didn't read all the posts on this..........

If I understand correctly, the Jews also believe that the body should be burried whole in one place. I'm not sure why though. So, your idea isn't that uncommon.

A preacher once explained that he believed the body should be burried. His idea came from ancient times where cremation was used for the "lower class" of society. Because we're Christians we're part of the highest kingdom and therefore worthy of a "prince" type burrial. In some way, I guess he believed it was honorable to burry someone and disrespectful to the person to cremate them.

I personally don't care what happens to my flesh after I die. Well, to an extent. I want to be cremated because it's cheap. I don't believe in spending lots of money disposing of waste, which is what my body will be when I die. On top of it, if my wife honors my whishes, she's going to just dump my ashes on the curb outside the memorial and toss the box in the trash. I hope she does this, because it would be hilarious!

The body is considered important because it is the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. In other words, our bodies is the temple of God. Thus, when the body dies it is still treated with respect. Also, as you know, Jesus rose from the dead - body and spirit. The Jews and most Christians bury the body whole because on the last day, our bodies will also resurrect and be reunited with our spirits. We would have a glorified body like Christ.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
I know, I was just adding to the point that whether our body is intact or not, God can and will call our bodies back to us for judgement.

I don't believe unbelievers are spiritually with God at death though. I will leave it at that to avoid hijacking the thread.

The Bible does not make any distinction between a believer and an unbeliever when they die. As well as the fact the conversation between the rich man and Abraham.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 (BBE)
[sup]7 [/sup]And the dust goes back to the earth as it was, and the spirit goes back to God who gave it.

Luke 16:19-31 (ASV)
[sup]19 [/sup]Now there was a certain rich man, and he was clothed in purple and fine linen, faring sumptuously every day:
[sup]20 [/sup]and a certain beggar named Lazarus was laid at his gate, full of sores,
[sup]21 [/sup]and desiring to be fed with the crumbs that fell from the rich man's table; yea, even the dogs come and licked his sores.
[sup]22 [/sup]And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and that he was carried away by the angels into Abraham's bosom: and the rich man also died, and was buried.
[sup]23 [/sup]And in Hades he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
[sup]24 [/sup]And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am in anguish in this flame.
[sup]25 [/sup]But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and Lazarus in like manner evil things: but now here he is comforted and thou art in anguish.
[sup]26 [/sup]And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, that they that would pass from hence to you may not be able, and that none may cross over from thence to us.
[sup]27 [/sup]And he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house;
[sup]28 [/sup]for I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.
[sup]29 [/sup]But Abraham saith, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.
[sup]30 [/sup]And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one go to them from the dead, they will repent.
[sup]31 [/sup]And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, if one rise from the dead.

Notice that the rich man and Abraham are speaking to each other in the place of the dead......the disembodied sprits of human beings speak to each other......they are all with God. The only thing is that there is a gulf or separation, separating the righteous from the unrighteous. This is why Jesus said that the gates of hell or the grave cannot prevail against His Church. Because even in the place of the dead, His Church is there.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Since mass and energy are conserved in this universe it stands to reason that even if I am vaporized by an Iranian nuclear strike God can find every single part of me and put me back together if need be.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Since mass and energy are conserved in this universe it stands to reason that even if I am vaporized by an Iranian nuclear strike God can find every single part of me and put me back together if need be.

The new body will not be the same old body. The new body will be a spiritual body. Notice that I did not say spirit body.....there is no such thing as spirit body. A spiritual body is not subjected to the laws of physics.....it defies the natural laws.