Revival is not intellectual.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 12:1-2 KJV
1) I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2) And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revival is not intellectual.
I personally have found that superior intellectual minds tend to generally reject God. Well I say "superior intellectual minds" because they have superior in intellect regarding worldly matters. They may have higher IQ points but how smart are you if you reject God?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where I come from, the title, "Jerks for Jesus," was common! Lol
The sad thing is . . . even in the midst of those who are just calling names, still some have a real mental illness, and can become irrational, and out of control.

Out of control behavior is something that alerts me to someone.

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." Psalm 14:1

As best as I've been able to work out, when the Bible calls someone a fool, this is to describe someone who denies the existence or nature of God to their own hurt.

They are a fool saying there is no God, because the God they deny would save them if they would be saved.

Much love!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To me, saying that there is a God, though there isn't any manifestation of Him; or if there is any, it is weak and foolish; is just silly!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's very telling when you use the same bad behavior with others, in the same circumstance.

WHAT??????

You are making an end run around emotions. Passions, as if this isn't feelings.

Revival invokes passsions, what does that even mean?

If we were to use Scriptural language, and speak of Scriptural topics, then it could be easier to communicate about Scriptural things.

Maybe your "rationality" suppresses your "passions" but I don't really have an indication you know what these described based on what you are saying here, separating "passions" from your emotions? And from your volition?

Isn't what you are really describing is something that you choose that you feel strongly about?

Or are you thinking here the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you find yourself suddenly thinking and feeling differently? That can happen too, I don't put anything past God, I already know He doesn't just work one way.

But as a general way of working with is, I think it's more by the renewing of the mind over the process of time.

We can look for those sudden changes, but I suggest continuing with the day to day choosing and trusting.

Much love!

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? (Jeremiah 17:9)
Heart=Passions of man, Good or evil, of the spirit (small "s")
Mind= Emotions of man, good or evil, of the flesh
We believe not with the mind but with the heart.
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. (Romans 10:9)

Heart of stone to a heart of flesh.... circumcised heart... Contrite heart...etc.

If you do not understand the difference between the mind and the heart, do a study of the use of the word in scripture here is the link for the strong's G2588...
G2588 - kardia - Strong's Greek Lexicon (kjv) (blueletterbible.org)

Renewing of the mind is only a first step in the journey.

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (Psalm 51:10) This is where revival starts.

For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones. (Isaiah 57:15)

Renewing of the mind only takes you so far, Revival is the renewing of the heart.

The thing is, a wise man considers himself. And when you get triggered a certain way repeatedly, it's something to pay attention to.

Again What are you talking about??? Who's triggered?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heart=Passions of man, Good or evil, of the spirit (small "s")
Mind= Emotions of man, good or evil, of the flesh
The heart is passions and the mind is emotions?

Look. If you want to talk about the Bible, let me know.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Renewing of the mind only takes you so far, Revival is the renewing of the heart.

Romans 12:1-2 KJV
1) I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2) And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I said was, when you show the same bad behavior to others, it is very revealing. We need to be self-aware.
Posting a video is Bad behavior?

Look. If you want to talk about the Bible, let me know.

Christianity is all about the heart the scripture on this is too numerous to list hence the link provided.
This goes back to the Old testament too.
KJV Search Results for "heart" (blueletterbible.org)

Op= "Revival is not intellectual" point being revival is of the heart.

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. ( Ezekiel 36:26)

Has your heart been renewed?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? (Jeremiah 17:9)

Ephesians 4:22-24 KJV
22) That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23) And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

2 Corinthians 5:17-18 KJV
17) Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18) And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

We are made new. We can choose to walk in the deceiptful lusts of our flesh, or we can put on the new man, being renewed in the spirit of our minds.

We believe not with the mind but with the heart.
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. (Romans 10:9)

Matthew 12:33-37 KJV
33) Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
34) O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
35) A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.
36) But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
37) For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

This is not merely speaking of feelings.

The heart is considered the core of our being and not the seat of our emotions. Saying that we believe in our heart is not to say we have an emotional experience. It's anything but an emotional experience. If it's only emotion, it's not going to last, see the parable of the sower. Emotions generally follow decisions, but then again that depends on the individual person's affect. Not everyone is the same.

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (Psalm 51:10) This is where revival starts.

2 Corinthians 5:17-18 KJV
17) Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18) And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

Ephesians 2:4-6 KJV
4) But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5) Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)
6) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. ( Ezekiel 36:26)

Has your heart been renewed?
You're asking me if I've been reborn?

Hm.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not merely speaking of feelings.

The heart is considered the core of our being and not the seat of our emotions.

My point exactly, This not just the mind, but the inner self. Renewing of the mind is one thing in the believer, renewing of the heart another thing altogether. Renewing of the mind places emotions into check, Renewing of the heart brings our passion into check.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This not just the mind, but the inner self. Renewing of the mind is one thing in the believer, renewing of the heart another thing altogether.
First you say not just the mind, then you say it's another thing altogether.

If you stay with Scriptural terminology and concepts, much confusion can be avoided I think.

Much love!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not a Scriptural term or question.

Anyway, stay on your side of the fence with disparaging questions.

First you say not just the mind, then you say it's another thing altogether.

If you stay with Scriptural terminology and concepts, much confusion can be avoided I think.

I Think we have hit the nail on the head of where you and i differ.
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. (Matthew 22:37)

Renewing of the heart is when the believer begins to walk in the Spirit...

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
(Romans 8:1-18)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I Think we have hit the nail on the head of where you and i differ.
That's not it.

You assert that we, as Christians, as well as the church, lack what we need for real godly living, as we await a second spiritual baptism, while I assert we are already fully baptized into Christ, and can fully participate in His life by trusting He has already given us all we need to do so.

Much love!

Last edited: