Rewire Your Heart Day#7

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rewire Your Heart: 10 Days To Fight Sin • Devotional
https://bible.com/reading-plans/12779/day/7?segment=0

Fighting Sin With Delight
Written By:David Bowden

Scripture:

Delight thyself also in the LORD ; And he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Psalm 37:4 KJV

Devotion:
When times get really hard it becomes so much easier to sin. Psalm 37 is all about how to persevere during a really hard time.

The Psalmist, David, writes that wicked people are doing terrible things. How should David and the people respond? David says we should respond with stillness, patience, and faith.

But how is that even possible? How can we just sit there and take it? How can we be still when everything is swirling around us? How can we be patient when everything is going wrong? How can we have faith when all hope seems to be lost?

There is a lot of good advice in this Psalm to answer these questions. But one of the most beautiful, helpful, and famous is found in Psalm 37:4.

“Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”

This verse is so helpful for two main reasons.

First, perseverance and fighting sin don’t have to be a sad affair. We are called to find delight! But where are we to find this delight in such bleak circumstances? We can’t find them in our surroundings. We can’t find them just by looking on the bright side. No.

We find delight in the LORD. We delight ourselves in God. For us as Christians, the best way to do this is by repeating the good news of the Gospel to yourself. Jesus has saved you from sin and death. He has taken your punishment. You have been reconciled to the Father. You’ve been made a temple of the living God. Delight yourself in all God has done for you.

The second reason this verse is so helpful is because we get something. Not only do we not have to be sad, but we also get to receive something good. We get the desires of our hearts.

What are these desires in our hearts that we will be given in times of trouble? Well, it is the very thing we have been delighting in. We will get God!

No matter the circumstance and no matter the sin, if you delight yourself in the God of the Gospel you will get the God of the Gospel. Revel in Jesus and Jesus will reveal himself to you.

That is how you fight sin in difficult times. Engage your heart in the fight. Delight yourself in God.

First Thought: Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”

Yes... Seems so simple. I have failed time and time again, but seems like it is clicking now. I pray to remember this next low moment in life. I have so much peace now in my mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this concept of delighting myself in God in fighting sin, has.been the most helpful in adding to my fight. Fighting with verses of praise and thankfulness really does reshift my thoughts from circumstances to Christ.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower
What we need to do, I believe, is to make what we desire equal to what God desires. That is what Jesus is telling us when teaching his disciples to pray here:

"...Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven." Matt 6:10

The "earth" is you and me, each of us our own earth. The "world" is you and me, each of us our own world.

When we were completely in the world of flesh without God we pursued our desires according to our own will. When we have actually come to God a major part of the growing process, I believe, is replacing our desires with God's desires. So then we see how this can be:

"Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”

If the desires of our hearts are equal to God's desires!

Here we see in essence the basis for our carnal desires:

"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." II John 2:16

Already John has given us direction on this:

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him." I John 2:15

And he tells us the end result for each person:

"And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof:..." [this world of our flesh will pass away, this world of flesh of ours with its attractions leading to sin]

"...but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever." I John 2:17

If we don't fulfill that last thing of doing His will, then when the world of our flesh and its ways passes away, there will be what left? Nothing Good, which ultimately means nothing at all. Remember that Jesus also said, "there is none good but one, God"!

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@amadeus it may take you a little bit to figure out those three word games, but you are excellent in the wisdom area. :) (And you got it down now in the game). Thanks for the input. I never thought of "earth" and "world" like that before.

Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rewire Your Heart: 10 Days To Fight Sin • Devotional
https://bible.com/reading-plans/12779/day/7?segment=0

Fighting Sin With Delight
Written By:David Bowden

Scripture:

Delight thyself also in the LORD ; And he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
Psalm 37:4 KJV

Devotion:
When times get really hard it becomes so much easier to sin. Psalm 37 is all about how to persevere during a really hard time.

The Psalmist, David, writes that wicked people are doing terrible things. How should David and the people respond? David says we should respond with stillness, patience, and faith.

But how is that even possible? How can we just sit there and take it? How can we be still when everything is swirling around us? How can we be patient when everything is going wrong? How can we have faith when all hope seems to be lost?

There is a lot of good advice in this Psalm to answer these questions. But one of the most beautiful, helpful, and famous is found in Psalm 37:4.

“Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”

This verse is so helpful for two main reasons.

First, perseverance and fighting sin don’t have to be a sad affair. We are called to find delight! But where are we to find this delight in such bleak circumstances? We can’t find them in our surroundings. We can’t find them just by looking on the bright side. No.

We find delight in the LORD. We delight ourselves in God. For us as Christians, the best way to do this is by repeating the good news of the Gospel to yourself. Jesus has saved you from sin and death. He has taken your punishment. You have been reconciled to the Father. You’ve been made a temple of the living God. Delight yourself in all God has done for you.

The second reason this verse is so helpful is because we get something. Not only do we not have to be sad, but we also get to receive something good. We get the desires of our hearts.

What are these desires in our hearts that we will be given in times of trouble? Well, it is the very thing we have been delighting in. We will get God!

No matter the circumstance and no matter the sin, if you delight yourself in the God of the Gospel you will get the God of the Gospel. Revel in Jesus and Jesus will reveal himself to you.

That is how you fight sin in difficult times. Engage your heart in the fight. Delight yourself in God.

First Thought: Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.”

Yes... Seems so simple. I have failed time and time again, but seems like it is clicking now. I pray to remember this next low moment in life. I have so much peace now in my mind.

I really like this one. :) Scripture says to hate sin, but this may be even important right here: Delighting oneself in the Lord. You can't just throw something out of your life and leave an empty space. It has to be filled with something. And I've heard it said by some ministers that the best answer for sin is ministry, in that it keeps you busy in Christ. I suppose that could backfire as well, but the principle is sound. You have to delight yourself in something else, so the teaching makes sense.

It also seems to make accurate use of the scripture in doing so. A fuller reading of the Psalm 37 reads as follows:

1 Do not fret because of evildoers,
Nor be envious of the workers of iniquity.
2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass,
And wither as the green herb.

3 Trust in the Lord, and do good;
Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.
4 Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

5 Commit your way to the Lord,
Trust also in Him,
And He shall bring it to pass.
6 He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light,
And your justice as the noonday...

10 For yet a little while and the wicked shall be no more;
Indeed, you will look carefully for his place,
But it shall be no more.

11 But the meek shall inherit the earth,
And shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

12 The wicked plots against the just,
And gnashes at him with his teeth.
13 The Lord laughs at him,
For He sees that his day is coming...

23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord,
And He delights in his way.

24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down;
For the Lord upholds him with His hand.
25 I have been young, and now am old;
Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken,
Nor his descendants begging bread.
26 He is ever merciful, and lends;
And his descendants are blessed.
27 Depart from evil, and do good;
And dwell forevermore.
28 For the Lord loves justice,
And does not forsake His saints;
They are preserved forever,
But the descendants of the wicked shall be cut off.
29 The righteous shall inherit the land,
And dwell in it forever.

30 The mouth of the righteous speaks wisdom,
And his tongue talks of justice.
31 The law of his God is in his heart;
None of his steps shall slide.

32 The wicked watches the righteous,
And seeks to slay him.
33 The Lord will not leave him in his hand,
Nor condemn him when he is judged.
34 Wait on the Lord,
And keep His way,
And He shall exalt you to inherit the land;
When the wicked are cut off, you shall see it...

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems so simple. Kinda just clicked in the last couple months. Like finally just understand the key to peace of mind. Kinda like Elsa learning love is what battles her fear and gets her powers under control in the kid's movie Frozen. Loving and delighting in the Lord really does bring peace and stillness.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems so simple. Kinda just clicked in the last couple months. Like finally just understand the key to peace of mind. Kinda like Elsa learning love is what battles her fear and gets her powers under control in the kid's movie Frozen. Loving and delighting in the Lord really does bring peace and stillness.

Sister, really enjoying discussing the word with you. If you want to keep up with the Daily Bible Verse things also, just tag me.

I'd do it, only it's no fun doing it by yourself. :cool: