RIP?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do we say rest in peace to the departed?
Do we really believe that life ceases when the spirit departs? I don't believe we will be resting endlessly in heaven. I expect to be very busy exploring the majesty of God and his creation.

Reactions: friend of and marks

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do we really believe that life ceases when the spirit departs? I don't believe we will be resting endlessly in heaven. I expect to be very busy exploring the majesty of God and his creation.

I was told it had to do with Daniel 12:13, but I don't know.

"But go thou thy way till the end be: for thou shalt rest, and stand in thy lot at the end of the days."

It speaks of Daniel's body dying and resting until the resurrection. Between the resurrection and the Second Coming, he would "stand in his lot" awaiting his role in the Kingdom Age.

It makes sense but I have never really given it any thought.

Reactions: marks

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
R.I.P. =Sleep, or rest, until the Lord wake/calls us out of unconsciousness, when our spirits enter into our newly resurrected bodies.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Reactions: Brakelite and DNB

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great question. I believe it will both. In 2006, I went to the ER to have a cyst removed. Long story short, I had a bad reaction to the pain meds, my blood pressure bottomed out, and I went to be with Jesus (literally) for a little while. Idk how long.

When I was with Him, it was beautiful, peaceful. I wanted to stay, as life had been so wearisome. I asked Him if my children would be okay without me. He said that I could stay for a bit, but I would have to go back. So I stayed in His presence and was "rested" ...refreshed, strengthened. Then I was back in my body.

When I was with Jesus, I was fully aware that life had been so very difficult, but I didn't feel the weight or sorrow of it.
When I came back into my body, I was soooo cold, and my head was foggy. (I couldn't even remember where I was, why I was there, the day of the week, etc.) The male nurse who stayed to my right looked concerned, but was relieved that I was back. He said, "We thought we lost you." My husband and youngest son who was age four at the time, were on my left. (This is my son, who was taken to be Home with Jesus last year in January 2020.) They kept me for awhile until my BP came up and was stabilized.

All that to say .... I believe it is a rest like we have never understood here, where we get tired and the body sleeps. There, it is a continual state of peace and rest ... but not unawareness. I hope that made sense.

Reactions: amadeus and Renniks

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
R.I.P. =Sleep, or rest, until the Lord wake/calls us out of unconsciousness, when our spirits enter into our newly resurrected bodies.

PICJAG
I don't believe in soul sleep. We will go to heaven now when we " Die" and later we will occupy the new heavens and new earth.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe in soul sleep. We will go to heaven now when we " Die" and later we will occupy the new heavens and new earth.
go to heaven? show the verse

PICJAG

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Rev 14:9, And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
Rev 14:10, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
Rev 14:11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
Rev 14:12, Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Rev 14:13, And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
go to heaven? show the verse

PICJAG
22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;

Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. 7 For we live by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

No it doesn't use the term " heaven", but to be with God is to be in paradise.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev 14:9, And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
Rev 14:10, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
Rev 14:11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.
Rev 14:12, Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.
Rev 14:13, And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.
Do you think this means we will only rest?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think this means we will only rest?
To rest from our labors...

The word translated "rest" in the KJV is this:

G373 Greek: ἀναπαύω Transliteration: anapaúō Pronunciation: an-ap-ow'-o ---------- Description: from ἀνά(G303) and παύω(G3973); (reflexively) to repose (literally or figuratively (be exempt), remain); by implication, to refresh: Translation: take ease, refresh, (give, take) rest. KJV usage: rest (4x), refresh (4x), take rest (2x), give rest (1x), take ease (1x).

The word translated "labours" in the KJV is this:

G2873 Greek: κόπος Transliteration: kópos Pronunciation: kop'-os ---------- Description: from κόπτω(G2875); a cut, i.e. (by analogy) toil (as reducing the strength), literally or figuratively; by implication, pains: Translation: labour, + trouble, weariness. KJV usage: labour (13x), trouble (with G3830) (5x), weariness (1x).

It means we will not toil or be troubled and weary any longer. We will be refreshed. This is rest. :) This verse confirms for me, my experience with the Lord in 2006.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To rest from our labors...

The word translated "rest" in the KJV is this:

G373 Greek: ἀναπαύω Transliteration: anapaúō Pronunciation: an-ap-ow'-o ---------- Description: from ἀνά(G303) and παύω(G3973); (reflexively) to repose (literally or figuratively (be exempt), remain); by implication, to refresh: Translation: take ease, refresh, (give, take) rest. KJV usage: rest (4x), refresh (4x), take rest (2x), give rest (1x), take ease (1x).

The word translated "labours" in the KJV is this:

G2873 Greek: κόπος Transliteration: kópos Pronunciation: kop'-os ---------- Description: from κόπτω(G2875); a cut, i.e. (by analogy) toil (as reducing the strength), literally or figuratively; by implication, pains: Translation: labour, + trouble, weariness. KJV usage: labour (13x), trouble (with G3830) (5x), weariness (1x).

It means we will not toil or be troubled and weary any longer. We will be refreshed. This is rest. :) This verse confirms for me, my experience with the Lord in 2006.
Very awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some descriptions of heaven;
"Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. "

10 "And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. 11 It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12 It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west. 14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15 The angel who talked with me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city, its gates and its walls. 16 The city was laid out like a square, as long as it was wide. He measured the city with the rod and found it to be 12,000 stadia in length, and as wide and high as it is long. 17 The angel measured the wall using human measurement, and it was 144 cubits thick. 18 The wall was made of jasper, and the city of pure gold, as pure as glass. 19 The foundations of the city walls were decorated with every kind of precious stone. The first foundation was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, 20 the fifth onyx, the sixth ruby, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth turquoise, the eleventh jacinth, and the twelfth amethyst. 21 The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass.

22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. 24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it. 25 On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there. 26 The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it. 27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life."

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb 2 down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. 3 No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him. 4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. 5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever."

Now I know this is the final heaven, but if this New Jerusalem comes down to earth, isn't it where we have already been?

I don't know, but I do know:

Jesus told the dying thief on the cross next to him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43) Jesus told his disciples, "I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." (John 14:3) So, believers go to be with Jesus in paradise when they die.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

RIP-

I believe it hinges on A REST, a calm, of sorts experiencing PEACE, void of the world's chaos.

I do not believe it means sleep, slumber or idleness.

Gen 2:
[2] And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Psalms 121:
[3] He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
[4] Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.

Remember, He is making us to be in His Likeness.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Renniks and TLHKAJ

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is simply to maintain the fiction that no matter how evil someone is, they will be resting in peace after the death. But that goes contrary to Scripture.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! 23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;

Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. 7 For we live by faith, not by sight. 8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side.

No it doesn't use the term " heaven", but to be with God is to be in paradise.
ERROR, nope, natta, so where is the Lord? lets see, Psalms 139:7 "Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?"
Psalms 139:8 "If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there."
Psalms 139:9 "If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;"

why? because God the almighty is every where, not just in heaven only, Jeremiah 23:23 "Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off?"
Jeremiah 23:24 "Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD."

as a matter of fact, any souls in these in particular was here on EARTH, Revelation 6:9 "And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:" and the altar is here on EARTH. so no, try something else.

PICJAG

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ERROR, nope, natta, so where is the Lord? lets see, Psalms 139:7 "Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?"
Psalms 139:8 "If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there."
Psalms 139:9 "If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;"

why? because God the almighty is every where, not just in heaven only, Jeremiah 23:23 "Am I a God at hand, saith the LORD, and not a God afar off?"
Jeremiah 23:24 "Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD."

as a matter of fact, any souls in these in particular was here on EARTH, Revelation 6:9 "And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:" and the altar is here on EARTH. so no, try something else.

PICJAG
Yes God is omnipresent. But, I wonder why Jesus told us to pray to our father in heaven?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes God is omnipresent. But, I wonder why Jesus told us to pray to our father in heaven?
which one?, there are three of them. and Lord Jesus, now occupy all of them and beyound. Ephesians 4:10 "He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)"

PICJAG

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
which one?, there are three of them.
What nonsense. Three fathers in the Godhead? How is it that after all this time, you still do not understand what the Bible says? Or is this wilful ignorance?

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What nonsense. Three fathers in the Godhead? How is it that after all this time, you still do not understand what the Bible says? Or is this wilful ignorance?
I think he means three heavens. But we know Jesus didn't mean the physical sky.

Reactions: 101G