Romans 8:1 information

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I posted on this forum a request for information on Romans 8:1

Rom 8:1
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
NKJV

It seems that in some versions of the Bible the part that is underlined is left out.

The versions that left these words out are, the NLT, The Message, ASV, and the Darby Bible and some others but I did not continue my search.

Here are the ones that I found included these words, KJV. NKJV, YLT.. I stopped my search here.

What I was looking for was information on why this is true, who decided to place them in or out.

But all that I got was the religious telling me their theology of what the words meant and of course they said it has to be included. That is because they can say the walking in the Spirit is walking without sinning in the flesh.

Then there were some who used my request to say I am doing harm to the scriptures.

Obviously there are no Bible students on this form

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I posted on this forum a request for information on Romans 8:1

Rom 8:1
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
NKJV

It seems that in some versions of the Bible the part that is underlined is left out.

The versions that left these words out are, the NLT, The Message, ASV, and the Darby Bible and some others but I did not continue my search.

Here are the ones that I found included these words, KJV. NKJV, YLT.. I stopped my search here.

What I was looking for was information on why this is true, who decided to place them in or out.

But all that I got was the religious telling me their theology of what the words meant and of course they said it has to be included. That is because they can say the walking in the Spirit is walking without sinning in the flesh.

Then there were some who used my request to say I am doing harm to the scriptures.

Obviously there are no Bible students on this form

As with programes like biblegateway it ios very easy to check what different versions say in the same passage, so checking only 7 versions is laziness.

Why the difference, with some bibles having the long ending to R8:1 and some not.
Again had you done more researcg you would find an explanation.
There isn't enough evidence to include it.
If you want to read what I found the link is here:-
King James Onlyism and Romans 8:1 | CARM.org

Reactions: Nancy

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The man that I listen to on the TV is Les Feldick. He teaches from the NKJV Bible. He brought up something about Romans 8 that I did not know. It is about Romans 8.

Rom 8:1-5 -- Free from Indwelling Sin
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. NKJV

The part in blue is not in the original text. Perhaps those who have assess to references could check it out for us.

If you remove it from verse 1 and go to verses 4 and 5 you can see that there is a difference between walking in the flesh and walking in the Spirit. But is has nothing to do with sinning or not. It is setting the mind on the concerns of the flesh, as opposed to setting the mind on the things of the Spirit.

I know that there are those who hold that the latter half of Romans 8:1 is not in the original text. The same people hold that the words, "thou shalt not bear false witness" do not exist in the text of Romans 13:9.

I would say also that if we abide by the words of those teachers who teach that the latter half of Romans 8:1 should not exist, then we are among those who take away from the words of our God and Saviour; which is a very serious offence according to Revelation 22:19. It is even punishable by having your name taken out of the book of life.

And I can also see how rejecting the last half of Romans 8:1 might result in one having one's name taken out of the book of life. If someone is only reading Romans 7:14-Romans 8:12, one might get the impression, if the latter half of Romans 8:1 is not a part of the text, that it does not matter how we walk, when it comes to our salvation. With the latter half included, it is clear that our walk is important when it comes to being free of condemnation.

When you get to Romans 8:13, it becomes clear again, in spite of the distortion in Romans 8:1 by some Bible teachers (in that they unscrupulously remove the latter half of the verse), that if we walk according to the flesh, we will die (spiritually).

When people contend things like this, disputing the veracity of certain portions of the word of the Lord, they also create division in the body of Christ. For there are those faithful ones who will continue to hold that the word is the word (and that as such, such verses as Romans 8:1, Romans 13:9 ought not to be compromised) so that we can trust that what we read (in the kjv) is the words of the Holy Spirit unto us. Therefore I say again that to take away from these words would be a grievous sin in the sight of the Lord.

If someone begins to think that their walk doesn't matter (when in all veracity and truth our walk does matter), then they may begin to neglect their walk, thinking that they can walk consistently according to the flesh and still be saved. The reality is that if someone walks consistently according to the flesh, it is the sure sign that they are not saved. For those who are in Christ Jesus do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit; we are defined as believers by the way that we live. Faith without works is dead.

IMHO, If the last part of Romans 8;1 has been added to the original text by man then it certainly isn't taking away from the word of God.

Think about it, According to the gospel salvation is totally the work of God on the cross and salvation is faith plus nothing. But if those words are included then a person walking in the Spirit is a requirement of the flesh to keep salvation. It is necessary for those who believe their works are required to keep salvation to keep those words in verse 1.

What I was hoping for is that someone could tell me, and all, where and when those words were added, if they were added.

If the translators of the kjv added the latter half of Romans 8:1, then the plagues of the book of Revelation ought to have been added to them, see Revelation 22:18. But they weren't; which indicates that in translating the kjv they did not add to the word of the Lord; but that those who translated watered-down translations took away from it...of course the consequences for them, are invisible until they stand before the Great White Throne of the Lord. But what is visible is that those who translated the kjv did not receive of the plagues spoken of as being the consequences for adding to His word. Thus it ought to be clear that those things that are included by the kjv, but are taken out by watered-down versions, actually belong in the Bible.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As with programes like biblegateway it ios very easy to check what different versions say in the same passage, so checking only 7 versions is laziness.

Why the difference, with some bibles having the long ending to R8:1 and some not.
Again had you done more researcg you would find an explanation.
There isn't enough evidence to include it.
If you want to read what I found the link is here:-
King James Onlyism and Romans 8:1 | CARM.org

I certainly appreciate your researching this for me. But I don't appreciate your put down words. They were totally unnecessary and certainly do not make you my friend.

I have limited ability to do what you did since I am suffering from MM, have COPD, and have limited mobility. Last year I was in the Hospital 5 times and I don't think I deserve your put down.

Thanks for your efforts.