Sabbath-Keeping

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
I have a rule that I follow, and no one is ever going to convince me otherwise.
My rule is: If anything in the Bible seems to contradict something that Jesus has said, then either I do not understand it properly (which is possible, I am not perfect), or it is dead wrong (which is not as likely as the first one, but not completely impossible.)

Funny thing, this rule only comes into play when dealing with some of the stuff Paul has written.
Then, again, Peter does say that there are things in Paul's writings that are hard to understand, that people will "wrest to their own destruction"...

2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

The way I see it, Paul did not die for me. Paul can not give me eternal life. I am not a disciple of Paul.

Jesus says that those who love Him will keep His commandments.

Now, either we are misunderstanding Paul here, which is entirely possible...
Or Paul is wrong.
I prefer to think we are misunderstanding Him. After all, Paul also struggles to keep the law...

Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
The Barrd said:
I have a rule that I follow, and no one is ever going to convince me otherwise.
My rule is: If anything in the Bible seems to contradict something that Jesus has said, then either I do not understand it properly (which is possible, I am not perfect), or it is dead wrong (which is not as likely as the first one, but not completely impossible.)

Funny thing, this rule only comes into play when dealing with some of the stuff Paul has written.
Then, again, Peter does say that there are things in Paul's writings that are hard to understand, that people will "wrest to their own destruction"...

2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

The way I see it, Paul did not die for me. Paul can not give me eternal life. I am not a disciple of Paul.

Jesus says that those who love Him will keep His commandments.

Now, either we are misunderstanding Paul here, which is entirely possible...
Or Paul is wrong.
I prefer to think we are misunderstanding Him. After all, Paul also struggles to keep the law...

Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
That's right sister! We war with the flesh every day.
This is why our inheritance is secure.
If you are truly born again you should not fear death anymore.
This is the good news of the Gospel.
1 Cor 15:55 NIV "Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?"

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
It is very true, that we are not justified by works of the flesh...we are justified by our faith.
But does that mean that we may ignore Christ's commandments?
God forbid!
Doesn't James tell us that "faith without works is dead"?
Dead faith isn't going to save anyone....

And what is the role of the Holy Spirit?
Is it not to bring to our minds all of Christ's teachings?
This is the promise that was made in Jeremiah's beautiful prophecy...He will write the law on our hearts...given to us on the Day of Pentecost when the Jews celbrated the giving of the law on Mt. Sinia...
Coincidence? Uh...I think not...

So...are we to keep the Lord's commandments, or not?

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
The Barrd said:
It is very true, that we are not justified by works of the flesh...we are justified by our faith.
But does that mean that we may ignore Christ's commandments?
God forbid!
Doesn't James tell us that "faith without works is dead"?
Dead faith isn't going to save anyone....

And what is the role of the Holy Spirit?
Is it not to bring to our minds all of Christ's teachings?
This is the promise that was made in Jeremiah's beautiful prophecy...He will write the law on our hearts...given to us on the Day of Pentecost when the Jews celbrated the giving of the law on Mt. Sinia...
Coincidence? Uh...I think not...

So...are we to keep the Lord's commandments, or not?
Yes we are to keep the Lord's commandments, but if you slip up and sin then die that night you are not going to hell. You are covered by the precious blood of Jesus.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Not only are you saved by following Rom 10:9-10 NIV,
but you also have eternal life by believing,
check out John 3:16, John 3:36, John 5:24, John 6:47.
It all comes down to one's belief in who Jesus Christ is.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Bard,

Remember David, all through Psalms He speaks of His Love for teh Law, he speaks of how Good and Just it is, and yet He broke the "Law", and yet God said, He was a man after Gods own Heart" What Commandement did Christ Gave,

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

And there is nothing hard about Love. It is either Grace a free gift, or the "law" which is the flesh and ones own works.

What is HTE say abt grace by faith "and" keep his commandments.

He has added works to the free gift which makes it no longer free,

Which is why it says,

Rom_6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

and why it says,

1Ti_1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

Our righteousness is by Christ and His works, those who insist we need the "law" to not sin are sinners just as it says. Love doesnt need the law to do what is right, and the law will only ever condemn that is what it does.

In all His Love

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
So phoneman does that mean you hate Jesus since you too continually break them. You really havnt got your head around "love" have you.

1Co 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
1Co 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
1Co 13:5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
1Co 13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
1Co 13:7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
1Co 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

And that is why Love does not need the law and why those who insist on the law know not love.

Again what aer you willing to give up for all of Jesus???

In all His Love
Mrh, since you're so sure I broke the Ten Commandments today, please tell me which ones?

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Satan has no power except that what is given to him, but than he has many enslaved to the law, For those who are in Christ He has set free indeed, who walk after the Spirit not after the Flesh. The law is all the flesh it is not the Spirit, it is the old wine the Holy Spirit is the New wine,

Act 2:12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?
Act 2:13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

And they where - The Holy Spirit the New wine had fallen upon them.

Or

Mat 9:16 No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto an old garment, for that which is put in to fill it up taketh from the garment, and the rent is made worse.
Mat 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

As He says it doenst work.

In All His Love

Again what are you willing to loose to gain all of Him???
Satan has power over any person who refuses the "way of escape" that Jesus has provided every single one of us in the hour of temptation.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
Correct. Because Jesus will be faithful to us until the end. Very good Joyful.

Eph 1:13-14 NIV And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Eph 4:30 NIV And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
If grieving the Holy Spirit has no affect on our sealing, then why tell us not to grieve Him?

Questor

Messianic Gentile
Jun 11, 2012
SoCal Mountains
Faith
Country
United States
All of you need to take a step back and realize that the Sabbath in the New Covenant is not about law, or rules.

All that G-d wants is that you rest from creative labor, and put Him first on that day, by keeping His day sacred to you. It is written all over the 66 books of the Scriptures that G-d values this day, and uses it as a way to separate (make holy) the sheep from the goats.

It is about being a Witness of God's Grace to the world by pleasing God.

Stop arguing the point, and ask G-d to reveal His desire to you.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
I agree, we should keep his commandments but keeping them or not keeping them is not a requirement for salvation. The Word of God cannot be more simple. Once you believe you have eternal life. What are we believing in Phoneman? Works based salvation is false doctrine.

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on them.

John 5:24 "Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.

John 6:47 Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life.
Bro, you don't get the right to the Tree of Life unless you keep the commandments. (Revelation 22:14 KJV)

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
Not only are you saved by following Rom 10:9-10 NIV,
but you also have eternal life by believing,
check out John 3:16, John 3:36, John 5:24, John 6:47.
It all comes down to one's belief in who Jesus Christ is.
"Them, who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory, honor, and immortality (will receive) eternal life." Romans 2:7 KJV

Those who continue in sin are seeking after the eternal death they will most certainly obtain by their stubborn refusal to take hold of the power of Jesus to overcome it.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Questor said:
All of you need to take a step back and realize that the Sabbath in the New Covenant is not about law, or rules.

All that G-d wants is that you rest from creative labor, and put Him first on that day, by keeping His day sacred to you. It is written all over the 66 books of the Scriptures that G-d values this day, and uses it as a way to separate (make holy) the sheep from the goats.

It is about being a Witness of God's Grace to the world by pleasing God.

Stop arguing the point, and ask G-d to reveal His desire to you.
The only difference between the OC and the NC is the location for which the law is written - formerly on tables of stone but now on the "fleshly tables of the heart (2 Corinthians 3:1-3 KJV)

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
Yes we are to keep the Lord's commandments, but if you slip up and sin then die that night you are not going to hell. You are covered by the precious blood of Jesus.
Who's talking about slipping up? We're not talking about the "just man that falls seven times and rises up again', we're talking about the liar who claims to love Jesus but proves by his stubborn refusal to give up his sin that the truth is not in him. Grace is proffered to the former, but never to the latter and as soon as you OSAS people get that, you will understand the issue.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Who's talking about slipping up? We're not talking about the "just man that falls seven times and rises up again', we're talking about the liar who claims to love Jesus but proves by his stubborn refusal to give up his sin that the truth is not in him. Grace is proffered to the former, but never to the latter and as soon as you OSAS people get that, you will understand the issue.
Yes phoneman and teh stubborn man who claims to Love Jesus yet denies grace by stubbornly holding onto the Law, who on one hand says he cant earn his salvatuion by the law than on the other hand holds onto teh law with all his life to he will be saved. Is Grace Free or is it not.

Who is it that insist that without the law we will purposely sin, not us the ones under grace, but those who stubbornly hold onto the law. How many times do you need to hear,

1Ti_1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

If you are a righteous man as you claim to be why do you need the law? are you a sinner just like the rest of us.

As for which law did you break,

this one

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Always angry, why are you so angry, still what are yo wiling to give up for Jesus or is it ;like this man,

Luk 18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
Luk 18:23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.
Luk 18:24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

You say theer is no price, there are many who claim to Love Jesus yet are unwilling to pay the price to have all of Him.

Mat 20:21 And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.
Mat 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
Mat 20:23 And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.
Mat 20:24 And when the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation against the two brethren.

Mat 15:10 And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:
Mat 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Why do you refuse Him??

Status
Not open for further replies.