Sabbath-Keeping

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Im going to do something I dont do much, apoligise phhoneman, I have no right to J8udge you.

But I stll cannot understand yet I do understand why men called by Christ reject his call. Remember Peter who denied Jesus 3 times after telling Jesus,

Mar 14:29 But Peter said unto him, Although all shall be offended, yet will not I

Until lall men do as Christ says, and Go to him, christianity is just going to be another religion,

I have seeing 2 meny deny their calling, one because of His religion, and one because He refused to see Jesus any way than what he knew,

As paul Said.

Php 3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
Php 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Php 3:5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
Php 3:7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
Php 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
Php 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

That is where we MUST be in Him,

In all His love

How I hate that Jezebel Spirirt she is vicious.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Phoneman777 said:
If grieving the Holy Spirit has no affect on our sealing, then why tell us not to grieve Him?
This sentence doesn't make sense. What are you asking? Eph 4:30 NIV says "do not grieve the Holy Spirit".

Phoneman777 said:
we're talking about the liar who claims to love Jesus but proves by his stubborn refusal to give up his sin that the truth is not in him.
Refusing to give up a sin is being human Phoneman. It doesn't mean the truth isn't in him. God will convict him. Everything doesn't just happen at once.

Phoneman777 said:
Bro, you don't get the right to the Tree of Life unless you keep the commandments. (Revelation 22:14 KJV)
But that's not what those passages say. It says if you believe then you have eternal life. Why did you not quote Rev 22:15? Notice the words..

1. sexually immoral, immorality 1 Cor 6:9 NIV, 1 Tim 1:8-11 NIV, Jude 1:4 NIV, Jude 1:7 NIV, Rev 21:8 NIV, Rev 22:15 NIV
2. the name of Jesus Christ 1 Cor 6:11, 1 John 2:22 NIV, Jude 1:4 NIV
3. denies, denying, deny, 1 John 2:22 NIV, Jude 1:4 NIV
4. antichrist 1 John 2:22 NIV
5. condemnation Jude 1:4 NIV
6. did not believe, unbelieving Jude 1:5 NIV, Rev 21:8 NIV
7. punishment of eternal fire, the lake of fire, fiery lake of burning sulfur Jude 1:7 NIV, Rev 21:8 NIV

I want us to focus on these specific words. All these words describe nonbelievers that are not born again by any means. Are you connecting the dots here in 1-7...

1 Cor 6:9-11 NIV Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Tim 1:8-11 NIV We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

1 John 2:22 NIV Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist--denying the Father and the Son.

Jude 1:4-5 NIV For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. 5Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe.

Jude 1:7 NIV In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Rev 21:8 NIV But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Rev 22:14-15 NIV “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. 15Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Do you think that love has replaced the Ten Commandments?
Quite the opposite...the Ten Commandments embody the law of love.
They show us just how we are to love God, and love our neighbor!

The problem seems to be that Paul wrote in the style of a Rabbinical lawyer...not surprising, since that's what he was when he was Saul.
Remember that, before Jesus knocked him off his high horse, he was on a mission to find and arrest Christians to bring them to trial, where they might be executed for their crimes against Judaism.
Why does Paul call himself the chief of sinners?

1Ti 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Paul himself kept the law. Even in his own time, there were those who slandered him, saying that he did not keep the law, and that he taught others to forsake the law;

they glorified the Lord, and said unto him, Thou seest, brother, how many thousands of Jews there are which believe; and they are all zealous of the law:
Act 21:21 And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.
Act 21:22 What is it therefore? the multitude must needs come together: for they will hear that thou art come.

But James had a plan:

Act 21:23 Do therefore this that we say to thee: We have four men which have a vow on them;
Act 21:24 Them take, and purify thyself with them, and be at charges with them, that they may shave their heads: and all may know that those things, whereof they were informed concerning thee, are nothing; but that thou thyself also walkest orderly, and keepest the law.

And Paul followed James' instructions!

Act 21:26 Then Paul took the men, and the next day purifying himself with them entered into the temple, to signify the accomplishment of the days of purification, until that an offering should be offered for every one of them.

Now, if Paul had been teaching against God's law, he would not have participated in this ritual...to do so would have made him a hypocrite!

Notice, too, that James talks about the many thousands of believing Jews as being "zealous of the law"....shouldn't Paul have corrected these zealous Christians? Instead, he was anxious to convince them that what they had heard of him was not true.

Why would he do that?
Because what is being said about him today...that he is teaching people to forsake the law...was not true then...and it is not true now.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
ATP said:
This sentence doesn't make sense. What are you asking? Eph 4:30 NIV says "do not grieve the Holy Spirit".

Refusing to give up a sin is being human Phoneman. It doesn't mean the truth isn't in him. God will convict him. Everything doesn't just happen at once.

But that's not what those passages say. It says if you believe then you have eternal life. Why did you not quote Rev 22:15? Notice the words..

1. sexually immoral, immorality 1 Cor 6:9 NIV, 1 Tim 1:8-11 NIV, Jude 1:4 NIV, Jude 1:7 NIV, Rev 21:8 NIV, Rev 22:15 NIV
2. the name of Jesus Christ 1 Cor 6:11, 1 John 2:22 NIV, Jude 1:4 NIV
3. denies, denying, deny, 1 John 2:22 NIV, Jude 1:4 NIV
4. antichrist 1 John 2:22 NIV
5. condemnation Jude 1:4 NIV
6. did not believe, unbelieving Jude 1:5 NIV, Rev 21:8 NIV
7. punishment of eternal fire, the lake of fire, fiery lake of burning sulfur Jude 1:7 NIV, Rev 21:8 NIV

I want us to focus on these specific words. All these words describe nonbelievers that are not born again by any means. Are you connecting the dots here in 1-7...

1 Cor 6:9-11 NIV Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

1 Tim 1:8-11 NIV We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

1 John 2:22 NIV Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ. Such a person is the antichrist--denying the Father and the Son.

Jude 1:4-5 NIV For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord. 5Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord at one time delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe.

Jude 1:7 NIV In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

Rev 21:8 NIV But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

Rev 22:14-15 NIV “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. 15Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.
Do you not realize that all of these quotes you gave us deal with people who break God's laws????

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you not realize that all of these quotes you gave us deal with people who break God's laws????
Yes every single one of us no exceptions.

Thats why there is grace.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
Have you read the second chapter of Romans?

Rom 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
Rom 2:13 For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

And what is Paul saying here?

Rom 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Or here?

Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Here seems to be a clear warning:

2Th 2:7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

Is Paul preaching freedom from the law here?

1Co 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

Did Christ keep the law? Of course He did! How else could He have been our perfect sacrifice?
Did Paul also keep the law? Well, we've already seen that he was a murderer..."the chief of sinners"...but we can be sure that he repented and recieved forgiveness for his sin. That is what "grace" means!
He became a follower of Christ...the same Christ Who says "If you love Me, keep My commandments"....and he is instructing us to also be followers of Christ.
Are we followers of Christ?
If we are, we, like Paul, will keep His commandments.

It really is that simple!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Yes phoneman and teh stubborn man who claims to Love Jesus yet denies grace by stubbornly holding onto the Law, who on one hand says he cant earn his salvatuion by the law than on the other hand holds onto teh law with all his life to he will be saved. Is Grace Free or is it not.

Who is it that insist that without the law we will purposely sin, not us the ones under grace, but those who stubbornly hold onto the law. How many times do you need to hear,

1Ti_1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

If you are a righteous man as you claim to be why do you need the law? are you a sinner just like the rest of us.

As for which law did you break,

this one

Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
Joh 13:35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Always angry, why are you so angry, still what are yo wiling to give up for Jesus or is it ;like this man,

Luk 18:22 Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.
Luk 18:23 And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.
Luk 18:24 And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!

You say theer is no price, there are many who claim to Love Jesus yet are unwilling to pay the price to have all of Him.

Mat 20:21 And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.
Mat 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
Mat 20:23 And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.
Mat 20:24 And when the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation against the two brethren.

Mat 15:10 And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand:
Mat 15:11 Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

Why do you refuse Him??
Mjr, I would not have you be among the countless church members who will - to their shock and amazement - be told to depart from Jesus in the Judgment because they refused to cease from working iniquity (Matthew 7:23 KJV). Be among those who have been taught to "observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you."

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
There are always going to be people who want to cling to a particular sin in their lives, who will try to reason around the law...of course, they want to believe that Paul's teachings set them free from the law!

Let's look again at what Peter has to say about Paul's teaching:

2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
2Pe 3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

There are things in Paul's letters that are hard to understand. (Have you ever tried to untangle "lawyer talk"? LOL! Now, try to understand Rabbinical lawyere talk!)
Those who are unlearned and unstable (certainly none of US!! We're all "good Christians" here! Aren't we?)
wrest (or "twist")
as they do also the other scriptures (Peter has to be talking about the Old Testament (Torah) here...the Bible did not exist yet.)
unto their own destruction. (Now, I don't know about you, but I take that phrase very seriously. I have no intention of being led to twist the scriptures to my own destruction!)

But it's the next verse that ought to get our attention!

Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, (There is no excuse for twisting the scripture.)
beware lest ye also, (Yeah, emphasize that word, BEWARE! It is very important!)

being led away with the error of the wicked (Not good, not good! Evidently, Peter thinks that these people who wrest the scriptures are wicked! And who is wicked but those who disobey God's law? Does the phrase "workers of iniquity" ring a bell?)

fall from your own stedfastness. (Well, that tears it! Those who wish to follow those wicked wresters may do as they please...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!)

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
Yes every single one of us no exceptions.

Thats why there is grace.
The professing Christians of Matthew 7:23 KJV who continued to work iniquity will receive zero grace, because they, like many today, were deceived by the devil into believing that grace allowed them to hold onto cherished deliberate, known sin.

The grace of Jesus does not give us the freedom to continuing breaking His law any more than the grace of a governor's eleventh hour death row pardon gives the right to the condemned the freedom to climb up out of the electric chair and go out into society on a murderous rampage.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The grace of Jesus does not give us the freedom to continuing breaking His law any more t
No, but you see being Human is not a sin, and since Christ Commandment is to Love I have no problems,because love chooses to do right which is why He said, on this hangs all the law, and why is says, without love you have nothing.

be told to depart from Jesus in the
That by the way was in reference to,

Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Its certainly not about works.

In all His Love

PS dont belong to any religion, I have but one Lord, Jesus Christ.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
There are always going to be people who want to cling to a particular sin in their lives, who will try to reason around the law...of course, they want to believe that Paul's teachings set them free from the law!

Let's look again at what Peter has to say about Paul's teaching:

2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
2Pe 3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

There are things in Paul's letters that are hard to understand. (Have you ever tried to untangle "lawyer talk"? LOL! Now, try to understand Rabbinical lawyere talk!)
Those who are unlearned and unstable (certainly none of US!! We're all "good Christians" here! Aren't we?)
wrest (or "twist")
as they do also the other scriptures (Peter has to be talking about the Old Testament (Torah) here...the Bible did not exist yet.)
unto their own destruction. (Now, I don't know about you, but I take that phrase very seriously. I have no intention of being led to twist the scriptures to my own destruction!)

But it's the next verse that ought to get our attention!

Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, (There is no excuse for twisting the scripture.)
beware lest ye also, (Yeah, emphasize that word, BEWARE! It is very important!)

being led away with the error of the wicked (Not good, not good! Evidently, Peter thinks that these people who wrest the scriptures are wicked! And who is wicked but those who disobey God's law? Does the phrase "workers of iniquity" ring a bell?)

fall from your own stedfastness. (Well, that tears it! Those who wish to follow those wicked wresters may do as they please...as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!)
Ezekiel 13:22 KJV sums up what's taking place here:

(To the false prophets in Israel who condemned the righteous and praised the wicked, God rebukes), "Because with lies ye have made the heart of the righteous sad, whom I have not made sad; and strengthened the hands of the wicked, that he should not return from his wicked way, by promising him life:"

Are people attempting to make sad the hearts of the righteous who keep God's Sabbath by claiming they have "fallen from grace", while simultaneously promising eternal life to themselves and others like them who insist grace allows them to continue in wickedness? Gotta love the irony!

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
So what have you learned from post #1318.
It seems clear to me, you don't appreciate Jesus' teaching. People who preach OSAS are spreading false salvation and self assurance to the world. It is a grave sin because they are misrepresenting Jesus to the world..

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mjrhealth said:
No, but you see being Human is not a sin, and since Christ Commandment is to Love I have no problems,because love chooses to do right which is why He said, on this hangs all the law, and why is says, without love you have nothing.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

In all His Love

PS dont belong to any religion, I have but one Lord, Jesus Christ.
Brother, this has got to be the worst example of twisting Scripture since Catholicism twisted it to make Peter the "rock" upon which the church is built. There is no grace for workers of iniquity, no matter what they profess.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ezekiel 13:22 KJV sums up what's taking place here:

(To the false prophets in Israel who condemned the righteous and praised the wicked, God rebukes), "Because with lies ye have made the heart of the righteous sad, whom I have not made sad; and strengthened the hands of the wicked, that he should not return from his wicked way, by promising him life:"

Are people attempting to make sad the hearts of the righteous who keep God's Sabbath by claiming they have "fallen from grace", while simultaneously promising eternal life to themselves and others like them who insist grace allows them to continue in wickedness? Gotta love the irony!

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007

Fruit is what we practice which is works.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
You know, Phoneman, I noticed your signature line, and I looked up your verse.
In context, this is what it says:

Christ Our Advocate

1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

I don't think any of us ever put it any better than John did, in this passage.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
My E-Sword has a beautiful commentary on this passage, too:

KEEPING HIS COMMANDMENT OF LOVE

It is clearly possible to be kept from known and presumptuous sin. We shall be tempted, for that is an inevitable experience of life in this world; but we may be perfectly kept by the indwelling Spirit. Yet if we should be overtaken by some sudden gust of temptation, let us not despair; our Advocate ever makes intercession for us. The evidence that we have a saving knowledge of our Savior is obtained, not by the memory of a rapturous experience, but because we are conscious of doing, for His sake, things which we should otherwise evade. Let us continue to do such things, because by the path of patient obedience we shall enter into the Paradise of perfect, love. The outer walk is the best evidence to ourselves and others that there is an abiding union between us and Jesus. Light involves love; and love, light. Love and you are in light. Indulge hatred or ill-will and you begin to grope in darkness.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible says Jesus is "the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey Him" (Hebrews 5:9 KJV).
The Bible says Jesus gives the Holy Spirit "to them that obey Him" (Acts 5:32 KJV)

While grace is proffered to the "just man who fall seven times and rises up again", there is nothing to cover the presumptuous, deliberate, known sin of them who refuse to keep the Sabbath or any other commandment of Jesus.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Barrd said:
You know, Phoneman, I noticed your signature line, and I looked up your verse.
In context, this is what it says:

Christ Our Advocate

1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
1Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
1Jn 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
1Jn 2:5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
1Jn 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

I don't think any of us ever put it any better than John did, in this passage.
Next to Christ, John was best at demonstrating the inseparable link between love for God and the obedience to Him which that love compels. Would God that these carnally minded professors of Christianity would let sink in this self-evident truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.