Salvation in 7

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
David. I also read a book many years ago how the number 7 is intertwined throughout scripture, and how it is used to designate completeness. It was a fascinating read, and was an enlightening revelation into the complexity and intricacy with which the scriptures were inspired. Hugely encouraging for a young Christian and ex Catholic in negotiating the concept of trusting in scripture as inspired and suitable for correction and instruction in righteousness.

But the bottom line of your argument is this. You still do not have a "thus sayeth the Lord" in support of your theory that the rest we have in Christ (and no-one denies we have that rest) is actually a replacement for the 4th commandment. There is no hunt anywhere that God has removed the 4th commandment from the tables of stone before transcribing them upon the human heart No more than loving your neighbor replaces the 7th or the 10th, 9th,5th, or the 6th or the 8th. No more than loving God with all your heart, soul, mind, and body replaces the 1st,2nd, or 3rd. They compliment each other and by fulfilling one you fulfill the others... Which I am sure you agree with. But there's not a word in scripture that says any of them, not even the 4th, is replaced by love. Love is how you obey the 9, and love is how you submit to the authority of the 4th.
What you have is no more than conjecture and assumption and human surmising and reasoning.
But you are correct in one thing. It takes faith to believe your assumptions. It is not faith in scripture or the word of God. But faith in your faulty interpretation. I think we are on much safer ground in simply believing the word of God as written. "Remember the Sabbath to keep it holy..." That 24 hour period in time that comes around with unfailing regularity, is still holy. There are numerous scriptural counsels that apply here...

KJV Isaiah 8:20
20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

KJV Isaiah 58:13-14
13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:
14 Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.
Good Afternoon Brakelite,

Let us be together as Christ placed us together in His Body = let us have the Mind of Christ, together.

#1 - i have never read any books on the number 7 and it's significance in the Bible.

#2 - What i post concerning this thread and related subject matter is coming from Scripture after years of prayer and study.

#3 - Before i speak on a subject i consider the Entirety of Scripture, Genesis to Revelation, and (hopefully) exhaust the realms of
Agreement/Harmony vs Disagreement/Incompatible within Scripture ITSELF.

PLEASE allow time between us in our discussion and "let us" take the 'Bullseye' approach as in Archery.
Thus our Focus and Goal is on the Center of the Target and we only can shoot one arrow at a time, aiming for the CENTER/TRUTH.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said: "But the bottom line of your argument is this. You still do not have a "thus sayeth the Lord" in support of your theory that the rest we have in Christ (and no-one denies we have that rest) is actually a replacement for the 4th commandment."

i would like to combine your statement with that of Barney's who suggested that my musing was "amateur hermanuetics" and failed some sort of hermanuetic protocol."

#1.) 3 Witnesses = "thus sayeth the Lord' was indeed verified out of the very Mouth of God, of JESUS and of the Holy Spirit

TRUE hermanuetics REQUIRES that God did speak and gave His Direction/Command/Instruction that we are to:
a.) Believe - even when we do not understand(at first)
b.) Follow/Obey - even when we do not understand(at first)
c.) DO NOT Alter/Compromise/Adjust a single word that God has spoken = Proverbs 30:5-6

The "thus sayeth the LORD" Scriptures are:
a.) Genesis 2:1-3
Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.
And by the seventh day God had finished the work He had been doing; so on that day He rested from all His work.
Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because on that day He rested from all the work of creation that He had accomplished.

b.) John 5:16-18
For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath. But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.”
Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God. (all jw's take note)

c.) John 4:34
Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.
(this should be a 'eureka' moment right here)

d.) John 19:28-30
After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!”
Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth.
So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, It is finished! And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

e.) Hebrews ch4 = This scripture encapsulates and concludes all the scriptures in (a), (b), (c) and (d)
Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”
although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day
from all His works”; and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”

Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience,
again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,” after such a long time, as it has been said:

“Today, if you will hear His voice,
Do not harden your hearts.”

NOTE: This is not exhaustive as there are even more scriptural 'Bullseyes" that all POINT to CHRIST as Fulffilling ALL of the "Works of God" and specifically the 7th Day of REST just as the scriptures stated herein Declare.

HOWEVER, if you reject what is undeniable "thus sayeth the LORD" in these Holy Scriptures, no other scriptures will suffice you as well, even though they can be seen and pointed out.

SUMMARY: PERFECT Hermaneutics was/and is being applied here in truth as these Scriptures ALL AGREE with each other= PERFECTLY.

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BarneyFife @Brakelite and ALL who desire Truth = you must follow the Way which God has spoken

Know you Biblical A,B,C's

A.) God finished His works and rested on the 7th day.

B.) JESUS came down from Heaven to finish His Father's Work = on the Cross JESUS said: "It is Finished"

C.) Holy Spirit says: the REST of God is CHRIST = Hebrews ch4

the LORD Jesus Christ is the REST of God where atonement was made for the world = Jew & Gentile
LET THE GLORIOUS KING CHRIST JESUS be praised my friend . YES INDEED . The lambs shall POINT TO HE ALONE .

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LET THE GLORIOUS KING CHRIST JESUS be praised my friend . YES INDEED . The lambs shall POINT TO HE ALONE .
From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more.
Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”

But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.
Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said: "But the bottom line of your argument is this. You still do not have a "thus sayeth the Lord" in support of your theory that the rest we have in Christ (and no-one denies we have that rest) is actually a replacement for the 4th commandment."

i would like to combine your statement with that of Barney's who suggested that my musing was "amateur hermanuetics" and failed some sort of hermanuetic protocol."

#1.) 3 Witnesses = "thus sayeth the Lord' was indeed verified out of the very Mouth of God, of JESUS and of the Holy Spirit

TRUE hermanuetics REQUIRES that God did speak and gave His Direction/Command/Instruction that we are to:
a.) Believe - even when we do not understand(at first)
b.) Follow/Obey - even when we do not understand(at first)
c.) DO NOT Alter/Compromise/Adjust a single word that God has spoken = Proverbs 30:5-6

The "thus sayeth the LORD" Scriptures are:
a.) Genesis 2:1-3
Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array.
And by the seventh day God had finished the work He had been doing; so on that day He rested from all His work.
Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because on that day He rested from all the work of creation that He had accomplished.

b.) John 5:16-18
For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath. But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.”
Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God. (all jw's take note)

c.) John 4:34
Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.
(this should be a 'eureka' moment right here)

d.) John 19:28-30
After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!”
Now a vessel full of sour wine was sitting there; and they filled a sponge with sour wine, put it on hyssop, and put it to His mouth.
So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, It is finished! And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.

e.) Hebrews ch4 = This scripture encapsulates and concludes all the scriptures in (a), (b), (c)
Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it.
For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”
although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day
from all His works”; and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”

Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience,
again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,” after such a long time, as it has been said:

“Today, if you will hear His voice,
Do not harden your hearts.”

NOTE: This is not exhaustive as there are even more scriptural 'Bullseyes" that all POINT to CHRIST as Fulffilling ALL of the "Works of God" and specifically the 7th Day of REST just as the scriptures stated herein Declare.

HOWEVER, if you reject what is undeniable "thus sayeth the LORD" in these Holy Scriptures, no other scriptures will suffice you as well, even though they can be seen and pointed out.

SUMMARY: PERFECT Hermaneutics was/and is being applied here in truth as these Scriptures ALL AGREE with each other= PERFECTLY.
I've been pondering your thread since it was begun, David.
I do realize the point you are making is also from the closed thread, the 10 commandments are forever.
I said on that thread, the argument, debate ect. that it simply boils down to Sabbath worship ( REST), as in what

DAY !

Not that any deny the other 9 for as has been said, love God with your all, love your neighbor as yourself; on these hang the law and the
prophets !
Jesus added, love the brethren, to identify his disciples to the world.

Some deny Jesus' deity, thereby denying his part as God. They cannot see in the spiritual realm the " REST" that is Jesus!

Some even deny the book of Hebrews is written to modern day believers. If one denies ANY part of the NT, which is our instructions manual on living for Christ, they are then blind and it will take the Spirit for convincing!

I am so thankful that condemning is not my part among believers, but I can question the fruit. Saying that, can a person that denies Jesus is God and his rest bear any fruit of the Spirit, as God is one God?

Just having good integrity, and good character, DOES THIS GIVE ONE REST IN GOD ?

lol maybe I just need to step back and watch, even though WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE !

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do realize the point you are making is also from the closed thread, the 10 commandments are forever.
I said on that thread that it simply boils down to Sabbath worship ( REST), as in what DAY !

Not that any deny the other 9 for as has been said, love God with your all, love your neighbor as yourself; on these hang the law and the
prophets !

Some deny Jesus' deity, thereby denying his part as God. They cannot see in the spiritual realm the " REST" that is Jesus!

Some even deny the book of Hebrews is written to modern day believers. If one denies ANY part of the NT, which is our instructions manual on living for Christ, they are then blind and it will take the Spirit for convincing!

I am so thankful that condemning is not my part among believers, but I can question the fruit. Saying that, can a person that denies Jesus is God and his rest bear any fruit of the Spirit, as God is one God?

Just having good integrity, and good character, DOES THIS GIVE ONE REST IN GOD ?

lol maybe I just need to step back and watch, even though WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE !

You pointed out the real DANGER = "Some even deny the book of Hebrews is written to modern day believers. If one denies ANY part of the NT,"

Once we start denying scriptures, we then replace those scriptures with 'human logic' which comes from misaligned thoughts.
Thus the free-fall away from Truth begins.....................

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said on that thread, the argument, debate ect. that it simply boils down to Sabbath worship ( REST), as in what

DAY !

prophets !

Have you pondered this passage which you quoted?
"love God with your all, love your neighbor as yourself; on these hang the law and the prophets !"

It truly is an Amazing statement made by the LORD!

Last edited:
Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you pondered this passage which you quoted?
"love God with your all, love your neighbor as yourself; on these hang the law and the prophets !"

It truly is an Amazing statement made by the LORD!
Yes, it is the sum of ALL the OT, bringing us into the law of liberty, which is the grace of God, through Jesus!

The word of God is my bread of life!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You pointed out the real DANGER = "Some even deny the book of Hebrews is written to modern day believers. If one denies ANY part of the NT,"

Once we start denying scriptures, we then replace those scriptures with 'human logic' which comes from misaligned thoughts.
Thus the free-fall away from Truth begins.....................
The free fall away from truth begins .................the moment one heeds the voice of the stranger .
The one who says HAS GOD REALLY SAID , was that really written , and then they go about
to do exactly what the serpent did .
Lets examine what i mean .
WHAT DID GOD specifically tell adam not to do and WHY .
Do not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil for in the day you eat thereof YE SHALL SURELY DIE .
now notice the large letters .
Now along comes the serpent , OH Ye shall NOT surely die .....................
SEE THE POINT YET .
This is exactly what many do to what GOD INSIPIRED IN THOSE LETTERS .
OH DID JESUS really say those who believed not would be damned . OH SURELY YE WONT BE DAMNED
GOD IS LOVE , preach universalism .
IF we examine anyone of their dark teachings you will find one thing in common with them all .
THEY MAKE VOID what was written , WHATEVER THE EXCUSE IS , THEY MAKE IT VOID .
THAT my friend IS HOW THE SERPENT WORKS .
HAS GOD REALLY SAID , nay nay sayeth the serpent and so too do his men and his women .
AS FOR ME . IF ITS IN THE BIBLE , I AM GONNA BELIEVE IT .
We sure dont want to make the mistake adam and eve did and many others willfully do today .
THEY CHOSE TO BELEIVE THE DEVIL OVER GOD . GOD WAS RIGHT . they did die
SATAN said they would not . THEY BELIEVED SATAN and many today BELIEVE THEIR SCHOLARS and teachers
WHO TWIST and make excuse .
NOW YA KNOW what is and has been behind that the whole time . THE SERPENT .
HAS GOD really said .............................DID CHRIST REALLY SAY
AND TWIST TWIST TWIST AWAY THEY DO . BUt , THE LAMBS BELIEVE GOD , HIS CHRIST and all the WORDS WRITTEN
and left to us IN THAT BIBLE .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, it is the sum of ALL the OT, bringing us into the law of liberty, which is the grace of God, through Jesus!

The word of God is my bread of life!
That is the meat of the lambs . A lamb will not heed the voice of a stranger , FOR GOD is with it .
IF GOD said it , THEY BELIEVE IT .
Did you know that most folks chose to beleive satan over GOD . Just like adam and eve did .
I mean If they had to actually BELIEVE THE SERPENT .
I mean WHO DID THEY LISTEN TOO . This too is why lambs will not heed the voice of strangers .
Strangers come along as did the serpent , strangers will omit and make void the things WRITTEN .
And strangers will bend and twist it , but in the end its clear what is going on to a lamb .
THEY MAKING VOID THE TRUTH . Was it really written in hebrews , NAY nay sayeth the serpent
that was not written for todays church .
And they pit james against paul , they do what they do and what they do is REFUSE TO HEED WHAT IS WRITTEN .
Just like eve , just like adam . The voice of the stranger has captivated their hearts .
And now HAS GOD REALLY SAID , has become nay nay and the reason of the excuse they then give .
If you look at every false doctrine you see the work of the serpent IN IT .
Always it is at work , captivating through the lusts of the flesh , the cares and pleasure in life
the pride of life , and taking those who follow the flesh , captive to a lie .
And as it was in the days of Israel so too it is even now .
THE PROPHETS PROPHESY falsely and the peoples love to have it so . BUT NOT THE LAMBS . NOT the lambs .
JESUS HAS THE LAMBS and they have overcome THEM , for greater is HE in that is in the lambs than he that is of the world .
LAMBS STAYED GLUED TO THE BIBLE , they dont make void the teachings of JESUS , they dont make void
the letters of the apostels , THEY JUST LOVE and embrace TRUTH . Sheep hear the VOICE of the GREAT SHEPARD
and a strangers voice THEY AINT GONNA FOLLOW .

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I will address David's long winded repeat of his former assertions in a little while, but in the meantime, and on a side note, I am curious. Why does the question of not believing Jesus is God , keep coming up on a discussion on Sabbath keeping?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sense this is in my direction, bc I have said this. It is not directed to any individual person but rather the belief or doctrine of several denominal affiliations that do exactly this; deny Jesus is God.

If ppl believe the Sabbath day is our rest, rather than Jesus is our rest, can they truly enter into the rest of God?
This as per the 10 commandments .
Exodus 20
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

IMO , Jesus is the fulfilling of the 10 commandments and especially " sabbath " rest. It is not a designated " day".

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Furthermore if this is true.....
John 1:1-14 KJV
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Jesus being the word, .
And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

How do we discount the scriptures?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sense this is in my direction, bc I have said this. It is not directed to any individual person but rather the belief or doctrine of several denominal affiliations that do exactly this; deny Jesus is God.

If ppl believe the Sabbath day is our rest, rather than Jesus is our rest, can they truly enter into the rest of God?
This as per the 10 commandments .
Exodus 20
8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

IMO , Jesus is the fulfilling of the 10 commandments and especially " sabbath " rest. It is not a designated " day".
And YE SHALL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS . LET THE LORD BE PRAISED .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

Jesus being the word, .
And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

To answer your last question . Lambs dont discount scriptures . As i am sure you already know . Just wanted to say it anyway .
IF GOD SAID < CHRIST SAID , THE SPIRIT INSPIRED Words through the apostles said , LAMBS BELIEVE .
For lambs hear not the voice of the serpent who sayeth HAS GOD REALLY SAID , rather they HEED GOD WHO DID SAY .
Adam and eve found out the hard way that IF GOD SAYS SOMETHING
ITS GONNA HAPPEN . GOD cannot lie . HE told them in the day ye eat thereof ye shall SURELY DIE .
The serpernt said NAY YE SHALL NOT SURELY DIE . And eve chose to beleive the serpents lie and adam
chose to heed his wife . AND WHO TURNED OUT TO BE RIGHT . GOD AS ALWAYS .
SO now i am gonna leave us with this reminder , cause i see a lot of folks who are buying into the serpents lie
of YE shall not surely die .
DID JESUS really say that if one believes in HIM they shall have eternal life .
Yes JESUS said that if one hears and believes they will have eternal life
but if one denies and rejects HIM they will surely perish .
NAY NAY sayeth the serpent , YE shall not surely perish if ye believe not
WHO WE GONNA BELEIVE . SATAN OR GOD , ANTI CHRIST or CHRIST , GOD or men who try and say otherwise .
ITS GOD WE FOLLOW SISTER and ITS THE CHRIST OF GOD ALONE WE SHALL POINT TOO .

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus being the word, .

@BarneyFife @Brakelite

i was holding this back for both of you but since @L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d has now "asserted" her God Given Blessing for you.

John chapter 1 is a direct rebuke upon anyone who claims "amateurish hermeneutics" and "long winded assertions" of God's Rest.

@BarneyFife @Brakelite both have made a statement saying that "Genesis chapter 2 has nothing to do with the Redemption Plan of God in Christ," upon which TODAY we continue to see this statement as both unbiblical and against God's Will.

Furthermore(Hermeneutics of TRUTH) the Apostle John(John chapter 1) AGREES with the Apostle Paul(Colossians 1:15-20).

Now we have at least 5 Witnesses who ALL point to CHRIST being God's REST since the "foundation of the world".

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not directed to any individual person but rather the belief or doctrine of several denominal affiliations that do exactly this; deny Jesus is God.

I can only speak for myself, but my denomination's official expressed belief about the divinity of Christ, with which I have no disagreement as far as I can tell, can be found here:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

One problem that arises in these discussions is that words and phrases have different meanings to different people but, in the end, they are all we really have to communicate with each other. Many people try to be honest and understand each other. They make the sharing of ideas profitable and enjoyable. I've had enough interaction with you, for example, to know that you want to understand and to be understood.

So, for instance, if we say:

"______ is our rest"

On the surface (apart from your intentions which I have no reason to believe are any less than friendly), this part of the question could be seen to imply that there is only one kind of rest that pertains to the Christian, i.e., "our rest."

But we do have to rest every night. It could be said that just as Jesus provides deliverance from sin and its condemnation, He also provides the shade from the sun that the earth gives producing the darkness that quickens the secretion of melatonin in the brain every night so that we can get much-needed restorative sleep and so, in an indirect or metaphorical sense, Jesus could be considered our nightly rest.

In the same way as with regular, biorhythmic rest, Jesus provides (in more ways than there is space to enumerate here) everything we need to survive including food, water, exercise, fresh air, etc. In Him, we live and move and have our being (Acts 17:28). To the degree that we have the proper amount of these things, we are better able to love and serve Him. So He could be seen, figuratively, to be all of these necessary things.

In, again, the same way science is becoming more and more aware that there is a weekly cycle of activity and rest that humans just can't shake off, no matter how hard Madison Avenue marketing tries to exploit their vanity and greed.

Just as God regulates the healthy lower passions that cause man to seek to be fruitful and multiply by the imposition of 7th commandment, He regulates the healthy initiative to work and prosper that, if left unchecked, would result in the aforementioned vanity and greed, by the 4th commandment.

As soon as God expanded the codification of His law in Exodus 20, He created another law (which was an expansion of Genesis 3:21) pointing to the disposition of sin and guilt—the ceremonial law, especially contained in the ancient Hebrew Sanctuary service—which typifies the entire atonement process at which Christ is the center.

From one Jesus to another?

In Isaiah 66, the poetic exhortation of the previous several chapters for Israel to be patient and cultivate hope in the promise of His coming to deliver them culminates in verses 22 & 23. In the new heavens and the new earth He will then have made, He declared that from one Sabbath to another, all would gather before Him to worship.

If Christ is the Christian's only pertinent or necessary rest, are we really to assume that this verse means that "all flesh shall come to worship before the LORD from one new moon to another and from one Jesus to another?"

Jesus said the Sabbath was made for man. He ought to know—He made it and is LORD of it. He never broke it (John 5:18 is written from the point of view of the Jews' claims about Him, as a careful study of the entire verse reveals). He said plainly that He kept His Father's law (John 15:10), and Sabbath-keeping is recorded as being His custom (Luke 4:16). And mankind has never stopped needing weekly rejuvenation and especially focused worship.

Those who break the least of His commandments and teach others to do so shall be called least in the kingdom of Heaven (Matthew 5:19). This is no declaration of condemnation by one human being to even a hypothetical other one. It is simply what the Word says. And "being called least" is a Hebrew expression that does not mean a demotion to a lower rank—it is a dishonorable discharge.

If, in addition to the rest we need most of all from the guilt and condemnation of sin, the weekly rest and concentrated worship is something we all need even to this day, wouldn't the 4th commandment even qualify as "the least of commandments?"

And if there is more than one Great commandment (Matthew 22:36-40), couldn't there be more than one kind of rest that pertains to Christians?

And finally, if we try to fashion Jesus as a mere object of one of our felt needs (rest from labor, material needs for temporal survival, or even a means of salvation), we deny Him His right to be loved and worshipped as a Person Who has not only provided everything (John 10:10) above that we could ask or think (Ephesians 3:20), but as an amazing Friend Who desperately desires to commune with us.

Zec 13:6
And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

(This has long been my favorite verse in the entire Bible.)

Reactions: Brakelite

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the work of Redemption, including Atonement, was all part of God's plan since Day 1.
And, probably Even...

"According as He Hath Chosen us In Him ...before the foundation of the world, that
we should be holy and without blame before Him in love: Having predestinated us
unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ To Himself, according to the Good
Pleasure of His Will, To The Praise Of The Glory Of His Grace, Wherein He Hath
Made us Accepted In The Beloved." (Ephesians 1:4-6)

Amen.​

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, probably Even...

"According as He Hath Chosen us In Him ...before the foundation of the world, that​
we should be holy and without blame before Him in love: Having predestinated us​
unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ To Himself, according to the Good​
Pleasure of His Will, To The Praise Of The Glory Of His Grace, Wherein He Hath​
Made us Accepted In The Beloved." (Ephesians 1:4-6)​
Amen.​
Therefore (based on Eph 1:4-6) we can be absolutely certain that our Salvation had been made Law purely by Grace.

Not the law of Moses but the Law of Christ.