• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ya, and there's nothing in there about Paul acknowledging any earthly authority higher than himself that i recall. Wanna post the relevant v?
Acts 15:1-2
Certain people came down from Judea to Antioch and were teaching the believers: “Unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved.” This brought Paul and Barnabas into sharp dispute and debate with them. So Paul and Barnabas were appointed, along with some other believers, to go up to Jerusalem to see the apostles and elders about this question.

They went to consult with the Apostles to get a decision.
They sought their authority on the matter.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
or possibly the rest of the Apostles were just in communion with Paul, yes. Now, about this ritual of Communion that you have now...
Not according to Acts 15.
READ your Bible . . .

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Acts 15:1-2
Certain people came down from Judea to Antioch and were teaching the believers: “Unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved.” This brought Paul and Barnabas into sharp dispute and debate with them. So Paul and Barnabas were appointed, along with some other believers, to go up to Jerusalem to see the apostles and elders about this question.

They went to consult with the Apostles to get a decision.
They sought their authority on the matter.
nice :)

one might argue that they were going as equals seeking agreement tho

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you're not part of ANY body, that would make you a Lone Ranger Christian, which is condemned in Scripture (1 Cor. 12, Heb. 10:25).
So, my question stands: HOW can you say that all of these divided sects and Lone Rangers are "one" Body??
Pay attention. I said I am not "a member of any group."

Stop calling names.

Stop making accusations about what you don't know.

I wouldn't know about "divided sects" and "lone rangers." I only know the body of Christ.

Reactions: pia and Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
those you are trying to disqualify based upon their actions in those verses. i'm not saying one should forsake gathering ok, but there is a road you walk alone, indicated in "seek your own salvation"
And that's the problem with most Protestants.

It's not "me and Jesus" alone. I am part of His BODY.
It's US and Jesus - not ME and Jesus.

His Body is not the individual - but the entire Body, working and loving and praying and celebrating the Eucharist together.

Reactions: tabletalk

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No "right or wrong". :)
This is actually true..I believe it! God has spoken to me through the most obscure scriptures. He has just grabbed a scripture and spoken to me personally through it...YET in reading the whole passage, that one scripture is not saying what God used it to speak to me.

In my experience...God can indeed speak two different things from a scripture to two different people.
A friend of mine was doing a morning bible reading when a verse in Pauls writings "jumped" out at her. It made no sense to her at all...something about "accepting something"...and God blessing her for it.
That afternoon someone called her and asked her if they would be willing to accept a Pastor who needed lodgings. Straight way " she knew" that this was what the Holy Spirit was speaking about in the morning reading.
That was the pastor who led me to the Lord...he lodged with them for 15 years.
Just saying... blessings...H

Hi, good grief. I accidentally put a thumbs up to what I thought was your post, to find out it was BOL. I get mixed up sometimes with what he writes in various colors as some people quote scripture or Philosophers in color also.
I think what he meant was that God wasn't going to tell a people two opposite things. I'm with you on this, God is well able to do so, and after all these years I still get amazed at just how many things He accomplishes by one act, or one Word. Reminds me of how Jesus told his disciples to pick up every bit of bread after feeding the thousands, He clearly NEVER wastes a thing. When He started showing me all the things that were taken care of in the period leading up to His death, during His death and after, it almost literally blew my sox off. I had zero idea of all of that, and I had not been taught any of it within the church system, perhaps they don't know all that either?
I have found a person on here you will love being here. I won't name drop, as I am sure you will find out the same thing I did. Love and Peace always Pia

Reactions: Helen

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pay attention. I said I am not "a member of any group."
Stop calling names.

Stop making accusations about what you don't know.

I wouldn't know about "divided sects" and "lone rangers." I only know the body of Christ.
No you DON'T know the Body of Christ if you're not in communion with the Body.
That is as inane as claiming to be "part" of a graduating class and never having been enrolled at the school.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who are YOU to say that we will see Ananias ans Sapphira in Heaven?
That is only for GOD to decide - not you.

They were punished because they lied to GOD.
This is another prime example of people who had an epignosis of Christ and LOST it all by their own doing.

Who are you to say because they lied to the Holy Spirit, that they lost their salvation. There is nothing here to indicate that.

Stranger

Reactions: pia

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No you DON'T know the Body of Christ if you're not in communion with the Body.
That is as inane as claiming to be "part" of a graduating class and never having been enrolled at the school.
There you go again making accusations.

I never said I was not in communion with the body. On the contrary, I said, "I know the body of Christ."

Like I also said, "Pay attention."

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then can you address why there are so many different sects teaching different doctrines - ALL based from different interpretations of the same Scriptures? Some of the differences I listed in post #663 are differences in ESSENTIALS.

How is it that the Holy Spirit would guide people to such confusion?
Or is it merely the opinions of men and NOT the guidance of the Holy Spirit?

Sorry, I probably didn't make my post very clear then. :(
I do still believe and know it to be true..ie, that God can and does speak two different things through one scripture at different times, for different reasons...I gave an illustration ....maybe I didn't clarify enough that I was speaking about it in our personal everyday life.
Yet you I believe are speaking about "rightly dividing the word of truth"....
You are speaking about doctrine...I was not.

Yes indeed, we have splinter groups , and even splinters off from the splinter!! Even within your own church there are "different flavours" some churches emphasis one thing, and another something else. Some are 'hard-line' and some are more laid back.
I have no answers...you talk much about anti-catholic..yet amongst "our lot" the exchange can be quite 'hot and heavy'.. try between a strict Baptist and a Charismatic " holy-roller" , as they used to be called, neither believes the other is right.
I myself am a believer in the ultimate victory...your hair would curl if you heard what many other Christians think about that! ;) "I am a deceived heretic."..and many other such names...but, that is fine with me...I see no point in defending what I believe God has shown me.
One day...God will show to us all The Only Truth that really matters. ✟ Until then, we each must stand in what we believe unless we are proved wrong. As I have said before...I don't ever mind being wrong...it doesn't bother me like it does others, I don't have to prove anything...I just have to live it.
If and when I am proved wrong...that can only be good ...it means I have learned something new, and who does not wish to move forward!

So no..I can't see the argument about "right and wrong"...I do not believe God is quite as anal about "right and wrong' of issues...but He is very interested in observing just how much 'spiritual life' and love has been worked into our lives.

Reactions: pia and Pisteuo

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so then Paul is DQed as a follower of Christ, too, since he purposely avoided the other Apostles for three years
Amen.
One body, many members. Not sure this means different "sects" as much as it means all believers make up the "One Body". Who cares if you call yourself Catholic or Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist or any other name. Associating with a group probably won't carry much weight when your name is called.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi, good grief. I accidentally put a thumbs up to what I thought was your post, to find out it was BOL. I get mixed up sometimes with what he writes in various colors as some people quote scripture or Philosophers in color also.
Love and Peace always Pia

No worries...he could do with a 'like.' :)
If you ever make a mistake, just click it again, and it will vanish.
I did that this morning to someone...not by mistake. I clicked like, then reread what was written in the post, and quickly un-liked it...as I had read it wrongly. Ha!

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How do you know that they are wrong and YOU are right if you ALL prayed before you read the Scriptures and got two different interpretations?
Dear Lord I had hoped we could start afresh......You and marymog has a bad habit of misquoting people or just NOT reading what people write.....I have NEVER claimed that I am right, but that Jesus IS.......He is the one who showed me this and spoke to me about it, because I didn't understand that if Jesus died for the sin of the world, why it was that every church group or even most Christians, went on and on about constant sin and repentance and of course the loss of what Jesus died to grant us. It took Him a long time to finally get it all the way through me, but I accept it fully now, as He has showed me in so many ways, that He is STILL always there, no matter what I think I have done wrong, and I can rely on Him to set me straight.
You claim we're all against Catholics and quite frankly I have read a lot of posts now, and I simply do not see what you see,. What I see is people not agreeing with the Catholic church system.....But I see that you do what you accuse others of, by having a go at the protestant churches........Personally I have a 'beef' with all of them because of the way they misrepresent God ( even if it is in ignorance ).
Are you able to share ONE thing please, which you didn't get from studying? I would love to hear something real from you and not just second, third or fourth hand hearsay............Certainly The Lord would not be pleased at all this dissension....

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Amen.
One body, many members. Not sure this means different "sects" as much as it means all believers make up the "One Body". Who cares if you call yourself Catholic or Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist or any other name. Associating with a group probably won't carry much weight when your name is called.

Well said...and totally agree. :)
I don't much like labels ... we know that Christians didn't call themselves Christians..others did.
When I meet someone new, I usually ask.."what do you believe..." where or if they worship somewhere makes no difference.
But many would disagree with that! LOL
Often , instead of finding their identity in the Lord, they find it in a church or group , and draw their identity from that!
Bottom line...it is not where we go, or who we identify with..it is who we are and how we live that counts.

It's nice having you on the site Pisteuo. :) Bless you ...H

Reactions: Pisteuo and pia

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ya, and there's nothing in there about Paul acknowledging any earthly authority higher than himself that i recall. Wanna post the relevant v?
As far as I recall, Paul made a point of saying that he did NOT immediately confer with the other disciples, then went away for , what was it? 17 years while the Lord taught Him......Please if I am wrong can someone please show me where in Acts the meeting with Paul and the others took place immediately after his conversion. Thank you :)

Reactions: Pisteuo and Helen