Sanctification is not a Process

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rockytopva… All of these years as a Christian and still going through the process of sanctification!
Just some thoughts.

Still here as well; if we could just live perfectly in which there was no suffering, what a dream that would be; to be able to fully 100% be as Jesus was to no longer sin.

The truth is that Jesus lives within us, and whether or not if we choose to abide in him, even becoming rooted and grounded in the good soil. Can be difficult; which requires of course the self-denial Jesus had spoke about, in the quoted verse below.

“Take up your cross and follow me.”

Self-denial is difficult for us as human beings to do, and to submit to something else or rather someone else that being the Father.

It is a choose from our free will decision made within our soul, and none of us will be 100% perfect in the flesh; though you can become mature or perfect in your fellowship with the Father and the son; in which you move into understanding your own position in front of God because of the Son. And are given a new life to live.

The hope of course to have a life here on earth which a person builds up their faith, and to continue to ask the Father to help one by the spirit, even overcoming things in the flesh though sometimes when our flesh does fail; it’s not that God didn’t keep us from the temptation.

Our minds give into that temptation to do wrong to others even treat them unfairly, even marking them as lower as one self which puffs of the pride of one’s own heart. This is why Paul said it is for Christians to become dead to sin and alive unto God and the messiah.

To put off the old man and to put on Christ, and to get rid of slander, wrath, anger, and to allow the heavenly to come more into the heart dying to some of the meh actions one may take on others.

Humility and to be humble before God also knowing your place and life in which all us, have done wrong in life, and can not compared to the Lord except when you allow the spirit to come through by and through praying and talking to God to help you by the spirit, telling him all your anger, rage, greed, asking him to help you get over those things, and to live more by the spirit which causes peace, love, joy.

All of these things take time, to learn and to repetitively get the word in your mind, and heart you will start to have peace with God as long as you really know your standing before God in Christ and that all have access to the Father and to go to him in all your situations and circumstances, not that all prayers will be answered especially if one is asking for the worldly things to spend your pleasure on, James makes it clear no one should expect to receive anything from the Lord that are doubled minded, unstable, between the world and God.

Praise be to God though, whom loved all the people in the world, and sent his Son, whom willingly died on the behalf of all mankind that sin could be paid for, and for people who seek for truth to understand what needs to die in the flesh and what needs to be alive which is the spirit inside of the believer of faith to have help even self-control by the strength of the Lord Jesus Christ.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It may well be a never-ending process...but it is an instant gift of grace through faith.
Epi

You reminded me of this verse
“Already, indeed, then, there is altogether a fault among you, that ye have judgments with one another; wherefore do ye not rather suffer injustice? wherefore be ye not rather defrauded? but ye — ye do injustice, and ye defraud, and these — brethren! have ye not known that the unrighteous the reign of God shall not inherit? be not led astray; neither whoremongers, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, the reign of God shall inherit. And certain of you were these! but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were declared righteous, in the name of the Lord Jesus, and in the Spirit of our God.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭6‬:‭7‬-‭11‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

Paul writing to the Corinthians, expressed they had been washed, and were sanctified, they were justified in the name of the Lord and by the spirit of our God. They had been washed and sanctified of their former way of life, because of the new life which Jesus brings.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Still here as well; if we could just live perfectly in which there was no suffering, what a dream that would be; to be able to fully 100% be as Jesus was to no longer sin.
Being sinless didn't stop Jesus from suffering, and nor will it stop us. The closer we come to the Father, the more intense will be the sense of sorrow and empathetic pain we experience when considering the suffering of others. Also, do you not think God feels pain and sorrow in the knowledge that so many of those He loves will ultimately cease to exist because they have chosen to reject His mercy? The sadness He experiences when so many declare finally, "we will not have this man to rule over us".

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Epi

Paul writing to the Corinthians, expressed they had been washed, and were sanctified, they were justified in the name of the Lord and by the spirit of our God. They had been washed and sanctified of their former way of life, because of the new life which Jesus brings.
Indeed, and just a few verses down Paul pleaded with them to flee sexual sin, clearly a sin common among them for just a few verses previous Paul pointed out they had among them one who was having sexual relations with his father's wife.

Reactions: amigo de christo

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! This is descriptive of the righteous (believers) who have been washed, sanctified and justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God. In CONTRAST with the unrighteous (unbelievers) who have not been washed, sanctified and justified and their sins remain - fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, homosexuals, sodomites, thieves, covetous, drunkards, revilers, extortioners will not inherit the kingdom of God. The unrighteous (unbelievers) continue to practice such sins. (Galatians 5:19-21)

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Need to read my other posts that came after. In this one that you quoted I was referring to the unbelieving among "God's people", as opposed to those among "God's people" who had faith.

But it doesn't exclude the self righteous among those who are not "God's people", ie, unbelieving people of the world.

Reactions: marks

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh lol! Good morning Liz. :)
I’m moving on from this thread. Waiting for and looking forward to his next video. I’m thinking I may not even participate but just watch it and leave. I think it’s not helpful to try to force people to see what they’re not yet ready to bear.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Oh lol! Good morning Liz. :)
I’m moving on from this thread. Waiting for and looking forward to his next video. I’m thinking I may not even participate but just watch it and leave. I think it’s not helpful to try to force people to see what they’re not yet ready to bear.
Hey and good morning to you SBG. :) I should have the new video up this morning. Yes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. But I know there are others who benefit...that aren't so vocal...who take the bible seriously enough to actually compare scripture with scripture...as opposed to right off any verse that contradicts a prior indoctrination.

Peace

Last edited:

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What absurdity. I instantly got out of debt - after many years.
Good analogy....that's how I'm seeing this as well, but didn't know how to put it into words. I've heard testimony of someone who came to the Lord and years later after much tribulation, the Lord healed him, filled him with the Spirit again and it seems wrought another change in him and placed him in his true calling, so to speak. He had come to a point, as a born again believer, of being on the brink of dying, at the end of himself, mentally and physically. It occurs to me that he doesn't happen to teach it as a doctrine though, he just testifies periodically and different portions of his story, that this is what the Lord did in his life.

God may have different plans for different people perhaps? Different callings based on His foreknowledge as well as His will, because circumstances of each life can be very unique? But I think our job in this life is that whatever we find ourselves dealing with to keep following and being faithful, keep seeking His will, and running hard after the Lord and He will keep growing us and leading us to where it is He wants us to be ultimately, until our time on earth runs out. He is the one leading each soul. In everything we are to give thanks for THIS is the will of God for us, I believe in the sense that He is sovereign. All the days ordained for us were written before one of them came to be, because the Lord already knows the end from the beginning and everything in between.

• Love
Reactions: APAK and marks

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Epi

Notice a few things here....first, the washing, the sanctification, and the justification are in the past tense. It's about something that took place in the past. What it doesn't say is that they are washed, are sanctified are justified. This refers to the sample of initial grace that starts us on the race of faith. We experience the initial grace for a short time in order that we might then seek the Lord for His fulness by a full measure of grace....at the throne of grace.

Second, notice that the washing, the sanctification, and the justification are NOT A PROCESS... but were received as a free gift of grace. What is a process is for our minds to grasp that we need to go to God with faith. So then the process is overcoming our own unbelief. The actual healing, translation, sanctification....is an instantaneous gift from the Lord.

Now to experience the salvation of Christ over sin one needs faith...since we are to be saved by grace through faith. But who has faith nowadays?

Last edited:

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@stunnedbygrace ......a second attempt. For some reason your post doesn't come up when I try to quote it.

Need to read my other posts that came after. In this one that you quoted I was referring to the unbelieving among "God's people", as opposed to those among "God's people" who had faith.

But it doesn't exclude the self righteous among those who are not "God's people", ie, unbelieving people of the world.

I call it a "kumbiya" spirit because I remember when I had that.....of the flesh, it's the spirit of the world, self righteousness masquerading as righteousness....not of the Holy Spirit...it's a light within that is really darkness.

And even as a believer I have been self righteous at times, we all can be. But I can catch myself now. Easy to discern, it stinks to high heaven, lol. All flesh is the same.

Last edited:

Lizbeth

Jul 22, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@stunnedbygrace ......a second attempt. For some reason your post doesn't come up when I try to quote it.

I call it a "kumbiya" spirit because I remember when I had that.....of the flesh, it's the spirit of the world, self righteousness masquerading as righteousness....not of the Holy Spirit...it's a light within that is really darkness.

And even as a believer I have been self righteous at times, we all can be. But I can catch myself now. Easy to discern, it stinks to high heaven, lol. All flesh is the same.
There is hope, because the bible says if we judge ourselves we will not be judged with the world.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Notice a few things here....first, the washing, the sanctification, and the justification are in the past tense. It's about something that took place in the past. What it doesn't say is that they are washed, are sanctified are justified. This refers to the sample of initial grace that starts us on the race of faith. We experience the initial grace for a short time in order that we might then seek the Lord for His fulness by a full measure of grace....at the throne of grace.

Second, notice that the washing, the sanctification, and the justification are NOT A PROCESS... but were received as a free gift of grace. What is a process is for our minds to grasp that we need to go to God with faith. So then the process is overcoming our own unbelief. The actual healing, translation, sanctification....is an instantaneous gift from the Lord.

Now to experience the salvation of Christ over sin one needs faith...since we are to be saved by grace through faith. But who has faith nowadays?
It did say they were washed, and sanctified and justified. ??

And certain of you were these! but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were declared righteous, in the name of the Lord Jesus, and in the Spirit of our God.”

They had been washed and sanctified from their former ways. Because of Jesus and the spirit of God. Same thing happens for believers today.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It did say they were washed, and sanctified and justified. ??

And certain of you were these! but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were declared righteous, in the name of the Lord Jesus, and in the Spirit of our God.”

They had been washed and sanctified from their former ways. Because of Jesus and the spirit of God.
Yes, they are no longer sinning like worldly people, indulging the flesh and carousing and such. BUT...from there many will become religious Pharisees....adding sin to sin...actually becoming worse than before...since carnal sinners get into the kingdom before religious sinners do.

It would be well to not be spiritually naive.

We can go from one ditch on the side the road (the carnal sin ditch) to the other (the religious hypocrisy ditch)...having only been on the right path long enough to find our way into the religious ditch. There are 3 kinds of sin listed in the bible. Just because we have overcome one kind of sin through having been once justified...doesn't mean we can't actually become worse than before, through religious hypocrisy.

Imagine the spiritual journey of a Pharisee. Beginning adulthood as a rebellious sinner...getting drunk, sleeping around, a young man has a crisis of conscience. He grows tired of his evil and repents...goes to the temple and gives his life to God. God will surely accept his repentance and justify him if it is in his heart. But then, he meets other religious people and begins to be trained by them...finally learning to look down on any who don't have his training and doctrines. So he becomes a hypocrite.

SO MANY modern believers are headed for rejection...but how many will take the bible's warnings seriously? IS it not time to get serious?

Getting ready to be attacked for speaking the truth now.....

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Imagine telling someone it’s okay to go ahead and take a little back for what they did to you in the past, or to go ahead and kill others by encouragement to be able to get money for it.

Lots of bad things out flesh desires to that needs held back for sure @Episkopos.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So. What will be the end of these people. And why?

There are 3 possibilities. Listen to Jesus on the 4 kinds of soil in the parable of the Sower...which is a key to understanding all the parables and teachings of Jesus.

Some will become religious hypocrites....some will remain humble among the righteous...and some will be translated to become saints.
Will they be in heaven with Christ who washed them with his blood.

Only the saints are translated into heaven to walk there by abiding IN Christ. There is no future heaven since God is coming to live with His people in earth in the next age. The blood is the life. The life flow from the Spirit causes NO impurity to enter into the one who lives FROM Christ.,
Is is their end unknown?
Only God knows what our end will be. There are going to be MANY surprises on judgment day. The ones who think they are justified will be cast away...and the ones who think they are lost...will be saved.

Read the parable of the Publican and the Pharisee. But read it right...with yourself as the religious one.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are 3 possibilities. Listen to Jesus on the 4 kinds of soil in the parable of the Sower...which is a key to understanding all the parables and teachings of Jesus.

Some will become religious hypocrites....some will remain humble among the righteous...and some will be translated to become saints.
The 4 kinds of soils are 4 responses to the gospel.

As you notice. Only one produced fruit. Meaning only one was actually washed, sanctified and justified.. the rest were not..
Only the saints are translated into heaven to walk there by abiding IN Christ. There is no future heaven since God is coming to live with His people in earth in the next age. The blood is the life. The life flow from the Spirit causes NO impurity from entering in,

Only God knows what our end will be. There are going to be MANY surprises on judgment day. The ones who think they are justified will be cast away...and the ones who think they are lost...will be saved.

Read the parable of the Publican and the Pharisee. But read it right...with yourself as the religious one.
So it seems to me you do believe these people were actually

washed - Made white as snow
Sanctified - Set apart from the world. Seperated by the adoption into Christs family. Having been rescued from satan’s family (through adam) Made saints through Christ
Justified - righteous. Given, like Abrama, the righteousness of Christ.

Paul said they were seen as sinners, guilty before God. Now they have been washed and are now made right with God.

I do not get how you can think these people were saved if they in the end they really were not made saints By Christ himself?

Me as the religious one?

Do you see me pumping my chest praising God I am not like the inner? Or you?

do you see me judging people. And holding myself up as Holy and Righteous when I am not? Or is that you?

Do you see me attacking the Tax collector because he got on His knees and cried out for Gods mercy? Or is that you?

Once again, You attribute your lack of understanding of a religious person. And try to impose it on someone who claims he is a sinner saved by the mercy of God. Solely on the fact he became poor in spirit and cried out to God.

Last edited:
Reactions: mailmandan

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The 4 kinds of soils are 4 responses to the gospel.

As you notice. Only one produced fruit. Meaning only one was actually washed, sanctified and justified.. the rest were not..

The opposite is true. Only one fully rejected the gospel. The other 3 go to church and were once sanctified and justified. You are completely missing who Jesus is and what He represents. Jesus is a REVOLUTIONARY. The first will be last and the last will be first. So your understanding is still upside-down. You refuse to be humble...so you will remain religious.
So it seems to me you do believe these people were actually

washed - Made white as snow
Sanctified - Set apart from the world. Seperated by the adoption into Christs family. Having been rescued from satan’s family (through adam) Made saints through Christ
Justified 0- righteous. Given, like Abrama, the righteousness of Christ.

You are confusing Abraham with Christ. Abraham was a man who lived many years before Jesus became a man. God considered him righteous because of his faith...but that is a human righteousness....not a divine one.
Paul said they were seen as sinners, guilty before God. Not they have been washed and are not made right with God.

I do not get how you can think these people were saved if they in the end they really were not made saints By Christ himself?

You have a very shallow understanding of God and His ways at this point. You are simply parroting what religious people are indoctrinated into. No truth there. You need to actually meet Him..then you will understand the truth.
Me as the religious one?

How dare I? right?
Do you see me pumping my chest praising God I am not like the inner? Or you?

do you see me judging people. And holding myself up as Holy and Righteous when I am not? Or is that you?

I see that all the time..as do others...but they won't say anything, because they do the very same things. If they condemn your attitude...then they condemn themselves. So they remain quiet...dishonest...and quiet.
Do you see me attacking the Tax collector because he got on His knees and cried out for Gods mercy? Or is that you?

You attack me and other for speaking the truth. And you are not being logical. Using your logic...how can you claim to be the tax collector when you have never collected taxes?
Once again, You attribute your lack of understanding of a religious person. And try to impose it on someone who claims he is a sinner saved by the mercy of God. Solely on the fact he became poor in spirit and cried out to God.
There is a narrow door....and then a narrow way. Many go through the door initially...but VERY FEW follow the narrow path.

As an experiment...draw two lines across a page leaving a small aperture in the middle...not joining them to form a single line. That is the narrow gate.

Now make other lines going through that aperture from many different angles. Very few of them are EXACTLY perpendicular to the aperture...most deviate off to the right and left. Only a very few go STRAIGHT through the aperture. So it is with people and the kingdom of God.

For those who have ears to hear...make your way STRAIGHT!