Satan - who was he in the book of Job?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do not worry, the Lord will chastise us if we have done wrong.

You better hope that's all He does.

Here's what blasphemy of the Holy Spirit means.

Mark 3
28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter;
29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”—
30 because they said, “He has an unclean spirit.”

You guys didn't say God had an unclean spirit, you said He was the unclean spirit.

You need to repent and walk away from this.

o

Reactions: Helen and Dcopymope

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mark 3
28 “Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they may utter;
29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation”—

You guys didn't say God had an unclean spirit, you said He was the unclean spirit.

o

Yep, let this scripture be a warning to anybody thinking of entertaining the idea that God and Satan are synonymous with each other. If you are willing to gamble on the sake of your salvation, then you go right ahead and spread this disease. You'll find out what happens to you on judgement day. :)

Reactions: Job and Helen

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Mark 3

o
Work out your own salvation, brother. For my salvation in not in your hands but him who created me.

If I have blaspheme God then let him deal with me, I invite it.

Have I blasphemed God?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God uses our own evil against us, rather than create evil it self.
God created us without evil in us, but He gave us the ability to disobey Him. This is what we call "free will" and men have been using it ever since. That first sin of disobedience established evil and it has been growing as mankind has been growing... without God.

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God created us without evil in us, but He gave us the ability to disobey Him. This is what we call "free will" and men have been using it ever since. That first sin of disobedience established evil and it has been growing as mankind has been growing... without God.
Yeah I get that, what of sin nature? It then must be a choice to act on sin and commit evil.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah I get that, what of sin nature? It then must be a choice to act on sin and commit evil.
Man from his creation had the ability to sin. The sinful nature is defined by the temptations described here:

"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." I John 2:16

Adam and Eve only faced one decision in the beginning, to obey God or not. We have to continuously face the same decision until we are finished. The decision will likely involved or more of the three described in the verse. Our sinful nature is our attraction to those three things. When we succumb to them it is sin.

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Man from his creation had the ability to sin. The sinful nature is defined by the temptations described here:

"For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." I John 2:16

Adam and Eve only faced one decision in the beginning, to obey God or not. We have to continuously face the same decision until we are finished. The decision will likely involved or more of the three described in the verse. Our sinful nature is our attraction to those three things. When we succumb to them it is sin.
Can anyone not succumb to that?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can anyone not succumb to that?
Jesus while tempted by all them [Heb 4:15] never failed to win the battles. He had the Word of God and the Holy Spirit. Because of His sacrifice the gift of the Holy Spirit to whosoever will, do we not have the same power on our side?

Yes, but there is a difference. We all already have a history of sin. Jesus never did. We not only have to overcome those temptations but we must also have all of our bad habits [which in themselves may not be sin] removed. Jesus never formed any bad habits.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He most certainly does NOT, how could you say such a thing. Who is it you believe in?

It's because he has no understanding in the ways of the Lord. I doubt if he even believes that God is real. He called Satan a fictitious being and claimed God was Satan. What does that tell you?

o

Reactions: pia

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus while tempted by all them [Heb 4:15] never failed to win the battles. He had the Word of God and the Holy Spirit. Because of His sacrifice the gift of the Holy Spirit to whosoever will, do we not have the same power on our side?

Yes, but there is a difference. We all already have a history of sin. Jesus never did. We not only have to overcome those temptations but we must also have all of our bad habits [which in themselves may not be sin] removed. Jesus never formed any bad habits.
He had a bad habit of loving us, which got him hung on a cross.

Boy, are people so afraid of the light. They'll do anything to run and hide from it.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
All knew that God had brought the evil upon Job.

All of Job’s afflictions were controlled by God with great precision:
the Sabeans, lightning, Chaldeans, tornado, leprosy.

Yes, God allowed it.. God was testing Job's faith, just as when he asked Abraham to sacrifice Issac. The point of Job's story is that faith was not just the result of blessings, but also superseded affliction. Just as the apostles held fast to their faith through trials and tribulation, Job kept the faith regardless of his predicament. We are here to over-come the world and the flesh, God allows Satan to use both of these to tempt us, just as he did with Christ in the wilderness. "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it" (1 Corinthians 10:13). We are all here to be tested and tempted, whereby God allows Satan a degree of latitude, but never complete providence.

Reactions: Helen

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
He is the One who brings trails (seen as evil) upon those He loves - many consider Him offering His Son in a sacrificial death as evil...are you one of those?
Division devils good at it, God gave Jesus a choice, He knew what HE was getting into and accepted it, just as those who are chosen by God have, and the ytoo have teh choice to accept or reject. God has no "evil" in Him, if He did He would be a hypocrit.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Many of your thoughts reveal a misunderstanding of the OP, most have strayed in this discussion. I had hoped rather than regurgitate the same old forum lines you would be taking uo the opportuntiy to ask those difficult questions of the book...many sound questions have gone unanswered.

The book of Job has shown us not once does Job attribute his afflictions to a rebel angel, or like being.

His declaration was simply: "The hand of God hath touched me". (Job 19:21 cf. 2:10).

Even Job's brethren, sisters and acquaintances acknowledged that the evil was brought upon Job by the LORD: "they bemoaned him, and comforted him over all the evil that the LORD had brought upon him." (Job 42:11).

We established the word "evil" is "trouble" or "calamity", although those witnessing Jobs sufferings would immediately associate those trials as evil.

We established the adversary (a human satan) was envious at Jobs prosperity and carried bitter thoughts toward his piety.

We looked at how Job had been hedged about with wealth and we ask why a fallen angel would care about Job's sheep and donkeys?

The whole premise of the opening scene is to prove the adversary wrong and to seek a conversion of heart.

Finally, you all need to agree that the book is silent on a fallen angel, supernatural agent of evil or any such mythological creature.

In Christ

F2F

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
So who was Job's Adversary? (called Satan)

He was a mortal member of the community, who harbored envious thoughts of Job’s prosperity and happiness, not unlike similar situations today. He was not the devil (false accuser) of apostate Christianity, or an evil angel in heaven. He was outwardly religious, but he came to the general assembly with his own form of worship, exactly like Cain, whose envy of Abel led to hatred and murder. He was a personal adversary to Job, who despised and rejected his humility and craven submission to God, and was bent on exposing His presumed hypocrisy, and bringing him to ruin.

The Lesson we take — We are not all equal now in talents or temporal possessions. We must trust God and believe that the angels know what they are doing in our individual situations, and that we are being trained by it for eternity.
Here's your OP F2F.
Frankly, I don't understand it.
WHO was a mortal member of the community?

Also, I'm getting very tired of those who say that God is mean to us to train us for something or other.

I train my cat. I'm not mean to him.

Maybe if you explained your OP a little more...
I do agree that God allowed satan to have his way with Job.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Many of your thoughts reveal a misunderstanding of the OP, most have strayed in this discussion. I had hoped rather than regurgitate the same old forum lines you would be taking uo the opportuntiy to ask those difficult questions of the book...many sound questions have gone unanswered.

The book of Job has shown us not once does Job attribute his afflictions to a rebel angel, or like being.

His declaration was simply: "The hand of God hath touched me". (Job 19:21 cf. 2:10).

Even Job's brethren, sisters and acquaintances acknowledged that the evil was brought upon Job by the LORD: "they bemoaned him, and comforted him over all the evil that the LORD had brought upon him." (Job 42:11).

We established the word "evil" is "trouble" or "calamity", although those witnessing Jobs sufferings would immediately associate those trials as evil.

We established the adversary (a human satan) was envious at Jobs prosperity and carried bitter thoughts toward his piety.

We looked at how Job had been hedged about with wealth and we ask why a fallen angel would care about Job's sheep and donkeys?

The whole premise of the opening scene is to prove the adversary wrong and to seek a conversion of heart.

Finally, you all need to agree that the book is silent on a fallen angel, supernatural agent of evil or any such mythological creature.

In Christ

F2F
Are you saying satan is also a mythological creature??

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The adversary was certainly Satan.. God allowed the evil, but Satan dished it out.
Yes but God is NOT a mixture of good and evil...If so we would have been created like that from the beginning, and wouldn't have needed to choose to ingest it.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

In Christ

F2F
They didn't have much knowledge at that time, as indeed a lot of religions do not today. A lot of people still think it is God killing their children and making people sick and so forth....Not ruddy like it !
God is not, nor has He ever been a contradiction to Himself.....

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's because he has no understanding in the ways of the Lord. I doubt if he even believes that God is real. He called Satan a fictitious being and claimed God was Satan. What does that tell you?

o
Yeahhh!!! I hadn't quite caught that....thanks

Reactions: Helen and Job

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He had a bad habit of loving us, which got him hung on a cross.

Boy, are people so afraid of the light. They'll do anything to run and hide from it.
But, God would not have called it a 'bad habit'. We really cannot understand even how He loves us without His help!