Saying Christianity isn't a religion is silly

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know the modern trend is to avoid saying Christianity is a religion and call it something else.

"It's not a religion. It's a relationship with God."

In fact, I heard this on a radio sermon today. It's been said many times. But can we be frank? Christianity is a religion and there's nothing wrong with that.

Merriam-Webster defines religion as follows:

Definition of religion

1: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
2a(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural
(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2b: the state of a religiousa nun in her 20th year of religion
3: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

The Word of God uses the term religion in this way:

James 1:27
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

The world gives the term religious a negative connotation. They usually use it in a bad way. But I say let them. It looks silly when we pretend that Christianity is not a religion and trip over ourselves just to appear more relevant to a God-hating culture.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The world gives the term religious a negative connotation. They usually use it in a bad way. But I say let them. It looks silly when we pretend that Christianity is not a religion and trip over ourselves just to appear more relevant to a God-hating culture.

yes ypu are right, but don't just leave it there look below

a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Atheism is also by this definition a religeon and should, by the separation of state from religeon not be in schools!

To those who say they have no faith, challenge them then to prove the fact that there is no God, no proof equals a belief based on faith.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know the modern trend is to avoid saying Christianity is a religion and call it something else.

In fact, I heard this on a radio sermon today. It's been said many times. But can we be frank? Christianity is a religion and there's nothing wrong with that.

Definition of religion

1: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Yes, this just shows you how either they are ignorant of what the Bible says, or they are attempting to re-interpret (re-write) the Bible to fit their own personal preferred belief. The best thing we can do is share this Scripture to them in love, and tell them the truth (like you did). If they don’t listen, we can just pray for them and move on (Hoping we planted a seed).

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Religion is what man does for God.....Christianity is what God has done for man....

Religion is Christianity’s Polar Opposite....Religion says “ DO” and Christianity says “ DONE “ —- Hardly the same thing.

The Tragedy Of Christianity is that fact them men have Turned Christianity into just another Religion—-It can be called “ Judanity”—— it’s Judaism with a little bit of Jesus sprinkled in...

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Definition of religion

I think many mean organized religions, that take away from God's true word as spoken in the Bible, like mega Churches that are there to just line their pockets and brainwash people, like the Osteens and Swaggarts and Bakers and to even a more extreme example, Jim Jones, David Koresh and so many others out there.

Christianity is a religion, it's a belief in Christ as the Son Of Jehovah who died for our sins, and Jehovah as the Almighty Creator.

Reactions: Nancy and Wynona

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. Your right, it can be seen as a religion.

The problem I have is when people in the realm of Christian culture make demands on what they must adhere to and accept.

Not encouraging them to seek what the Bible says, and to study if they do choose so…

I don’t like the idea of being behind a pulpit and shouting demands at people, or some story about their life and relating back to a message (cause I have seen where a sermon just get to be just talk and not about scripture as much anymore), I would like to hear truth and the biggest component in truth, isn’t in light shows and fog machines and tommy Bahamas shirts and really cool causal messages.

I like formats that teach scripture verse by verse to actually learn something while going along the chapters, and backing up scripture with other scripture to make a solid case and point.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Definition of religion

Some people are bothered by the word "religion." They see it as a man-made institution that preys on its underlings. But religion, in its purest form, is our attempt to do God's will. Christianity is that, or it would be if we did as Jesus taught us.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Religion is what man does for God.....Christianity is what God has done for man....

Religion is Christianity’s Polar Opposite....Religion says “ DO” and Christianity says “ DONE “ —- Hardly the same thing.

The Tragedy Of Christianity is that fact them men have Turned Christianity into just another Religion—-It can be called “ Judanity”—— it’s Judaism with a little bit of Jesus sprinkled in...
This is a good example of one of those Instagram Christianity quotes that have 0 biblical basis, even though they catch on like wildfire with people who don't read/study the Bible like they should.

Biblical Christianity involves devoting one's self to the service of God and fulfilling His will, so it is by definition, a religion. The fact that Jesus commanded His followers to strive towards moral perfection inherently makes Christianity a religion because it involves worshiping God and conducting themselves in a way that sets them apart from a world that is deceived by Satan.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact that Jesus commanded His followers to strive towards moral perfection

Not exactly......we are all “commanded” to * BE PERFECT* , if you choose to take that “ Morality”
Route for your Justification.....

Morality is a great thing, but Hell will be Replete with “ Moral” Good Neighbor Sams......I am the True “Chief Of Sinners” , But because of my Trust in Jesus ALONE as my Savior, God takes my Trust and uses it for His basis to “ IMPUTE “ me with the very Righteous of Hus Son

Looking for Another “ Instagram” thingy ? Here’s a great one ——

“Jesus took MY Sin and in turn gave ME His Righteousness ! “ Simply because I did God’s Will—- I BELIEVED in the ONE that He sent”.......

Jesus never preached morality or anything else for Salvation—- He preached HIMSELF .....the Sing has it right, for Salvation it’s “ NOTHING But The Blood” ......If you don’t truly REST in His Shed Blood ALONE for your Salvation, please tear out that Song from your Hymnal.....God abhors the singing of hypocrites who don’t believe what they sing....

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All Religions have one thing in common...they are ALL attempts to “ clean themselves up “ and make themselves “ Worthy” Of Heaven....

Christianity declares that we are “ MADE” Worthy by the Blood Of The Lamb ...

Men of All Religions have a Sin Problem That must be dealt with.....Only Christianity gets the job done , and it’s NOT by the “ Good Works” That people do .....it’s done NOT by DOING the “ ORDERS” Of Religions—it’s done by BELIEVING a Promise Of God ......Like this one— “ All Of Those That BELIEVE in Me ALREADY HAVE Eternal Life and shall NEVER come under Condemnation”

Show me any “Religion” that relies on Promises as opposed to relying on its own particular Tenants to make yourself “ good enough” to merit their “ Nirvana” or whatever.....Christianity is Unique. Without Question.....
The “ Religious” can take their Religion with them to Hell...

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Are there not things man owes to God?
For creating him?
For redeeming him?
For sanctifying him in the sacraments of the church?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity is best defined not as a religion but as a relationship with a Person, the Lord Jesus Christ. It is possible to be "religious" but not right with God. Just look at the Pharisees. Religion apart from a relationship with Jesus Christ is in vain.

James 1:26 - If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless. This man's religion is vain, empty, devoid of power, lacking in content, nonproductive, dead and of no eternal value. James 1:27 - Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Now there is nothing wrong with "pure and undefiled religion" but there is certainly something wrong with impure and defiled religion.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does one know if they even have a relationship with the Lord?

1 John 2:3-4 KJV
[3] “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. [4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.”

1 John 4:7-8 KJV
[7] “Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. [8] He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.”

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All Religions have one thing in common...they are ALL attempts to “ clean themselves up “ and make themselves “ Worthy” Of Heaven....

Christianity declares that we are “ MADE” Worthy by the Blood Of The Lamb ...

Men of All Religions have a Sin Problem That must be dealt with.....Only Christianity gets the job done , and it’s NOT by the “ Good Works” That people do .....it’s done NOT by DOING the “ ORDERS” Of Religions—it’s done by BELIEVING a Promise Of God ......Like this one— “ All Of Those That BELIEVE in Me ALREADY HAVE Eternal Life and shall NEVER come under Condemnation”

Show me any “Religion” that relies on Promises as opposed to relying on its own particular Tenants to make yourself “ good enough” to merit their “ Nirvana” or whatever.....Christianity is Unique. Without Question.....
The “ Religious” can take their Religion with them to Hell...
James 1:27 KJV
“Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.”

Reactions: Wynona and Jim B

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity is best defined not as a religion but as a relationship with a Person, the Lord Jesus Christ. It is possible to be "religious" but not right with God. Just look at the Pharisees. Religion apart from a relationship with Jesus Christ is in vain.

James 1:26 - If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless. This man's religion is vain, empty, devoid of power, lacking in content, nonproductive, dead and of no eternal value. James 1:27 - Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Now there is nothing wrong with "pure and undefiled religion" but there is certainly something wrong with impure and defiled religion.
You contradict yourself yet again. You said Christianity is not best defined as a religion and yet even the Bible speaks of a pure religion and you even admit to that. If the Bible uses the word religion in a positive way then it is best to not to speak against that word (Seeing it does come from God's Holy Word).

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity is a World Religion...
Amen .

This term is so fashionable I'm surprised it has NOT been tagged by a " House of Versace, or any of the fashion coutures ".

It does not in reality mean to be a follower of Christ anymore but is JUST A RELIGION, same as Islam IMO.

The reason I say this is bc soooooo many ppl claim to be "christian" and DO NOT nor have ever known God in a personal relationship. They live like wicked and unbelieving ppl.

Reactions: mailmandan