Saying Christianity isn't a religion is silly

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we were to always post context, then my posts would be too long for many people to even read.
Some Christians here already have a problem with the length of some of my posts at times.
Also, by the context alone is not always sufficient in every case, either. In some cases, you also have to provide cross references in other parts of the Bible that teach a similar truth or thing.

In addition, (while I love you in Jesus), you have a problem with me quoting actual verses and passages with no context; But you give "likes" to other users here (like mailmandan) who do not even quote the actual verses at times (but he just referred to the verse in passing with him using his own words). So your not actually being fair handed here. Mailmandan does not alway post the context, either (and you have given likes to his posts). So why pick on me?

Spelling it out to you I......do....not....like....the...attitude...you...project....in.....
your.......postings.

You seem to be the one cherry picking scriptures. Your post WOULD NOT be too long if it were just scripture ,not your interpretation -& that was ALL you posted.

Dan & I go back aways somewhere else. I have known him to stand where he believes even when I disagree with him.
He does not come after me in an attack as if I'm missing the mark, you do.

Half donkeying a post is a discredit to the words of My God !

Last edited:

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not telling YOU @Bible Highlighter , not to use this forum but I Am Telling you NOT to address me anymore.!

Ignore is for my benefit but if I ignore all that are out of context and in your face ppl this place might be BLANK to me when I visit.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spelling it out to you I......do....not....like....the...attitude...you...project....in.....
your.......postings.

You seem to be the one cherry picking scriptures. Your post WOULD NOT be too long if it were just scripture ,not your interpretation -& that was ALL you posted.

Dan & I go back aways somewhere else. I have known him to stand where he believes even when I disagree with him.
He does not come after me in an attack as if I'm missing the mark, you do.

Half donkeying a post is a discredit to the words of My God !
I am just showing you my belief according to Scripture. It’s not personal by any means.

You said I have cherry picked Scripture and you did not prove that is the case. You just posted the context but you have not demonstrated any points as to how that proves you are correct. I provided cross reference verses in rebuttal and you have chosen to just now ignore it.

As for the attitude I project while posting that you don’t like: Can you be more specific? Provide exact words in one of my posts along with a post #?

I will be happy to fix it if it comes off in a way that is not biblical or loving.

Keep in mind you have falsely accused me with no apology. You basically implied using other words that I don’t also ask God for the understanding on His Word (When that’s not the case). You also basically said you believe I am entirely self taught (when I have learned from other Christians). Mailmandan (your buddy) has falsely accused me in being a spiritual narcissist (Which is still a narcissist) and when I pointed out to him what a narcissist was (According to one article), he doubled down and continued to falsely accuse me (regardless of the facts). So if anything, I should be the one who should be upset, but I am not. For I love you both in the name of Jesus Christ.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't prove anything to a 'spiritual narcissist' who only see's what he wants to see. I'm really not interested in your EISEGESIS or your ridiculous, repetitive straw man arguments. You sound more like a lawyer than a Berean.
May the Lord bless you.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am just showing you my belief according to Scripture. It’s not personal by any means.

You said I have cherry picked Scripture and you did not prove that is the case. You just posted the context but you have not demonstrated any points as to how that proves you are correct. I provided cross reference verses in rebuttal and you have chosen to just now ignore it.

As for the attitude I project while posting that you don’t like: Can you be more specific? Provide exact words in one of my posts along with a post #?

I will be happy to fix it if it comes off in a way that is not biblical or loving.

Keep in mind you have falsely accused me with no apology. You basically implied using other words that I don’t also ask God for the understanding on His Word (When that’s not the case). You also basically said you believe I am entirely self taught (when I have learned from other Christians). Mailmandan (your buddy) has falsely accused me in being a spiritual narcissist (Which is still a narcissist) and when I pointed out to him what a narcissist was (According to one article), he doubled down and continued to falsely accuse me (regardless of the facts). So if anything, I should be the one who should be upset, but I am not. For I love you both in the name of Jesus Christ.

I am sorry___________________ you can not see for yourself what I am saying. It was meant to be constructive.

Accusers and only one accuser of the brethren comes before God to accuse ppl,not I.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE REFRAIN ......YOURSELF FROM COMMUNICATING WITH ME AT ALL.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am sorry___________________ you can not see for yourself what I am saying. It was meant to be constructive.

Accusers and only one accuser of the brethren comes before God to accuse ppl,not I.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE REFRAIN ......YOURSELF FROM COMMUNICATING WITH ME AT ALL.
What is in the fill in the blank?

Anyways, this is a public forum and I have a right to speak up and defend myself.

Everyone here can read the conversation for themselves and see I have been falsely accused. If you believe I have done so with you, I would like to know where (because I don’t want to accuse people falsely because that would be a salvation issue to me). My goal is to share Scripture on this topic and now it has turned into a mud slinging match. I love you in Christ, but I don’t like the popular version of Christianity promoted today.

Tell you what. I will re-read through the thread and see if any of my posts could be read in the wrong way. But I don’t believe I falsely accused anyone.

May God bless you.

Last edited:

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mind has been forced, I will see you no more!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
silly when we pretend that Christianity is not a religion and trip over ourselves just to appear more relevant to a God-hating culture.

God becoming a man isn't in your Dictionary.
Why?
Because Christianity is not a religion.
That's why God becoming one of us to save all of us is not in a "secular" dictionary.
Never look to secular sources to learn about Spirituality.
That's a fail = 100% of the time, Wynona.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Behold just stated, God becoming " ONE OF US TO SAVE ALL OF US " is awesome.

May ALL repent & receive God and what his GREAT love has done for us.

• Love
Reactions: mailmandan

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God becoming a man isn't in your Dictionary.
Why?
Because Christianity is not a religion.
That's why God becoming one of us to save all of us is not in a "secular" dictionary.
Never look to secular sources to learn about Spirituality.
That's a fail = 100% of the time, Wynona.
What??

Religion is good according to the Bible specifically in James.

If Im not contending a lot its because I feel like people don't read my initial post. I think people just read the title of the thread and post whatever they want based on that.

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What??

Religion is good according to the Bible specifically in James.

If Im not contending a lot its because I feel like people don't read my initial post. I think people just read the title of the thread and post whatever they want based on that.

James made the point that “ pure religion” was demonstrated by helping others ....indeed, that is a good thing....it agrees perfectly with the “ Law Of Christ” which is to “ Take on the Burdens Of Others”...... Neither James OR Jesus said that the carrying- out of those undeniably good things were the recipe for Salvation....THAT “ Recipe” is putting your Trust in Jesus to Save you....the Good and Pure Religious Acts That James and Jesus stressed Will Follow If you continue your Christian Walk the same way that you started it —- FAITH!

Reactions: mailmandan

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know the modern trend is to avoid saying Christianity is a religion and call it something else.

"It's not a religion. It's a relationship with God."

In fact, I heard this on a radio sermon today. It's been said many times. But can we be frank? Christianity is a religion and there's nothing wrong with that.

Merriam-Webster defines religion as follows:

Definition of religion

1: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
2a(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural
(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2b: the state of a religiousa nun in her 20th year of religion
3: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

The Word of God uses the term religion in this way:

James 1:27
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

The world gives the term religious a negative connotation. They usually use it in a bad way. But I say let them. It looks silly when we pretend that Christianity is not a religion and trip over ourselves just to appear more relevant to a God-hating culture.
Yes! There is a very big difference between Christ-ianity and church-ianity. Unfortunately, not many can discern the difference.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes! There is a very big difference between Christ-ianity and church-ianity. Unfortunately, not many can discern the difference.
My husband and I came up with a term for things commonly taught in church that are not biblical. We call them "churchisms".

Unfortunately for some churches, the phrase "We don't like religion. Were different." Is just another churchism.

Reactions: Earburner

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My husband and I came up with a term for things commonly taught in church that are not biblical. We call them "churchisms".

Unfortunately for some churches, the phrase "We don't like religion. Were different." Is just another churchism.
Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with worship services doing things in an orderly manner. I support that very much. But, as you say, is it biblical, or is it the preaching and teachings of a denominational platform, attempting to maintain or push forth a church's founding, in the form of man made traditions?

Here is an example that I picked at random.

1 Cor. 2
[5] That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wynona

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm born from above, born again, Child of God, and Jesus is my friend. No religion necessary. I walk through this life as a believer, in Christ Jesus my Savior. So I refer to myself as a believer.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
The distinction is made in many a Christian's mind when they encounter a musty old religious spirit.

Vain repetition is fed to hungry sheep, who are placated by man made traditions. Though they wander in the valley of dry bones, they do not seek the living water. The voice of the Shepard is forgotten. The works of God are hindered due to unbelief.

God prefers order, but they have ordered him out. The women gather to gossip. Their husband's hearts are not present. Hearts are hardened, their tears have all dried up.

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know the modern trend is to avoid saying Christianity is a religion and call it something else.

"It's not a religion. It's a relationship with God."

In fact, I heard this on a radio sermon today. It's been said many times. But can we be frank? Christianity is a religion and there's nothing wrong with that.

Merriam-Webster defines religion as follows:

Definition of religion

1: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
2a(1): the service and worship of God or the supernatural
(2): commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2b: the state of a religiousa nun in her 20th year of religion
3: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

The Word of God uses the term religion in this way:

James 1:27
27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

The world gives the term religious a negative connotation. They usually use it in a bad way. But I say let them. It looks silly when we pretend that Christianity is not a religion and trip over ourselves just to appear more relevant to a God-hating culture.
I guess I have never said that Christianity is not a religion; and I guess I have never considered it as silly or negative to do so...because, in most cases I understand the claim to be only part of what one means to say. So, yes, saying only part--that would be "silly" or worse.

Considering then, that "Christianity is not a religion but a relationship--" to be only part, what then should we say in full?

Of course the part is only part for a couple of reasons:
  1. That a short or quick answer or statement is all that opportunity allows. which is only offered as a hook by fishers of men, and not the whole bait.
  2. Or rather in the way that it is often perceived and misunderstood, as just another christianese token thrown out to the poor, like "I'll pray for you."
But what more might be offered? Perhaps... "There are many religions, but only one truth." But then we go from sounding silly to sounding arrogant.

Perhaps then, it is the delivery, the tossing of tokens, as if pearls to swine, rather than lifelines which we then hold secure for as long as it takes...not discounting the occasional kind word in passing.

Much to think about.

Reactions: Wynona