Secular legal question

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's a neighbor in a HOA housing community that abuts my property. He's a serial offender as an illegal dumper of his household renovations discards and garbage on the now empty household lot to the east of his property.
We're talking years of dumping there.

Now he's taken to start his discards on the small strip of my property that abuts his fence line.

I took pictures and drove to his house to request he remove the items. He refused to come to the door but his wife said they'd remove the items.
As I was turning around to leave their culdesac he appeared and in a rage said I'm stupid, it isn't my property, it is, and he's not moving anything.

What he does not care about is the lot he dumps on isn't his property.

This guy installed a fence around his home last year. And put a gate at the back part that allows him to trespass on my land, and dump on that neighbors empty lot so to continue dumping.

Two weeks ago he opened his gate during a graduation party for his son. I came home from work for a quick lunch and 5 parked cars were blocking the length of my driveway. Two women were in lawn chairs sitting in my drive!

My question is, besides calling the police to report his illegal dumping on my land, can I move to have that gate removed so he can no longer trespass?

I contacted the HOA via email and sent pictures of his dumping on both lots but haven't heard anything back.

The minute he opens his gate and steps through he's on my land.

Any legal advice is appreciated. Especially if there's a way to get a lawyer to act on a contingency basis. I'm not flush with cash.

Thank you for reading this. And for any advice or prayers.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There's a neighbor in a HOA housing community that abuts my property. He's a serial offender as an illegal dumper of his household renovations discards and garbage on the now empty household lot to the east of his property.

Now he's taken to start his discards on the small strip of my property that abuts his fence line.

I took pictures and drove to his house to request he remove the items. He refused to come to the door but his wife said they'd remove the items.
As I was turning around to leave their culdesac he appeared and in a rage said I'm stupid, it isn't my property, it is, and he's not moving anything.

This guy installed a fence around his home last year. And put a gate at the back part that allows him to trespass on my land, and dump on that neighbors empty lot so to continue dumping.

Two weeks ago he opened his gate during a graduation party for his son. I came home from work for a quick lunch and 5 parked cars were blocking the length of my driveway. Two women were in lawn chairs sitting in my drive!

My question is, besides calling the police to report his illegal dumping on my land, can I move to have that gate removed so he can no longer trespass?

I contacted the HOA via email and sent pictures of his dumping on both lots but haven't heard anything back.

Any legal advice is appreciated. Especially if there's a way to get a lawyer to act on a contingency basis. I'm not flush with cash.

I can't answer for the USA but in NZ anything that impinges on the right of a property owner or tenants to the fair use and enjoyment of their premises is an offence. We have local government authorities (called Councils) that can issue abatement notices. If these are ignored they initiate court proceedings.

As well as this we have a long running consumer advocate TV program called Fair Go that pursues all sorts of issues that people have, filming and investigating disputes, and warning the public about scoundrels. They have a good record of getting a fair deal for consumers.

I engage in spiritual warfare and intercession whenever our neighbours act up.

Reactions: ButterflyJones

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Try contacting the city, especially about his dumping items on your lot and others'.

You can phone city hall about it if you don't have a council member representing your district.

Also, if you do need a lawyer, check out free legal aid. But most cities don't allow dumping and will get after him about doing that.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Try contacting the city, especially about his dumping items on your lot and others'.

You can phone city hall about it if you don't have a council member representing your district.

Also, if you do need a lawyer, check out free legal aid. But most cities don't allow dumping and will get after him about doing that.
Thank you.

Reactions: Debp

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My advice would be to consult your local governing authorities about this issue. That would be the best route and would be legally done. Also if you have anything to turn in, pictures, and writing of times of when this had occurred would also leave you with a paper trial which is able to confirm these troubles.

Reactions: ButterflyJones

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi BFJ—

You won’t find an attorney will to work pro bono on something like this. Best advice I can offer is as others have suggested — report the activity to your local authorities… police, district council member or alderman, etc.

One suggestion would be to install an inexpensive security camera to capture and document the illegal activity. This would be extremely helpful when you plead your case to others. It changes the dynamic from hearsay to hard evidence.

Last edited:

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi BFJ—

You won’t find an attorney will to work pro bono on something like this. Best advice I can offer is as others have suggested — report the activity to your local authorities… police, district council member or alderman, etc.

One suggestion would be to install an inexpensive security camera to capture and document the illegal activity. This would be extremely helpful when you plead your case to others. It changes the dynamic from hearsay to hard evidence.

Thank you.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just drive a couple of your own posts on your own property and hang some wire fencing in front of his gate. If He damages it--then call the cops.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just drive a couple of your own posts on your own property and hang some wire fencing in front of his gate. If He damages it--then call the cops.
Would that be legal?
Would I have to have proof that's my piece of land?

Put a big no trespassing sign on it.

I had a neighbor years ago in a different state that posted their property:

NO TRESPASSING! VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT! SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN!
All the vandalism he had suffered through suddenly stopped . Literate vandals. Always a good thing. :joyful:

• Haha
Reactions: Debp

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would that be legal?
Would I have to have proof that's my piece of land?

Put a big no trespassing sign on it.

I had a neighbor years ago in a different state that posted their property:

NO TRESPASSING! VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT! SURVIVORS WILL BE SHOT AGAIN!
All the vandalism he had suffered through suddenly stopped . Literate vandals. Always a good thing. :joyful:

If you have a deed for your property, you have proof. If it is disputed, the legal system will establish if your property is actually your property. Meanwhile, if you are quite certain that it is your property, you can do what ever you want on it within the laws of your state, city, etc.. Also, if you have HOA regulations to comply with according to your purchase agreement of the property, you will want to check with them about putting up a "trellis" (fence). ;)

Last edited:

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you have a deed for your property, you have proof. If it is disputed, the legal system will establish if your property is actually your property. Meanwhile, if you are quite certain that it is your property, you can do what ever you want on it within the laws of you state, city, etc.. Also, if you have HOA regulations to comply with according to you purchase agreement of the property, you will want to check with them about putting up a "trellis" (fence). ;)
Awesome. Thank you.:D

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course.... another effective way of using the video capture, if you don't get any action from the local police, is a good old public-shaming. Post the video on a neighborhood-community forum or Facebook with a post like--- "What's wrong with people???"
I will. He obviously has no ethics or character, so at least it will inform his neighbors.

And, he's a nurse at a home and hospital for the mentally ill. I feel for them. When he has no respect for neighbors...

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:disrelieved:
I just found this. My sister told me she had posted something in a Jesus community for advice to help with the neighbor issue.

I never knew the name of that site.
Sorry for a double post. Grateful to have found a piece of her writing online.

God Bless.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Call a surveyor to stake your property lines. If that's your property. Then the neighbor will know and you'll have proof to show police. Then put a fence up, its your property.

Reactions: Cassandra

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:disrelieved:
I just found this. My sister told me she had posted something in a Jesus community for advice to help with the neighbor issue.

I never knew the name of that site.
Sorry for a double post. Grateful to have found a piece of her writing online.

God Bless.
Is she gone from us?

Much love!

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Call a surveyor to stake your property lines. If that's your property. Then the neighbor will know and you'll have proof to show police. Then put a fence up, its your property.
Picking up where Diana left off.
Would the state survey? I'd need a permit to put up a fence wouldn't I?

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Picking up where Diana left off.
Would the state survey? I'd need a permit to put up a fence wouldn't I?

All the state will do, is to bring a copy of the property lines and conduct a simple visual..
Surveyors don't cost too much. They do house lines every day.

The County or City will have someone come out to look at illegal dumping on the lot.

One thing about nurses and mental patients ......eventually they start acting like their patients ....

Reactions: BlessedPeace

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the state will do, is to bring a copy of the property lines and conduct a simple visual..
Surveyors don't cost too much. They do house lines every day.

The County or City will have someone come out to look at illegal dumping on the lot.

One thing about nurses and mental patients ......eventually they start acting like their patients ....
Would their simple visual allow me to install a no trespassing sign and a partial fence?

This neighbor installed a north facing gate that when he steps through has him trespassing on my property.

Ideally, I'd love to have him replace the gate with a fence panel.

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the property is not his .....he has no rights to a gate. I would put trail cams up and record him when he dumps.......Dumping is illegal ......Have the county arrest him then charge him for the cleanup.

Reactions: BlessedPeace