1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sell Your Possessions and Properties

Discussion in 'Christian Theology Forum' started by biloqewu, Feb 8, 2019.

1. aspen

aspen “"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I have done it.

2. Enoch111

Enoch111 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    The Nanny State.

3. friend of

friend of Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Proverbs 30:7-9

7“Two things I ask of you, Lord;
    do not refuse me before I die:
    8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
    give me neither poverty nor riches,
    but give me only my daily bread.
    9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the Lord?'
    Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God.

justbyfaith and mjrhealth like this.
  4. mjrhealth

mjrhealth Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Australia
    We love to boast, all I have to boast is Christ, and for that I am truly thankful..

Jun2u likes this.
  5. Phoneman777

Phoneman777 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

"ByGrace" likes this.
  6. Phoneman777

Phoneman777 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Of course you don't mean even selling off the clothes on our back so that the poor can have clothes on their back.

What you mean is "stored up riches on Earth" should be put in service for the cause of Christ. I just can't accept that God is happy with Christians leaving a million sitting in the bank while they live off the interest each month.

7. biloqewu

biloqewu Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Sell your possessions was for everyone, which is why the disciples left everything, and also why the early believers sold their possessions and properties. This command isn't only for the rich, it is for everyone.

8. biloqewu

biloqewu Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    So therefore every one of you who does not give up all that he himself possesses, is not able to be my disciple.
    Luke 14:33

9. biloqewu

biloqewu Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    It is because these people don't want to sell their possessions, and worst of all, they don't want to do good works. They are fruitless believers, and that is why they resist this teaching.

10. biloqewu

biloqewu Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I already explained that "sell your possessions" means reduce yourself to necessities, not sell absolutely everything even the clothes on your back. Not even the apostles did this, and we know that the early believers remained in houses. You deliberately choose to misinterpret this to then negate "reduce yourself to necessities", because ultimately, you don't want to.

11. biloqewu

biloqewu Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You cannot achieve deliverance if you are not a follower of the Messiah.

12. Dave L

Dave L Guest

If you give legalistically, it is nothing more than the Pharisees did. If love compels you to give, you have treasure in heaven.

13. biloqewu

biloqewu Active Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The Pharisees never gave though, why do you think the Messiah gave them the example of the good Samaritan, or John the Baptist told them to "bear fruit worthy of repentance"? They were focused on making their tzitzit long, and their tefillin wide, yet they neglected the weightier matters of the Torah, which were matters of love and mercy, which were these commands, "love your neighbor as yourself" and "if you see your brother in need give him sufficient to his need". It is good works that God wants us to do, which is why he commands it. It is not optional. And he also wants us to love giving, not grudge about it. So if you give grudgingly, or refuse to give, then your heart is not in the right place, and that is one reason why many are prevented from entering the kingdom of God, because they do not bear good fruit, which we are all required to produce. Any tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down. As opposed to evil works, God wants us to be rich in good works, to be instruments of righteousness. If you do not bear good works, and ignore the call of the poor, you are useless to the Master, and your belief is null and void.

14. Dave L

Dave L Guest

Motive is everything. And love is the only true motive.

15. justbyfaith

justbyfaith Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    "All" means "all". You need to sell your computer, your phone, and your bicycle.

This word of Jesus is His way of setting forth an impossible requirement so that we will come into the kingdom through the proper channels: through faith in Him, rather than by trusting in our works.

You are not being faithful to the text. Better explain this again, a little bit clearer. I am not going to read your Bible Study. So bring your teaching to the forefront.

Good works are not mandatory for salvation. See Romans 4:6, Romans 11:5-6, Titus 3:5, Ephesians 2:8-9.

They will normally result out of a true salvation; but that is a different thing.

Okay, if we do not bear good fruit we will be cut off from the vine and cast into the fire; however your teaching misses out on something very important: the way that we bear fruit does not have to do with an effort to bear good fruit. We bear fruit because we are connected to the vine and drawing up nourishment from the vine. We have a relationship with Jesus Christ; we are connected to Him: the Spirit dwells within us, and therefore the Spirit, like the sap or blood of the plant, flows to the end of us as branches and fruit develops as the result. But our fruit does not develop as a result of the letter of the law. Because we have a relationship with Jesus we are obedient to the spirit of the law, Romans 7:6. But the letter kills and the spirit gives life, 2 Corinthians 3:6.

So then, if we do not bear good fruit, it is the sure sign that we are not abiding in the vine. But those who see the fruit in others and try to copy it are only going to produce plastic fruit.

Again I say, bearing the right kind of fruit is the result of abiding in the vine. We do this by staying in the word of the Lord and praying; we draw up nourishment from the vine in the doing of this. It is also called spiritual breathing. When we breathe spiritually, we will be alive; and the works that God has before prepared for us to do will be walked in. However this is not dictated by other people, but by the Holy Spirit who dwells within every believer.

The whole point of the original poster seems to be that a man is condemned if he does not do the works that he himself has placed it on himself to do. He is trying to impose on other people as required a behaviour that is not required by the scripture for salvation. It should be clear from scripture the following principle:

Rom 14:4, Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

The Bible tells us to "Be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus." (2 Timothy 2:2)

This teaching is not about grace but is a legalistic imposition that, if believed, will deter a great number of people from coming into the faith of Jesus Christ.

16. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    United States Minor Outlying Islands
    and it is abundantly obvious imo :)

aspen likes this.
  17. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    Ha Whom do you imagine is feeding you right now lol

aspen likes this.
  18. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    Ha, I don't think so wadr, imo it just needs to be understood better, not really even a puzzle imo, "recognize and have faith in God as your source, rather than riches" or similar?

19. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    Don't be deceived, little children

20. bbyrd009

bbyrd009 Groper

Faith:
    Christian
    The same state that in other forums you will pledge allegiance to lol.
    What if the believer happens to not be in the US though, what then
    I mean see how firmly egocentric our perspectives usually are?