Serious question...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know this is probably off topic, but I will ask anyways. I have this one family member that blames everything on coffee. I tell him about my cystic fibrosis problems and they are many that come up not to mention my mental state isn't so well these days. But his answer is that all of my problems would go away if I just gave up the coffee. And I do see the interesting non factual assessment of my health problems. Sometimes I just want to hear the scientific facts but that's what I get.

He doesn't smoke and whenever anyone that smokes has some random health problem he always says "it's because you smoke". Sometimes I feel stupider talking to him, so the question I have is "can talking to someone lower your IQ"? I seriously need to know because I don't think I can afford to lose anymore IQ points.
It occurs to me that IQ is the result of a test you take. I can't remember the questions they ask, so I can't answer whether or not being fed wrong information all your life would lower your result if you take that test.

But if you define IQ as how smart you are, I wouldn't think talking to someone is going to lower your IQ.

I gave up caffeine and nicotine and am glad I did.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dev
Sounds like this family isn’t likely to affect your IQ but does affect how you feel about yourself. When I read about the grape juice, well some fruit will affect your stomach, and we are all individuals and our digestive systems will be impacted in different ways. When people offer advice, which they always do, it’s best to weigh up whether there is any truth in it , but it doesn’t mean that you have to follow it or consider yourself stupid.
We all know that coffee , and tea ( in my case being in the U.K. ) has caffeine in it, and that can and does affect our health at times. It’s also true that it is addictive. However to attribute everything to these two things is not helpful. I know that if I stop taking tea, or coffee my body will go through withdrawal for about two weeks ( headaches ) so that tells me there are toxins in both. However drinking both tea and coffee also relaxes me , so it helps with stress ( which also can have a knock on effect on health )
Some People are very opinionated with some things, it sounds as if you need this relative to talk to but equally you perhaps need to find a way of accepting that he is going to always blame certain things but allow it to go over your head and not allow his words or views to second guess yourself.
My dad was very critical of so many people, it use to drive me nuts at times to the point that it use to drain me. In the end accepting that this was his way and he wasn’t ever going to change, and also understanding that it showed a vulnerability ( it boosted him to think he was better than others because he didn’t really feel very good about himself on the inside )
Don’t let this person define who you are ……..or cause you to second guess yourself. Xxx

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I know this is probably off topic, but I will ask anyways. I have this one family member that blames everything on coffee. I tell him about my cystic fibrosis problems and they are many that come up not to mention my mental state isn't so well these days. But his answer is that all of my problems would go away if I just gave up the coffee. And I do see the interesting non factual assessment of my health problems. Sometimes I just want to hear the scientific facts but that's what I get.

He doesn't smoke and whenever anyone that smokes has some random health problem he always says "it's because you smoke". Sometimes I feel stupider talking to him, so the question I have is "can talking to someone lower your IQ"? I seriously need to know because I don't think I can afford to lose anymore IQ points.
I doubt it, you may act stupider to fit in better around them, but that doesn't make it so.

Reactions: dev553344

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I doubt it, you may act stupider to fit in better around them, but that doesn't make it so.
clowns act , lambs dont . hope that helps . in fact it does make us STUPIED to act stupied to FIT IN
cause the last time i checked when were we to FIT IN . just a friendly reminder . now raise those hands my friend .
IT BE LORD praising time . Time we expose the WHORE and her religoin too . cause that HO aint slowing down .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
clowns act , lambs dont . hope that helps . in fact it does make us STUPIED to act stupied to FIT IN
cause the last time i checked when were we to FIT IN . just a friendly reminder . now raise those hands my friend .
IT BE LORD praising time . Time we expose the WHORE and her religoin too . cause that HO aint slowing down .
I do not mean put of a facde, but to relax around others. It's nice to just turn off the brain now and then.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not mean put of a facde, but to relax around others. It's nice to just turn off the brain now and then.
Keep the mind stayed upon the Lord . In times often and specially in these last moments on earth
MANY will be the distractions that come to take the mind off of CHRIST and unto the ways of the world .
AND WE MUST NOT ever once heed that temptation . I am watching entire whole houses
become enamoured as one under the lie of a love that came of the world and of the dragon to simply unify
them all under common ground and to believe the lie .
What is the lie .....................that it is no longer necessary to have believed on JESUS CHRIST but rather
to just have this sin accepting false love one towards another . a love that not only wont correct the errors of the wicked
but even leadeth them to the acceptance of said sins . AND IT GROWS LIKE A WILD MUSHROOM in these days .

Reactions: Marvelloustime