Seventh-day Adventist

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was an account of a vision depicting future events—not a prediction.

Early Writings : Page 64​

Mark of the Beast​

In a view given June 27, 1850, my accompanying angel said, "Time is almost finished. Do you reflect the lovely image of Jesus as you should?" Then I was pointed to the earth and saw that there would have to be a getting ready among those who have of late embraced the third angel's message. Said the angel, "Get ready, get ready, get ready. Ye will have to die a greater death to the world than ye have ever yet died." I saw that there was a great work to do for them and but little time in which to do it.

Then I saw that the seven last plagues were soon to be poured out upon those who have no shelter; yet the world regarded them no more than they would so many drops of water that were about to fall. I was then made capable of enduring the awful sight of the seven last plagues, the wrath of God. I saw that His anger was dreadful and terrible, and if He should stretch forth His hand, or lift it in anger, the inhabitants of the world would be as though they had never been, or would suffer from incurable sores and withering

plagues that would come upon them, and they would find no deliverance, but be destroyed by them. Terror seized me, and I fell upon my face before the angel and begged of him to cause the sight to be removed, to hide it from me, for it was too dreadful. Then I realized, as never before, the importance of searching the Word of God carefully, to know how to escape the plagues which that Word declares shall come on all the ungodly who shall worship the beast and his image and receive his mark in their foreheads or in their hands. It was a great wonder for me that any could transgress the law of God and tread down His holy Sabbath, when such awful threatenings and denunciations were against them.

The pope has changed the day of rest from the seventh to the first day. He has thought to change the very commandment that was given to cause man to remember his Creator. He has thought to change the greatest commandment in the decalogue and thus make himself equal with God, or even exalt himself above God. The Lord is unchangeable, therefore His law is immutable; but the pope has exalted himself above God, in seeking to change His immutable precepts of holiness, justice, and goodness. He has trampled underfoot God's sanctified day, and, on his own authority, put in its place one of the six laboring days. The whole nation has followed after the beast, and every week they rob God of His holy time. The pope has made a breach in the holy law of God, but I saw that the time had fully come for this breach to be made up by the people of God and the waste places built up.

I pleaded before the angel for God to save His people who had gone astray, to save them for His mercy's sake. When the plagues begin to fall, those who continue to break the holy Sabbath will not open their mouths to plead those excuses that they now make

to get rid of keeping it. Their mouths will be closed while the plagues are falling, and the great Lawgiver is requiring justice of those who have had His holy law in derision and have called it "a curse to man," "miserable," and "rickety." When such feel the iron grasp of this law taking hold of them, these expressions will appear before them in living characters, and they will then realize the sin of having that law in derision which the Word of God calls "holy, just, and good."

Then I was pointed to the glory of heaven, to the treasure laid up for the faithful. Everything was lovely and glorious. The angels would sing a lovely song, then they would cease singing and take their crowns from their heads and cast them glittering at the feet of the lovely Jesus, and with melodious voices cry, "Glory, Alleluia!" I joined with them in their songs of praise and honor to the Lamb, and every time I opened my mouth to praise Him, I felt an unutterable sense of the glory that surrounded me. It was a far more, an exceeding and eternal weight of glory. Said the angel, "The little remnant who love God and keep His commandments and are faithful to the end will enjoy this glory and ever be in the presence of Jesus and sing with the holy angels."

Then my eyes were taken from the glory, and I was pointed to the remnant on the earth. The angel said to them, "Will ye shun the seven last plagues? Will ye go to glory and enjoy all that God has prepared for those who love Him and are willing to suffer for His sake? If so, ye must die that ye may live. Get ready, get ready, get ready. Ye must have a greater preparation than ye now have, for the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate and to destroy the sinners thereof out of it. Sacrifice all to God. Lay all upon His altar--self,

property, and all, a living sacrifice. It will take all to enter glory. Lay up for yourselves treasure in heaven, where no thief can approach or rust corrupt. Ye must be partakers of Christ's sufferings here if ye would be partakers with Him of His glory hereafter."

Heaven will be cheap enough, if we obtain it through suffering. We must deny self all along the way, die to self daily, let Jesus alone appear, and keep His glory continually in view. I saw that those who of late have embraced the truth would have to know what it is to suffer for Christ's sake, that they would have trials to pass through that would be keen and cutting, in order that they may be purified and fitted through suffering to receive the seal of the living God, pass through the time of trouble, see the King in His beauty, and dwell in the presence of God and of pure, holy angels.

As I saw what we must be in order to inherit glory, and then saw how much Jesus had suffered to obtain for us so rich an inheritance, I prayed that we might be baptized into Christ's sufferings, that we might not shrink at trials, but bear them with patience and joy, knowing what Jesus had suffered that we through His poverty and sufferings might be made rich. Said the angel, "Deny self; ye must step fast." Some of us have had time to get the truth and to advance step by step, and every step we have taken has given us strength to take the next. But now time is almost finished, and what we have been years learning, they will have to learn in a few months. They will also have much to unlearn and much to learn again. Those who would not receive the mark of the beast and his image when the decree goes forth, must have decision now to say, Nay, we will not regard the institution of the beast.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Concerning a conference in 1856 Ellen White declared: "I was shown the company present at the conference. Said the angel, 'Some food for worms, some subjects of the seven last plagues, some will be alive and remain upon the earth to be translated at the coming of Jesus.' " All who were alive then are now dead. Does this prediction mean that Mrs. White is a false prophet?

Numerous statements made by Ellen White in the decades following the 1856 vision demonstrate her clear understanding that there is an implied conditional quality to God's promises and threatenings--as Jeremiah declared--and that the conditional feature in forecasts regarding Christ's Advent involves the state of heart of Christ's followers. The following statement, written in 1883, is especially relevant on this point:

"The angels of God in their messages to men represent time as very short. Thus it has always been presented to me. It is true that time has continued longer than we expected in the early days of this message. Our Saviour did not appear as soon as we hoped. But has the Word of the Lord failed? Never! It should be remembered that the promises and the threatenings of God are alike conditional. . . .

"It was not the will of God that the coming of Christ should be thus delayed. God did not design that His people, Israel, should wander forty years in the wilderness. He promised to lead them directly to the land of Canaan, and establish them there a holy, healthy, people. But those to whom it was first preached, went not in 'because of unbelief.' Their hearts were filled with murmuring, rebellion, and hatred, and He could not fulfill His covenant with them.

"For forty years did unbelief, murmuring, and rebellion shut out ancient Israel from the land of Canaan. The same sins have delayed the entrance of modern Israel into the heavenly Canaan. In neither case were the promises of God at fault. It is the unbelief, the worldliness, unconsecration, and strife among the Lord's professed people that have kept us in this world of sin and sorrow so many years" (Ms 4, 1883, quoted in Evangelism, pp. 695, 696).

Some in 1856 Alive When Jesus Returns?
Concerning a conference in 1856 Ellen White declared: "I was shown the company present at the conference. Said the angel, 'Some food for worms, some subjects of the seven last plagues, some will be alive and remain upon the earth to be translated at the coming of Jesus.' " All who were alive then are now dead. Does this prediction mean that Mrs. White is a false prophet?

Numerous statements made by Ellen White in the decades following the 1856 vision demonstrate her clear understanding that there is an implied conditional quality to God's promises and threatenings--as Jeremiah declared--and that the conditional feature in forecasts regarding Christ's Advent involves the state of heart of Christ's followers. The following statement, written in 1883, is especially relevant on this point:

"The angels of God in their messages to men represent time as very short. Thus it has always been presented to me. It is true that time has continued longer than we expected in the early days of this message. Our Saviour did not appear as soon as we hoped. But has the Word of the Lord failed? Never! It should be remembered that the promises and the threatenings of God are alike conditional. . . .

"It was not the will of God that the coming of Christ should be thus delayed. God did not design that His people, Israel, should wander forty years in the wilderness. He promised to lead them directly to the land of Canaan, and establish them there a holy, healthy, people. But those to whom it was first preached, went not in 'because of unbelief.' Their hearts were filled with murmuring, rebellion, and hatred, and He could not fulfill His covenant with them.

"For forty years did unbelief, murmuring, and rebellion shut out ancient Israel from the land of Canaan. The same sins have delayed the entrance of modern Israel into the heavenly Canaan. In neither case were the promises of God at fault. It is the unbelief, the worldliness, unconsecration, and strife among the Lord's professed people that have kept us in this world of sin and sorrow so many years" (Ms 4, 1883, quoted in Evangelism, pp. 695, 696).

We can better understand Mrs. White's prediction of 1856 by examining it in the light of the conditional character of prophetic promises found in the Scriptures. For further study on this topic see "The Predictions of the 1856 Vision," in the Reference Library.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This would be an excellent charge were it not for the fact that the abolition of slavery in the U.S. has nothing to do with the vision of the Second Coming being described and that America is not the only place where people have been in chains and will be until the LORD returns.

Some Slaves Not Resurrected​

1. Home
  2. I & A
  3. Unusual
  4. Miscellaneous
  5. Some Slaves Not Resurrected
In 1858 Ellen G. White wrote that "the slave master would have to answer for the soul of his slave whom he has kept in ignorance. . . . God cannot take the slave to heaven, who has been kept in ignorance and degradation, knowing nothing of God, or the Bible, fearing nothing but his master's lash, and not holding so elevated a position as his master's brute beasts. But He does the best thing for him that a compassionate God can do. He lets him be as though he had not been." [1]
However, a few pages later she reported that she "saw the pious slave rise [in the resurrection] in triumph and victory." [2] In many places she referred to the terrible conditions imposed on slaves in the South, treated "as though they were beasts." [3] Nevertheless, she was equally emphatic that "many of the slaves had noble minds." [4]
In these statements Ellen White was distinguishing between the "pious" slave and the "ignorant" slave who knows "nothing of God." Regarding the latter, she stated with prophetic insight that the most compassionate act for a just God would be to let such slaves remain in their graves, not to be resurrected for judgment.
Some object to this statement because the Bible says that "all who are in the graves will . . . come forth" (John 5:28, 29). A few chapters later, John quoted Jesus: "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself" (John 12:32). Here we have two examples among many where Bible writers used all-inclusive language but with very definite restrictions. No one but Universalists argue that everyone, sooner or later, will be redeemed, regardless of character or desire. Not all people will be drawn to Jesus because not all are willing to be drawn!
Another example of a general, all-inclusive statement is John the Revelator's description of the Second Advent: ". . . every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains, and said to the mountains and rocks, 'Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne'" (Rev. 6:15, 16). Obviously, not all slaves and not all free men are going to be lost!
Prophets, as well as everyone else, use inclusive language at times, and most people understand the implied restrictions. The next question is, How does God deal with those who are neither among those "who have done good," or "those who have done evil" (John 5:29)? The best we can do is to join Abraham, the father of the faithful, and believe with confidence: "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?" (Gen. 18:25).
[1] Spiritual Gifts, vol. 1, p. 193 (Early Writings, p. 276).
[2] Ibid., p. 206 (Early Writings, p. 286).
[3] Review and Herald, Dec. 17, 1895.
[4] Ibid.
[Adapted from Herbert E. Douglass, Messenger of the Lord: the Prophetic Ministry of Ellen G. White (Nampa, Idaho: Pacific Press Publishing Association, 1998), pp. 489, 490.]

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did anyone read The White Lie by Walter Rea?

I posted, "Christ, who knew not the least taint of sin or defilement, took our nature in its deteriorated condition. This was humiliation sreater than finite man can comprehend. God was manifest in the flesh. He humbled Himself. What a subject for thought, for deep eamest contemplation! So infinitely great that He was the Majesty of heaven, and yet He stooped so low without losing one atom of His dignity and glory! . . . In taking upon himself man's nature in its fallen condition, Christ did not in the least participate in its sin. He was subject to the infirmities and weaknesses by which man is encompassed, '1hat it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses." He was touched with the feeling of our infirmities, and was in all points tempted like as we are. And yet He "knew no

Into Plagiarism Checker by Grammarly. It found there is.

Last edited:

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This material regarding the writings of Ellen G. White is part of a Field Guide profile on
Seventh-day Adventism. Click here to go to the main page of the SDA profile.

The details of Seventh-day Adventist Prophetess Ellen G. White's (EGW) career of blatant plagiarism can be seen in a number of books and on many sites on the Internet. These books and sites include not only general commentary, but very specific samples of quotations from EGW's books alongside quotations from the books from which the material was obviously copied.

In some instances, the copying consisted of following the exact flow of ideas and examples, in others it was loose paraphrases of short or long sections. But in many, many other instances it consisted of phrases, sentences and passages taken word from word from the writings of others without any indication that such material was not her own writing.

In all of these instances, Ellen G White most assuredly presented the material as being straight from her own pen, without even any "influence" from other writers, let alone direct copying from them. And in many instances, she even prefaced material directly plagiarized from others with words such as "I was shown," or "I saw," or "It was presented to me," which were specifically indicating that she was claiming the material to be directly, divinely "revealed" to her straight from Heaven.

This short overview of the matter of her plagiarism offers only a tiny bit of background material to this huge issue. For those who would like to examine the voluminous proof of the plagiarism allegations, see the links at the end of this article.

Excuses?

The most frequent excuse heard among Adventists regarding the plagiarism of Ellen G White is that it was "common" for authors in the 1800s to use the writings of others without any citation as to the source. And it is further often argued that Ellen and other SDA leaders were just "naïve" and didn't understand the importance of giving credit to those whose creative ideas … and often, exact words … she used and attributed to herself and to the inspiration of God.

Is this true? Were the early adventists, including Ellen G White just "ignorant" of the importance of the issue of plagiarism? Was plagiarism "no big deal" in the 1800s?

Ronald Numbers, author of a book about EGW titled Prophetess of Health, noted the truth about this matter in an article in the Adventist Spectrum Magazine, January 1977:

In a note on "plagiarism" in the September 6, 1864 issue of the Review and Herald, the editors accuse a woman named Luther B. Weaver of stealing lines from one of Annie Smith’s poems and publishing them as her own. Plagiarism, they say, "is a word that is used to signify 'literary theft,' or the taking the productions of another and passing them off as one’s own. . . . We are perfectly willing that pieces from the Review, or any of our books should be published to any extent, and all we ask is, that simple justice be done us, by due credit being given."

This is the same Review and Herald, official publishers of the SDA denomination, that published and distributed the writings of Ellen G White from the earliest days of the Adventist movement.

Overview of the plagiarism evidence

The quotations in indented sections below are all from Asmund Kaspersen's small book Ellen G. White -- The Myth and the Truth Section 10. See the Bibliography at the end of the main SDA profile page of this website for more info on Kaspersen's book, which is available on the Internet for free download. The quotations in this present article are excerpted from chapter 10 of Kaspersen’s book.

In the official Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) publication Advent Review and Sabbath Herald of 1/20/1903 the editors wrote regarding the books of Ellen G. White (EGW) (emphasis supplied by Kaspersen):

"Sister White is not the originator of these books. They contain the instruction that during her life-work God has been giving her. They contain the precious, comforting light that God has graciously given his servant to be given to the world."

Kaspersen, a former loyal SDA member notes regarding this statement:

This is not quite true, at least not the way she depicts it. The cold, bare facts stand against her as witnesses. However, it can be said to be a true statement if we see it this way: Sister White is not the originator of these books because most of them consist of plagiarized material from other authors. But that was of course not what she intended to say in the above statement.

One of "these books" that EGW was referring to was her major volume titled The Great Controversy. About this book, she wrote:

"While writing the manuscript of The Great Controversy, I was often conscious of the presence of the angels of God. And many times the scenes about which I was writing were presented to me anew in visions of the night, so that they were fresh and vivid in my mind." (Letter 56, 1911; Colporteur Ministry, p. 128. Emphasis supplied.)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
By honest concession, I recognize that your objection is valid in most cases on a platform of this type and, alas, I am not anywhere close to being entirely innocent.

I think many of us have ignored or even rejected the importance of the slain lamb in the middle of the throne. (Revelation 5:6-7) We instead focus on peripheral matters which are often distorted, the focusing on which blur that which has precedence. We argue and debate the irrelevant in the big picture of God becoming man.

Revelation 5:6-7
Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think many of us have ignored or even rejected the importance of the slain lamb in the middle of the throne. (Revelation 5:6-7) We instead focus on peripheral matters which are often distorted, the focusing on which blur that which has precedence. We argue and debate the irrelevant in the big picture of God becoming man.

Revelation 5:6-7
Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing at the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. The Lamb had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.

Sounds like a good topic for a thread. :)

Reactions: The Learner

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Early Writings : Page 64​

Mark of the Beast​

In a view given June 27, 1850......

Some in 1856 Alive When Jesus Returns?
Concerning a conference......

Some Slaves Not Resurrected​

1. Home
  2. I & A
  3. Unusual
  4. Miscellaneous
  5. Some Slaves Not Resurrected
In 1858 Ellen G. White......

Did anyone read The White Lie by Walter Rea?

https://www.andrews.edu/~jmoon/Documents/GSEM_534/Class_outline/05c.pdf Ellen G. White found guilty of plagiarism (copying) I posted, "Christ, who......

Into Plagiarism Checker by Grammarly. It found there is......

This material regarding the writings of Ellen G. White......

To determine if Ellen White borrowed......

As I've stated in other posts, I seldom bring up the subject of Mrs. White. I virtually never do in discussions about doctrine. But I'm very, very used to being ambushed with baseless claims about her and, once in a while, I make an effort to refute them.

I will say this much: Seemingly honest critics of Ellen White and, unfortunately, those who just like to scour the Interweb for false accusations against good people have one peculiar thing in common: They always hold the extra-biblical writings that Adventists claim are inspired to a much higher standard of textual criticism than they would ever dare to hold the inspired words of the Bible. Interesting.

As to plagiarism, an independent legal study of Mrs. White's writings was done that produced some fascinating results, some of which can be found here:

I wouldn't care to pursue this topic of discussion any more than is absolutely necessary. The woman herself counseled strongly against it, and it's never very productive of any good. People should be encouraged to believe as they are counseled by The Word and convicted by The Spirit.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I've stated in other posts, I seldom bring up the subject of Mrs. White. I virtually never do in discussions about doctrine. But I'm very, very used to being ambushed with baseless claims about her and, once in a while, I make an effort to refute them.

I will say this much: Seemingly honest critics of Ellen White and, unfortunately, those who just like to scour the Interweb for false accusations against good people have one peculiar thing in common: They always hold the extra-biblical writings that Adventists claim are inspired to a much higher standard of textual criticism than they would ever dare to hold the inspired words of the Bible. Interesting.

As to plagiarism, an independent legal study of Mrs. White's writings was done that produced some fascinating results, some of which can be found here:

I wouldn't care to pursue this topic of discussion any more than is absolutely necessary. The woman herself counseled strongly against it, and it's never very productive of any good. People should be encouraged to believe as they are counseled by The Word and convicted by The Spirit.

Did you read any of the links, they go both ways

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
....they always hold the extra-biblical writings that Adventists claim are inspired to a much higher standard of textual criticism than they would ever dare to hold the inspired words of the Bible. Interesting.
You are correct, when they are not biblical nor do they effect our SALVATION, why are we (I'm guilty) struggling so hard against.

My " new" motto is correct false doctrine, ( the Father's/ Son's doctrine found only in the word) if possible in peace & love, even if I hate it!

1 Corinthians 14:20-25 (not displayed)
Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

• Love

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are correct, when they are not biblical nor do they effect our SALVATION, why are we (I'm guilty) struggling so hard against.

My " new" motto is correct false doctrine, ( the Father's/ Son's doctrine found only in the word) if possible in peace & love, even if I hate it!

1 Corinthians 14:20-25 (not displayed)
Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

2 Timothy 2:24-26

Easy-to-Read Version

24 As a servant of the Lord, you must not argue. You must be kind to everyone. You must be a good teacher, and you must be patient. 25 You must gently teach those who don’t agree with you. Maybe God will let them change their hearts so that they can accept the truth. 26 The devil has trapped them and now makes them do what he wants. But maybe they can wake up to see what is happening and free themselves from the devil’s trap.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I guess I'm having a little trouble understanding this statement, Sis. Could I trouble you to rephrase it?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you read any of the links, they go both ways

I know what nonsda.org is. It's really a hack job. They throw stuff together that's so inaccurate a 5-year-old can see it, unless they've changed management.

And I don't know what "they go both ways" means.

As I said, this topic of discussion is seldom fruitful.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

2 Timothy 2:24-26​

Easy-to-Read Version​

24 As a servant of the Lord, you must not argue. You must be kind to everyone. You must be a good teacher, and you must be patient. 25 You must gently teach those who don’t agree with you. Maybe God will let them change their hearts so that they can accept the truth. 26 The devil has trapped them and now makes them do what he wants. But maybe they can wake up to see what is happening and free themselves from the devil’s trap.

This passage, without being compared to others, would shut down inter-faith discussion.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

2 Timothy 2:24-26​

Easy-to-Read Version​

2 Timothy 2:24-26

24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

I see some of the fruit of the Spirit listed in the above.
(I, myself prefer the KJV)

When we fail to walk always in the Spirit, then our own understanding & our flesh get in the way.
THe word also instructs us to mark, avoid and after the 2nd admonition leave them to him. Their doctrine can only be corrected by him.

John 16:8-15
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
15 All things that the FATHER HATH ARE MINE: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, freemasonry, the bane of everything evil. Adventist, Bible Students, Jehovah's Witnesses, every so-called cult has their roots in freemasonry and the illuminati. When does it end?

Yeah, everybody's got their deal-breaker clubs ready in-hand. For some people, it's anti-trinitarianism.