Should a Christian Fear Death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 15: 13-15

“And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me. Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.”

...And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

If you are a Christian, should you still be under the bondage of the fear of death? Why do we try so hard to hold on to this world? Jesus said in Luke 14, "If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." (disciple; a learner, pupil). How do we reconcile verses like this one? Do we just skip over it and pretend it is not there?

Acts 21:13 "Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus."

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No they shouldn't , but we all ( if we are honest) have great reluctance about "how" death with come to us. I don't think any of us fear 'being dead', because that to us is New Life, and Open Door into the real life...this is just a shadow of the true....but who can with delight and no vestige of fear smile at the thought of 'dying by inches' for months in hospital , in pain, with cancer! Not any Christians I have known!!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should we, sure, but what guys like Paul are talking about is the servitude for fear of death, or for fear of the loss of this life of the flesh. If you jump because someone startles you, that is a natural reaction for fear of harm or worse. What are you going to do, stop that? no way. Flesh is flesh.

Should you do something heinous and justify it as your own survival? If you have not the Lord’s Life then yes you would. or maybe something heinous or what would against what a believer in Christ has agreed to, to save a loved one.

many of the original believers after Jesus went to the Father in Heaven suffered without fear for the loss of the life they had in Christ Jesus, despite their removal from this world.

One will fear the loss of life, but what life one fears to loss, is the key. surly one wouldn't try to loss the Life in Christ if one values it.

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Should a Christian fear death?

It is not easy to answer this considering the complexities of our everyday lives. We believe that after our death we continue in everlasting life. God wants us to live and give glory to Him.

Psalm 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Consider parents becoming worried when their kid does not return from school as usual. I remember once my Dad and brother rushed all the way back to school after dark, when I returned home late and my Mother was extremely fuming. Or What if the person on whom one is dependent on, suddenly passes away ?

The life I have seen, we fear death because we care for our loved ones who are dependent on us or we might be dependent.

God wants us to live.
Proverbs 3
1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.

God wants us to be strong during our lives.
Proverbs 24
5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

And God wants us to give glory to Him
1 Corinthians 10
31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

We as Christians are not afraid of death, but we fear because the future(in this world) is always uncertain.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should a Christian fear death?

It is not easy to answer this considering the complexities of our everyday lives. We believe that after our death we continue in everlasting life. God wants us to live and give glory to Him.

Psalm 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Consider parents becoming worried when their kid does not return from school as usual. I remember once my Dad and brother rushed all the way back to school after dark, when I returned home late and my Mother was extremely fuming. Or What if the person on whom one is dependent on, suddenly passes away ?

The life I have seen, we fear death because we care for our loved ones who are dependent on us or we might be dependent.

God wants us to live.
Proverbs 3
1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:
2 For length of days, and long life, and peace, shall they add to thee.

God wants us to be strong during our lives.
Proverbs 24
5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

And God wants us to give glory to Him
1 Corinthians 10
31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

We as Christians are not afraid of death, but we fear because the future(in this world) is always uncertain.
Good post.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No they shouldn't , but we all ( if we are honest) have great reluctance about "how" death with come to us. I don't think any of us fear 'being dead', because that to us is New Life, and Open Door into the real life...this is just a shadow of the true....but who can with delight and no vestige of fear smile at the thought of 'dying by inches' for months in hospital , in pain, with cancer! Not any Christians I have known!!
Grace you're correct, death is unnatural, or foreign to us.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
we are told many many times not to fear. what was the question again?

This stuff is really simple. Is it from God no. So guess what. Every thing is either God or the rat. Good or evil. Niot that hard to work out every thing through this simple method

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the death is quick and painless, then there is no reason to fear it, especially if you believe you are an adopted son of God through Jesus Christ, because you know that greater things are in store for you.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's the moments of feeling the impact if you do hit the ground hard, accidentally cut yourself or if something bites ya, whether it's a march fly hahahahha or a snake, or getting hurt severely, now that's more scary than death. What about a possum running at ya! now that's scary. LOL

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You don't feel it. And if you survive it, you won't remember it.

Not necessarily, there are plenty of people in pain in this world, if you came off a motorbike, you would be fearing how badly it's gonna hurt when you hit the ground for that second and if a snake was in a striking position right next to you half a metre away, I'm sure you would be pretty scared too, not necessarily about death, but that moment the snake strikes.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Christian should not fear death. Because the Christian will never die. But, much is dependent on the spiritual condition of the Christian when he dies. If one is saved but has been living in the world, acting like the world, then he won't have a peace and confidence when he dies.

Stranger

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello I am new here......... I am 82 years old...
I was Catholic till my 50's.......... our children got saved and then they got us saved.

Our Catholic Church never used bibles back then....... only the prayer book and rosary
What a big difference this was when we went to a bible church......... and got saved.
My husband is now in heaven and I sure want to go home as soon as God will call me home....
I had always been afraid of dying...... But now I want to go home....... :)

Reactions: Job

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I am new here......... I am 82 years old...
I was Catholic till my 50's.......... our children got saved and then they got us saved.

Our Catholic Church never used bibles back then....... only the prayer book and rosary
What a big difference this was when we went to a bible church......... and got saved.
My husband is now in heaven and I sure want to go home as soon as God will call me home....
I had always been afraid of dying...... But now I want to go home....... :)
Looking forward to meeting Christ is one thing. But wanting to go is a little sefish. Its not about us. Its about those who dont know. Would it not be better saying camt wait to see you. But I know there are a lot of lost souls here. And I want to help.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heaven is union between God and True Self - it is the Kingdom of God within us and it will last forever.

Reactions: rockytopva

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heaven is union between God and True Self - it is the Kingdom of God within us and it will last forever.

And how is that 'union' accomplished?

And how is the 'kingdom of God within us'?

Stranger