Should a Christian smoke marijuana?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think weed should be left in the consumer's hands.
Well, it's been legalized in so many places, like Heart2Soul says. I'm a bit cautious about the recreational idea. But if there are medical benefits, then a clear framework is useful...

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, it's been legalized in so many places, like Heart2Soul says. I'm a bit cautious about the recreational idea. But if there are medical benefits, then a clear framework is useful...
Every drug has side effects. I know life can be hard. I wish I didn't need medication...but I'm thankful I have it. You just have to be careful with those doctors...they'll have you taking a pill for everything!

Reactions: michaelvpardo

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Every drug has side effects. I know life can be hard. I wish I didn't need medication...but I'm thankful I have it. You just have to be careful with those doctors...they'll have you taking a pill for everything!
@Truman Over-medication can be a problem; but then the pharmaceuticals maybe have a vested interest in it....

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point is...only use a drug if you absolutely have to. But if you have to, don't feel condemned. My problem is with misuse...specifically, my past misuse. I am not anti-drug...in fact, I think it's high time we, as a society, started treating addicts better. I'm not suggesting condoning self-abuse, but each person is valuable.
I thought as much, but I've found that many "abusers" are self medicating for very real problems. That's part of the appeal of some drugs to at least some "recreational" users.
In my own case, I grew up with anxiety issues that were at times somewhat disabling. Friends introduced me to Cannabis while still in school and though I didn't realize it, part of its appeal was in making me feel more normal, more at ease with other people and situations that made me anxious. I've known quite a few substance abusers, and many had serious issues, usually of a psychological or emotional nature, prior to their use. The same is true of those referred to as problem drinkers.
We may not acknowledge it, but most of us are primarily driven by our emotions more than reason, and that usually has negative consequences. People learn to modify their behavior through reason and we call this wisdom.

Reactions: Truman

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I thought as much, but I've found that many "abusers" are self medicating for very real problems. That's part of the appeal of some drugs to at least some "recreational" users.
In my own case, I grew up with anxiety issues that were at times somewhat disabling. Friends introduced me to Cannabis while still in school and though I didn't realize it, part of its appeal was in making me feel more normal, more at ease with other people and situations that made me anxious. I've known quite a few substance abusers, and many had serious issues, usually of a psychological or emotional nature, prior to their use. The same is true of those referred to as problem drinkers.
We may not acknowledge it, but most of us are primarily driven by our emotions more than reason, and that usually has negative consequences. People learn to modify their behavior through reason and we call this wisdom.
Christ has brought me much freedom from all this. Though I still vape nicotine.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He lived in a different era and it would be legalism to impose judgmental assessment retrospectively on a great man of God from the 19th century.
My maternal grandfather was a coal miner in Western Pennsylvania back when mining was still mostly done with picks and shovels. It was hard work in confined spaces, difficult and tiring, so the mining companies gave their workers coka cola to refresh them and increase their productivity. At that time, the active ingredient was cocaine, not caffeine. My grandfather also made his own alcohol and was known to get drunk on occasion after a full days work in the mines and on his garden and livestock. He was a devout Catholic despite such behavior and I can't help but think that his drinking habit was in part a response to the cocaine dosing by his employers, a way to counter the way the substance made his body react.
In the 1800s opium derivates and other narcotics were commonly used as treatments for common maladies like headaches and it wasn't until the invention of pharmaceutical companies that such natural treatments were made illegal.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I currently have to take metformin for my diabetes and amlodipine for my blood pressure (in addition to a number of allergy medications.) While the drugs do control my blood sugar level and blood pressure to a reasonable degree, they also have negative side effects such as interfering with my physiology's homeostatic response to temperature change. I haven't felt comfortable or "well" in over a decade. Now I turn down the suggestion of any new "maintenance drug", hormone replacement therapy, or treatment that creates a permanent dependency upon it.
It's been a long time since I studied physiology in school, but having read about half of a recent text book on microbiology this year (so far), our understanding of biochemistry and physiology though deeper, hasn't really changed that much.
There are very few disease conditions that, short of loss of function or gain of function mutations, can't be corrected by our bodies with proper nutrition, exercise, and plant compounds provided by our creator.
Our current state of medicine is given to creating drug dependency. Our doctors have been primarily reduced to drug distributors, though some do favor the holistic approach.
Medicine was once a professional practice, but the pharmaceutical companies and hospitals have turned it into an industry concerned with profits more than cures (more revenue is generated by maintenance drugs while cures generate nothing but good health.)
The appeal of much of our pharmaceuticals is that they can relieve symptoms without the necessity of modifying negative behaviors (like gluttony). We can have our cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
Reactions: DuckieLady

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's easy to take a pill...it's hard to change behavior.
Sometimes change is necessary. It can be growth.
Discomfort and pain can be natural parts of life.
I've experienced growth when I've embraced my pain...like people did before modern medicine.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's easy to take a pill...it's hard to change behavior.
Sometimes change is necessary. It can be growth.
Discomfort and pain can be natural parts of life.
I've experienced growth when I've embraced my pain...like people did before modern medicine.
Embracing your pain works for some, but prolonged intense pain just makes me more dangerous (or creates that impression in others,)

Blues State

Jan 24, 2022
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should a Christian smoke marijuana? It depends on the motive for doing it. (My church is against it) One big drag gets rid of my leg cramps without mental drawbacks and I don’t like a mental high. Smoking or vaping is the easiest way to control the dose. CBD or CBG won’t do it for me. I live in the thick of USA cannabis production (it pretty much costs nothing to get for most locals) and it’s not really a positive thing for most people.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should a Christian smoke marijuana? It depends on the motive for doing it. (My church is against it) One big drag gets rid of my leg cramps without mental drawbacks and I don’t like a mental high. Smoking or vaping is the easiest way to control the dose. CBD or CBG won’t do it for me. I live in the thick of USA cannabis production (it pretty much costs nothing to get for most locals) and it’s not really a positive thing for most people.
If you don’t get high from it, there’s no problem, just as it’s okay to drink booze, but not to be drunk.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know he didn’t give us every seed bearing plant “to smoke”. This is medicine meant to be eaten. It literally kills cancer. Watch the documentary called “weed the people” on Netflix. They cured three kids cancer with cannabis. There is Israel based labs that show how some strains kill certain cancer cells and some kill other kinds of cancer. And how they all leave the good cells alone. Truly amazing. Big pharma sucks and have successfully brainwashed most people to think this good medicine from God is some kind of evil plant. This plant kills cancer. Thank you Jesus.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No not unless prescribed by a Doctor for medicinal purposes.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can, or should, a new believer, a recovering Fentanyl addict, use cannabis while they recover?

I wouldn’t recommend it.

I maintain that the best drug is no drug, since they all have side effects

I agree.

Sometimes pain and sorrow are necessary:

“Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made better.” (Ecclesiastes 7:3)

I have been experiencing long Covid since December and I cried and prayed to the Lord more than ever in this time. And I feel my best after letting it all out in tears and crying out to God for help.

A little wine helps too!

“but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.” (1 Timothy 5:23)

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if a follower of Christ has chronic pain and knows they have a weakness for opioids?
Can, or should, a new believer, a recovering Fentanyl addict, use cannabis while they recover?
I maintain that the best drug is no drug, since they all have side effects.
Then there is addictive behavior.
Nothing is forbidden but not all does good. I think if it relieves bodily suffering or benefits health it is a good.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You know he didn’t give us every seed bearing plant “to smoke”. This is medicine meant to be eaten. It literally kills cancer. Watch the documentary called “weed the people” on Netflix. They cured three kids cancer with cannabis. There is Israel based labs that show how some strains kill certain cancer cells and some kill other kinds of cancer. And how they all leave the good cells alone. Truly amazing. Big pharma sucks and have successfully brainwashed most people to think this good medicine from God is some kind of evil plant. This plant kills cancer. Thank you Jesus.
Hi @Mantis At times, certain meds in Mexico and Canada cost only 1/20 of what they have cost in the US, because of the pricing influences of the big pharmaceutical corporations.