Should a Christian smoke marijuana?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What if a follower of Christ has chronic pain and knows they have a weakness for opioids?
Can, or should, a new believer, a recovering Fentanyl addict, use cannabis while they recover?
I maintain that the best drug is no drug, since they all have side effects.
Then there is addictive behavior.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would've been happy if Prime Minister Harper had left it decriminalized.
Pay attention, church.

Reactions: OzSpen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if a follower of Christ has chronic pain and knows they have a weakness for opioids?
Can, or should, a new believer, a recovering Fentanyl addict, use cannabis while they recover?
I maintain that the best drug is no drug, since they all have side effects.
Then there is addictive behavior.
I think cannabis is like any other drug, in that benefits and side effects should be weighed against each other. Cannabis has an advantage in being the natural state of the drug, that is, a plant, rather than synthetic molecules formulated by a lab.

I think these kinds of questions are individual to the person. I agree, the best is when we have all we need from the food we eat, when that can happen. Someone with chemical deficits in their bodies may need the supplementation.

Much love!

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have heard testimonies of people who swear that medical marijuana has been a real help to them...
The effects of narcotics are way more dangerous than a natural pain reliever...
Other than that... I am not sure if decriminalizing it has added to the ABUSE of it... I have not seen
any statistics with reference to this.

I think it is a matter of conscience... I do not suffer with physical pain... and so I can't really make an assessment on
this.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ritalin and Adderall are exceptions. For some, opiates help them focus.
Doctors tailor their drug therapy to the individual.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
These questions are best addressed on a case by case basis, particularly with an ethical doctor in the picture. But if someone has a weakness for opioids and is liable to become addicted, then whatever drug is used will need to be closely supervised, and the cause of pain will need to be removed. Physical pain is a signal that something needs to be addressed. Along with diet, exercise, and rest. So pain relievers -- by definition -- are meant to be temporary.

God has provided various chemicals in plants and herbs to be used judiciously. In fact synthetic drugs should be bypassed since they always have serious side effects. But the medics have made it a practice to simply prescribe drugs without trying to address the root cause of any problem. And now we have medical and scientific fraud with the COVID Scamdemic.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A very interesting subject! Where I worked there were many pot smokers. I knew many personally. Nearly all of them were some of the most reliable and best workers and easy to get along with. That was in the 70's. I don't know anything about the new weed except that it STINKS!

• Haha
Reactions: GracefulWarrior

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think cannabis is like any other drug, in that benefits and side effects should be weighed against each other. Cannabis has an advantage in being the natural state of the drug, that is, a plant, rather than synthetic molecules formulated by a lab.

I take Tylenol. It is in my medical record, nothing above that....unless I am in a hospital, then my drug of choice is demerol. Another Opioid...all nat-tur-aal!....hey Sera Sera...Hey man! Its cool! Its made from the pretty opium poppy plant. Makes me want to pick daisies, kiss all the nurses, and find a Volkswagen van. But when I leave the hospital, it is back to Tylenol.

I use to visit a fellow that had Lou Gehrig's disease. That man had a pharmacy! He was set up for a party...except he was having no party. Whatever debilitating condition a person has that makes it so that they cannot live a normal life....does it matter what they take or what world that drug takes them to? Personally I believe God is not going to count any of that as a sin.

But if you are talking about driving and going to work and smoking "medical marijuana"...ahhh NO. NO. NO.

Last edited:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the harmful effects of cannabis are being deliberately suppressed. They aren't unknown by medical professionals who have to deal with them.
Ask any ER nurse or doctor and they can explain in detail how many OD patients they are getting.

This stuff is not the cure-all it's been made out to be. No where near. It's more about economics than actually anything positive.

They can't afford to incarcerate people for marijuana offenses and most people don't pay their fines for them in the past. That's why it's being decriminalized. Not that it's good for you or that it's harmless...just that they can't afford to throw you in jail for it anymore.

All the while they are trying to criminalize tobacco and tobacco products...scare people from using vape nicotine. But Cannabis has many more harmful chemicals in it than tobacco products ever dreamed about. Vape pen nicotine is not actually made from tobacco...it's made from a tomato.
Just saying.

And as a general point:
Legalism in Christianity is just as bad as lawlessness.
If you want to get away with something...it's a sin no matter what.
If you pride your christian walk because of some kind of abstinence you have fallen off the path.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've been quiet lately...
Yeah...
Been super busy with the stock market. It's been a very difficult market to deal with lately. But I'm finally up 2%...soon to be more. I was down some too but have clawed my way back.
Predicting the future is a full time job.
I am also gearing up for a vacation. Going to go to visit family we haven't seen for a while. Getting truck tires today. Haircut tomorrow... cleaning the place up before we go.
Lots and lots to do. (As well as keeping up with investments)
Fun stuff has become secondary.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have heard testimonies of people who swear that medical marijuana has been a real help to them...
The effects of narcotics are way more dangerous than a natural pain reliever...
Other than that... I am not sure if decriminalizing it has added to the ABUSE of it... I have not seen
any statistics with reference to this.

I think it is a matter of conscience... I do not suffer with physical pain... and so I can't really make an assessment on
this.
I heard or read somewhere that it can do nasty things to the brain and is just the thin edge of the wedge so to speak.

Last edited:
Reactions: LouisWilliams

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If someone has a pre-existing or latent psychiatric condition, yes, it can cause trouble. But so can Demerol, Talwin, caffeine, Paxil, and the list goes on.
A physician is supposed to tailor drug therapy to the needs of the patient.
We are not doctors...

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of us are old enough to have meet the stoners. It changes them to the point that if you have met one stoner you have mostly met them all...It is all in the brain but it changes so much about the body, the change in their voice and language, the look, their gaze, their stride, their clothes style, and motivation to succeed.

All you have to do is walk down one of the long lines at the pot stores....dregs of society.
No positive benefit of improving your future.

The casual users are few and far in between.

Reactions: LouisWilliams