Should a Christian smoke marijuana?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if a follower of Christ has chronic pain and knows they have a weakness for opioids?
Can, or should, a new believer, a recovering Fentanyl addict, use cannabis while they recover?
I maintain that the best drug is no drug, since they all have side effects.
Then there is addictive behavior.

Yes, but there are better ways of getting the good effects of Marijuana than inhaling smoke.

Reactions: Lambano

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Mantis At times, certain meds in Mexico and Canada cost only 1/20 of what they have cost in the US, because of the pricing influences of the big pharmaceutical corporations.
Yeah I have come to the conclusion that most of the worlds problems are do to money: the lack thereof, the excess of the rich, poverty, greed...mostly greed.

I am sure that God provided all the medicine we would ever need in nature. Big Pharma's goal is to make money. It is becoming quite clear with all this Covid stuff. Manufacture a disease and sell the "cure".

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah I have come to the conclusion that most of the worlds problems are do to money: the lack thereof, the excess of the rich, poverty, greed...mostly greed.

I am sure that God provided all the medicine we would ever need in nature. Big Pharma's goal is to make money. It is becoming quite clear with all this Covid stuff. Manufacture a disease and sell the "cure".
Oh I have known ppl who have died of Covid; and some ppl are vulnerable indeed; but it's also true that there is a delicate and sometimes obscure balance between public good - variously defined - and private interests.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cannabis cures cancer. I don't think people are registering that...
Talk about a conspiracy!

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What if a follower of Christ has chronic pain and knows they have a weakness for opioids?
Can, or should, a new believer, a recovering Fentanyl addict, use cannabis while they recover?
I'm not going to be drawn into argument over a lifetime habit, frequently lawless and sometimes with bad side effects, but let the Lord speak for me:
11 Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth”; and it was so. 12 And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 13 So the evening and the morning were the third day. Genesis 1:11-13

Some people call it weed specifically to make it part of the curse:
17 Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘You shall not eat of it’:
“Cursed is the ground for your sake;
In toil you shall eat
of it
All the days of your life.
18 Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you,
And you shall eat the herb of the field.
19 In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread
Till you return to the ground,
For out of it you were taken;
For dust you are,
And to dust you shall return.” Genesis 3:17-19

While cannabis will grow wild in road side ditches and places with sufficient water like river sides, its a cultivated plant and has been throughout history.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I have known ppl who have died of Covid; and some ppl are vulnerable indeed; but it's also true that there is a delicate and sometimes obscure balance between public good - variously defined - and private interests.
I am pretty libertarian in my thinking mostly because I have seen the difference between privately owned businesses and large bureaucratic companies. Quality vs Quantity

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
back in the 70's and once in the 80's I did smoke MJ a couple times. I felt tired for a week afterwards.
@1stCenturyLady There are less restrictions now, of course. But I guess that the whole thing of whether it makes you feel good will differ a lot from one stage of life and outlook to another.

Leaving aside medicinal aspects, I guess that it was overall a disappointment, though you probably wondered if it would make you feel good.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am pretty libertarian in my thinking mostly because I have seen the difference between privately owned businesses and large bureaucratic companies. Quality vs Quantity
I read something about Randolph Hearst making the banning of cannabis a good business opportunity for other business interests.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Should a Christian smoke marijuana?
hmmmmm, maybe putting into a smoothie won't put you on your side?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I heard or read somewhere that it can do nasty things to the brain and is just the thin edge of the wedge so to speak.
I live in the bush...I must be behind the times. Is 'the wedge' a new dance or something?o_O

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, a Christian shouldn't smoke marijuana. We are to remain sober.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mantis So does it give you some medicinal relief?
Yep and it keeps me off addicting man made pain pills. Opiates. Oh and Jesus told me I may use it. So I have no problems with it. No conviction at all.

I think it has been demonized because it threatens big pharma’ profits.