Should Christians Celebrate Halloween?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to hear of your ordeals, I was asking teamventure if he had first hand accounts, as I base my opinions from fact. I follow the teachings of how courts are set up when considering truth, a testimony can be considered factual information if it is a credible source. But as teamventure indicated he had not witness any such event. I think if someone is making a claim of this nature I have the right to ask them if they have witnessed such events, especially if they're making a public claim on a forum like this. And I think I have a right to know if it is first person information or second or third hand information.

I have a right to be informed of the facts to form an opinion.

You have a right to be informed of the facts, but what about the fact of faith? Is calling faith a fact appropriate?

If we must wait for facts to believe what is written in scripture and what God speaks to our heart, why are we even claiming to be followers of Jesus and God?

"Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." John 20:29

"For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." Rom 1:17

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
Abstain from all appearance of evil." I Thess 5:21-22

Reactions: TLHKAJ

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a right to be informed of the facts, but what about the fact of faith? Is calling faith a fact appropriate?

If we must wait for facts to believe what is written in scripture and what God speaks to our heart, why are we even claiming to be followers of Jesus and God?

"Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." John 20:29

"For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." Rom 1:17

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
Abstain from all appearance of evil." I Thess 5:21-22

The fact I was looking for is some form of evidence, whether empirical or witness. And yes the Bible is a testimony, an Old and New Testament, so it's full of fact. If you understood sound judging practices you would also understand that principle. Do you?

And yes I follow the spirit, has the spirit testified of SRA's and encouraged me to hate Halloween? No he has not. As we discussed Halloween does have origins in Christian celebrations of Saints. Although perhaps some pagans and devil worshipers have attempted to attach their beliefs on the same day. But I don't let pagans tell me when to worship.

Reactions: Waiting on him

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No thank you ...God created me, and my mind ...He knows me inside and out and He sets the captives free, and makes crooked places straight.
I did have a Christian Biblical counselor for 3 years and she was a college psychology teacher. She chose to take the good things she learned from psychology and apply a Biblical filter ...she added a lot of training in Biblical and prayer counseling and it was a great fit for me. I have known way more cult "therapists" than not. Sadly, that field is very infiltrated ...and not surprisingly, since the cult wants to intercept victims trying to get help. This is the very same reason the cult infiltrates churches.

Well I think it's wonderful that you got some counseling and from a Christian counselor. I see a Christian counselor currently. We share similar beliefs and it's refreshing to hear her insight into mental health direction.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact I was looking for is some form of evidence, whether empirical or witness. And yes the Bible is a testimony, an Old and New Testament, so it's full of fact. If you understood sound judging practices you would also understand that principle. Do you?

And yes I follow the spirit, has the spirit testified of SRA's and encouraged me to hate Halloween? No he has not. As we discussed Halloween does have origins in Christian celebrations of Saints. Although perhaps some pagans and devil worshipers have attempted to attach their beliefs on the same day. But I don't let pagans tell me when to worship.
My suggestion is to be careful what you do to enjoy what God has provided. God has provided all... but He has also provided a proper way to make use of what He has provided. Using our brain and our power of deduction is not alone evil, but alone they can and do lead people into evil.

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

We need to be directed, to be led, and for that we have Jesus and the Holy Spirit. You notice I did not say science and the logic of the human brain.

"O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!" Ps 119:5

"A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps." Prov 16:9

"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." Rom 8:14

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My suggestion is to be careful what you do to enjoy what God has provided. God has provided all... but He has also provided a proper way to make use of what He has provided. Using our brain and our power of deduction is not alone evil, but alone they can and do lead people into evil.

"O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps." Jerem 10:23

We need to be directed, to be led, and for that we have Jesus and the Holy Spirit. You notice I did not say science and the logic of the human brain.

"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." Rom 8:14

I think you're confusing sounds reasoning with the natural man.

Many people are fooled religiously by matters of the heart, for instance it is easy to brain wash someone into a system of beliefs and then make them feel guilty when they are not in concert with those beliefs. Such are the way of cults. I was Mormon for 10 years and only now do I question their teachings. I was guilt-ed into accepting and afraid of challenging their beliefs.

It's important to be in sound reasoning when learning the scriptures and serving God, and that takes matters of the mind. Now the Holy Spirit will bless you with fruits of the Holy Spirit when you're on the right track (Galatians 5:22-23). And I think that is what is meant in the second section of what you posted.

I tend to be more careful of what I teach now because of the enlightenment God has blessed me with. God bless you!

Reactions: Waiting on him

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

So then because God has not given us a spirit of fear and He has given us the Spirit of power, love and a sound mind, should we step out into the midst of men and devils tempting God and showing others that we can walk safely in ways where we have not been led by the Holy Spirit? But... it OK just to have fun isn't it... no matter what anyone watching us might think about it? Are we not also to be an epistle for others to read?

"And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." Matt 4:6-7

"Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:" II Cor 3:2

"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid." Matt 5:14

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Witchcraft is involved ...but not everyone who participates in SRA or MK is a "witch" or "warlock." One of my aunts who took us to some of the rituals (inside a "Christian" church) was a witch. But she wasn't even one of my main handlers ...on the other hand, my mormon aunt and uncle who were/are friends with Ted Turner, were some of my main handlers who took me to ritual locations where I was used on the altars as a gateway.
Actually, mormonism has its roots in freemasonry. And I know of many survivors of SRA/MK who came out of mormonism and catholicism, as well as JW.
That's not remotely accurate as to actual beliefs in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or any of the other groups you mentioned.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then because God has not given us a spirit of fear and He has given us the Spirit of power, love and a sound mind, should we step out into the midst of men and devils tempting God and showing others that we can walk safely in ways where we have not been led by the Holy Spirit? But... it OK just to have fun isn't it... no matter what anyone watching us might think about it? Are we not also to be an epistle for others to read?

"And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." Matt 4:6-7

"Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:" II Cor 3:2

"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid." Matt 5:14

Encouraging people to not participate in normal USA traditions is not a socially healthy practice, no. In fact there is psychiatric evidence linking a lot of this isolationism to mental illness: Why People With Mental Illness Isolate Themselves | Psychreg

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Encouraging people to not participate in normal USA traditions is not a socially healthy practice, no. In fact there is psychiatric evidence linking a lot of this isolationism to mental illness: Why People With Mental Illness Isolate Themselves | Psychreg
What you are saying may work in a measure for completely carnal people or for people who are more subject to their carnality than they are to the Spirit of God, but for followers of Christ, who really seeking first the Kingdom and Righteousness of God, what you are selling sounds just a bit too pharisaic as per those who so regularly opposed themselves to Jesus in the written gospel accounts.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you are saying may work in a measure for completely carnal people or for people who are more subject to their carnality than they are to the Spirit of God, but for followers of Christ, who really seeking first the Kingdom and Righteousness of God, what you are selling sounds just a bit too pharisaic as per those who so regularly opposed themselves to Jesus in the written gospel accounts.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Halloween is slang for All Hallows' Eve, the celebration of resurrected saints. I'm not sure what you're getting at, but not honoring Martyrs and Saints might be considered as carnal I suppose. Do you celebrate Halloween?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, fear is taught, and anything that is learned can be unlearned.

Amen. That is true. I personally believe Halloween teaches fear, but Ive beat the dead horse on that. :D

I am glad we agree on not having a spirit of fear. I believe that is very important. I lived in fear for many years. Anxiety is not fun.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen. That is true. I personally believe Halloween teaches fear, but Ive beat the dead horse on that. :D

I am glad we agree on not having a spirit of fear. I believe that is very important. I lived in fear for many years. Anxiety is not fun.
Mayflower, Halloween doesn’t teach fear... people teach fear.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Halloween is slang for All Hallows' Eve, the celebration of resurrected saints. I'm not sure what you're getting at, but not honoring Martyrs and Saints might be considered as carnal I suppose. Do you celebrate Halloween?
Following the lead of the Holy Spirit is always the right thing to do. Some people may get involved in Halloween and serve God, but what is in a person's heart is what ultimately matters between that person and God. For too many people the very appearance of "Christians" participating may indeed send the wrong message result in another person stumbling or never humbling themselves to God in the first place. Stating that it is OK for anyone to involve themselves because it is not specifically forbidden by God is a presumption we should not be making from our carnal minds alone. For some people God does specifically forbid certain things if they are going to please Him and receive the rewards He has promised:

"The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions." Matt 19:20-22

Not every man who is materially rich must do as Jesus told that young man to do, but probably for many of them it is true. Probably most of them will never do it. Similarly with Halloween. Some may be able to observe it and participate in it without losing out completely with God, but without a specific direction from God to do it, I would say that most people considering doing it are at least in danger of tempting God. Is the 'fun' of it worth that much? Is our enjoyment of the things in this world of men the most important thing?

How much enjoyment did the young man, Stephen, receive from the physical pleasures of this world of men before they stoned him to death?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Following the lead of the Holy Spirit is always the right thing to do. Some people may get involved in Halloween and serve God, but what is in a person's heart is what ultimately matters between that person and God. For too many people the very appearance of "Christians" participating may indeed send the wrong message result in another person stumbling or never humbling themselves to God in the first place. Stating that it is OK for anyone to involve themselves because it is not specifically forbidden by God is a presumption we should not be making from our carnal minds alone. For some people God does specifically forbid certain things if they are going to please Him and receive the rewards He has promised:

"The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions." Matt 19:20-22

Not every man who is materially rich must do as Jesus told that young man to do, but probably for many of them it is true. Probably most of them will never do it. Similarly with Halloween. Some may be able to observe it and participate in it without losing out completely with God, but without a specific direction from God to do it, I would say that most people considering doing it are at least in danger of tempting God. Is the 'fun' of it worth that much? Is our enjoyment of the things in this world of men the most important thing?

How much enjoyment did the young man, Stephen, receive from the physical pleasures of this world of men before they stoned him to death?

You're position sounds extreme to me also. Do you celebrate Christmas?

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're position sounds extremist also. Do you celebrate Christmas?
Jesus was an extremist. He was prepared to walk on all alone if no one else followed Him for He was unwilling to compromise. What is compromise anyway. Is it ever OK for a follower of Christ to compromise?

"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away" John 6:66-67

As to your question, why should it matter... unless your judgement for or against me is to be the final one? But... I won't evade. I am almost 77 years old. In the past I have served mammon and I have celebrated Christmas and Halloween, but all that means is that I have sinned. It has been years since my wife and I have put up a Christmas tree and exchanged gifts as we did in our youth. When we changed and why we changed are a part of our testimonies, which I will not detail here.

Should we all not want to be like Jesus? Should we not all be working as best we can to be more like Him? The promise is there, but who is on the approach and who is sitting back waiting for it all to fall into place?

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

Anyone here on the highway of holiness traveling from the "through a glass, darkly" vision to the "face to face" vision? Solomon wrote 3,000 years ago about the importance of our vision:

"Where there is no vision, the people perish:..." Prov 29:18

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was an extremist. He was prepared to walk on all alone if no one else followed Him for He was unwilling to compromise. What is compromise anyway. Is it ever OK for a follower of Christ to compromise?

"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away" John 6:66-67

As to your question, why should it matter... unless your judgement for or against me is to be the final one? But... I won't evade. I am almost 77 years old. In the past I have served mammon and I have celebrated Christmas and Halloween, but all that means is that I have sinned. It has been years since my wife and I have put up a Christmas tree and exchanged gifts as we did in our youth. When we changed and why we changed are a part of our testimonies, which I will not detail here.

Should we all not want to be like Jesus? Should we not all be working as best we can to be more like Him? The promise is there, but who is on the approach and who is sitting back waiting for it all to fall into place?

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

Anyone here on the highway of holiness traveling from the "through a glass, darkly" vision to the "face to face" vision? Solomon wrote 3,000 years ago about the importance of our vision:

"Where there is no vision, the people perish:..." Prov 29:18

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

Thanks for your testimony, now I have gotten to know who you are a little more. I will remain myself and consider that Jesus wants me with family and friends on Christmas, celebrating Jesus and sharing in happiness. Also Halloween is for kids, but after studying this thread I think I will honor the Martyrs and Saints on Halloween.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your testimony, now I have gotten to know who you are a little more. I will remain myself and consider that Jesus wants me with family and friends on Christmas, celebrating Jesus and sharing in happiness. Also Halloween is for kids, but after studying this thread I think I will honor the Martyrs and Saints on Halloween.
Do what you believe that you need to do...The choice is always yours. But I do advise strongly to always continue to grow toward God in the things of God. The growth is the thing. When a flowing body of water stands still too long it begins to stagnate and eventually all that lived within it will die. Even so is it spiritually, if we can understand it.

Consider the Dead Sea where the River Jordan flows, but the Dead Sea is like the Great Salt Lake in Utah with no living fish at all because there is no outlet. The Jordan flows in, but it does not flow out. But... even for the dead, the fish of the Dead Sea, there is hope, the Hope remaining to men who have not met and taken hold of the Life which Jesus brought have... until they run out of time:

"And it shall come to pass, that the fishers shall stand upon it from Engedi even unto Eneglaim; they shall be a place to spread forth nets; their fish shall be according to their kinds, as the fish of the great sea [great sea = Dead Sea], exceeding many." Ezek 47:10