Should Christians use the name YHWH?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
Should Christians use the name YHWH when referring to God? I understand all the history behind how names changed and how the Jews do not pronounce or write the names. But Jesus says there is no name under heaven but His that we can be saved. Does this mean we should only use the name Jesus or God? Was YHWH a name only to be used up to the Messiah?

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
Yes. God has been, is, and will always be. So His name stays.Yahweh!

MWM

Feb 16, 2008
I agree as well. I have always called him Yahweh. I even sometimes call Him Abba. But I mostly just say God, or Christ.
smile.gif

Semachiah

Apr 7, 2008
Shalom,It really doesn't matter. First JESUS name is not JESUS but more correctly pronounced Y'SHUA and yet how many people profess that name when they come to accept their salvation from YHVH? It is not the actual name that matters but the intent of the sayer.As English speaking people we often say JEHOVAH or YAHWEH for YHVH but we no longer really know what letter should go in there it is only our assumptions that lead us to pronounce it that way and what is easier for us. In addition look to the point that you don't even spell it YHVH but your anglicize it with the 'W' derived from YAHWEH.The more common use in Hebrew is to refer to HASHEM because YHVH are actually just four letters representing the phrase, "HE was, HE is, and HE will be" indicating that HE is timeless and infinite. The name itself is never pronounced as you know and in part as I have indicated because of the lost knowledge of which vowels to insert. Generally as a rule of the Jews when in prayer the YHVH is pronounce "ADONAI" indicating that YHVH is MASTER of All. Most often at all other times it is pronounce as HASHEM meaning "The NAME." Another version that most are familiar with is "ELOHIM" which is a vowelization of HASHEM in the original Hebrew and indicates a plural being or state.Then comes the controversial part as to Y'SHUA as YHVH. This is actually a long study and not one fit for this space. Basically the argument holds however that Y'SHUA was not YHVH while He was on the earth. That now He is LORD but only because YHVH has placed Him in a position as such because of His life on earth but once the time of earth is over (another phrase that needs to be studied out) then He and the united Body will become a part of YHVH again. "IF", this position is true then He cannot be called YHVH or it is disrespectful to YHVH and takes from His authority. This position also holds that He is the Sacrificial Lamb of YHVH and thus cannot be YHVH HIMself for many reasons but that He is the only way to get to YHVH thus He is the only way for one to become saved (saved is an ongoing act that is never complete until one physically dies or the Rapture of the Church occurs. Until such time all beings are Born Again Believers).From all of this to say the name of JESUS is actually a misnomer. To say that JESUS or Y'SHUA is YHVH is another misnomer.More importantly YHVH is able to see through our words and into our intentions and that is what is truly important.PERSON NOTE: I write using YHVH to indicate the name of G_D out of respect for HIM and my father as well as my heritage and because it is easier than typing G_D for me.In addition I use Y'SHUA because His name was not JESUS.BUT, when I speak I call YHVH GOD and Y'SHUA JESUS so as not to confuse people. i want them to be able to follow what I am saying and as Paul indicated He became all things to all people in order to hopefully win one!

Mikey

Jan 22, 2008
Thank you everyone for your answers. I have another question if you don't mind:)What is the significance of the Tetragrammaton when written stacked instead of from left to right?

Semachiah

Apr 7, 2008
Shalom,Artistic rendering with no added religious significance really. Some may add their own and that is fine but that is simply their own. I guess I should add that there are many, shall we say, "mystical" groups even with Judaism that try to make something out of it like tying it to Jacob's ladder or explaining that this was always YHVH's intention for it is true to HIS relationship with man or something else but really, it's just artistic.