Should members need to disclose their denomination?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hey, thanks for the many responses.

As things stand, one could belong to any cult and claim the title Christian, and it wouldn't be questioned...

I have had about 5 years on CF and folks are happy to disclose JW, Mormon, SDA, whatever, and they get respect.

What is avoided is unwittingly wrestling with someone from that quarter who is hiding behind the title 'Christian'.

Of course the title Christian is also in question because definitions vary.

I don't want to upset the apple cart, but I think it would be better to disclose not just the present affiliation but maybe a little of ones journey.

For the record I was Baptist in my teens, fell away 11 years, came back during the Jesus movement in the 70's, attended an non denominational bible college, attended various non denom. churches, had 7 years out of church during which time I ran a home fellowship. Then of all things I get a strong call to return to an anglican church.

So there it is...

In my view the title Christian, on this forum, is pretty much meaningless.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SOLUTION :, if you didnt allow those TOPICS to be DISCUSSED

Worst possible approach. Anti-Scriptural.

I am a Biblical unitarian attending a non-denominational church (that formerly was Methodist).

For the Lord is the Spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.
2 Cor 3:17

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
We've had a pretty large contingent of them for well over a year now, at least in terms of representation on a percentage basis, and as a result that debate has been the continual focus of this forum month after month, and is constantly running in multiple threads without end.

In their defense, at least some of the Jehovah's Witnesses have been very open about their denomination, Aunty Jane in particular, so it is not as if all of them are failing to disclose. But as for members being forced to accurately identify on their Profile (and in their avatar box)... yeah, I think it would be more honest, to tell you the truth. In light of the current situation, I think everyone should be doing so.

@lforrest.

This is why there is a personal statement of faith people can fill out.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never is the title "Christian" meaningless. Perhaps less precise than <denomination> but as another pointed out, that may not fully reflect an individual's beliefs.

I too like the idea of declaring denomination but for different reasons.

I thought forums dedicated to denominational focus would be fruitful. Regarding the 6 fires running everyday that @Behold listed:
  1. Prove the Trinity
  2. KJV is the devil
  3. Water Baptism is Salvation
  4. You can Lose your salvation.
  5. OSAS
  6. Catholic, Mary, Sacraments, and similar..
We ought to keep in mind that we are here for discussion as iron sharpens iron. Putting religion aside, discussion is why people join forums. If the forum topic is history, anyone can read study up on their own the Orthodox/Conventional causes of the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, British Empire, WWII, the Kennedy Assassination, UFO's or other Conspiracies, etc.

IMO every generation has to discover anew what is true. Challenging Conventional Wisdom either polishes or chips away what cannot stand up to scrutiny. I love being alive in this era where the internet allows people to discuss their common interests. I love Christianity Board for this reason, to allow such a forum. God bless! :cool:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is avoided is unwittingly wrestling with someone from that quarter who is hiding behind the title 'Christian'.
Isn't that part of the work of the "Full Armoured soldiers" Of Christ? But
wrestling "not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against
powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual
wickedness in high places." (Eph 6:12)?

Why would we "avoid it"? We can present The Gospel Of GRACE (planting),
and discuss it/answer questions Scripturally (watering), and then they can
either "receive The Love Of The Truth," or reject It, Correct?

In my experience (on another forum), 2Th 2:3 was "bitterly fought
about, biting and devouring one another" with 156,000 postings, so,
I believe this type of Endless "beating To Death the of the lifeless horse"
in some threads is the UNnecessary "unwitting wrestling," when God
Does Have A Clear Command that needs to be heeded to "avoid"
disobedience/irreverence
to Him:

Rom 16:17 "Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions
and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them."

Simple, Under God's Amazing GRACE, Correct?

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

GRACE And Peace! The apostle of GRACE (2 Min With The BIBLE)

FULL study:
Paul, The apostle Of GRACE (Part I)
Paul, The apostle Of GRACE (Part II)

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Church of God General Conference.

HOME

And yourself?
No wonder I agree with most everything you say, on this site, and another one. You are one of my top 6 denominations I love, although not a member of any of them.

Reactions: Matthias

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As things stand, one could belong to any cult and claim the title Christian, and it wouldn't be questioned...
Whose questions, other than God's ultimately matter? Who would qualify to judge the answers other than God?

As to the label of Christian, I am careful about using that for myself without being willing or able to clarify what I mean by it.

To me it is one who striving to understand what Jesus wants to show us and to strive to surrender to the will of God. People are in different places on that. God knows all of those places. Who else does?

I have had about 5 years on CF and folks are happy to disclose JW, Mormon, SDA, whatever, and they get respect.
Pharisees received the respect of men, at least outwardly, but Jesus saw through their facade. Hopefully, we are looking for more than what those Pharisees of old received... that is respect and/or honor of carnal men.

Of course the title Christian is also in question because definitions vary.
Yes, the definitions vary, what eyes a man has to see is where the truth is seen... or not!

"And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear." Matt 13:14-16

Who is it that has the eyes and ears as per 13:16?

I don't want to upset the apple cart, but I think it would be better to disclose not just the present affiliation but maybe a little of ones journey.
Have not all of us been dead in our sins?

Is not the important thing what is in our heart in this moment?

For the record I was Baptist in my teens, fell away 11 years, came back during the Jesus movement in the 70's, attended an non denominational bible college, attended various non denom. churches, had 7 years out of church during which time I ran a home fellowship. Then of all things I get a strong call to return to an anglican church.

So there it is...

Not only on this forum is the title/label meaningless. Saul/Paul had a whole string of accomplishments as Pharisee before he met Jesus on the road to Damascus. With all his education and biblical knowledge was he not persecuting those in the Way, those who truly believed in Jesus as the Messiah? What good things did Saul/Paul accomplish with all of that before he met Jesus?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think Carl makes a fairly good point, however. I'm not for pigeonholing people on their beliefs based solely on their denominational affiliation, but I'm even less for debating with people and them playing around with me for weeks or even months on end when they actually subscribe to a particular theological system but are not disclosing it. It's similar to the discussion we had about churches of a particular denomination no longer disclosing it to the public. In worst case scenarios, as you know, the Gnostics identify as "Christian" as well, and actually hate and despise the Old Testament God of the Jews, considering Him the Devil. Others - and I mean MANY others - question many other central tenets of the Christian faith while likewise still listing themselves as "Christian."

Granted, people eventually get found out by their post content, but I'm not one for people wearing disguises. I find it deceitful. It's virtually the same thing as using false identities, which there are rules against here. Given that there are different definitions as to what a Christian truly is and what a true Christian believes, I think it would be better if everyone listed their denominational affiliations from the outset, so that both the mature and those new in the faith would have a better idea going in of exactly what it is they are dealing with.

Reactions: Carl Emerson

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I forgot to mention this, but while not all people are forthcoming in their statement of faith, you also have others who don't allow their profile page to even be viewed, which complicates matters even further.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have a denomination.
The Lord has me and I have him and that's all that matters to me.
I was baptised into a catholic church. My mom was catholic until they disowned her for marrying a protestant.
But my parents weren't religious. The bible never came up for discussion. My dad would play records when I was little "Jesus loves me this I know because the bible tells me so" . I don't remember saying prayers at night except one "now I lay me down to sleep"
When I turned 17 I went to a southern baptist church and got baptised again. Learned about damnation and hellfire.
Went to a charismatic church ones where everyone was laying hands on everyone. That made me uncomfortable.
I been to a gospel church where people were PRAISIN the LORD and dancin in the aisles.

But I just read the bible for myself. I let the Lord open up my understanding to what he wants me to know.
Sometimes I may get the interpretation wrong, maybe too much pride or wax in the ears.
But for the most part, it's what He puts in my heart.
I speak what I understand and how I understand it. I don't say things because people like what I may say or not.
It's not about pleasing other people, it's about pleasing God.

And I believe we all do the best we can with our limited intelligence and the things other people have said that stick with us through this walk of life.
The important thing isn't what denomination or doctrine you follow. It's are you following the spirit of the Lord which he put in you.
Because every man is given his own journey, and challenges and trials.
There are no signposts telling us to go this way or that. Just be truthful. Even if your misunderstanding or learning new things, Just be truthful.

I been called a Calvanist? A new ager? and a mariad of other "labels" . Most of them I don't understand what they represent or what they teach.
I'm not a teacher. I'm a sojourner walking through this life doing the best I can with what God gives me, hoping to share my life with other like minded God fearing, Jesus Loving people.

Is there a denomination out there like me?
I think it's called God's church. And we're all apart of it. Like a puzzle with many pieces. We all fit somewhere.

God Bless
Hugs

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If by "respect" you mean systematically denied that they were Christians, banned to the "Non-Christian debate" section wherein even there they were forbidden from starting threads, speaking about their love of Christ, and only permitted to respond to "Christians" throwing rocks at them. The worst offender being a ex "Christian" pastor whom literally would rather see a person dead than join a "cult".

Yes, the title "Christian" can every meaningless-- that former pastors clearly does not know Christ (to name just one in a million examples). But Christ Himself acknowledge that the wheat & stares grow up intermingled, and will only be separated in the last days.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cult
In modern English, a cult is a social group that is defined by its unusual religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs and rituals, or its common interest in a particular personality, object, or goal.Wikipedia

1Co 4:9 For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men.

Is Christianity a "cult" ?

Reactions: JohnPaul

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
If by "respect" you mean systematically denied that they were Christians, banned to the "Non-Christian debate" section wherein even there they were forbidden from starting threads, speaking about their love of Christ, and only permitted to respond to "Christians" throwing rocks at them. The worst offender being a ex "Christian" pastor whom literally would rather see a person dead than join a "cult".

Yes, I have no doubt this happens, I am sorry for your bad experience.

I have watched your threads and understand your frustration.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Cult
In modern English, a cult is a social group that is defined by its unusual religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs and rituals, or its common interest in a particular personality, object, or goal.Wikipedia

1Co 4:9 For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men.

Is Christianity a "cult" ?
@Ziggy
Often a cult is by definition a group which has unScriptural ideas about the Person and work of Christ.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy
Often a cult is by definition a group which has unScriptural ideas about the Person and work of Christ.
Cult definition:
a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Here? That's nothing compare to the toxicity of ChristianForums.
In the end doctrine is crucially important; whether the background is hidden or not, if false doctrine is held, then this becomes the key issue which cannot be explained away by the idea of whether people are being pleasant enough. Of course is it good to be respectful.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here? That's nothing compare to the toxicity of ChristianForums.
CF is toxic. I got warned for speaking out against politicians. Told I couldn't call myself Christian for having a vision of Heavenly Mother (which is a Catholic belief). They are highly liberal and in my opinion should be avoided. Often supporting homosexual threads.

I spent a few years on CF.

Last edited:

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I don't have a denomination.
The Lord has me and I have him and that's all that matters to me.
I was baptised into a catholic church. My mom was catholic until they disowned her for marrying a protestant.
But my parents weren't religious. The bible never came up for discussion. My dad would play records when I was little "Jesus loves me this I know because the bible tells me so" . I don't remember saying prayers at night except one "now I lay me down to sleep"
When I turned 17 I went to a southern baptist church and got baptised again. Learned about damnation and hellfire.
Went to a charismatic church ones where everyone was laying hands on everyone. That made me uncomfortable.
I been to a gospel church where people were PRAISIN the LORD and dancin in the aisles.

But I just read the bible for myself. I let the Lord open up my understanding to what he wants me to know.
Sometimes I may get the interpretation wrong, maybe too much pride or wax in the ears.
But for the most part, it's what He puts in my heart.
I speak what I understand and how I understand it. I don't say things because people like what I may say or not.
It's not about pleasing other people, it's about pleasing God.

And I believe we all do the best we can with our limited intelligence and the things other people have said that stick with us through this walk of life.
The important thing isn't what denomination or doctrine you follow. It's are you following the spirit of the Lord which he put in you.
Because every man is given his own journey, and challenges and trials.
There are no signposts telling us to go this way or that. Just be truthful. Even if your misunderstanding or learning new things, Just be truthful.

I been called a Calvanist? A new ager? and a mariad of other "labels" . Most of them I don't understand what they represent or what they teach.
I'm not a teacher. I'm a sojourner walking through this life doing the best I can with what God gives me, hoping to share my life with other like minded God fearing, Jesus Loving people.

Is there a denomination out there like me?
I think it's called God's church. And we're all apart of it. Like a puzzle with many pieces. We all fit somewhere.

God Bless
Hugs

As a matter of interest - My Mum and dad were both excommunicated because she was RC and he was Salvation Army. They were married in an Anglican church. There were only 5 at the wedding and in desperation the taxi driver was co-opted by the Vicar as a witness. You are not alone !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano and Ziggy
Status
Not open for further replies.