Should members need to disclose their denomination?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ziggy
Often a cult is by definition a group which has unScriptural ideas about the Person and work of Christ.
I would think the word Cult would come from the word culture.
I wonder if the Jews in the synagogue felt that christianity was a cult?
Because the reason they killed Jesus was because he was teaching "according to them" unscriptual ideas.
It's not a cult to us because we believe what Jesus said.
But to other people who do not believe in christianity, they would consider us a cult, no?

It really don't matter to me one way or another, it's just another label.
just thinking..
hugs

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
As a matter of interest - My Mum and dad were both excommunicated because she was RC and he was salvation army. They were married in an Anglican church. There were only 5 at the wedding and in desperation the taxi driver was co-opted by the Vicar as a witness. You are not alone !!!
If it was in Christ Church Cathedral (burnt down now...), that would be a lot of space for a small wedding party....

Many or few at a wedding, this is not really a crucial thing, although I expect your parents regretted the small numbers at the time.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@devin553344 Even more than practices which might give the appearance of a cult, it's false doctrine at the heart - which should be shown up by Scripture - which is truly disturbing about a cult.
Also farouk. Half the people on forums like this deny half of the bible and focus on a few scriptural passages for their beliefs. Then perhaps people on forums like this would call each other's beliefs a cult. Let's hope insults don't happen like that.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was about to say something like:
I would think most cults would have some kind of initiation that you would have to participate in to become a member.
And then I thought.. well, baptism is an initiation one has to have in order to become a christian.
In the OT a stranger had to have their ear bore through with an awl.
There is always a pact or a contract or covenant to be made.

The bible says you are servants to whom you obey.
I can't think of a truer statement than that.
You can either serve God or man.
That's the choice we have been given from the beginning.
It hasn't changed.

As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.
thinkin..

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We seem to have a raft of folks arguing against the trinity and the identity of Jesus.

If members were unable to hide behind the term 'Christian' it would save a lot of time.

Thoughts... ???

**deeeeeeeep breath**
THANK YOU!!!!!! Ohh i could swing from the chandeliers with joy over this post. :D:D

No doubt, you are experiencing what i do everyday on here. Some days i keep it together, other days its all i can do to not karate punch the walls. But what you’re experiencing is there is no separation of denominations and you realize very quickly how far apart we are, despite being “christian.”

Now i am a full 5 pt calvinist presbyterian who reads the WCF and our catechisms daily. And i think theres only 2 other presbyterians on this place. When i have real theology questions, i goto the reformed forums to ask them. On here, its mostly small talk/arguing.

i have asked repeatedly the admins to give us separate denomination groups, i get crickets in response. So, the wild west it is around here.

:cool::cool:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my view the title Christian, on this forum, is pretty much meaningless.
The only two denominations left that really matter are Bible-believing Christians and ... all the rest.

Yeah, it might be interesting if members had to disclose whether they are Bible-believers or not.

Whole lotta so-called Christians out there that hold the Bible in no high regard.

Reactions: dev553344

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
In the OT a stranger had to have their ear bore through with an awl.
There is always a pact or a contract or covenant to be made.

Mmmm... there wouldn't be many Messianic's if they had to follow that procedure... :(

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If members were unable to hide behind the term 'Christian' it would save a lot of time.
No there is no need for anyone to disclose their denomination (of lack thereof). Each person posts as an individual, not a representative of his or her denomination. However, the denominational biases are evident in the posts.

Reactions: JohnPaul

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If by "respect" you mean systematically denied that they were Christians, banned to the "Non-Christian debate" section wherein even there they were forbidden from starting threads, speaking about their love of Christ, and only permitted to respond to "Christians" throwing rocks at them. The worst offender being a ex "Christian" pastor whom literally would rather see a person dead than join a "cult".

Yes, the title "Christian" can every meaningless-- that former pastors clearly does not know Christ (to name just one in a million examples). But Christ Himself acknowledge that the wheat & stares grow up intermingled, and will only be separated in the last days.
You're talking to a guy who was banned from his original forum and joined up here to start the same trouble, he's a newbee and dare come over here starting trouble by calling certain faiths cults, put him on ignore.

I'm Christian and am non-denominational but Christian so according to his philosophy what denomination do I pick?

Last edited:

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For everyone else, I think yes. The question is: IS IT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU? You would say yes. But sometimes we just don't know what's good enough for us. You could be missing out on communion with the Holt Spirit, Who we are baptized by. Are you the Temple of the Holy Spirit? Has He confirmed His presence and communion with you, because that is what is crucially important, being born again. This is what the Parable of the Virgins was all about. Half of them did not have oil in their lamps. The oil symbolocally represents the Holy Spirit. They missed out on LIFE. They thought what they had was good enough.
Do you have OIL for your lamp?
I never considered myself Born Again, as I never stopped believing, and have always had a relationship with Jehovah and Christ, and am still learning since I've left the RCC.

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why there is a personal statement of faith people can fill out.
My faith is that Jehovah is God and Christ his only begotten son, that's my faith and yes I am Christian and not here to fool anyone as Carl the newbee is suggesting about people of certain Christian faiths.

P.S. I've changed my settings to allow everyone to see my profile page so they can see I'm not hiding anything.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mmmm... there wouldn't be many Messianic's if they had to follow that procedure... :(
I think it's a lot harder to change the inside than it is to change the outward appearance.
Although there was circumcision. And a lot of people in the OT were a lot older than 8 days when they had to have that procedure.
Specially if you were an outsider and wanted to join Israel and it's promises.
Today for most, it's a medical procedure done in the hospital. No belief factor needed.

A lot of people today getting piercings and tatoos, some for gang initiation, other's because it's a statement or just a want.

But no matter what you do to the outside, it's the inside that matters.
And to me, spiritually speaking, having ones ear awled, means only listening to the word of the Lord.
Having your nose pierced is allowing him to lead you.
And a contract or covenant is a promise to put none before him, not even self.
That's a hard one because most people are just plain selfish. It's human nature.
But we are told to lay down our lives, our wants, our desires and follow after Jesus and his ways and his wants.
And learning what all that is involved in that.

I think it's harder to let your inner self be denied, than to put holes or marks in your body.
That's why following the beast is so much easier. There is no internal change. All you need is an awl or some ink.

Just rambling..
hugs

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My faith is that Jehovah is God and Christ his only begotten son, that's my faith and yes I am Christian and not here to fool anyone as Carl the newbee is suggesting about people of certain Christian faiths.

P.S. I've changed my settings to allow everyone to see my profile page so they can see I'm not hiding anything.

so you’re not a Trinitarian??

JohnPaul

Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so you dont believe Jesus was in Heaven when the Father created the universe?
I believe that Christ is the Son of Jehovah, who was sent here to wash away the sins of the world.

Jehovah created Christ, hence the only begotten Son of Jehovah.

Status
Not open for further replies.