Should members need to disclose their denomination?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He’s on ignore already, so you being a Mormon believe Jehovah’s Witnesses are a cult?
Belief in the afterlife is one of many areas where denomination matters.

Majority of Protestants belief that your “test” is turned in at e moment of your mortal death. Many denominations believe that certain beleifs are required to be saved and enter Heaven (such as accepting Christ as your Savior and God). There’s a million different denominations with their own specifics here.

JW believe that all non-JW completely eliminated after death.

LDS Christians (“Mormons”) believe that a person can embrace Christ and repent after death so it’s entirely possible that people whom are non-Christians during this life will fully embrace Him.

Etc.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure adding a denomination to a persons profile would save any arguing, people can type anything they want when they come to a forum. It doesn’t actually prove a single thing. Personally I am just as fed up with all the arguments over the trinity, however all I know is that I have faith and trust in the Lord Jesus Christ, The only thing I could write on my profile is ‘ Christian ‘ because I follow Christ. I am non denominational.
The issue is not with how people are defined, but how people choose to treat others that disagree with them.
When you enter a church do you have to offer a description of what you believe, or are you welcomed as a visitor and encouraged to stay and share fellowship. Half the time you don’t know who you are sitting next too and discussions and debates take place in smaller groups.
Never before in all my years of encountering other believers in different environments have I encountered so many that accuse others of not being a Christian than here In this forum. Even on this thread it has happened. So many wear a hat of judgement over others.
Where people stand with The Lord , well it’s between him and them. He knows each of us, he knows our hearts ………he knows what we believe and can work within us all.
Rita

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe he is the Son of God, Sons and Daughters don’t just come into existence by themselves.
It isn't necessary to use our logic - which says that the Son and the Father can't both be God - when it comes to spiritual matters or the three persons of the Godhead we should be using our faith
and allowing the Holy Spirit to show us the truth. Obviously if we already KNOW the truth then the Holy Spirit is redundant.
John 16:13
But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One good thing about this thread is it has exposed an enormous amount of heresy on it. As a presbyterian, we are a confessional based denomination, and while our members can disagree over trivial things like baby baptism vs credo baptism, our officers cannot. And we believe in a very fenced in communion table. While we would welcome our baptist brethren, we would not be so welcoming to groups like LDS, JW, unitarians, universalists and such.

Mugre Pinzon

Oct 4, 2019
Fairbanks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Non-denominational Believer here... I do lean towards Calvary Chapel churches, but there aren't any in my area.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
None-denominational/New Testament Christian and believer in the three in one Godhead.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One good thing about this thread is it has exposed an enormous amount of heresy on it. As a presbyterian, we are a confessional based denomination, and while our members can disagree over trivial things like baby baptism vs credo baptism, our officers cannot. And we believe in a very fenced in communion table. While we would welcome our baptist brethren, we would not be so welcoming to groups like LDS, JW, unitarians, universalists and such.
Here is a diverse group of beliefs.

If anyone is looking specifically for one denomination, there are an abundance of denomination-specific forums out there.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a diverse group of beliefs.

If anyone is looking specifically for one denomination, there are an abundance of denomination-specific forums out there.

very true. And when i have actual questions about theology, i goto those specific forums as opposed to here. This forum is for small talk/ arguing. The amount of bad theology far outweighs good theology on here.

what i am noticing is that im not alone (yay!!) when it comes to asking for separate denomination sections on here.

Bob Carabbio

Aug 3, 2016
Dallas, TX
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We seem to have a raft of folks arguing against the trinity and the identity of Jesus.

If members were unable to hide behind the term 'Christian' it would save a lot of time.

Thoughts... ???

Personally, I've been Assembly of God for MOST of the last 57 years, but got cross-bred in the '70s by the Charismatic Movement. SO while I'm still a member in the AG, I'm actually a Non-Denominational, Non-Systematic, Calvinist-leaning, Theological Eclectic.

Reactions: Wrangler

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Majority of Protestants belief that your “test” is turned in at e moment of your mortal death. Many denominations believe that certain beleifs are required to be saved and enter Heaven (such as accepting Christ as your Savior and God). There’s a million different denominations with their own specifics here.

LDS Christians (“Mormons”) believe that a person can embrace Christ and repent after death so it’s entirely possible that people whom are non-Christians during this life will fully embrace Him.

Etc.
Thank you for explaining Jane.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're talking to a guy who was banned from his original forum and joined up here to start the same trouble, he's a newbee and dare come overhear starting trouble by calling certain faiths cults, put him on ignore.

I'm Christian and am non-denominational but Christian so according to his philosophy what denomination do I pick?
The only solid foundation anybody has to stand upon is the Bible.

Everything else is just sand.

All denominations are lacking somewhere.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We seem to have a raft of folks arguing against the trinity and the identity of Jesus.

If members were unable to hide behind the term 'Christian' it would save a lot of time.

Thoughts... ???
I'm reaching my fill of that myself.

Controversy creates clicks, but not edification.

We are on a Trinitarian Christian forum which adopted the policy to encourage attacks on the deity of Jesus Christ.

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't want to upset the apple cart,
Sometimes it's best to just give it a toss! Myself, I'm already looking for a new forum. I don't like that, but like @Behold said, there is so much time and energy on the basics, when do we ever go deep?

There is always someone ready to challenge you over the plain things in Scripture.

There will always be a host of poor arguments, poor logic, misquoted Scripture, bad attitudes, all of that, because truth is what it is, and when you aren't arguing for truth, that's what you are left with. Freedom is only found in truth.

Much love!

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
"But we desire to hear of thee what thou thinkest: for as concerning this sect, we know that every where it is spoken against." Acts 28:22

T.S.E.S.A.

There is nothing that is more unpopular than the truth.
i heard a great def of “truth” a while back, that has stuck with me; “that thing that you cannot hear”

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The present situation makes it hard to raise serious theological issues without the topic being hijacked by members pushing fringe theologies. Anyway thanks for all who participated in this discussion.
Yes, that's the problem. I appreciate your thread!

Much love!

Reactions: Pearl

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Controversy creates clicks, but not edification
wadr i think having it your way would mean a kind of death

We are on a Trinitarian Christian forum which adopted the policy to encourage attacks on the deity of Jesus Christ.
im not in love with excluding those honest enough to admit of a diff faith, but at the same time i have been on forums where even dividing sects into separate forums resulted in what seemed to me to be mostly mutual admiration clubs.

Also been on forums that would have banned you for your last statement here! You would look long and hard to find a better run forum, imo. I have come to see that everyone neednt agree with me for me to walk with them.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The present situation makes it hard to raise serious theological issues without the topic being hijacked by members pushing fringe theologies. Anyway thanks for all who participated in this discussion.
are you asking for peace then, CE? I would suggest that we all examine our definitions of “belief,” which always suggested to me “subject to change,” when that really does not seem to be operable in most “believers,” huh? We mostly “believe” our own Absolute Truths, i think, me included, but then we get offended when someone does not agree, as if!

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

Etc.
i have just recently started wondering if we dont debate the irrelevancies, and pretty much all agree, more or less, on a part that is not true :)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Never before in all my years of encountering other believers in different environments have I encountered so many that accuse others of not being a Christian than here In this forum. Even on this thread it has happened. So many wear a hat of judgement over others
there was a time when i would have lobbied for their ban myself; but after all, arent they the ones who most need a ministry?

Reactions: Rita

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
wadr i think having it your way would mean a kind of death
The Bible teaches us against endless arguments and arguing over words, and all sorts of things that are routine here, so maybe something could benefit by dying?

Which would you prefer . . . ad clicks, or spiritual building up? Or are you thinking these are mutually agreeable?

Also been on forums that would have banned you for your last statement here! You would look long and hard to find a better run forum, imo. I have come to see that everyone neednt agree with me for me to walk with them.

And some would have banned you a long time ago, and so what?

Not all things edify.

Mutual admiration clubs . . . is that what harmonious discussion seems in your eyes?

But just the same, we are in fact on a Trinitarian forum, which makes quite clear that's what it is, but in name only now.

It's amazing what happens when you have commercial goals intertwined with spiritual pursuits. And it's also amazing to me, how completely different life, and social interactions are, in the Spirit, rather than the flesh. And towards what part of a man does controversy attract?

Much love!

Status
Not open for further replies.